Opinion What are your thoughts on having babies?

1. At what age would you like to have children?
We are planning to try for pregnancy next year, so I’ll be 27 or 28 years old.

2. How many kids would you like to have?
Two, ideally. “Only child” I think would be lonely. I have siblings and I love them. My sisters are my best friends.

3. How are you planning to care for your children?
I will stay at home. I feel weird hiring someone else to raise my kids, y’know?

4. What age group are you in? 22 and younger | 23 -33 | 34 and over
23-33

5. Do the people in your life seem invested in you having children?
Yes!! My older sister and I want to have them at the same time. My grandmother is very excited for it and so is my mom. Before I got married, my little sister asked me when we were going to get married so she could have nieces and nephews. Haha.

1. What is your main reason for not wishing children?
  • When I was younger, I always thought that I wanted kids. I've broken up with guys because I wanted kids and they didn't. It really wasn't until recently that I realized... I don't. The main reason? I'm bipolar. The meds I'm on I can't take while I'm pregnant, because they pose a potential risk to the unborn child. But the thing is, I need those meds to function normally. Without them, and with the presence of pregnancy hormones and all that (even after having the baby, the fluctuation of those hormones) I'm terrified that I'd hurt my child. I can't stand the thought of it. So no babes for me. I have a niece that I've been around since she was an infant; she's enough.

2. Is your reasoning likely to change? If so why?

• Not in the slightest. I use birth control regularly.

3. What age group are you in? 22 and younger | 23 -33 | 34 and over

• I'm currently 27.

4. *Added* Do the people in your life seem invested in you having children?

• My mom has told me I'm too selfish to have kids. I think they're pretty okay with my decision.

A. I grew up around 8 other siblings 4 of which were younger than me (I'm the middle kid) both my parents worked and so did my 4 older siblings. Which meant as soon as I was home from school mom either was about to leave for work or had already left (she works part time) and I was in charge of my siblings. Not only was I in charge of them but I also had to clean pretty much the whole house and do everybody's laundry, not to mention cook dinner.
It was irritating, my mom used to joke and say "I need you to be mom #2 while I'm gone." Before leaving. By the time she got back I usually still wasn't done cleaning till about 10pm and 11pm was bed time for me... I still had about 6-8 hours worth of home work still which I'd stay up till 4am doing and I had to catch the bus at 6. So I only got 2 hours of sleep every night for most of my high school life. And I wasn't allowed to complain. So yeah I don't like kids. I've had my share of them. And that life experience has made me grow to HATE them no matter how cute and adorable some of them may be.

B. I'm a trans man, having kids would fuck up my gender dysphoria. Men don't give birth to kids. There for I wish for my uterus to be removed. I would honestly rather kill myself than have a kid.

C: Children are annoying snot monsters. They cry, they poop, they scream, they nag, they haven't any common sense or decency yet, they're unintelligent, etc. If you place a child in my arms or have me child sit I can do so for about 48 hours before I start freaking out and start trying to hand you your disgusting gremlin back.

I might adopt a kid later in life. But thats probably it. And one from a 3rd world country that's about 8 i guess. Yeah 8 years old, they're usually toilet trained by that age and not quite past the cute age. And at that age they're usually intelligent enough so you can have conversations.
So... Maybe but not from my uterus.

3. What age group are you in? 22 and younger | 23 -33 | 34 and over?

18 years of age exactly.

Even though Unfortunately my parents having disowned me at age 16 cause they're Christian, I still talk to my mom. And she is dead set on having grandkids. I don't know what it is or why my mom likes kids. But she definitely has pressured me to get a boyfriend, get married, ane have kids before. That was irritating as fuck. I've gotten into full blown arguments with the woman. As much as I love my mom for still being there for me, I find her love of kids disgusting. Not to mention her want to see me, her son, a man, have kids. Its going to weird her out more than she thinks. Because she tries to tell her self I'm her "little girl" still... She refuses to see that I'm litterally on hormones. I have facial hair, a deep voice, I look, sound, and act like a man. My only hope in potentially getting pregnant is that she'll finally see that it isn't right and I'm not supposed to be pregnant and she'll let me abort the kid before I kill myself.

