• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy What Came Through the Rift Reboot

Mykinkaiser

Literally the worst

"March 15th, 2017, the day the Rift opened and everything changed.

It had seemed like a normal day at first, but then the sky split with a horrible, gut-wrenching shattering sound. Then came the tremors, like the Earth itself was crying out at what was happening to it. Buildings began to topple and people screamed, it seemed like it would never end, and then it did. It all ended as if it had never happened, as if it was all a dream and the world was right. But it wasn't. They were here now. People and creatures that shouldn't exist but did. If there was any consolation it was that they seemed just as shocked and confused as we were.

In the following days we realized that we couldn't leave, not with the fog surrounding the city. Some tried anyways but they always ended up coming back, swearing that they'd never turned around. Eventually we stopped trying. That's when the real fear set in and the protests and riots began in earnest. There were those who blamed the people who had come through, some who feared the newcomers and what they could do, others who wanted to go home, and still others who didn't know what to think and simply lashed out in their panic.

Eventually, people began to realize that we were all in this together, like it or not, and we began to learn about each other. It was a long process putting aside the fear but we did it, or at least most of us did. In return we learned from each other. They taught us magic, a power we'd only ever seen in fiction and our imaginations. We taught them about the strange world they now found themselves in. Though this, we began to learn how to live together and we began to rebuild.

It's been 25 years since the Rift opened and everything changed. It's been rough, and we haven't figured everything out yet, but we've come a long ways and I think we'll go further yet."

INFORMATION
GM - Mykinkaiser Mykinkaiser
Co-GM - ReverseTex ReverseTex

MAIN RP | LORE | OOC | CHARACTERS
This is a reboot of an RP I ran a while back, and I mainly wanted to put this out there in order to see if people were interested it again. Also, I wanted to ask people if they wanted a more open-ended rp or a more linear plot-driven experience. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions or make any suggestions you feel are relevant.

What Came Through the Rift is set in the city of Edgewater, situated on the banks of Lake Felburn and the Dunmark River in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. 25 years ago a Rift opened over the city, shrouding it in a fog that made it impossible to leave and connecting the city to another world. Through this rift came people of many races, forcibly plucked from the world they knew, and magic. Since then, the original residents and the newcomers have had to learn to coexist, a struggle that is yet ongoing, while being almost entirely cut off from the outside world.

Some things of note:

• While there will be established lore for you to use, please don't hesitate to come up with suggestions for new things, whatever they may be. I want you as players to be able to build off the foundation that I've established, so if you have new races, factions, locations, or anything else don't hesitate to let me know, either via DM or in the general OOC.

• Magic, while prominent within the RP, is not all-powerful. It's simply a tool for characters to use to achieve their goals. Furthermore, I've left it intentionally fairly open-ended so that you have freedom to make it your own. However, I do ask that you be reasonable, and keep in mind your character's abilities.

Last edited:
Do all merfolk really have to be the way they are described in the lore? Can’t there be regular mermaids?

Do all merfolk really have to be the way they are described in the lore? Can’t there be regular mermaids?

The merfolk (and the Catfolk, Rabbitfolk, Bearfolk, Kitsune, Lamia, and Arachnae) were created in the other world during a period of intense world-altering war between the gods. They were created by combining humans with animals via magic in a bid to create stronger soldiers so that humans could survive. That's the reason there aren't regular mermaids.

That being said, depending on your idea I'm happy to be flexible, it just needs to fit that sort of origin is all.

Really interested in this, the lore is very in-depth and well-written! I think I'll definitely throw in a few characters for this.

The merfolk (and the Catfolk, Rabbitfolk, Bearfolk, Kitsune, Lamia, and Arachnae) were created in the other world during a period of intense world-altering war between the gods. They were created by combining humans with animals via magic in a bid to create stronger soldiers so that humans could survive. That's the reason there aren't regular mermaids.

That being said, depending on your idea I'm happy to be flexible, it just needs to fit that sort of origin is all.
Well regular mermaids are half animal cause thier half fish. so can I just make a regular mermaid?

Well regular mermaids are half animal cause thier half fish. so can I just make a regular mermaid?
It really depends on the type of fish. For example, a goldfish mermaid (I'm just picking a random fish) would not exist because it wouldn't have high enough combat potential to have been created.

interesting, would you be adverse to possible a alchemist dragon? or a sort of sentient suit of armor in a sense, and if neither of those work prehaps a incubus?

Last edited:
interesting, would you be adverse to possible a alchemist dragon? or a sort of sentient suit of armor in a sense, and if neither of those work prehaps a incubus?
The dragon would be hard to spin, but the other two would be easy. There's a race called Arcane Dolls that are essentially sentient armor, and an incubus would just be a male succubus which are also a thing.

I love this concept, and have been hoping for a reboot. I want in!

The RP has officially started at this point but feel free to make a character and join in at any time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back