Viewpoint What are things you enjoy?

Wert

Something
What are things about, or within, roleplays that you really enjoy and appreciate?

Some of mine:

Character details! For example, I love it when characters have things they carry with them because of personal reasons, efficiency, or past adventures. When I see that someone has put in thought and effort in to not just their character(s) but also the small details surrounding them as a person it gets me really excited to write with them, or to be already writing with them. This also goes with habits and irritations that you can learn about them over time.

Being able to be dramatic without getting judged (much). I like dramatic scenes/characters and being able to write them, especially if the other writer(s) enjoy it, too. Bring on the cheese and flamboyant elves.

You can make a chaotic mess of a story and people will still join and have fun with you. Really, as long as it's within site rules you can do whatever you want.

I really appreciate it when other writers are invested. I like to joke and gush about character interactions and possible feats they'll have to overcome. I don't know how else to explain it, it's really fun and enjoyable.

When you find that one roleplay that hits the sweet spot of what you've been looking for. Thank you for creating this, I love it, I want in. It's just a yes moment.

For me, I love learning about other people's characters. It's fun knowing That people have such unique tastes in what makes a character interesting, since there is a lot I can learn from that. In addition, it's fun to see how characters play off each other. In a well run game, you can see what really motivates a character (and by extension their player) to stick with the group.

A good GM always makes my day, or sometimes year(s). A GM who pays close attention to what inspires their players, and adds in fun ways to bring characters closer, or ways inspire tension without things falling apart. Someone who knows how to pull the strings and really bring out the potential of their players, while still maintaining their carefully planned encounters and plotline (making a few adaptations as needed) is always such a nice person to have in charge.

Speaking of the potential of players, I love playing games with players with a strong personality. People who have their character make funny quips, have unique reactions to encounters, or just generally bring something special to the rp. These are the players I remember, and the players I get excited about playing with again.

I really enjoy coming across characters who come from less common or lesser cliché backgrounds. Rather than coming across the same old characters in zombie apocalypse / post apocalyptic survival themed stories; police officers, ex-military/spec ops grunts, mafia thugs and so on. I remember making a former veterinarian in one of the first RPs I took part in on this site and I had a absolute ball with him. Having transferable skills is the bread and butter of any roleplay but it doesn't always have to be a obvious relationship between what abilities your character has and what sort of role they furfill within the thread. Hell, your medieval wood-cutter would have the upper body strength to pull back the mightest of war-bows. The typical RPG 'dexterity' rogue wouldn't have the raw strength to use more powerful bows and therefore would have to use lesser equipment. Not every 'strong character' has to be a grunt, tank or front-line soldier. Seeing some characters who share the load of the team are amongst my favourites. Carrying extra ammunition for the team, keeping a throwing javelin handy for the team's skirmisher to use and always ready to back up the team no matter the odds.

Ooooo. Okay so a favorite thing of mine is when players write with intent, where they initiate instead of stopping short.

The difference between "Beladonna leans around the corner and shouts at Jace." and "Beladonna leans around the corner and shouts at Jace, moments before a fiery ball wips up her back knocking her into the room".

Which is yes "adding more detail" but more so the fire ball is coming either way it's just one leaves the results/intent to the other player and one actively initiates.

So my point isn't I like super detailed post (I don't really). Rather I like posts that take initiative.

Sorry if this reads like goobly goop I've had 3 hours sleep and stayed up all night. I'm a zombie right now!!

As Dutch Dutch has touched upon the very same subject of people taking the next step in their posts and initiate certain actions and what-not.

As someone who enjoys military themed roleplays, pacing is a absolute killer very early on in most threads as people tend to 'react' in their posts than taking the initiative to progress the story.

A simple example:

#1 stacks up on the door, waiting for his team to catch up before he attempts entry.
#2 writes in their post how they stack up, waiting for the new person.
#3 writes in their post how they stack up, waiting for the new person.
#4 writes in their post how they stack up, waiting for the new person.
#1 Finally initiates the breach into the building and then it's another 2+ week wait for everyone's posts before they then try to stack up on the next door and so on..

four or more posts to get through one door..