I am not really looking into being a mother. It is a hard job that absolutely terrifies me. I will be responsible for raising a human being and for taking care of them and I can hardly take care of myself so I know I shouldn't try with a child.

No, I don't think so. I don't think I am fit to be a mother so I don't think I will ever try to force myself to be one.

I am currently 18, so 22 and younger.

My mom does not want me to have children actually, haha.

I so, so want to have children. I'm already the mom friend (and simultaneously the awkward awkward dad friend) of my group. I've got cringy jokes nailed - I just need the kid part.

1. At what age would you like to have children? I would really love to have children in my late twenties to mid thirties. I definitely wanna have a secure home, finance, and everything to properly care for a child before I start producing babies. But I'm really excited! I can't wait until I'm married and with kids. And even though the idea of birth is terrifying, it's also something I want to experience.

2. How many kids would you like to have? Either two or four is ideal. I want my kiddos to have a sibling each, haha. I know my siblings and I were always feeling left out because there were three of us. Ideally two, though. I really want twins.

3. How are you planning to care for your children? (stay at home, daycare, help from relatives) I'm thinking either stay-at-home (potentially with a work at home job)? or daycare. I don't trust my family with kids.

4. What age group are you in? 22 and younger | 23 -33 | 34 and over? 22 and younger! I'm eighteen. :-)

5. *Added* Do the people in your life seem invested in you having children? My parents haven't mentioned it much, but that's probably because I'm still young. They would have a heart attack if I announced I was pregnant now. My grandma really seems interested in having great-grandbabies though, haha.

Probably between the age of 25-40, but it mostly depends on my financial status and whether or not I'm in a good relationship with my significant other.

I grew up in a large family (I have 5 siblings) so I want to have around 4.

3. How are you planning to care for your children? (stay at home, daycare, help from relatives)
I'd like to raise them solely with the help of my significant other with a little bit of insight from my parents (with an exception to my first kid. A lot of that is going to be me calling my mom). I'll probably raise them sort of how I was raised; home school them during their younger years (I don't like the idea of daycares, honestly) and then enroll them in school probably around middle school years, maybe a bit before. Also, 100% getting my kids vaccinated, I don't deal with that risky non-vaccine shit.

Right now, I'm in the age group of 22 and younger, I'm not comfortable putting out my real age.

5. *Added* Do the people in your life seem invested in you having children?
Obviously, my parents want grandchildren, but my mother's advice was to enjoy life before even considering settling down. So, yes they do want grandkids, but they aren't wanting me to have them immediately after I get married. Obviously I want kids, but I'm more concerned about actually getting into a relationship. My parents were very strict so I've never actually been in a relationship before.

Last edited:
Personally I'd love to take a crack at this as someone who already has kids.
I love being a mom its the hardest most amazing thing I've ever done in my life. For all of you that want to have kids and who have a plan, try to hold right to that plan. Have a good partner and good history and stable relationship before you venture into kid land, kids can rock the foundation of your relationship (but can't ultimately strengthen you), love them crazy hard, and always ALWAYS be showing them their value.
Also, to all the people not wishing to have children, I 100% respect your decision. That is not everyones avenue. My daughter personally has 0 desire in being a mom (as she has informed me many times) while my son can't get enough of little babies. So to each their own

Well, I would have liked to have been about 23-25. I was actually 19 when I had my first (and engaged) and 22 with my second (filing for divorce). Life is a curveball. If I have another id like to be not much older than 30.

I have a boy and a girl. So if I don't have more its okay. But also I love kids so if I ever remarry I would like another.

3. How are you planning to care for your children?
With my first I stayed home for the first year and then I went to work at the same preschool/daycare she went to. I didn't have the luxury with my second as I was doing it as a single mom so, I did 10wks maternity leave, and then back to working at the daycare where they let me take a break every 2hours to nurse my baby.

