Anime & Manga What Do You Desire In An Anime?

BeastofLores

Knower of Worlds
As the title suggests, this thread is about what you want to see in an anime, be however little a detail it may be. This can be from anything to a specific harem format to an intricate weapon.

For instance, my desire in anime, if it were Mecha, would be to have standard Medieval equipment without any of that stereotypical excess. Just a large exoskeleton/power suit of unadulterated Dark Age plating with sensible construction that invokes the image of a fantastic mechanical knight, coupled with a sword and shield to boot. No jetpacks, no fancy obliteration shoulder cannons of doom. Just the art of the blade and shield with perhaps some magical/science casting on the side. As this hulk of sheer awesomeness lumbered into a field, you could hear the thrums and clangs of its construction interacting with itself. And as it would face its foe, every strike carried with it weight, the movements slow to accelerate yet crashing with the force of titan. That, my friends, incites vigor for me.

The anime known as Knight's and Magic almost achieved this for me, but ultimately dulled into stereotypical drivel for me. My favorite mecha design from that show was the Earlecumber.

So, what is your ultimate desire to see in an anime? Has there been one that achieved this desire?

I like it when the MC introduces some form of new technology to a fantasy world such as GATE or In another world with my smartphone

2Bornot2B 2Bornot2B That's always interesting to see, yeah. I quite liked GATE for how they dealt with clashes of medieval and modern eras. Didn't like how one spoiled brat thought he was able to stand against the latter by the end. But, I suppose the story needs a conflict to thrive.

In Another World With My Smartphone could have been better in my personal opinion.

I always want to see a good plot. I'll read an anime's description and watch it based on the plot alone. If an anime doesn't actually deliver on this plot, however (Dragonar Academy, Absolute Duo, Diabolik Lovers oh god), then I get incredibly upset.

I think that's why I've started rating anime on MAL more harshly lately.... >.>

I like intense things. Between good plot and characterization, I like things to draw me in, chew me up, then spit me out in a confused ball of emotions when I'm done with it.

I want my attention to be snatcht. I need realistic representation for LGBT people and poc, i need ridiculous humor and if the animation isnt great i wont even consider it.

just a good plot and characterisation. i don't like overly romantic plots or characters that play the 'damsel in distress'. The animation is also a really big thing for me!

All the important stuff has been said but i’ll weigh in anyways on something important to me: reverse harem animes. We need better reverse harem animes. I need a strong female lead who knows what she wants and isnt going to just let some man tell her what to do and actually picks a boy at the end

I guess a good example would be Cardia from Code Realize: Rebirth. She was an interesting character with both good and bad qualities, it was made clean which boy she liked early on and at the end of the series they got hitched

Apart from it having a decent plot and all that jazz, I like unconventional and even a little weird anime. Varies from character design to the general (art) style of the show.
To stay with your mecha example, I watched the hell out of Gatchaman Crowds f.e. mainly because I love the main character so much for her weirdness.
Kyousou Giga and Mawaru Penguindrum had really dope styles since they played around so much with metaphors and didn't really care about whether or not a broad audience would get them. Kill la Kill and Flip Flappers were awesome since they were just so energetic and engaging. Seems like I like being confused, lol.
I watched my fair share of anime and liked a lot "classic" ones too, but I guess I just like this type of show most because it's refreshing.

In what I think is a good anime is at least a few fleshed out characters and an interesting somewhat unique story. Anime tropes rub me the wrong way a lot of times because most of them don't try to incorporate anything really new. I like good animation quality, though it's not a necessity. The main character I believe shouldn't always be the main focus, fleshed out background characters make for a great and compelling story as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back