Advice/Help what do you look for in a writing partner?

truedaedra

i am curious about what you would look for in a writing partner. things you look for when you’re writing.
i’m hoping that i can improve my writing and pick up tips and advice to improve my writing skills.
though i have been roleplaying for many years, it’s never too late to learn new things.

Grammar is very key for me. I don't want to read something like; w8 4 m, budy! Cnt kep up!
Short hand isn't a key to an rp, everyone will be outright confused on what your writing. Capitalize the letters of each sentence; including I.
Length of a post is key as well. I dread trying to get a paragraph's worth of detail from a single line of post.
Maturity is outright is key when rping. I dislike trying to deal with someone that wants everything to go their way and complain about it when it doesn't.

I honestly don't care as much about stuff like length as I care about responses sounding natural (no rambling purple prose) and partners being really dedicated to cooperation. It's cool when someone has their own personal voice but I like feeling like my partner is actively trying to make room for me (or other players) so it's easy to respond. And I try to do the same of course. I just get frustrated sometimes when a partner writes something that makes me go........ how on earth do I respond to this. Someone who is good at communicating ooc is really great too.

Grammar is very key for me. I don't want to read something like; w8 4 m, budy! Cnt kep up!
Short hand isn't a key to an rp, everyone will be outright confused on what your writing. Capitalize the letters of each sentence; including I.
Length of a post is key as well. I dread trying to get a paragraph's worth of detail from a single line of post.
Maturity is outright is key when rping. I dislike trying to deal with someone that wants everything to go their way and complain about it when it doesn't.

I see, thank you for your input!

I honestly don't care as much about stuff like length as I care about responses sounding natural (no rambling purple prose) and partners being really dedicated to cooperation. It's cool when someone has their own personal voice but I like feeling like my partner is actively trying to make room for me (or other players) so it's easy to respond. And I try to do the same of course. I just get frustrated sometimes when a partner writes something that makes me go........ how on earth do I respond to this. Someone who is good at communicating ooc is really great too.

Makes sense, i appreciate your input!

1.) Someone that is eager as I am to create a world where we can put our characters.

2.) Someone that is not an asshole. You can usually tell right off the bat whether this partnership is doomed to fail when they start talking about how bad their prior experiences were or even discuss former partners, like what does that have to do with me?

3.) Someone that will actually put in as much effort as I do. It's a collective team not one person doing all the work.

4.) Someone interested in detail, character thoughts, and so on. I've seen people able to express themselves in two paragraphs and in seven. I don't care if you do two paragraphs I want detail.

5.) Someone that will utilize spell check or whatever resource that can help grammar wise. I'm not into having to decipher what a post means.

6.) Someone that won't rush to say: "I only play girl characters or I double." Automatic pass.

7.) Communication.

8.) Someone that can move the story ahead too.

9.) Someone patient.

10.) Someone that is able to separate a rolplay from real life.

1.) Someone that is eager as I am to create a world where we can put our characters.

2.) Someone that is not an asshole. You can usually tell right off the bat whether this partnership is doomed to fail when they start talking about how bad their prior experiences were or even discuss former partners, like what does that have to do with me?

3.) Someone that will actually put in as much effort as I do. It's a collective team not one person doing all the work.

4.) Someone interested in detail, character thoughts, and so on. I've seen people able to express themselves in two paragraphs and in seven. I don't care if you do two paragraphs I want detail.

5.) Someone that will utilize spell check or whatever resource that can help grammar wise. I'm not into having to decipher what a post means.

6.) Someone that won't rush to say: "I only play girl characters or I double." Automatic pass.

7.) Communication.

8.) Someone that can move the story ahead too.

9.) Someone patient.

10.) Someone that is able to separate a rolplay from real life.

I see. What does “I double” mean?

Actually based on the “I only play females” part what they are referencing is romantic ratios.

Ex. Susie does not like playing males but she likes malexfemale romance. So she tells Jan “I only play females but I’ll double.”

What this means is that Jan has to play a male character for Susie. Preferably a male character that is in a romantic relationship with Susie’s female character.

If Jan also wants to play a female than Susie is offering to play a male who is in a romantic relationship with Jan’s female character.

It’s supposed to be “fair” but it’s really just Susie guilting Jan into playing a male character.

Typically Susie just kinda half asses her male character and focuses all her attention on her female one.

Moral of the story: Don’t be Susie. She’s onboxious.

Actually based on the “I only play females” part what they are referencing is romantic ratios.

Ex. Susie does not like playing males but she likes malexfemale romance. So she tells Jan “I only play females but I’ll double.”

What this means is that Jan has to play a male character for Susie. Preferably a male character that is in a romantic relationship with Susie’s female character.

If Jan also wants to play a female than Susie is offering to play a male who is in a romantic relationship with Jan’s female character.

It’s supposed to be “fair” but it’s really just Susie guilting Jan into playing a male character.