Whenever i've run my own military themed threads, i've added in as a rule that people are allowed to take controls of other's as long as it's reasonable. So now instead of waiting several weeks for everyone to post how they stack up on a door:

#1 stacks up on the door, signalling 2, 3 and 4 to come over. With everyone prepared they kick the door in, 2 and 4 head to the imediate right side of the room and continue onwards towards a stairwell and carefully advance upwards to secure the upper floors. Meanwhile 1 and 3 push left and stack up another door before breaching it also and taking control of the kitchen/dinning area.

Now the other characters can react to the initial breach, following the footpath given to them and they can come up with whatever happens next during their attempt to clear the area they've been assigned.

#1 stacks up on the door, waiting for his team to catch up before he attempts entry.
#2 writes in their post how they stack up, waiting for the new person.
#3 writes in their post how they stack up, waiting for the new person.
#4 writes in their post how they stack up, waiting for the new person.
#1 Finally initiates the breach into the building and then it's another 2+ week wait for everyone's posts before they then try to stack up on the next door and so on..
Oh.
OH.
OH THIS.
Oh my god.

You could rewrite this example for any situation. It's so true how it creates an irregular pace and can stall a scene. And it isn't like much more is required to initiate, someone setup the intent for you all you have to do resist the urge to also setup and initiate instead, everyone else after you can then build from there. It creates a better all round pace and a fluid scene.

I only play 1x1, mind you. Some of that may not apply to groups.

I enjoy planning and discussing plot development. Sometimes if the rp itself flops, you're still left satisfied because the planning stage was great, sort of you don't rp but you still rp because you already discussed everything?

I also like learning about other people's OCs. Always fun. People are different and their characters are different. Even when characters are of the same archetype they're still different when played by different people. And I like to witness character development process when we can throw ideas back and forth to build fun characters to play as.

I also like when I can indulge in mindless fluff or angst or whatever else plotline, and rp partner is okay with that because they want to play that too, so it's a win-win situation.
Oh and if playing canon characters, you can see that rp partner captured their character's personality so well that even if you do AU you can still feel it's THE character. And also when your rp partner tells you that your portrayal of the canon character is on point. The moments of happiness! ^^

What a wholesome thread!!

Probably one of the things I most enjoy is when I write a post with certain threads left there for my partner to build off of and they take them and run with it. There's just something so fulfilling about being in tune with a writing partner to the point that they can take what you give them and work it in the way you thought would be cool without telling them anything. And I'm not even talking about something specific to lead them on, it can be as simple as a noise in the corner of the room or a line of vague dialogue that could be interpreted a hundred different ways. Even when they take it a completely different direction from what you intended it's just as exciting. One of the reasons I don't really like planning a roleplay to death is because you get these really organic moments where the plot can take a crazy turn based off of a random shade of an idea you threw in there for your partner to play with if they wanted.

On the heels of that would be getting to see (through your partner's writing/characters) how they come to understand your own character and connect with them. It's like watching an actual relationship unfold coupled with inner dialogue about how they perceive your character. I just find it wonderful how you can intimately know the ins and outs of your own character and then through storytelling have someone else come to know them naturally too.

I like fanboying/girling about characters OOC. Doing the little aesthetic things, watching people develop playlists, etc. It just builds so much excitement even when the RP itself is slow. Also, I enjoy developing little headcanons or writing out small scenes that don’t truly matter or that won’t really get touched on in the scope of the RP (groups). It’s just a nice way to keep and develop muse.

I love getting to know my partner's characters when they're well-thought out! Just casual mentions of little details that don't seem like much, but they can make a character so relate-able and real. They become an actual person (or whatever they are!) rather than just someone you're reading and writing to.

Nice thread! Good counterpart to the vent threads. :)

What I like the most in RP, what I live for is character development. Discovering things about your character, having them gain depth and breadth as they interact with others and their story progresses. How events affect them, what relationships they make. But also development of the other players' characters too. Building the characters together and feeling out their inner selves. Discovering more about those other characters you play with. I love this so much. I also love it when the character's development teaches you things about yourself. Playing different characters can help you understand yourself better, and when you hit those revelations, it's amazing.

