Literature What are you currently reading?

I really want to get into Brandon Sanderson's books. I've heard it's good to start with Mistborn but every dang time I go to the library, it's always checked out. :/

Anyways, I just finished The Troop by Nick Cutter and I'm trying to decide between Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut, and Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.

Does your library allow you to place holds or reservations on titles?

Right now, I'm planning to read a lot of history books. Besides that, I'd love to read some great romance books, read fantasy books (even ones that include magic, such as wizard of oz...)

In the future, I'm planning to read any books and every book, it'll take a while, but I'll push myself

Does your library allow you to place holds or reservations on titles?
Yes, and I know it's crazy, but I feel guilty about placing holds. I hate being rushed when I read and would rather just pick up the book when it's available, especially if I've other things to read in the meantime.

Yes, and I know it's crazy, but I feel guilty about placing holds. I hate being rushed when I read and would rather just pick up the book when it's available, especially if I've other things to read in the meantime.
Sometimes you just gotta plan ahead. Sanderson books are worth it.

A very interesting, but I warn very graphic book is Blood Meridian. It has a unique take on the reality if the American West, but...not for those not interested in masses of violence.

A more pleasant read anyone can enjoy is The Hobbit on the complete opposite side of the spectrum.

Men at Arms and Debt: The First 5000 Years, albeit I’m reading men at arms a bit faster though. A mixture of history/politics and fantasy is good though.

I'm reading Make It Stick. It's about how to learn so that you actually remember the material. Reviewing information like in a text book doesn't really help. Actually quizzing yourself on what you want to remember is the way to learn. Recalling information helps strengthen neural pathways and makes things easier to remember.

Well I don't know how to translate the title of the book I'm reading from Greek to English but it's a really awesome book about wolves irl. (Fun fact: Did you know that they can have crows and other birds as companions to help them with locating prey?!?!?!) To be honest, as much as I want to keep rambling about wolves I don't think anyone would want to read that so.... Guess I'm leaving then ^^"

As a former librarian: if you place holds on books, it marks out to library staff that the book is popular and they will buy more copies to fill demand if necessary. Also, some books never get returned and if it's the only copy in the library, placing a hold will allow library staff to takes steps to get it returned or buy a replacement.

Also it's good for library usage statistics, so I urge you not to feel guilty and place holds on everything!

My nearest library is so tiny it rarely has any books I want to read so I basically place holds all the time so they can borrow books from other branches. It's such a useful service.

Libraries are awesome.

I'm currently reading Six of Crows and really enjoy it. I'm looking to start the Court of Thorns and Roses series soon. I've heard it's not that great but I like to hate-read sometimes because I have issues.

I would like to point out to any of those lurking, that audiobooks still count as "reading" for the sake of literature consumption. If you would like to read more, but find yourself at a loss for time to sit with a text copy, try listening to audiobooks for those long stretches of time where you are doing mindless work (such as yard work in my case) or driving! I am a ravenous consumer of audiobooks given that I am stuck driving long commutes two or more hours a day.

My unsolicited advice aside (sorry, original poster), I am currently reading the second installation of the Kingkiller Chronicles: Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I have to admit that I feel a great deal of frustration about the work. It's so well-designed and detailed, and the way it's told meshes well with the story the author wants to convey. That said, it's potentially a dead series without a conclusion. It is coming up on nine years since the release of Wise Man's Fear. The four years that separated the first book and the second book had been considered long, but as the decade mark looms, I worry that it will never be finished. It might just be my natural anxiety talking, but I hate picking up something that goes without conclusion. It ruffles me in a way that echoes in my head for years, coming back to haunt me whenever I consider a new book or show. The only thing worse would be if I put the book down right now and refused to read any further for lack of a third installment. That would be even more blasphemous to my sensibilities, though I'm not quite sure why. I guess you can liken it to an addict: I want so badly to drain every last drop and get every little fix I can before that well runs dry and I'm left wanting. Anyway, one can hope, right?

I am currently reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. It's about the NSA and an unbreakable rotational code.

Librarian here, see if your library allows interlibrary loans on popular titles. You’ll be getting it from an entirely different system in that case. You won’t have to worry about being rushed and you’ll be boosting the other library’s circulation numbers.

Additionally see if your library has an ebook catalog. Those books are usually slightly less in demand and again your boosting your libraries numbers. Plus ebooks have a longer base check out period (depending on the system you use).

Granted this assumes you have a medium to large library. If the local library is a one or two person operation you might have to get creative. But it doesn’t hurt to ask in any case. Even if they don’t have the services I mentioned they should be able to tell you what they do have.

To the topic at hand I’m eagerly awaiting the arrival of Super Ajacent by Crystal Cestari.

It doesn’t come out until March so I gotta wait while for the library to get it in order (or buy it myself for my birthday).

But it’s basically about the civilian partners of superheroes teaming up and finding their self-worth outside of being the designated damsels. I’m gonna try to get her previous series at the library too.

I'm reading Dollface by Renee Rosen. And I'm slowly working my way through The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy as it is quite the huge book. It requires pacing.

I started The Final Programme last month, but I never got back around to finishing it when other things came up.
After I'm over the cold I have I'd like to finish it.

I’ve been reading a book called The Librarian of Auschwitz, it was gifted to me for Christmas. I haven’t yet finished it, but it is an extremely compelling story of a young girl’s survival in Auschwitz while also protecting a series of books. After I finished my current reading, I plan to start Far From the Madding Crowd.

at the moment, i'm reading a book called Scythe, by Neal Shusterman. it's really good, and there's two books out atm, with a third coming out soon.

Finally finished King of Scars. The ending dragged on, in my opinion. I get it was setting up for the sequel, but the dramatic reveal fell flat after the drawing out of the finale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back