Literature What are you reading at the moment?

Black Apple by Joan Crate

Has to do with Residential Schools

Black Apple by Joan Crate

My best and only friend wrote a book called "As the Bannock Burns". It's about his experience working as a teacher in a nearby reserve. It's amazing and so is he.

Attachments

• 32087101_10155698478416775_7175659349564456960_n.jpg
    32087101_10155698478416775_7175659349564456960_n.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 2
I'll have to give that a read! Thanks for the suggestion.

So I am taking a bit of a break from To Your Eternity, finished Mortal Engines. Started on this 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Apparently it's 3 books in one. So far I'm enjoying it, trying to figure out what's going on still it is a good read.

the blind assassin by margaret atwood was recommended to me by a friend so i borrowed it from the library

Just finished everything by Christopher Paolini, my favorite author. Going through the Bartimaeus Sequence, by Johnathan Stroud, now.

Ohh - last time I was in the hospital one of the novels I read was about this young woman who gets hit by a vehicle (bus?) and then is given a special tapeworm that has been genetically modified to keep her alive. I wish I could remember the title or author. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

There's something about the colder weather that makes me want to cuddle up and read something about marvelous kingdoms.
I finished
The Betrothed by Keira Cass and am waiting on it's sequel to find it's home on my bookshelf. It was the sort of book that I was nearly halfway through before asking myself: "Do I even like this book?" I think it was my least favorite of all of the books by Cass but it wasn't bad enough that I wasn't emotionally invested in the blonde haired protagonist's success in the next book.
I'm reading A Court of Thorns and Roses now and I'm finally getting into it. It was a slower buildup, where I wondered if the author would be able to keep my attention over the span of multiple books. I'm starting to draw the connections between this magical tale and Beauty and The Beast and the inner Disney girl in me is quite happy.

Currently I am reading the light novel: "Return of the Female Knight." It's pretty good, and despite a lot of it being quite serious at times, there are some parts that are a quite funny. It's a good series if you're like me who struggles on finishing chapters from books, since it is quite short per one. All the characters are quite unique and charming in their own ways.

Illidan, authored by William King.

Man all these people are reading some sophisticated books, I was just going to say Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Claire (or actually any book associated with the Shadowhunters series)

I am currently reading the trilogy of Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Today I actually finished the first book in the series, and let me tell you, it was amazing. When I came across the book I fell in love with the whole concept of it. I thought the whole idea of it was amazing and just- so interesting. I would totally recommend this series to anyone that likes romance novels. I had such a fun time reading the book and it did not disappoint.

Some of the lines in the book that I thought were amazing:

"I love you. Remember, they cannot take it."
"I hate skin; I hate bones and bodies. I want to curl up inside of him and be carried there forever."
"Love, the deadliest of all deadly things: it kills you both when you have it and when you don't."

If any of you are interested in learning more about the book and the general idea of it, here is the back of the book.

In an alternate United States, love has been declared a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure called the Cure. Living with her aunt, uncle, and cousins in Portland, Maine, Lena Haloway is very much looking forward to being cured and living a safe, predictable life. She watched love destroy her mother and isn't about to make the same mistake.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena meets enigmatic Alex, a boy from the "Wilds" who lives under the government's radar. What will happen if they do the unthinkable and fall in love?

reading Silence of the lambs right now. (I'm not gonna lie, I started reading the books because I was watching the NBC show and was kinda bummed hannibal is more of a piece of furniture rather than a main character here but eh)

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Oddly enough, a stranger recommended this novel to me while he saw me reading at the bus stop. He was kind to offer up a little synopsis: “The human experience - life and death - throughout generations wrapped up in poetic magical realism.”

It’s definitely a little wordy at times, but I enjoy the rambly-ness. The characters are quite compelling in that each one has a different challenge and story to tell independently (despite the framing being focused on family life), hence, the theme of solitude is perpetuated.

“That was the way he always was, alien to the existence of his sons, partly because he considered childhood as a period of mental insufficiency, and partly because he was too absorbed in his fantastic speculations.” - Marquez

I picked up “The Atlas Six” and I’m only a couple of chapters in, due to time constraints, but I’m loving it so far. Atlas is a great character and I really like this quirky, unusual magic system with an integration into out modern society and capitalism. It’s something I just haven’t seen done before, and I really like it. I hope the story is about to pick up and really grab my attention

Dune, Horseman by Christina Henry (definitely recommend her stuff), Pride & Prejudice (borrowing stuff from the library out of boredom haha), Rereading Percy Jackson as well, same for Anne rice stuff <3 . Most are audiobooks currently but I do have physical copies of some as well. On paper is Horseman and PJ. I have most of the vampire chronicles for anne rice but im listening to the audiobooks right now

Pride & Prejudice

Never really been a fan of Jane Austen. I've read P&P and Northanger Abbey and really there's only so much Victorian-era debutante drama I can stand. When read with respect to its publication date, the novels are quite progressive I guess, but today they seem very dated.

Today, I started Hyperion by Dan Simmons and I knew that I was in for a doozy when the author started writing with his own made up verbs. But that is the genius of a creative, isn’t it?

I’ve been reading a lot of YA books over the last two years. I’ve become very fond of Margaret Owen so I might start reading her newest book “Little Thieves” next!

I just finished The Last Graduate from the Scholomance series by Naomi Novik. It'll probably be a while for the next one to come out. Right now I am reading Uprooted also by Naomi Novik.

This comes as a suprise to most people cause of my cheerful personality, but I love books about murder, true crime, horror shorts based on true stories, those kinds of things. I don't even know why I like these books seeing as I can't stand violence and crime outside of a book/roleplay. A book that I'm reading at the moment is Mind Hunter (which also has a show on Netflix according to the cover of it) and it's about a guy from the Investigative Support Unit, Special Agent John Douglas and his most gruesome and darkest cases. I find it super interesting so far, and I definetely reccomend it to any fans of True Crime and Horror!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back