Typically Susie just kinda half asses her male character and focuses all her attention on her female one.

Moral of the story: Don’t be Susie. She’s onboxious.

ah, i see, thank you for explaining. (:

Well, for starters I am a big believer in the "everyone should get a chance" philosophy, though the bar for that chance may be high. For me there are four pillars of what someone needs to be a good partner:

1.) Be a decent human being whom I can get along with : This is hardly a difficult condition, but still needed. It's not hard to be friendly and polite. It's a little harder to be understanding, but it's ok to have a couple slip ups. It's easier not to bully people than to bully them. And so on and so forth. Though being an engaging person, open, communicative, cheerful, having a good sense of humor... those are all some great points!

2.) Respect with my writing style : This is a bit harder, as I am a bit picky regarding my style and needs. Specifically, it's pretty much all non-negotiable, yet some aspects are very niche. I like writing in first person, but I do ask my partners to do the same, but I do need them to roleplay on threads cause I won't do so anywhere else. That's what respecting my writing style is about, basically letting me roleplay the way I like to roleplay. Not incurring in my limits is also one of them, though that one straddles the line between points 2 and 1.

3.) Give me an experience : I am a detailed roleplayer, a planner by nature, and a passionate worldbuilder. But even that does not fully describe my love for structure and detail. I want big posts because those will often contain what I really want: I want plot and action, yes, but more than that I want to feel it grow get the atmosphere of the scene. For me, writing that only conveys the essentials is lackluster, plain, boring. Show me the character's thoughts, reasoning, state of mind! Show me perspective and flavor up those descriptions! Take the time to set things up and showcase the wonders of the world you're creating, not as a list, but in their real splendor. In my partners, I look for people who won't make the roleplay feel like a turn-based puppet show.

4.) Show me enthusiasm! : Last but not least, it's not worth it if you're not enjoying yourself too! Sure there will inevitably be down times and times with less motivation or action we need to push through, but before that occurs, even as we plan, please show me that you really care for the idea. The more passionate my partner is about an idea, the more motivated I tend to feel to really crank out all the details and to dedicate more of my time to it. If they, on the other hand, lack innitiative or seem more annoyed with the conversation than interested, that can really just shut down my interest in it as well. They probably wouldn't give their all anyway.

There are a few others things, but those are really the main ones. Other matters include that I don't like it when people use terms like "submissive" and "dominant" when describing characters, I like partners who are familiar with the genre of ideas which I want to roleplay and their tropes, not being afraid to indulge in or subvert them while being aware of them. I of course like partners who like anime since I myself am often havily inspired by it and my sheets use anime faceclaims.

Hope you liked this post or found it useful! Good luck and happy RPing!

Last edited:
Chemistry. It's what you get when your partner can pick up on the hints and the little details you slip into your posts. Even better: When they build on those details, and add their own flavour into them. All without (explicitly) discussing them in OOC.

I really enjoy someone that has proper grammar, an eagerness to expand on ideas, and chemistry ICC and OCC. It's nice to have someone you can talk to freely when I am between posts or just taking a small break from postings. I suppose attedence is rather important, too! I don't mind slow postings, but it's rather disheartening when there is no communication between partners when they just disappear for extended periods.

I just want someone who is nice and can also be a friend outside of the RP. Some of my best RP partners I've had in the past became very close friends with me, and we'd constantly just be chatting and joking about our characters and silly situations we'd put them in OOC. Ugh, those were the days man.

As well as that I also like my partners to be as enthusiastic about writing as me. I don't need them to write 100000s of words in their replies, but enough to give me the juicy details. Two paragraphs minimum is great but more is perfect <3

My main concern is rping with someone who it is easy to go back and forth with. Pages worth of writing isn't necessary, but I definitely need something to work with, so I usually look for someone who regularly writes 2+ paragraphs in a response. Enthusiasm and consistency is pretty nice too. I like longterm rps, so having someone who enjoys that and is committed really helps.

Flexibility. I come up with ideas from Chaotic apocalyptic settings to comedic love stories that typically end in the other going "what the f". If you're someone that enjoys fighting off space pirates one day, and run an evil mafia the next, you're my kind of person
It's to a point where i'm ok with rping with people that dont speak english all too well as long as they can do anything

Chemistry. It's what you get when your partner can pick up on the hints and the little details you slip into your posts. Even better: When they build on those details, and add their own flavour into them. All without (explicitly) discussing them in OOC.

I think Risky said it best. Almost anything else can be discussed, changed, or improved over time.
So, in order of importance:
a) Chemistry: how well the writers riff off of one another and how well their styles harmonize.
b) Communication: Honesty and clarity to keep both parties happy and informed.
c) Patience: This one's a little harder to gauge and justify... Sometimes people just know when their RPing styles don't mesh or that an RPer/ RP is not what they're looking for. But it's great when a veteran RPer helps by showing the ropes or explaining something ooc or in an aside.