I love it when you play with someone and you can throw in curveballs to the plot, and receive other curveballs. Where players are truly constructing a story together, as equals, that is greater than the sum of the parts. Where things get deep and the unexpected happens. When plots progress over a long period of time.

I also love the chatting OOC about the characters and outlining future possibilities and future impossibilities.

These things are what I enjoy most about RP. <3

Character Development. Nothing like some actual detailed development to make a story good. Honestly starting off with little to no experience but gradually over the course of the story, and not twenty posts in, becoming better or being a better person or descending into madness.
I am also in favor of plot twists. I have only been wowed by three plot twists in my time of roleplaying. Plot twists for me are completely unexpected, do not involve specifically my character and yet can still amaze me all the same. I went 400 posts with a partner of mine where their character turned out to be the soul of someone completely different in the body of that character plus the bad guy our characters were looking for was the soul in the character's body so yeah I love plot twists, when they are done right.

I really enjoy coming across characters who come from less common or lesser cliché backgrounds. Rather than coming across the same old characters in zombie apocalypse / post apocalyptic survival themed stories; police officers, ex-military/spec ops grunts, mafia thugs and so on. I remember making a former veterinarian in one of the first RPs I took part in on this site and I had a absolute ball with him. Having transferable skills is the bread and butter of any roleplay but it doesn't always have to be a obvious relationship between what abilities your character has and what sort of role they furfill within the thread. Hell, your medieval wood-cutter would have the upper body strength to pull back the mightest of war-bows. The typical RPG 'dexterity' rogue wouldn't have the raw strength to use more powerful bows and therefore would have to use lesser equipment. Not every 'strong character' has to be a grunt, tank or front-line soldier. Seeing some characters who share the load of the team are amongst my favourites. Carrying extra ammunition for the team, keeping a throwing javelin handy for the team's skirmisher to use and always ready to back up the team no matter the odds.
I have a pet peeve for special ops/SWAT-type characters in those types of settings. In terms of military characters, a clerk at a national guard base is (unironically) probably more interesting than a Navy SEAL.

I have a pet peeve for special ops/SWAT-type characters in those types of settings. In terms of military characters, a clerk at a national guard base is (unironically) probably more interesting than a Navy SEAL.
Oh aye, supportive type characters are the absolute best. Someone with experience in micro-management and administration would be invaluable to setting up a new survivor town. I think it's the little details which provide the biggest foundations for any kind of story that are solely missed sometimes.

Oh aye, supportive type characters are the absolute best. Someone with experience in micro-management and administration would be invaluable to setting up a new survivor town. I think it's the little details which provide the biggest foundations for any kind of story that are solely missed sometimes.
Agreed. In the army there's supply techs, mechanics, all that stuff. One of the more interesting characters I've seen was a national guard chaplain.

+ Roleplayers who can incorporate comedic elements into otherwise serious story lines. They have the sense and intuition to tell what jokes and elements are meant to be there just for comedy and what elements are actually there for the serious progression of the story. Roleplayers that are able to create and play off of comedic situations in a way that builds off the humor in your post, without de-railing the story.

+ Someone who understands the importance pacing and progression. Someone who understands that slow quiet moments of characters talking amongst one another, having simple slice-of-life interactions and dramatic or touching scenes is just as important as the big action packed battles with magic and sci fi technology. (Sometimes the preperation and planning scenes as well as the healing/recovery/post battle scenes are quite fun slower paced scenes to do.) And someone who understands that the first battle in an RP should not necessarily be the biggest most grandiose battle. One should build to the larger spectacle conflicts in the story, just as they should build up the larger emotional themes of the story.

+ People who do art to accompany their RP. I am a very visual person and it helps me a lot to attribute names to faces when characters are actually drawn. And I always like seeing peoples art styles; its always fascinated me how everyone can have such a unique and distinctive style when it comes to designing and drawing their characters.

+Roleplays that change up the status quo and format on a regular basis, and have grounded and sensible reasons for doing so. Every encounter and scene should be connected, and characters should stay consistent for sure. For instance if your RP involves combat, each combat scene should have a different environment; special conditions and differing emotional stakes and objectives for the characters. If you end up having to repeat very similar scenes with the same characters doing the same things then the RP can begin to get stale very quickly. However; if you re-do a scene after characters or an element of the status quo has been changed, it can actually increase the interest in that scene as one can now demonstrate how things have changed.

