Literature What are you reading at the moment?

I just got done reading Jade War after months of procrastination (500 read combined with very low attention span does not agree with me 😅 ), and I'm getting ready to read a new story called Thirteen Witches: The Memory Thief, which I'm hoping is a significantly lighter read. It's about, in simple terms, a child going after a witch because she suspects that they took her mom's memories.

Red Rising is great. I need to reread it though.
Is that the one about the Mars colony? I started reading it years ago but for reasons unknown now I never did finish.

I wasn't getting notifications at all for this in the past while! I've recently gotten a book by Caoimhín De Barra, who talks about the current state of Irish in Ireland, the key points in the debate about whether it shpuld continue receiving funding or not and whether or not it can be revived as as the first language of Ireland.

I'm very much looking forward to reading it. :closed eyes open smile:

One of my favorite books I read this past month was Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, a book that follows a Korean family that moves to Japan during the colonial era, beginning in early 1900s and spanning the next three generations to the 1980s. The book is historical fiction, but it provides a lot of insight into Korean people's history with Japan's, and deals with themes like identity, love, and family. Min Jin Lee is a Korean woman who spent seven years living in Japan, so there's an air of authenticity to this book. If you like historical fiction and long family dramas/soap operas, this book won't disappoint you.

Also, I did start Red Rising the other day and hmmmm, I'm not sure if this one is my cup of tea. This is a sci fi book that reads like a high fantasy, which paints a pretty world, though I don't really find the MC to be that interesting. I'm going to give it a chance to prove itself until the end of book 1 though.

the silk roads [peter frankopan]
----explores influence of the middle east and asia in history, shifting the focus from the west

three years [anton chekhov]

----very chekhov so far, delicious but a little difficult to digest.

I might have to take a lool at that Silk Road book, thanks for bringing it to my attention Elixir and I hope you're having a good time reading it! :closed eyes open smile:

I might have to take a lool at that Silk Road book, thanks for bringing it to my attention Elixir and I hope you're having a good time reading it! :closed eyes open smile:
it's quite thick but a close friend said it's her favourite of all time. extremely informative so far. did you know statues of buddha were only put up after a few too many statues of apollo were put up in india? there was a need to bring attention to buddhism in the same way because of how fierce the competition was getting. [don't quote me on any of that]

It wouldn't surprise me, with the proximity of the Seleukid Empire so close, as well as the Greek-Indo Kingdkm not too far away either! Though I could be completely wrong in that too. 😅

Is that the one about the Mars colony? I started reading it years ago but for reasons unknown now I never did finish.
(sorry for the late reply, idk why I don't get discord or email notifs on thread replies lol) But yes, it is. I liked the trilogy but I kinda stopped on the extra book outside the trilogy, when the characters were significantly aged up. Don't remember why

The Soulbound series by Hailey Turner. I'm on book 2 right now, All Souls Near and Neigh, but you should definitely pick it up if gay/urban fantasy/who-done-its are your thing. Very good stuff!

After a detour through the novelization of the original King Kong, I've resumed reading Dracula. The last new book I read was the Autobiography of Kathryn Janeway which is the latest in the Star Trek Autobiography series. It was enjoyable, but I wish it had been as long as the other two.

After watching The Mortal Engines movie, I was curious about the book so I got it along with the prequel of sorts. By Philip Reeve, of course. I’m also reading the manga, To Your Eternity. I want to read all the ones available before the rest of the anime comes out.

I heard the anime is meant to be very good! I believe Mother's Basement did a video on it as well, so heading there after you've finished reading and watching the anime to see his thought might be a good idea. :closed eyes open smile:

I heard the anime is meant to be very good! I believe Mother's Basement did a video on it as well, so heading there after you've finished reading and watching the anime to see his thought might be a good idea. :closed eyes open smile:
It is. I watched the first couple of episodes by chance before I got into the manga. Thanks for the info. I’ll make sure to drop by there after I’ve finished both.

Keeper of The Lost Cities! God, I hate the hangcliffers since there's a new book every year, I literally have to wait a year every time I read the newest book in the series, and the entire time is spent thinking about how much the cliffhanger is killing me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back