Literature What are you reading at the moment?

It seems all of ye are still reading strong!
I've started the Iliad there only a few days ago, but I felt it best to read it in pieces, around two books (chapters) a day if I can. :closed eyes open smile:

Oh awesome choice! I'm in the middle of the second. It's honestly surprising it's considered YA. I almost missed it because of that lol. Is that a genre you usually read?

🖤 🤍 🖤 🤍
"YA" is what, exactly. I am no acronym person. As for genres, I typically stick to fantasy, but there's a gaping void in competent literature, so I reach out. I usually read academic papers, whether I want to or not.

It seems all of ye are still reading strong!
I've started the Iliad there only a few days ago, but I felt it best to read it in pieces, around two books (chapters) a day if I can. :closed eyes open smile:
The bad english version, or the common tongue version.

It's a Wordsworth Classics edition, so I can imagine you'll put that in either category for me! :3D:

"YA" is what, exactly. I am no acronym person. As for genres, I typically stick to fantasy, but there's a gaping void in competent literature, so I reach out. I usually read academic papers, whether I want to or not.
Fantasy is a big one that struggles with consistent quality. It is hard to find ones that are worth it. Personally I lean more toward horror but find the character building pretty strong in Red Rising that hooked me. Pretty memorable.

I hope you enjoy it!

I'm reading Frankenstein for an essay I have to do in a week for school. I kept forgetting to do it over the summer... so yeah... Not my best moment.

A lot. I keep getting distracted and picking up new books. I'm in the middle of:
The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday
Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic by Holly Lisle
Dad, How Do I? by Rob Kenney
The Encylopedia of Birthdays by Theresa Cheung
and the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf: The Apocalypse.
... I should probably finish one of these books.

Currently, I’m just about finished with A Modern Cinderella by Charlotte M. Braeme (though, I’m not entirely sure just how modern it is as it was written in the 1860s). It’s a cute little retelling of a classic fairytale. As it is a Victorian story and not even 80 pages long, it has a lot of black and white morality, but I adore Cinderella as a fairy tale, so I take it for what it is: a light, fluffy, more grounded story.

I’m also reading two other books: The Jazz Palace by Mary Morris and The Heritage by Frances Parkinson Keyes.

The Jazz Palace is really good, and I’m breezing through it.

I’m enjoying The Heritage, though it is a little wordy. Even her fade to black (which requires little more that “They had sex”) is wordy.

I'm extremely slow going, but I am attempting to read through The Last Wish book. It's sort of the prequel Witcher book that consists of adventures of Geralt's, or Geralt short stories. It's very good, but I am painfully slow and tend to write a lot of commentary and notes and reread passages. I have picked it up two other times and ended up getting distracted or too busy to continue it. Hopefully, this time I can finish it. Maybe even move on to the series, but... we'll see about that. 😅

Hello everyone! Forgive me if this isn't the proper prefix, but I wanted to ask you readers on here, what books are ye going through at the moment? Personally, I'm reading through David Abulaifa's The Boundless Sea: A Human History of the Oceans. It isn't so much a natural history (as the title says) but moreso how human beings have interacted with the oceans and how they were used as means for trade, conquest, the spreading of ideas and immigration amongst many other things!

So I'd be very well interested in hearing what you're reading about or even the genres that you gravitate towards. :closed eyes open smile:
The Witcher!

I'm finally on the last wheel of time book, a memory of light, book 14 after being on this series for two years. I recently finished reading the infernal devices too, honestly enjoyed it a lot more than I though I would. I recently started reading the assassins apprentice too and I'm hoping to start the witcher books after wheel of time.

...I typically stick to fantasy, but there's a gaping void in competent literature....

Try "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" series by Stephen Erickson. It's 10 novels and has a total word count three and a half times that of the Harry Potter series. The prose isn't terribly complex, but people who've read it typically start drooling over it.

The first book is called "Gardens of the Moon".

Bonus points because the series sprung out of the author's roleplaying campaign. Now the dude's rich.

A bunch of Terry Pratchett. So far, in the order that I read, though definitely NOT the order they were intended to be read in:

Snuff
Going Postal
Thud!
Mort

RIP sir Terry.

If I could live in one fantasy world, it'd be Discworld and it's not even a close contest.
I tried to read Discworld as a kid, but I couldn't get into it because I didn't understand that it's a series where you can jump in at various points, and not only at the beginning -- even today I have trouble getting into Colour of Magic. In middle or high school I read Maskerade as well just because it was a well-loved Phantom of the Opera parody. Only as an adult have I been in the right emotional and philosophical place to really, really appreciate it -- and right now, it's blowing me away. I'll probably keep going til I get through the whole series.

I won't deny I cried reading Snuff. I started reading Terry Pratchett because I heard a very touching story about his experience with the Oblivion modding community, so I just checked out the first audiobook of his I could from my library on the Libby app, which happened to be Snuff. I had no idea going into it that it would be the exact book he was working on in connection with that story about Oblivion modding.

I started reading Terry Pratchett because I heard a very touching story about his experience with the Oblivion modding community....

Wut? You'll have to elaborate on that for me because I'm totally ignorant of what you're talking about.

In any case, I envy you. Terry Pratchett is one of the special ones.

At the moment I am reading the books that accompany the show "Heartland" I wanted to see the differences between show and books (like I do for anything I get drawn into one way or the other)
Before that, I was re/reading A Court Of Thorn And Roses and a few other series that I am yet to complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back