4. What age group are you in?
Currently, I'm 25.

They very much were when I was growing up. Not that there was a ton of pressure but I think if I had made the choice to not have kids it would have been a huge shock and not have sat great.

I'm just not interested in doing so. I've never been called to motherhood. Even as a child I hated playing games where I had to parent others(so naturally I didn't like baby dolls either).
It's extremely unlikely. If I ever developed an interest in having children even then I would skip the sexual intercourse part and just adopt or something.
I am turning 28 this month. I have never been in a relationship nor have I had sex, if that matters. It is all willingly too.
My mother seems disappointed that I'm never giving her grandchildren, but that's about it. I think the bigger shock to her would be the fact I'm a Christian and am seriously considering the prospect of becoming a nun.

This mostly follows my reply in the thread about Asexuality.

I'm realistic, mostly. I'm an asexual, aromantic woman who's never been in a romantic relationship and struggles to connect with people. This doesn't mean I don't feel empathy (on the contrary I think I feel too much sometimes). So, imagining myself with a partner and conceiving/adopting a kid is so out there I don't even.

Let us imagine the highly unlikey scenario of me getting kocked up does happen. I have a thyroid condition (and my whole nervous system) majorly plotting against me. The chance of a miscarriage I fear would be great.

Let us ponder adoption... Aside from how long the whole legal system takes, on my side of the family there is no stability to raise a child. I would have to rely on my would-be partner's family or be a stay at home mom. That doesn't seem pheasible or desirable to me. (I'm not even pondering adoption as a single parent here. That is definitely not happening).

Editted to add: And don't let me get started on the whole pregnancy process. The thought of having a being growing inside me terrifies me. I'd feel that the wrong move would caus everything to go wrong. And childbirth? None of the gruesome stories I've heard about it makes me wish to go through it. I value my privacy so the whole thought of going through that to land on a hospital to have a small group of strangers looking at my privates and touching me...yeah, no.

TL ; DR - I don't plan on having kids for a bunch of personal + logical reasons. Plus, I never really feel connected to kids, I am not used to interacting with kids and I have next to zero patience when I see kids throwing tantrums. Plus, whatever little sleep I can get at night is mostly sacred. I am just not cut out for it.

(Apparently some people talk about motherhood almost as if there's a switch you press and you magically want kids overnight. Yes, I am aware of the biological clock or whatever you call it. I hope mine never gets fixed).

If I ever find the ideal partner it might. Buuut still very vague. See my general feelings about kids above + lack of romantic partners so far.

I'm 31.

Seeing as I fit in the asexual/aromantic/questioning label and never had a relationship, my closest relatives (that would be my dad and sister) I gather are still mostly concerned about me getting a partner first. My dad has mentioned once or twice how my sister (who is older than me) and me don't seem interested in having kids but he hasn't pushed the issue. To my aunts of course it's something that will naturally happen but they belong to an older generation, where the norm would be get married and have kids as early as possible.

Last edited:
I do not feel inspired to have my own biological kid. I also do not feel the need to have a romantic partner and/or get married. Both of those things won't make me any happier or more fulfilled than I am right now. In addition to reasons for me not wanting biological children, I do not. ever.. want to go through the birthing process. While I don't envision myself raising children at all, this doesn't mean I won't be open to adoption, on the off-chance that I would want to provide a child with a loving home.

No. I think my reasoning is fairly flexible as is. Biological children are a no. Adopted children are a maybe-someday-if-I-feel-like-it ... But-only-if-the-child-is-potty-trained-and-old-enough-to-say-that-he/she-truly-loves-me-and-wants-to-be-with-me-forever-and-acknowledges-me-as-their-savior... XD

3. What age group are you in?
23 -33

4. Do the people in your life seem invested in you having children?

Everyone around me seems to have pretty traditional/old-fashioned views. They expect me to "grow out" of this phase, that one day I'll wake up with the magic instinct to want to get married, have kids, and settle down like everyone else. *shrugs* My motto is: When it comes, it comes.

