Literature What are you currently reading?

I'm currently reading The Modern Faerie Tales by Holly black <3 I've already read it, but it's my favorite book(s).

I don't really have a goal, I work too much but I try to read whenever I can!!

I'm on my second pass of Wheel of Time. I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I'm not in a rush to finish. But IIRC after this book (The Shadow Rising) we get into some seriously dragg-y bits, so we'll see how that holds up.

Faith and Fire, a Warhammer 40k novel from the perspective of the Adeptus Sororitas
Goblin Hero, pt. 2/3 fantasy adventure from the perspective of a Goblin
Heart of Darkness, (classic literature has no need of explanation)

Just finished a bunch of novellas - it just happened that way, not a conscious decision.

Shawshank Redemption and The Body by Stephen King - pretty much exactly like the movies based on them, but I enjoyed reading The Body much more than I enjoyed the film Stand By Me. There were two others in this collection that I didn't fancy reading. King is very hit and miss for me.
Black Tides of Heaven by JY Yang .... extremely cool premise, and awesome cover by Yuko Shimizu but let down by literally everything else - characterisation, plot, description, style. Very disappointing.
A Pocketful of Crows by Joanne Harris - an absorbing dark fairy tale.

"The Bartimaeus Trilogy" great reads, although book one (the amulet of Samarkand) is definitely my favorite out of all three.

Rereading Dresden Files. All time favorite book series. I've never really resonated so perfectly with a series before. The humor, and way the main character talks to himself. The way magic and the magic world is described and fits together is just beautifully done.

Currently reading Call Me By Your Name! I honestly love the authors writing style. I'm about half way through and would highly recommend it, so far at least.

Though I've heard bad things about the sequel sadly.

Pride and Prejudice, mainly because I like physical books, but the library is closed, and I somehow kept renewing that book to the point where it's basically mine 0.0

I am reading Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, as well as Jordan Peterson’s 12 Rules For Life. Oh, and the Bible if that counts.

Listening to an audiobook of Twilight New Moon. Never read the books, only ever watched the movies. I won't pretend that it's good, but the narrator makes it sound bearable and it's good background noise for when I do chores around the house or dishes.

I'm also reading the translation of Heaven's Official Blessings by Mo Xiang Tongxiu. I'm still not too far into this, but so far it's kinda goofy.

Im currently reading Codename Sailor V. I am in the middle of going through a Sailor Moon rewatch and I listen to Sailor Moon podcasts while doing busywork at my job. So I wanted to check it out.

Rereading Dresden Files. All time favorite book series. I've never really resonated so perfectly with a series before. The humor, and way the main character talks to himself. The way magic and the magic world is described and fits together is just beautifully done.

And then Jim Butcher will kick you in the feels over and over, and you'll understand betrayal in the same way a cat does when they're gently scooted off your chair. :V

I'm currently slogging slowly making my way through Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. It's actually very engaging, and I enjoy it a lot. I'm just... bad at keeping my attention focused on anything long enough to get through more than a chapter every few days. If I'm lucky.

I'm also probably going to do a re-read of Straczynski and Weston's The Twelve in the next day or so. I'm almost never a fan of grimdark retcons, especially of Golden Age heroes, but this ends up working. Really well, honestly. It helps that the art is wonderful, and there's lots of genuine character-building and emotional moments, which I think a lot of current comics lack.

Reading (on audio) The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. I just finished the third book of four.

I originally got into this because one of the characters looks exactly like one of my RP characters (according to fanart on Pinterest) and I LOVE IT. (On reading, he also acts exactly like my character too which made this even more fun for me.)

I feel like I have read a lot of books recently, but this is the one that has really made me fall in love with it. The characters are amazing, it's so funny and insightful, and the four books are really necessary in order to go as deep as Stiefvater wants to go with these characters. First book: they are likeable, second book: they are real, third book: is this really a book? The author is not only exceptional at characterisation but her dialogue is so good.

Despite the romantic theme set up at the beginning, not a lot of romance, but a lot of cool shit, a ton of friendship, a bucketload of how-well-do-you-really-know-people and amazing supernatural stuff going on.

I recommend this to everyone - no exceptions. 🙂

I don't sit down and read as much as I ought to, but I'm currently reading Life in a Medieval Village, along with the other two books by the same authors, Life in a Medieval City and Life in a Medieval Castle. Helps with low fantasy inspiration a lot, haven't actually read ASOIAF but apparently GRRM read the latter two.

The innocent serf John Nolly was arrested in 1312 for not living on his lord's fief, wtf!!

Last edited:
The innocent serf John Nolly was arrested in 1312 for not living on his lord's fief, wtf!!

Gotta make sure there's a law that requires someone pay you rent. How else will you be able to afford another set of draperies and a new hurdy gurdy for the feast on midwinter's eve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back