+People who do long-form rp. People who can stick with it and are constantly active.

+ Roleplayers who can incorporate comedic elements into otherwise serious story lines. They have the sense and intuition to tell what jokes and elements are meant to be there just for comedy and what elements are actually there for the serious progression of the story. Roleplayers that are able to create and play off of comedic situations in a way that builds off the humor in your post, without de-railing the story.

+ Someone who understands the importance pacing and progression. Someone who understands that slow quiet moments of characters talking amongst one another, having simple slice-of-life interactions and dramatic or touching scenes is just as important as the big action packed battles with magic and sci fi technology. (Sometimes the preperation and planning scenes as well as the healing/recovery/post battle scenes are quite fun slower paced scenes to do.) And someone who understands that the first battle in an RP should not necessarily be the biggest most grandiose battle. One should build to the larger spectacle conflicts in the story, just as they should build up the larger emotional themes of the story.

+ People who do art to accompany their RP. I am a very visual person and it helps me a lot to attribute names to faces when characters are actually drawn. And I always like seeing peoples art styles; its always fascinated me how everyone can have such a unique and distinctive style when it comes to designing and drawing their characters.

+Roleplays that change up the status quo and format on a regular basis, and have grounded and sensible reasons for doing so. Every encounter and scene should be connected, and characters should stay consistent for sure. For instance if your RP involves combat, each combat scene should have a different environment; special conditions and differing emotional stakes and objectives for the characters. If you end up having to repeat very similar scenes with the same characters doing the same things then the RP can begin to get stale very quickly. However; if you re-do a scene after characters or an element of the status quo has been changed, it can actually increase the interest in that scene as one can now demonstrate how things have changed.

+People who do long-form rp. People who can stick with it and are constantly active.

All of these things! The first one I think is really underrated. I love some comedy in my RP (and generally life). Some of the most fun I've had in RP is where the characters trash talk each other, have misunderstandings, fail ridiculously, or snark. Or just taking time out of a serious plot to do a scene that is silly. They are also really great to read back and enjoy later. I find it pretty hard to deal with someone's character if they are totally and completely serious at all times, especially if they are also edgy.

Long-form RP is amazing! This is where everything comes into its own: the characters, the plots, the combined lore that has been built up. All the layers and depth. Yeah that's the good stuff! I played an RP that lasted for 8 years off an on, and another for three years, my current longest one is at two years. I'm also not averse to short and light RPs, but I live for the long ones.

This is going to make me sound like a sociopath, but I love when things go wrong, for a lack of a better phrase. (In the story, ofc)

Sometimes I think people are too nervous to have their characters screw up and complicate the plan for everyone, or have them get hurt, or just generally bring in something that throws the characters off their goal - I definitely used to, because I thought if I did something too ambitious it would mess up the other RPers and annoy them. So as a result, a lot of roleplays end up relatively conflict free, and end up being stories about people setting out to achieve something, and then just.. doing it.

So when someone throws out a twist that completely shakes things up, it keeps things interesting (and also sometimes makes the other players go YOOOOOOOO which is always good) and i love it.

(So long as it's not like, complete asspulls that don't make any sense)

I agree with Jade and Crayons! I love humor, appropriate humor for the scene. I think it adds another dimension to the characters, and who doesn't like being entertained by the roleplay? It really does make me grin at the computer ;; On that note, when I can laugh with the other player (I usually do 1x1) and we're both just keyboard smashing at each between replies because goddamn, they really did just do that.

I like building camaraderie between the other player, because at least in my area it's not a really common hobby. Character creation, the whole process of roleplaying and interacting with the community, I like hearing and sharing the experience. It's fun!

This might be a little weird, but I like how roleplay gives me a sense of control? ;;;
I joke around and say "I roleplay to cry," but I kind of do, it lets me experience emotions on my own terms. If it gets too much I can just step away for a moment, take a break, do something as the writer to turn the situation around and in real life it's not always that easy, and you deal with real people and it can feel much more helpless but again more real.
Very cathartic.

