Literature What are you currently reading?

I'm not reading anything yet but I'm going to the library to pick out a book today. The book I am DEBATING reading is called "Room" its good, about a little boy and his mom who are trapped in a secret bunker that his dad forces them to stay in for his entire life and the rest is up to you to find out.

I listened to Jane Eyre on audio. Glad I waited till now, because I would not have appreciated it as a teen when they try to force classics onto you. But I really enjoyed it. Now I'm listening to Wuthering Heights because why not do all the Brontes in one go?

And in physical books I'm reading the 3rd book in N K Jemisin's Fifth Season trilogy. (The exact title escapes me.) I just started this one but I know it will be good because books 1&2 were fantastic and well deserving of the hype and awards. If you want fantasy fiction that isn't swords n dragons stuff I recommend checking it out, it's truly unique.

Night Flight by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
He's the same author of The Little Prince.
It's really nice, the setting is fascinating, makes you wanna jump on a vintage plane and just fly wherever the wind takes you.

Currently reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I love the inner conflict of Raskolnikov, and I find it all very fascinating.

Currently RE-reading Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer. This is my fav series, despite chapters 14 & 21, (I'm really squeamish when it comes to blood).

I'm also reading Split Second by David Baldacci (one of my fav crime writers).

And Don't Blink by James Patterson. Patterson doesn't really represent mental illness very well but I try and stay open-minded; I still like it all the same.

I am finally reading sorcerers stone. I'm not done with it, yet I'm always busy and can't find time to read it, but ill try to finish it by either this month or next month

I'm currently listening to an audiobook, The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls by Emilie Autumn.

I've been trying to find the book for years but alas I couldn't come across it easily, so I downloaded Audible. I'm almost finished it and I highly recommend it.

The Shadow Saint, by Gar Hanrahan - sequel to The Gutter Prayer.
Good read. Nothing ground-breaking, but solid weird fantasy. A bit like China Mieville with the sharp edges filed down.

I've recently noticed I have a hard time tracking letters if they're black on white paper, so unless a book prints with the light brown paper, I have to listen to audiobooks. I already read this book and its sequel a year or two ago, but I'm listening to Carve the Mark on Audible.

I'm currently listening to an audiobook, The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls by Emilie Autumn.

I've been trying to find the book for years but alas I couldn't come across it easily, so I downloaded Audible. I'm almost finished it and I highly recommend it.
I've recently noticed I have a hard time tracking letters if they're black on white paper, so unless a book prints with the light brown paper, I have to listen to audiobooks. I already read this book and its sequel a year or two ago, but I'm listening to Carve the Mark on Audible.

I totally support the idea that listening to audiobooks counts as reading. I can't read traditionally while in vehicles (trains, buses, etc.) because I get major headaches if I do. Audiobooks have been my lifesaver on my commute.

Audio books in my opinion is Great, only if you are doing something like napping. If you do it while writing, or messing with your hands, it might mess you up. (My opinion, but people hate my opinion...)

American military history volume I: the forging of a Nation, 1775 - 1917.
I also have the second one. I'm also reading quora still. I started looking up questions for people's opinions on the Fedorov Avtomat, and soon after "quora madness" took hold. The act of scrolling down one when done, and opening another question it displays at the bottom in a list of other questions associated to the one you're reading. I opened up 1 more thing, read it, opened five more, open another after being done with that one... One thing led to another, and now I'm somehow spammed with fifty tabs varying from the Titanic, to the winter war, to some random crap about Kane from command and conquer. Somebody please help me. It happens every time, and takes from a few days to a month to read through and shut them all off.

I prefer owning my books physically, or recording an audio version, because otherwise it reminds me of gaming. TFW you buy a full price game collection but don't have internet and the CD is a music one, and by the time you get internet the code doesn't work. Then I lost the CD through the family car being roflstomped. I can now understand more clearly why people just pirate this stuff. That, and the predatory crap companies and publishers love doing.

I also plan on reading the novel war of the worlds at some point after this. Around that time I would be reading more articles. I am interested in the fields of robotics, by extension androids, and just bionic enhancements. It's been a year since I've went back to finding every remote possible thing I can find with those in particular. It takes quite some time to find something actually new, or isn't someone reporting on something half a year or more late. Not exactly all that interested in looking up AI, but I usually get alot of material to read whenever I do bother with it.

