Experiences What do you do during the wait?

Owl Knight

Don't let it ruffle your feathers, my liege.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
You know that feeling when you post a starting post for an RP you are extra excited about and then you have to just wait until someone else posts so you can move the story forward?

Sometimes I feel so buzzed on the creative energy of that first post I start posting way too much lore and world building stuff or I'm just constantly checking to see if my partner posted. What do you do when you are waiting for the next post in an exciting role play?

Go to work (lol)

In all seriousness I work Mon-Fri so usually my posts are on Saturday and Sunday. Typically I am busy catching up on stuff I got behind on during the week.

So I will read the latest chapters in the ongoing fanfic I’m reading. I will play some online browser games to unwind. I will usually watch the latest or next episodes in the shows I’m watching.

During the week I legit do go to work in between posting updates or OOC brainstorming. So it’s easy to stay busy. It’s kinda a bummer sometimes when it takes a few days for my partner to reply. But since I’m usually only really available before and after my work shift anyway it’s not as big a deal.

—//—

I don’t know what kind of free time you have but I find reading, catching up on TV, or podcasts to be a good way to keep busy.

Or if ya like video games or the like you can use that too.

One of the reasons why my preferred writing style has grown to be long posts with a relatively slow pacing is because I am the type who, in part due to my curiosity, easily finds many interests. Put another way, I always have a ton of stuff I can do. From anime and manga, to playing card games, organizing stuff, reading... Heck youtube alone has an endless stream of content. And of course there's my real life responsibilities.

So while I wait I'm almost certainly jumping on the next thing I want to do.... though to be fair, that's often the bed, because I just work better at night I often end up finishing posts at 3 AM...

I try to develop my character, or just more characters, through writing solo pieces or writing poetry in their perspective. Some of my best characters have been the product of a wayward poem or the stories I write while I’m waiting for replies.

Keeping busy helps, especially with task based games that help make the time between go faster. All else fails, just make a playlist or moodboard. More work towards a character you love can never hurt!

You know that feeling when you post a starting post for an RP you are extra excited about and then you have to just wait until someone else posts so you can move the story forward?

Sometimes I feel so buzzed on the creative energy of that first post I start posting way too much lore and world building stuff or I'm just constantly checking to see if my partner posted. What do you do when you are waiting for the next post in an exciting role play?
There's usually that initial kick of excitement for me as well. Depending on how heavy the scene affects me, I would sometimes find the inspiration to draw/sketch out the ongoing scene in the narrative when I have the time to spare. Other than that, it's usually work or studies that reels me back.

For me it really depends if I'm not working... If I'm working then, I will check on breaks, before or after work. If it's my day off. I will become honest to god, a bit stalky when it comes to replys. I'm usually fairly quick on it because I'm checking every.... 5~ minutes? Which is a bad habit, so I try to play a game or do something productive.

Tbh I can't really relate because I usually rp between doing other things so I just go back to doing them as I wait. But I definitely get the excitement! With my partners we usually have a posting schedule and more or less know when everyone will post. We also talk OOC a lot and it definitely helps to keep up the excitement and sometimes gives new ideas for the post in the making!

I work from home, so most of my online time is split between RPing and working on the business. I'll typically start my mornings getting caught up with posts and OOC messages, then switch back to work on the business whilst I wait for a reply, then once a reply comes in, I switch back to RPing and so on. I try to have a couple of RPs on the go at the same time, with mixes of partners that post at different frequencies. Sometimes I can get into a routine where I'm switching back and forth between RPs and don't really have to deal with the wait for too long - by the time I've replied to one RP, the other is ready for me to post in.

There've been times when this isn't the case - the wait is quite bearable for me when I have a lot of work to do, but if my day is pretty quiet the wait can feel very long! I try to read, get caught up on other hobbies, phone family etc etc.

I tend to work on ideas possible scenes which may appear in that RP down the line! I mean, there's a chance that stuff won't even happen, but exploring possibilities when the itch is there can be rewarding in itself as a character exercise...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back