Viewpoint What are your favorite settings to roleplay in?

hmm I don't really like modern rp, unless they have fantasy elements (akin to Final Fantasy games settings) or are modern AU of some fandom that I like to rp in.

I mostly prefer fantasy settings. Particularly, historical fantasy when it's based on real history but has fantasy elements in them (and it gives me some leeway so that I didn't have to obsess over being historically accurate because I know I would if I have it as a realistic historical setting).

I'm totally hooked on wuxia China and Japanese mythology and samurai era. With a few exceptions, this is all I rp lately lol

But currently I have built this one world with another friend, that's so beautiful and intricate. We fleshed out everything, from the smallest dirt road to the environments each culture we created as well has to deal with. And that so far is my "2019 favorite".
So what kind of setting is it? :)

So what kind of setting is it? :)

Ah! That's where I messed up lol. It's basically like a fantastical world based setting and like a very naturey one? If that makes any load of sense. Sorry I get so caught up in discussing it's details but not the actual thing.

Well, for me I have like a few settings that I haven't tried in an successful group like Pokemon - playing as Mystery Dungeon Pokemon, or that are absolutely favourite (modern fantasy, often intermixed with magical animals or technocratic superpowers, sandbox multifandom RPs), and ones I didn't have yet to hone, since so much time passed (dungeon-crawling for example, last time I played that was a year ago.)

Anyway, I might change my mind if there's a setting that interests me more.
(I don't mind Ori RPs either just to note.)

I will roleplay any setting as long as it interests me, but I gravitate towards fantasy and adventure genres typically. Stuff with an anime aesthetic might also add an appealing factor to things. It depends how things are executed and explained.

Last edited:
Naruto, ASOIAF, Warcraft, and Marvel/DC for named fandoms.

Most anything if we're doing OCs. I say most because I tend to be alright with trying things once. Usually.

Honestly, I love a wide variety of settings. :) But if I had to pick my favourite, it would have to be a fantasy setting where angels and demons exist, or supernatural beings. Probably because of my favourite TV shows, honestly, but I also find that while many people's interpretations of vampires, werewolves, and whatnot, don't seem to vary much (And that's perfectly fine)... Everyone seems to have a bit of a different idea of angels and demons. It's intriguing to me what people will do if you give them "Make heaven and hell", and how different people will often show their interpretation.

God, I can't believe I didn't respond to this one earlier. I'm a huge worldbuilding passionate, and I like to have my settings well-established even befor the roleplay begins, heck, I often like worldbuilding even if there is no roleplay or story attached.

Isekai World: Isekai world's are typically composed of relatively generic fantasy worlds (fantasy races, magic all around, pseudo-medieval time period...) with RPG-like mechanics such as skills, levels, HP and MP, monsters, adventurers, dungeons etc... They are borderline games to life in a sense. Apart from my interest in the genre overall, and my love for the tone of it, I love how these settings incorporate magic into their overall societal structures and especially how they incorporate the isekai aspect- of people who are brought there from other worlds- likewise into those societies. I think it's a kind of setting for people who love game settings or playing with tropes, and as it happens, I'm a big fan of both of those.

Virtual Reality Game: The second setting-type I tend to love is "virtual reality games", this is, a setting where the majority or at least the focus of the RP is spent inside a fully immersive virtual reality experience of a game. This will typically be an MMORPG-type game, though I wouldn't be entirely opposed to other types of games with a good enough GM and presentation.
Game-like settings really play off of the way I like to do things as a player. I am a player by nature, and someone who loves worldbuilding and getting to really know the setting. I love a magic system I can work off of, though I like things to be somewhat controlled and and reigned in. It's exciting to get to pick and choose your favorite options, at least when there are enough options to actually make something you like, which thankfully RP can offer without the restraints of a real game. The system is also more orderly and organized this way. It allows me to love freedom without worrying about how it will be abused, or enjoying the rules and systems without them being something extra, but rather being incorporated into the experience.

MHA Setting: I'm just gonna say it, I liked MHA before it was cool (or at least before the anime exploded in popularity). What first attracted me to it wasn't the shounen aspect but the setting. I absolutely love just how thought out the impact of "suddenly everyone has super powers" is on society, and how MHA's hero society and system is structured. Quirk's themselves are also quite fascinating, being that despite being superpowers the setting does actually treat them as the ultimately biological factors that they are in-universe. A shame that in many RPs, players just tend to forget that crucial aspect about quirks.

My Own Work, Euphorium: I absolutely love roleplaying in worlds that I get a hand in crafting, as one might expect, though my favorite setting to roleplay in, at this time, is definitely my world of Euphorium. Euphorium is a fantasy world that was originally created to be a gathering place for many of my loose ideas, and it eventually developed into a cohesive whole with a whole rich history to it. The central idea of Euphorium is that it is a world where free will is in fact a property of matter that allows said matter to break the rules of the universe. It's at the basis of everything that goes beyond pebbles and dust, from life, to sentience, to desire, and of course, magic. Thus, the use of magic risks inflicting the loss of all things.
I had plans on writing more about Euphorium to be honest if I started on any particular aspect I'd continue to add more details, probably. So I'll leave it open for any curious answers and otherwise just leave it at this.

Fantasy is my favorite! The worlds of dragon age and skyrim were so fun to learn about and play in! Although sci-fi can be very hard for me to get into. When it comes to modern/realistic stuff, I tend to like more serious and emotional role plays as opposed to slice of life.

Fantasy!!
I'm a big fan of most fantasy settings. My upmost favorite being "medieval", high fantasy settings.

I'm a huge fan of modern fantasy
Also a big fan of settings that combine old and new. A good example is most final fantasy games where sci-fi and fantasy are incorporated, as well as Naruto, where it's a cross between modern day and feudal japan (I don't roleplay Naruto but I'm mostly using it as a example of what I mean..)

Historically inspired fantasy mostly (like either medieval, 1700s, 1800s inspired clothing/technology with collaborative world-building from there), with a sprinkling of sci-fi and urban fantasy mixed in here or there. Especially around Halloween, I crave like, covens in Chigaco and stuff like that.

That said, I drool over anything with pirates or thieves. I think every single one of my stories has pirates or at least a damn smuggler.

in one of my old role plays we were in a different dimention and we named two planets there
venosence :a dusty planet that's mainly desert exept the for the city's the one we were in was
called genhu

Junya: a planet known for being the Galaxy's main junk yard the people who live there are mainly tinkerers and engineers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back