I'm in the midst of rereading An Absolute Scandal by Penny Vincenzi.
It has to do with a bunch of Names from Lloyds losing money during the 1980s due to asbestosis claims. It also includes a bunch of family drama.
Probably going to reread Lord of the Rings next.

I am currently reading The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay and it is a breathtaking read. He truly knows his way around the language.

The Raw Youth by Dostoevsky. I just find realism interesting and love to read works from the era when it was present.

I’m currently reading ‘Mostly Void, Partially Stars’, which is the first volume of episode scripts from the podcast Welcome to Night Vale; I had already listened to the episodes in the volume a few years ago, but it is nice revisiting them again in a book form and reading the writers’ notes. It’s very weird supernatural stuff, but also very funny, I also find it oddly comforting with all the other weirdness in the world right now.

I’m also dipping in and out of reading The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister; it’s slow as it’s a real-life diary so there’s some entries that are pretty uneventful, but it’s just really fascinating to read such a personal account of someone’s life at that time period.

Last edited:
I’m currently reading ‘Mostly Void, Partially Stars’, which is the first volume of episode scripts from the podcast Welcome to Night Vale; I had already listened to the episodes in the volume a few years ago, but it is nice revisiting them again in a book form and reading the writers’ notes. It’s very weird supernatural stuff, but also very funny, I also find it oddly comforting with all the other weirdness in the world right now.

I’m also dipping in and out of reading The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister; it’s slow as it’s a real-life diary so there’s some entries that are pretty uneventful, but it’s just really fascinating to read such a personal account of someone’s life at that time period.

Did you see Gentleman Jack? I'd love to read the Anne Lister diaries.

Did you see Gentleman Jack? I'd love to read the Anne Lister diaries.
I never did and I really should, it’s been on my list of things I want to watch for a long time but for some reason I find it much harder to get myself to take time to sit down and watch a tv programme or film than to read a chapter of a book, even when it’s something I actually want to watch. With this lockdown on though I really don’t have much excuse 😆 Is it good? I get the feeling judging from what I’ve seen people say about the tv series on Tumblr that the fictional Anne might have a slightly more empathetic character than the real-life Anne, although I need to watch and find out.

I never did and I really should, it’s been on my list of things I want to watch for a long time but for some reason I find it much harder to get myself to take time to sit down and watch a tv programme or film than to read a chapter of a book, even when it’s something I actually want to watch. With this lockdown on though I really don’t have much excuse 😆 Is it good? I get the feeling judging from what I’ve seen people say about the tv series on Tumblr that the fictional Anne might have a slightly more empathetic character than the real-life Anne, although I need to watch and find out.

Ohhh it's amazing. Totally recommend. And get the tissues ready! I need an Anne Lister outfit so I can go around seducing the femmes. XDDDD

Anne is selfish, flighty and somewhat mean at first but you grow to love her despite these things. And there's a lot of character development.

Ohhh it's amazing. Totally recommend. And get the tissues ready! I need an Anne Lister outfit so I can go around seducing the femmes. XDDDD

Anne is selfish, flighty and somewhat mean at first but you grow to love her despite these things. And there's a lot of character development.
That sounds really good!! It’s good that it still keeps those aspects of her character as well as having her be likeable, I have seen pictures of that outfit and it looks amazing😄 I’ll have to blooming well make myself sit down and watch it then, maybe I’ll put it on later while I’m drawing.

In the spirit of isolation as the theme I have am now rereading The Shining by Stephen King. Going to follow up with Doctor Sleep.

Doctor Sleep is surprisingly good. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, King knows his craft, but I didn't expect a Shining sequel to work.

Doctor Sleep is actually my favourite of them two of them. I too had a bit to skepticism when I first read it...but yeah I kind of really liked the shining vampires.

I kind of prefer Danny as an adult over when he was a kid. Maybe I just prefer messed up flawed adults though? I also love him in the mentor role and seeing how his powers have changed.
Abba amuses me.

I'm also a big fan of the passed down anger issues and how each generation deals with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back