TV & Film What British shows should be remade in America?

Dizzycord

❛ Ain't nobody bringing us... ❜
BONUS QUESTION: Who would be a good cast?

Me and my grandpa were discussing the American pilot for 'The IT Crowd', and I came up with a fancast for it. That brought up a good question: what's a good British show to bring to America and who would be a good cast?

My IT Crowd Fancast -
Joe Machi as Moss
Bill Hader
as Roy
Kaley Cuoco
as Jen

I'll add your suggestions on the list! (That's if I get any, haha.)

Kaley would be a good choice for Jen. She's got that look or that face whenever Jen sees something wrong or trying to make sense of it all. Hader could be good but he'll probably try to over do it. If anything he should be Mr. Renholm the former boss since he was more charismatic.

If you had to twist my arm on it . . .

Doctor Who: I think an American version of the Doctor would be kind of cool. The TARDIS could be a phone booth or an old car (but still have the spacious interior). Torchwood could have a more Men in Black/G-Man vibe to them. Maybe leave the Doctor’s origins even more vague or even imply he’s supernatural rather than an alien (or not “just” an alien.) Maybe even change his title to “the Ranger,” or something.

Maybe instead of regenerating after an actor’s run, we regularly see the Doctor/Ranger with a different face for every planet and time period he goes to and each one reflects a different archetype of hero; noir detective, lawman cowboy, pulp scientist, Rocky styled scrapper, Shaft styled cool cat, senatorial statesman, Sacajawea trailblazer, John Carter crusader, etc.

Since the source show (and Star Trek) already took the explicitly political enemies like the Nazi Daleks and Communist Cyber-Men, maybe the Ranger instead fights parodies of things like the Terminator, the Matrix, or Lovecraftian Horrors.

If it seems like it’s barely Doctor Who by that point it’s because we already have our version of the Doctor, he’s called Superman.

For something a little closer to the source material and a little more do-able . . .

Father Brown: No joke, I’d kill for “if Father Brown was American.” There’s plenty of Sherlock Holmes in America, not as much Father Brown. One thing you could do to spice things up is that the show keeps Father in a small town and local parish, in the books he travels around. Have this version of Father Brown travel to different parishes across the country and solve mysteries unique to that state/region’s culture. A body found in an old Pittsburgh mine, a murder committed with a golden railroad spike in Utah, a kidnapping during Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

Last edited:
None. Just watch the real show. This is such a huge problem in the world and the industry. I am so sick and tired of hearing my friends say stupid shit like, "I tried to get into Dark on Netflix, but I hate that it's Swedish."

No. Just shut the fuck up. Your opinion on this subject is voided by your ignorance, lol. The show is German, and why does it matter? Why do you need it to be American? Why can't you just watch the show and look passed cultural barriers?

If you like British show, watch it.

Doctor Who: I think an American version of the Doctor would be kind of cool.

This will never happen, because it would be so pointless and shallow. I can't even begin to imagine how the studios would translate this for an American audience. The TARDIS would be a fucking SS Camero, and The Doctor would be a stubble-chinned badass who carries a Sonic Switchblade.

None. Just watch the real show. This is such a huge problem in the world and the industry. I am so sick and tired of hearing my friends say stupid shit like, "I tried to get into Dark on Netflix, but I hate that it's Swedish."

No. Just shut the fuck up. Your opinion on this subject is voided by your ignorance, lol. The show is German, and why does it matter? Why do you need it to be American? Why can't you just watch the show and look passed cultural barriers?

You do have a point, lol. Yeah, British shows and other shows from different areas can be watched on their own and be enjoyed: see 'Black Mirror' and, as the show I said before, 'The IT Crowd'. Seriously, if you watch the pilot of the American version of that show, you will cry. It's sad. Don't. For your sanity, fucking don't.

And when people say stupid shit about the language, there's one thing you can say: "Look at the translations, you fucking walnut."

Dark is dubbed in English, they just can't handle the fact that it's not made in America, with big brand American actors.

This will never happen, because it would be so pointless and shallow. I can't even begin to imagine how the studios would translate this for an American audience. The TARDIS would be a fucking SS Camero, and The Doctor would be a stubble-chinned badass who carries a Sonic Switchblade.

Dude. You can take it down a couple notches. I already agree it’s pretty pointless to translate the show and that people should just watch something if it’s good. I was only trying to add to the discussion with suggestions I would make if I was asked to, hence why I prefaced my post with “if you had to twist my arm on it.”

And I thought my suggestions at the very least weren’t shallow or I put some cursory thought into them beyond “make the Doctor into a Fast and Furious character.”

And I thought my suggestions at the very least weren’t shallow or I put some cursory thought into them beyond “make the Doctor into a Fast and Furious character.”

I didn't say your suggestions were shallow. Perhaps you most definitely misunderstood. And it's not about your cursory thought or mine, it's what the studio would do. Doctor Who will never be made in any other country in our life times. Community did an episode making fun of the idea it's so ludicrous in nature.

I'm sorry you've been put off by my reply, perhaps it's your guard that needs to "come down a few notches." Perhaps general discussion threads aren't for you, if you find differing opinions so offensive and shocking.

