Viewpoint What are things you enjoy?

A well thought out, awesome, holy cow type of plot twist and no I'm not talking about Scooby-Doo with a twist and the twist being Scooby has magical powers...

I like playing characters that are in roles of strategic leadership that, while its individuals making decisions, it has impacts across a wider array of the faction.

Ahhhh, all of the things on here are great!

If I may add: Good villains.
When someone makes a good villain in an rp, and you can tell they're enjoying it, and all the motivations are strong and make sense, and just GOOD VILLAINS.
Some villain characters just get so boring with "ooh I'm evil, bleh bleh bleh" but have you ever seen those villains that you can tell are having fun (and usually the character's owner too)? And the details in the relationships between villains and literally every character? Priceless. And the villains that aren't all bad, like when they'll help one character and then be fight another and there's just so much depth and detail and I love it!

Well, this is one massive question, there's so much I like in RPs, where to even start? I could try to make a favorites list, but I wouldn't even know how to begin to assess that, but I can't list them all... So I'll try using these criteria:
*No likes that are just my preferences. I won't say "I love X genre", though I could say I love magic.
*No likes that are givens (for instance, liking character development is kind of a given).
*Exception to the previous: Degree. I will still say I like one of the previous if rather than me just plain liking it, I like there being a lot of it, or to a greater intensity.

In addition, because I couldn't go in-depth with this big a list, I'll stick to just base descriptions this time around.

What I Enjoy In....

Overall:
--->Anime-ish stuff is my jam, be it a plot, characters, and even in chatting I love to be able to talk about anime and manga, make references and in-jokes and the like.
---->I am a planner by nature, so I love to get to plan and craft the best story I can manage, or even just some events between characters etc... I like planning.
---->Getting to express my creativity in the RP through my characters, worlds, ideas etc...
--->Getting to not only create the story and characters, but experience it as a I build it and share it with my fellow players

Players:
---->Players who are kind and friendly, people who make others feel welcome and are great to hang around with.
---->Players who have genuine passion for the RP, not only taking the innitiative, but taking interest in the developments, speculating about things, and really enjoy themselves with the topic. The kind of people who not only put consistent effort into things, but go out of their way to go an extra mile.
----->Players who can appreciate a joke, not necessarily just good ones either, and who can play along with the less serious elements. Just as importantly, players who understand that roleplays are works of fiction for people's entertainment and don't try to take the real world to or from the roleplay when it isn't called for (and by that I mean legitimately called for, not just when they perceive it being called for).
---->Banter and in-jokes in the group, the fun of hanging out with people whom you could call not just partners or fellow players, but friends
---->Player's to take genuine interest in other people's characters and the GM's work, who are legitimately invested in how not just their own work, but that of others as well will develop and like to assist in that.
--->players full of cheer and energy, which is much like the first point but really helps someone feel appreciated and lifting up the mood.
--->Players cooperating with the GM and other players, in particular through coordination, but also just doing things like helping
——>Players that know how to be moderate when it comes to getting what they themselves want, and given the option are able to hold back and let others take the win without trying to sneak in a pseudo-victory, and are patient in letting the character grow gradually, rather than wanting to be able to achieve everything right away.

GMs:
---->Gms who are willing to compromise with their players and work with them for something that can satisfy them without breaking the RP
--->Gms who know how to put their foot down, taking legitimate consideration on what might hurt the RP.
--->GMs who envolve their players, taking the time to really consider their characters and how to incorporate them into the story, rather than treating them as just filling a slot any other could occupy.
---->Honest GMs, who not only consider their criteria for things and how they would prefer it be, but lay it out clearly for the players to assess whether the RP is a good fit for them, rather than trying to pander for as many as possible when they are clearly not trying to create a roleplay that would legitimately satisfy their needs.

Plots: (premises, really)
---->Plots with a good sense of direction and potential to ramify.
---->Plots which immediately give me character ideas I would like to try

Characters:
---->Characters that aren't trying to run from the tropes, be it by outright embracing or playing with the trope, or simply clearly fitting within a type but being developed properly without trying to force some pretentious "originality" that is fundamentally impossible to achieve.
---->Characters written truly in depth right from the character sheet.
---->Characters with very straightforward personalities, not due to lack of complexity, but due to true commitment to their traits
---->Characters and character abilities designed with creativity in mind first and foremost, with getting ahead being a secondary objective or even not one at all.
---->Connecting my characters with those of other players, through prior relationships (tying backstories) or through designing them in a way that enhances their natural dynamic.
---->Characters with a bigger focus on a smaller and personal conflict, rather than anything more over the top.
---->Characters that are just average joes in their own worlds.
---->Anime-inspired characters (by type, not rip-off)