I think point one for me is multiple characters, and importantly character balance. Not tit for tat you play three I play three, but if someone has a character with an intense personality I'd expect someone to counter balance that. For example I have a pretty strong personality, high energy feeling type character and my partner players a very grounded, low energy character to counter balance her. I can not tell you how stressful it would be to write my character without other characters around her who balance out her emotional intensity.

Now I am not saying you should KNOW THIS instantly. But I like a partner who can, after a post or two, see where things are going an without being asked can throw in well balanced characters. Vice versa, I like to think I'm good at balance in the story.

But the big thing is mutiple characters. It's so huge and I don't just mean doubling up, but genuine here is a cast we've developed.

I guess second is someone who can read a scene and knows when to simply move on. This doesn't mean hard skips (but that happens) but like doesn't parrot information, knows where in my reply to start replying from, knows when and what to reply to in dialog. Basically a good sense of pace, balance and dialog and detail. Some people just focus on the wrong things, don't move scenes along, have a thing about repeating information previously covered by either myself or themselves in a different post, don't know when to let a scene go.

Shit I could bitch and bitch and bitch about overall post balance or lack there of I notice . . . and part of it is a lack of OOC communication (often times that is it) and people just meander through a scene nilly-willy with no real plan and you can feel it as things drag that shouldn't . . . or when you leave an opening for your partner and they JUST DON'T TAKE IT.

Fuck this is rambletastic, bitchy and moany as all shit I am sorry . . . and I don't even know if this last bit make sense to anyone but me.

Usually decent grammar. A typo or two is easy to let slip sometimes (as well as typing the wrong word if you're in a hurry) but if I end up having to scratch my head while reading a sentence and go "Perhaps they meant X instead?" is a real downer.

Also, the ability to be descriptive. And I'm not mentioning room decor (though nothing wrong with that). Usually I try to flesh out my characters. X happened and it's a tragedy. How does my character feel about it? What is their line of thinking? Not just "sat down and cried". "Y asked what they should do now. Z said he doesn't know." - this kind of interaction is just really bland. So the ability to be a bit more descriptive from a character's POV is really important.

i like partners who are descriptive and have good grammar. i don't mind if they misspell a word once in a blue moon or accidentally type a word twice, it happens, but i don't like anything more than that. also, partners who can write multiple paragraphs and give me a good insight as to what the scene looks and feels like are awesome! basically, anyone who doesn't one-line me is completely fine.

i also like partners who are understanding of how time/life/work gets in the way and have no problem waiting a bit. sometimes i'm super busy and can't respond for a while, or i'm plain uninspired and don't want to force myself to respond. it's also a plus when a partner doesn't force/pressure you to match length all of the time; some responses just end up being longer than others.

as for things i look for when i'm writing... i reread my responses 4-6 times to check for any grammatical errors firstly, and also to make sure that i'm giving my partner a decent enough response. i might see in my head that the room has red, glowing walls and six windows on the ceiling but if i don't write that, i have this image in my head that my partner doesn't, so i check to make sure that i'm giving my partner a decent enough description of the scene so we're on the same wavelength. i've learned that rereading my response over and over again really has made my replies a lot better, and i make sure to do so multiple times until i'm absolutely certain i've written something i can be proud of!

I really prefer to write with people who are chill but enthusiastic. They don't pester me about replying but also want to contribute to the plot so it's not one-sided.

I really am not the kind of person who needs updates about what's going on in my partner's life; I figure they will respond in their own time. I guess the cutoff point would be a month or two without replies? I don't normally do 1x1 and I'm used to waiting for responses in group RP's.

I really prefer to write with people who are chill but enthusiastic. They don't pester me about replying but also want to contribute to the plot so it's not one-sided.

I really am not the kind of person who needs updates about what's going on in my partner's life; I figure they will respond in their own time. I guess the cutoff point would be a month or two without replies? I don't normally do 1x1 and I'm used to waiting for responses in group RP's.

The exact opposite but that’s probably because I only do 1x1s and never got into groups.

I need to feel like my partner and I are communicating properly or else I lose interest fast. Plus my schedule is kinda constantly in flux so I might not know week to week when I can post.as 1x1s are rampant with ghosting I like to give my partners a heads up so they aren’t waiting for a reply that isn’t coming or they don’t think I ditched.

That said if I don’t hear from you for days I will probably just send a single update asking how your doing.

This is because I have had several partners in the past be hospitalized/get really sick/have major IRL things happen.

So if that’s the situation again I don’t want them to feel like they have to stress about a silly hobby too.

If they do respond than I will tell them it’s all good I can wait. If they don’t I figure they’re busy and move on.

So yeah communication is super key to me. If I don’t feel like I can talk to my partner easily than I won’t keep up the roleplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back