Currently trying! I'm 27, and my husband and I have been trying for just over a year

As many as my cyst filled ovaries will let me D: But I'm convinced that we're going to have a boy by the end of this year. My husband's brothers each have two kids each and they're both girls. My sister has a girl and another on the way. She thinks the one in the utero is a boy, but I have a feeling it's a girl.

3. How are you planning to care for your children? (stay at home, daycare, help from relatives)
I'm an Early Childhood Teacher in a daycare setting. As the breadwinner of the family, the husband will be doing maternity leave instead of me. After three months, baby will be joining my centre in the Nursery room four days a week.

22-33

Heck yeah - as a cancer survivor and recently diagnosed with cysts on my ovaries (so potential PCOS and Endometriosis), AND working in child care, people are always asking when I plan on having children. When I tell them we're trying and about our struggles, people become very invested in the journey we're going through.

I've had a kid, and am probably going to stop at the one.

I had him at 28. I didn't plan for one, didn't want one at first, but it's become quite the blessing - and journey of learning for me. Definitely has given me a greater appreciation for parenthood and humility.

One is enough. From a financial/freedom standpoint

I raised him on my own, quit my lucrative job to do that. At first it sucked, needing to be dependent on the husband for cash, and being wholly responsible for the raising of the kid, but I've grown accustomed to it.

Highlighted it in bold

Yeah, because of being a mom, I've ended up hanging out with other families/moms, and we can just go on and on about kid stuff. But I like hanging out with other people as well, talking about kids can get boring after a while.

1. I don't want to HAVE a child. Legit I don't want to be pregnant the thought squicks me out and makes me uncomfortable. Additionally affordability I simply can not justify another human being in my life when I can barely afford to keep myself a float some months.

2. No it will never change. I've said this since my early twenties and it is a hard stance I have. I like my dogs thanks that is enough. I may budge if I get married and my wife and I make enough money to raise a kid and SHE wants one THAT BADLY. Then sure, because I mean I would make a kickass mom . . . but alone I prefer my dog and no kids if I had my way.

3. I'm 30+ so getting close to that "still got time but NOT MUCH" - iliza Shlesinger, time of my life! >D

4. My mother banked on me having children, despite YEARS of telling her I don't want children, I will not be having children, I never want to be pregnant. Every SINGLE person told me "you don't know what you're talking about, just wait for the right man to come along, you're young you'll change your mind." So yeah people were mentally and emotionally invested in the possible future of children in my life.

{that said the dream of kids, funny enough, was murdered when I told my mom I was bi and preferred women. It's like despite years of saying why I REALLY DON'T WANT KIDS which had nothing to do with my sexuality, SOMEHOW my sexuality is the thing that SHATTERED her reality and is the reason I don't want kids . . . like seriously please, being gay isn't the reason, having to carry a human being inside me and give birth to that fucker is the reason KAY THANKS.}

Last edited:

- at what age would you like to have children?

honestly? i haven't a clue at this point in my life, though i'm pretty set on only having children in my thirties, very late twenties at the youngest and fourty at the oldest.

- how many kids would you like to have?

up to three, one adopted. any less is fine with me as well.

- how are you planning to care for your children?

ideally i'd be a stay-at-home mom (dream life honestly), but with how the economy looks currently that won't be likely. luckily, i work as a teacher in the childcare industry so i'd probably get a wicked phenomenal discount on childcare where i'm at now.

- what age group are you in?

22 and younger.

- do the people in your life seem invested in you having children?

no, but i am still pretty young and single so that probably plays into it.

If you are planning on having children

1. My husband and I have a pretty set plan on starting our family in a year and a half. I hope to have any/all kids between 30-35.

2. Probably 2, but maybe only 1.

3. I'm very lucky in that I'll be able to be a stay at home mom and raise my kids myself when the time comes.

4. I'm 29 :) At this point, many of my friends that are the same age already have kids that are old enough to be in school.