I didn't say your suggestions were shallow. Perhaps you most definitely misunderstood. And it's not about your cursory thought or mine, it's what the studio would do. Doctor Who will never be made in any other country in our life times. Community did an episode making fun of the idea it's so ludicrous in nature.

I'm sorry you've been put off by my reply, perhaps it's your guard that needs to "come down a few notches." Perhaps general discussion threads aren't for you, if you find differing opinions so offensive and shocking.

I’m still of the mind that the discussion is coming across as hostile when I never intended such. Especially with the passive aggressiveness of the above. I like to talk about differing opinions. Like everything though, there’s a wrong way and a right way.

I’m still of the mind that the discussion is coming across as hostile when I never intended such. Especially with the passive aggressiveness of the above. I like to talk about differing opinions. Like everything though, there’s a wrong way and a right way.

When you gaslight someone for sharing an opinion in an open forum discussion, you can often expect a less than cordial response.

It's clear that a bit of cussing amidst my disagreeing with you has triggered you and made you feel attacked. I do apologize for that, sincerely. I tend to cuss quite a bit, particularly when it comes to things I'm passionate about. I don't expect most people to understand east coast Canadian culture, so I usually try to keep a tight lid on it.

I'm a film buff and a bit of a Whovian. If they ever allowed The Doctor to be whored out to an American demographic, part of me would die.

Obviously I don't truly beleive he would drive around in a Camero with a switchblade, that was my attempt at light humor, before you reacted the way you did. Who simply does not directly translate, despite having many American fans. It might surprise you to find that the typical American viewer isn't a Whovian. It's a different type of story telling than they are used to. The Doctor never fights his enemies or problems, never raising arms of any kind to solve problems, despite the often violent, militant nature of his foes. He also switches companions routinely, 90% of which were female. He never engages in intimate relations with any of his companions. None of this translates to prime time US success. Americans want the girl to hook up with the hansom lead male. It would drive them absolutely crazy to see a companion just drop off after two seasons of "pointless" sexual/romantic tension.

It's clear that a bit of cussing amidst my disagreeing with you has triggered you and made you feel attacked. I do apologize for that, sincerely.

I have no triggers in the actual psychological sense. You are correct in that I saw your words as hostile intent rather than just an affectation. Apology accepted and I apologize in turn for not understanding.

I'm a film buff and a bit of a Whovian. If they ever allowed The Doctor to be whored out to an American demographic, part of me would die.

Likewise I wouldn’t want it to, as an American, film buff, and Whovian.

Obviously I don't truly beleive he would drive around in a Camero with a switchblade, that was my attempt at light humor, before you reacted the way you did.

Hey, I thought that was funny.

It might surprise you to find that the typical American viewer isn't a Whovian.

No it does not. For the same reason most people who watch the MCU movies aren’t comic fans like I am. Which, yes, does frustrate me from time to time.

None of this translates to prime time US success. Americans want the girl to hook up with the hansom lead male. It would drive them absolutely crazy to see a companion just drop off after two seasons of "pointless" sexual/romantic tension.

I think that’s less the viewers than the producers thinking people won’t follow an asexual, science hero.

At the same time, I agree, making an American Doctor Who would be either pointless since you wouldn’t have to change much so why not just watch the original? Or you’d have to change so much you’re not really watching Doctor Who.

As a Brit, none of them, please. Just enjoy our shows as we enjoy yours. Imagine if they made British versions of all the US shows we watch... how would we learn about American culture?! Now it's your turn to be confused, lol.

Having said that Kaley Cuoco would totally make a good Jen. XD

Personally, I would never want any British shows to be remade in America, especially Doctor Who because I am a major Whovian. Shows and movies from other countries have a very specific charm to them, especially because I've lived in America all my life and never had the chance to travel anywhere actually exciting. They give me a chance to see into other cultures and their ideas of entertainment

Remakes always fail to capture the magic of the original. Plus, Brittish humour isn't for the sensitive US viewers. Especially older shows such as Blackadder, Allo Allo, Father Ted, Faulty Towers and so forth.

None. As one of the 'sensitive US viewers' I actually prefer the originals. That's what makes those shows so great so why mess it up just to add an American cast and butcher the original?

Father Brown: No joke, I’d kill for “if Father Brown was American.” There’s plenty of Sherlock Holmes in America, not as much Father Brown. One thing you could do to spice things up is that the show keeps Father in a small town and local parish, in the books he travels around. Have this version of Father Brown travel to different parishes across the country and solve mysteries unique to that state/region’s culture. A body found in an old Pittsburgh mine, a murder committed with a golden railroad spike in Utah, a kidnapping during Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

i would absolutely LOVE it if Father Brown was made American. As for someone who can play Father Brown, it'd be kinda cool if Tom Hanks or Russell Crowe played him. I'm not good at thinking of actors but i think they'd be a decent choice.

i would absolutely LOVE it if Father Brown was made American. As for someone who can play Father Brown, it'd be kinda cool if Tom Hanks or Russell Crowe played him. I'm not good at thinking of actors but i think they'd be a decent choice.

I can’t imagine he’d go for tv but yeah, Tom Hanks would be a great Father Brown. It’d be like a better version of those Dan Brown adaptation movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back