Other What do you look for in a role-play partner?

R0s3

I'm curious what people look for in a role-play partner. For me, it's accuracy.

Depends! If we are using fandom characters, accuracy is a big factor. But when using ocs, I favor more interesting situations than a consistent portrayal.

I think the biggest thing for me is literacy. I love my stories to be in-depth with character development, world-building, etc. I think of RP as collaborative novella/novel writing, thus I believe that it should present itself as such. Of course for that to happen it helps to have a partner who is willing to openly discuss any new ideas to bring to the table. With RP it tends to be more of a "build plot as you go" experience since you're never really entirely sure how your partner's characters are going to react until they actually do so.

In my case, I like when my partners are willing to discuss and plot together instead of just telling me "whatever you want", since it's for fun and both of us are working on it, so I definitely look for someone who has ideas that can make our story better.

I'm curious what people look for in a role-play partner. For me, it's accuracy.
I tend to look for people who know what they're talking about, have proper grammer, and who read what the other person writes so they aren't on completely different topics. (Believe me, it happens).

I look for someone who can write long and lengthy lines with good description. I RP whatever length I do but I like someone who can put in more effort than I since it makes it more fun for me. Immersion. I also look that they have some knowledge of how a character acts, their personality, details like that.

--->Respect my preferences regarding my style of roleplay and accomodate them (I am a heavy detail-oriented roleplayer, who likes anime faceclaims, complex character sheets and I roleplay in 1st person... all of these are turn-offs for plenty of people, so I need a partner who for some can accept and for other downright wants them as well)

--->Passionate about our RP

--->Friendly personality

--->Interested in roleplaying something I myself am interested in

--->Willing to plan

Passion

Some commitment to the RP, the desire to build the world and build the relationship between the characters, the feeling that this isn't just some chore to you and that you're here to have as much fun as I'm trying to have in this RP. Even if the RP comes out in the end as awfully written garbage when you read over it all as a story, if you had fun and I had fun, that's all that matters at the end of the day to me at least. All of the greatest RPs I've ever been in would be shitty-ass stories if you put it into a book.........and it was fantastic

In my case, I like when my partners are willing to discuss and plot together instead of just telling me "whatever you want", since it's for fun and both of us are working on it, so I definitely look for someone who has ideas that can make our story better.

^^^ THIS X1000. Also just someone who is friendly and open to talking. I like to chat with my partners.

Someone who's passion for role play, willing to put in effort, and can make and use characters as if they're more than two personality traits. I think the reason I haven't role played in so long is due to the amount of people I met who had the blandest characters ever and they pretty much wanted me to do the writing, world building, and make up conflicts myself as they simply react to it.

Someone who doesn't seem like they'll drop the RP at any second

Someone who seems excited about the RP

Someone who is flexible

Someone who is willing to take ideas

Last edited:
someone who will be thre to roleplay who is as invested in the storyline and charecters as I am. someone i can talk about the storyline with and that i can have a friendship with outside rp .

Oh man I've been roleplaying so long now, over 10 years, and never truly answered this question outright.

I guess the main thing besides literacy is just communication. I mean there are other important factors, but if you can communicate with me about world building, characters, scenes, ideas, that is what will keep a game going. That is what will make a story fun. Communication and honesty.

I like detail oriented people who enjoy the building of our world/game as much as the actual roleplay. People who can write longer posts most of the time- but quality over quantity. People who use real face claims and like detailed characters.

But for me it just comes down to communication. If you dont communicate with me I may as well be writing a book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back