5. Very! Not only is there pressure to supply my side of the family with cute little children, but there's also pressure for me to move closer so they can enjoy the kiddos. I understand where they're coming from, but those pressures can make things tough. No pressure from my wonderful in-laws, but I'm sure they'd love having grandkids too.

4. I'm 29 :) At this point, many of my friends that are the same age already have kids that are old enough to be in school.

If you don't mind my asking where do you live? (You can be general, i.e. America). The reason I ask is that the original reason behind the survey was an article stating people where in general having children later. And your the first one to mention that you knew people in the younger age brackets that already had children.

(Most are either wanting to have children later, currently have children but don't mention their friend group, or don't want to have children at all)

I'll be very blunt. I hate 'em. I cannot see the appeal of a loud ball of poop and snots that cannot take care of itself or even tell you what it wants. Each time a baby opens its mouth or tries to interact with me, I feel such immense irritation, I cannot allow myself to even consider bringing something I will hate with all my heart so much into this world. My views are shared by my woman, so even if I could have had kids, we have an absolutely win:win situation there, both having strictly negative attitude towards babies and toddlers.
And I am not ready to let it drain my resources. At all. Making my woman go through nine months of absolute hormonal hell, 24 hours of agone, and then spend at least sixteen years of our lives dealing with an absolute idiot and pay for it? No, than you. We've got two demo versions in forms of dogs, and they are enough.
That being said, I do not believe that people who bring up overpopulation really mean it. I might be terribly wrong, but that looks like a good cover, while in reality they don't give a shit.

I have held this point of view for around twenty years, so no, I do not think so.

Last one. 34+

At times, yes. Mother's lady friends, herself, as well as my father were poking me about it, and reassuring that I'll change my mind when I hit... 20, 25, 30, 35... And I did not. At this point they generally gave up (the fact I cannot even have kids is unknown to them all), but at times some start asking about it and pressuring into it. And everyone made their motivations pretty clear: they want me to think the same way as they think - they want to be right, all but my mother, who was blunt in her desire to have babies around the house (even though we live in different countries). Luckily, I have a little sister she can bug about it instead.

I would not be a good mother. At all. I’m autistic, and one of the things that drives me absolutely nuts is children. When they’re babies their crying and screaming makes me want to stab knives in my ears so I don’t have to listen to it. When they get older their endless questions and noises make me want to run away. I’m selfish and just wouldn’t have the patience to deal with their shit.

No. My reasons won’t just magically disappear one day.

3. What age group are you in? 22 and younger | 23 - 33 | 34 and over
I’m 25

No. My parents know I have no desire for kids, and they why. They respect and understand it, and they know I won’t change my mind. I don’t get questions about it from friends and family. I think it helps that I’m single haha.

If you don't mind my asking where do you live? (You can be general, i.e. America). The reason I ask is that the original reason behind the survey was an article stating people where in general having children later. And your the first one to mention that you knew people in the younger age brackets that already had children.

(Most are either wanting to have children later, currently have children but don't mention their friend group, or don't want to have children at all)

I don't want to feed into stereotypes, but Texas. Not a rural, country part of Texas though. The area I grew up in (and where my friends with children are from) is in a suburban town close to a large city. Many people I went to high school and college with married in their early to mid twenties and started families pretty soon after that. There are still plenty that don't have kids though, so probably the trend of having kids later in life still applies even to my region of the US. But every time I log into Facebook it's like BOOM, pictures of kids. My little brother and his wife (both 22) just had their first child, and it seems so damn young to me, but they're happy, and sometimes babies just happen. I definitely feel like the clock is ticking!

to put it bluntly im not father material - i have a quick temper, im impatient, im forgetful, and im very averse to unsanitary things (so changing diapers, potty training, snotty noses, etc aren't for me as i vomit very easily) along with the fact that i just want to live with my boyfriend (hopefully my husband one day) and our pets. i'm on the spectrum so i get overwhelmed very easily - crying and shrieking would drive me up the wall and i'd be miserable. i like being able to do what i want without having to think about taking care of someone else for 18+ years, i just don't think its the path for me. also - tokophobia. i'm ftm and dating someone who is also and i get really anxious/squicked by pregnancy and childbirth. combined with the extremity of my phobia and my low pain tolerance.. its a no from me, chief.

