Literature What are you reading at the moment?

I'm currently slowly working my way through The Picture of Dorian Gray, but I also have Jane Eyre and When We Were Orphans queued on my list ^v^! Ishiguro my beloved <3

The Brother's Karamazov by Dostoevsky. It's long and difficult to get through at times, but I'm enjoying it. It's wildly melodramatic – Fyodor Pavlovich is a complete ass and a drunken buffoon, and poor Dmitri is an emotional mess of a human being. Living in his head seems utterly exhausting. Ivan is an interesting character, and I especially liked his lengthy convo with Alyosha before he left for Moscow... And Alyosha, dear Alyosha, I love him. I find quite a bit of inspiration in him, even though I am not religious myself and religion is central to his character. He has a strong character, is remarkably kind, and is capable of seeing the good in everybody. I probably relate most to Ivan, but I want to be more like Alyosha.

Well, at the moment I am *listening* to two audio books so I hope those two count as well! It's the first Witcher book and the first Dresden Files book.

The books that I am actually trying to chew my way through are these Jo Nesbo Books; The Son, Kingdom and Macbeth.
And then the first two Outlander books are on the list as well. I've been really bad at keeping up with stuff, but let me just gush about Jo Nesbo for a hot second.

His books are gritty and cold, but his writing style is just so nice and pleasant to read through. He writes crime thrillers and I never thought I would love crime thrillers this much. My first book from him was Blood on Snow and oh boy, it messed me up. I get way too into the characters and before I know it, it's 4 am, I have work in 5 hours, I'm sitting in the kitchen crying while reading and stuffing my face with shredded cheese.

But then there is a book that I always pick up and I just stop reading half way through, which is Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow and it actually turned out to be a pretty hard read for me merely because of the story.
((sorry for the ramblings i just chugged some coffee))

I'm rereading the harry potter books again for some reason. I have my personal disputes with J.K Rowling, but I find her works unrivaled. And I am a huge fan of the actual books themselves, and even the movies.

Just started with Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn. It's been a long time coming but I could never get myself to sit down and actually read anything until now.

I'm actually reading a new (2014) translation of Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

I'm not usually one for classics; but it's absolutely so much fun to read. And it becomes even better when you realize the main character is literally Joe from You.

I finished John Romer's two-volume history of Ancient Egypt, all the way from pre-history to the fall of the Middle Kingdom there today; I believe he's in the process of writing a third volume on the New Kingdom at the moment too.

So, if you're interested in Egyptian history, I'd highly recommend the pair of them! :closed eyes open smile:

I live for fanfiction, and I’m so sad I can’t run on about it the same way you can about published works. It’s all I’ve been reading of late and there are some STUNNING authors out there creating this shit for free. That’s amazing and holy hell am I so grateful.

I recently finished The Dead and The Dark by Courtney Nichols Gould, it's her debut novel a supernatural thriller that I literally finished in one night because I could not put it down. Gould is a queer fiction writer, says so right on her website, and I'm always looking for fiction that I can see myself in. She's working on her next novel currently and I'm super excited for the 2022 release!

There are a lot of fics that are famous for their quality and length out there! It's not too hard to find a few of them, but off the top of my head may i offer you the semi famous Narnia fic "Bride of Tash" and, as a nontraditional palate cleanser, the visual novel "Golden Treasure: The Great Green"?
(You will definitely need to chase the one with the other, or at least with something psychologically healing that reminds you the universe is not holding a motive over you and pretending to be a moral arbiter when you throw your hands up and ask it why :●))

Currently reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Been wanting to read it for awhile and mentioned it to my teacher who managed to get me a copy!

Way too much, and usually, never finish what I started.

But it's not a problem. Because most of what I read are webnovels, the authors don't finish them either, so we're good.

I'm currently reading Aristotle and Dante Discover the Waters of the World. If you're into YA LGBTQ+ romance, this series is great.

Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima, and very slowly going through the rest of Mishima's works.
Recently finished the manga adaptation of No Longer Human as well.
(I just realized you've liked practically every post on this thread Larry, very dedicated)

I think it would be rude not to do so, but thank you for the compliment! :closed eyes open smile:

I was actually looking at books there yesterday on the Penguin website, and I came across a history of Japan from 1850 to the present; since you mentioned that you were interested in Meiji-Era Japan in that history thread, I thought it might be something you'd have a tinsy bit of interest in.

I'll leave the link here for ya Zerachiin!

I'm currently reading "Scythe" by Neal Shusterman. I got it for Christmas recently, and it's a pretty good book.

Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. As a fan of his older works like Otherland and Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, if it’s even a fraction as good as they are it will be epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back