---->Posts that are good quality, lengthy and juicy for a detailed roleplayer like myself
--->Reading other people's reactions to what I post and the twists and actions I introduce

Settings:
----->Worlds with intricate and consistent worldbuilding, that welcomes players to do their own thing, but still has a solid basis in its design. I especially love seeing the way different societies and species end up being shaped by the different conditions of those worlds.
----->Intricate hard magic systems, and getting to explore them in doing my own thing.
---->RPG-ish game elements woven with the RP, from an IC or OOC stand point.
--->Getting to share the worlds I design with others and seeing their perspective as they play in those worlds, and their own take as they make characters in those worlds.

Honestly this is just the tip of the iceberg, there's so much more that I enjoy, but I've had this tab open for nearly a week now just listing new stuff... so I'll end it here for today.

I always adore people that take such specific notice in a character, plot, location, or genre and bring it into the rp. Five years ago I had a character that had peculiar but beautiful eyes. Usually specific appearances like that go unnoticed. But a rper's character specifically complimented them. I still remember and love what that character said to this day!
I also LOVE it when people show how their characters feel instead of always telling. Like using body motions, having quirks (biting nails, tapping feet, folding arms), and using the environment around them.

I love OOC chatter. Like talking about my OCs and hearing about others. Especially when they're ones people are passionate about

I like character twists. Characters being something you don't expect:
-the kind old lady who runs the inn is actually a very powerful mage
-the leader of the anti-normal group actually has no powers himself
-the god of death, despite seeming evil, is actually a very chill guy

I just like groups coming together to form something they all made together

(and by that I mean legitimately called for, not just when they perceive it being called for)
Aren't these two the same though? I mean, if someone thinks that it's called for then surely it's must be legitimate to them?

Or was there a meeting I wasn't invited to where everyone decided when it was and wasn't legitimate?

Aren't these two the same though? I mean, if someone thinks that it's called for then surely it's must be legitimate to them?
The fact that you interpret something from given content, being more sensitive to given content etc... does not affect whether that content is appropriate for usage, or should require a given level of realism. The concept of "legitimate to them" either doesn't exist or is only applicable to things which are subjective in the first place, but I digress...

For clarification, I'm not talking about you adding more realism to your work, or doing research on a topic, because you either think it's interesting or called for etc... Nor am I talking about players walking away from subjects which they find uncomfortable, or roleplayers and roleplays they find don't handle the subjects they care about properly. I think it's fine and healthy to persue your actual interests and understand what you can or cannot work with without trying to interfere with the work of others due to your own notions.

No, I am simply saying that I appreciate players who understand that fiction is fiction and reality is reality, the basic concept of "artistic lincense" and "don't try to fix what isn't broken". Sometimes people just know about details that others don't because that is a personal passion for them, it's unfair to DEMAND that others share that knowledge. If I, who am not in any way a physicist, decide to use some complicated quantum physics concept to detail on a superpower, you who know about quantum physics may be a little bothered by it, but that doesn't mean I should have to abide by YOUR standards. Likewise, if someone makes a joke about Jesus or their character is a satanist, I shouldn't take that as a personal attack. Someone liking something in a pairing isn't an endorsement of the thing in real life. I shouldn't have to spend hours researching a topic until you're satisfied about my accurate depiction of it that now doesn't work with the story in the slightest, because you didn't like my cheap plot device. And so on and so forth.

Naturally, there's a lot of grey area to this within whose bounds different people will have different ideas about what is or not acceptable. Then there are other areas where it's absolutely too much one way or the other, and people who do fall into those camps. But I am always going to appreciate more that person who doesn't take obvious jokes as personal attacks, who doesn't treat real world accuracy as dogma in a work of fiction, who doesn't undermine undermine people's fun with unwritten rules born of their own sensitivities.

If you were to ask me what a good set of criteria for legitimately calling on changes would be...
-DOes it contradict the rules or what has been established in-universe?
-Does it it lead to actual harm?
-Does it actually hurt the narrative?
-Is it calling on something real and incredibly specific in a way that calls on traits implied by a deeper understanding of the thing rather than just the popular general concept of it?

If any of these criteria are bet, then I'll probably get behind your call-out any day of the week. If they aren't, then you're imposing yourself on others. My criteria may perhaps, no, they probably don't cover even the tip of the iceberg of the complexity of this, but whichever the case, it doesn't change who I do or not appreciate. I know it doesn't sound good to say, but there is such a thing as taking things to seriously, even on legitimately important issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back