nope - i'm happy how i am and i'm happy being someone's godfather or uncle instead. i'm very stubborn and i've also felt this way since i could remember - one of my biggest fears as a kid was having to give birth. i remember thinking 'why did my mom have me if im going to go through this much pain' in regards to birth because i didn't yet understand it was an option to not have kids.

i'm 18!

unfortunately yeah people push me to change my mind so often that i feel like i don't even have a last nerve for them to get on you know.. i don't bother people about their personal decisions so i want mine left alone too , you know? i'm not a bad person and i'm not going to change because everyone else is pissed at me for taking my life into my own hands? idk man.

As pathetic and self-hating as it sounds, because I'm autistic. I'm pretty sure autism is very much a hereditary condition, and as much as I enjoy the goods that come with it, I would never wish for anyone else to suffer through what my condition has had me do. If I has a choice in keeping someone from getting the condition, I would definitely decide not to let it happen. Besides, I don't think I was meant to be a breeder. I think I was meant to go on to further society in other ways.
2. Is your reasoning likely to change? If so why
Maybe. Maybe when I grow out of my angsty teenage years I'll realize I can help and heavily relate to my child to ensure they don't fall down the same pitfalls as me. If on the off chance I do manage to hit it of with a nice girl, and we ultimately decide to start a family, I would definitely reconsider my reasons for not having a child.
No. All they care about is that I have a nice life, and end up doing something that pays well, and leaves me with the ability to live independently. Maybe there's more pressure on my brother, since he doesn't have my condition, but I've never asked him about that.

1. At what age would you like to have children? - Well, I'd like to have children before I'm 30, I'm currently on the verge of being 26 ^_^

2. How many kids would you like to have? - Minimum, 1, maximum, 2.

3. How are you planning to care for your children? (stay at home, daycare, help from relatives) - I'd probably take care of them myself, with the help of family members as one cannot really prepare for parenthood. Perhaps daycare when they're like, tot age. Helps me keep a job and provide for them instead of just letting my boyfriend do all of the work!

4. What age group are you in? 22 and younger | 23 -33 | 34 and over - I am 26, so 23 - 33.

5. *Added* Do the people in your life seem invested in you having children? - My family has showed no particular interested in me having children, that's not to say they'd dislike it. I'm really close with the people in my family, especially my mother and my uncles. I think they'd be pretty jazzed about me having kids though, they'd want to be invested I'd like to think.

If you are planning on having children

I want to have children young. I want to grow up with them. I would like to have them between ages 21 and 25. I just turned 19, so two years seems so close! But if I were to get pregnant now, I would be fine with that.

I believe 3 is perfect, 4 being the absolute maximum for me.

I have to work. My boyfriend’s mother reminds me nearly everyday that I will NOT send my children to daycare, I will send them to her. She does not want to see them in daycare. Quite frankly, I’m on board with that. I’d rather the grandma (who is 110% willing to watch the kids) have them than strangers.

22 and younger. I just turned 19. c:

My whole family believes in having children, but my #1 fan is my boyfriend’s mother. She asks me nearly everyday, “When are you going to give me a grandbaby?” She’s only in her early 40’s, so I want her to grow up with a grandbaby as well. Since I don’t live near my own family, it’s very reassuring to know that my boyfriend’s mother would voluntarily support us all the way. Even considering the fact that I’ve been dating her son for only 2 years!

Well, for starters, according to me, babies are gross. Before people start getting offended, this is my personal opinion, and I am not against people who love children and all. But I just don't even find babies cute. And I'd be a terrible mother.
Well, it probably will. I'm a fourteen year old, for evil's sake! Or, it may not. Indian relatives pressure you for children so much, that at one point, you'll avoid kids just to prove a point.
As mentioned, I am younger than 22.
YES. My grandmother is already saving up for my kids!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back