I love it when I start out with a basic idea, personality, etc. for a character and get a feel for how they would respond to different situations, but then something happens where they end up responding in a surprising or unexpected way instead! And similarly, I love it any time there's real character development where there's a noticeable change between who they were or how they thought and acted before compared to now as a result of new experiences.

1. I enjoy getting to know my partners. When people are engaged in the roleplay and are happy to chat OOC about various things related and unrelated to the roleplay.

2. World building. I love taking a basic premise (or fandom) and fleshing it out to feel as lived in as possible. I especially love with my partners help and I feel like it’s a real brainstorming session and not just me doing all the work.

3. When people come up with new and creative ideas for magic, superpowers, or magical creatures.

4. Platonic pairings. When people tell stories that aren’t romantic or epic adventures. Instead just taking a fun twist on say rival coworkers, BFFs, or sibling rivalries.

I actually really like that this thread exists! It’s good to acknowledge the positive aspects of role-playing. <3

I really like having a collaborative partner. For me the exchange of ideas is so important because I’ve done one too many where I seem to be contributing more than the other. Actually, I truly don’t mind it when my partner disagrees with me or challenges my idea within reason and merit. I approach it with the attitude of learning something new.

I love building history, setting, and lores, when applicable, because it just provides me with more ideas and enriches the story we share as a whole. I don’t mind jumping into RP after plotting the main storyline, but having built a world around the characters is cool too!

I also love reading detailed character sheets! Like many of you stated, I’d love to see my character grow and progress alongside yours. I do fawn over them OOC and build playlists and collect picture references and track their progress. I spend a lot of time trying to build characters that have a variety of different personality traits, strengths, and flaws. And I love seeing my partners mirror that back.

I agree that I prefer reading long responses to shorter ones because I really get a feel for what the other character is thinking, seeing, and feeling. Doesn’t it just make the story that much more immersive?

I also appreciate people who can move the scene forward and not simply react to what I’ve written. Whether it’s new dialogue, new location, or new action being taken, all those things are better than not having something that I could react to as well.

When all the foundations are laid and the elements of storytelling and writing come together, I find that I can really enjoy the RP regardless of genre and/or tone.

BUT most of all, I really adore having partners who can chat OOC and share their other interests outside the RP. I don’t mind small talk and asking about people’s day as I do care about the people behind the screen. Based on experience, the longest RPs I’ve had is where I’ve created friendships with the writers. I’m just that much more motivated when we talk. That isn’t to say that I require OOC talk to RP with someone, for me, it just makes me feel comfortable when we do communicate regularly! :D

I have a lot of things I love in a quality RP:

- First and foremost, I'm a sucker for character development. I love more than anything meeting a character in the beginning of the RP and seeing them slowly develop over time into a different personality, like opening up more, or even watching as they slowly overcome a personal struggle IC. It's such a great thing to experience IRL and I love reading about it in books. So reading about it in a RP I'm in makes it all the more enjoyable.

- I love details in the world of the RP. I will read every single thing you write in the lore for your RP and probably will pester you in a PM for even more details. I love exploring the world once the RP starts and setting the scene is a big deal to me.

- Genuine characters. Like, ignoring stereotypes and making a really in-depth character who you feel like you could meet them IRL and think, "Wow, this person is so unique and cool." I mean, if your character is going to start off angry with the world, then I want to see them slowly calm down over time and then find their true self. I want the authenticity of life in the characters, not just one second we're acquaintances and then the next second we're making out. No thank you.

- I kinda already mentioned it above, but relationship building. I love watching this unfold slowly and over time. I hate characters instantly falling in love after one exchange. It rarely works that way IRL, if ever, and I love the realistic aspect of people being awkward at first or clicking as great friends before they ever become something more.

- An engaged OOC. I saw it mentioned by someone else and I totally agree with them. I love getting to know the RPers behind each character and making long-lasting online friendships through the RP. It makes writing with everyone so much more fun and engaging.

I'm sure I could think of more by reading responses already on here, but that's what I could think of in the moment. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back