Experiences what are the worst charatures/players you seen?

Big Brother Jack Big Brother Jack I find basing your characters on real people helps with this. It gives you practice writing personalities and backstories that are grounded and consistent. Now obvious depending on the storyline the backstories will need to be altered but usually not so much the personality changes.

I know a lot of people are paranoid about “self inserts” but that is specifically a problem when people over identify with characters not necessarily when they play versions of themselves in roleplay. As long as you are okay with people interacting with your character in a negative manner it doesn’t matter how they are written.

I also find if you wanna get outside of your own little bubble and write more diverse characters that thinking about why helps. Why am I making character XYZ? What does that change about their experience or interaction with the plot?

I will tell you that every "self-insert" I've made isn't even a self-insert. Like, a while back I made a lot of "Grumpy snarky antisocial guys" (Only one of which, a Butt Monkey/Cosmic Plaything by the name of Adrian Thane, has survived to this day) who I thought were self-inserts but really are nothing like me past or present. At the very least they weren't overpowered and I did get some use out of them.

One reason why I don't make characters is because they are sooooooo bad. I don't know what it is about making characters in a role play but I always make the lamest OCs and I feel like I put effort into it but I didn't. One oc was just a girl with a gun, another was a guy who was a huge ripoff of Cole McGrath from infamous and my hunger games oc was like every male stereotype ever but the worst was my RE oc Heather Mason...oh god I hate myself so much for giving life to her, she was a Raccoon city Police officer who was so much like Leon it actually hurt the soul, she had a relationship with an actual good character and they had a family living in texas, I will say playing her was super fun even though she was not a good character.

The worst player I've seen is this girl who makes a shit ton of ocs (mostly MHA) and she would always use them and they were the worst characters I ever seen, no rhyme or reason like oh so and so fell out of the portal in New York, it was a Marvel forum and any crossover was allowed. She would not write enough and would give no backstory for her characters so I hated any rp with her because she would just have random people with quirks who show up and fight people.
Hey, I just wanted to say that characters don't need to be super deep or interesting in order to be "good". I bet your creations are better than what you give them credit for. Obviously the person who played the "good" character liked yours enough to have them in a relationship with her long enough for them to have a family. That doesn't happen if someone doesn't like their partner's character. Just sayin'!

It low-key annoys me if a character looks NOTHING like their pareants, especially if the ethnicity is out. I'm sorry, but if both your parents are white and you're as black as someone from the heartlands of africa, you might've been adopted.
aaaa, i did this once accidentally. i had a son of two white characters and their son was vaguely hispanic, for some reason? i think it was because i was subconsciously relating him to a latino character he reminded me of, but still ( p_q)

The worst character I've seen was this one who was somehow simultaneously a Mary Sue who was also filled with the victim mentality like somehow everything always goes right for this character while at the same time every single tragic thing you can imagine somehow befalls them.

Worst player? This guy who would constantly trick people into doing roleplays that they didn't want to do and then guilt trip you into staying despite not having any fun.

The worst type of players, huh? That's a real collection there. Let me see. There are several coming in first place but the for the sake of time some very out of pocket chick. It was a group roleplay. She clearly did not know that a character and player are ultimately different so everything that happened to her character in the story she took offense to outside of said story. Every other day she had an issue with something in the roleplay whether characters were being mean to hers or her flawless character wasn't liked. She went off on these ridiculous tangents threatening to quit then blame it on in real life stuff. The negativity got so bad, she was banned.

Terrible character. I am not sure what he was but this op Dragon Ball Z type of character could block any kind of attack sent his way. Not only that, his player called hits and used this character for every roleplay he was in. He could attack other characters, disappear into a void, and reappear to attack again.

so, worst players? ah, i hate this one player from a different site. she appears nice but always gave me bad vibes. but she has a lot of friends so, idk, could be just me.

so, first off, she just gives off incredibly racist energy? if that makes any sense. she's not explicitly racist, but she always says/does things that put her right at the edge. during one rp, she was talking about making a japanese character, and while throwing out a few faceclaims, she included chinese and korean faceclaims as well. when the gm, who is asian, mentioned this, instead of apologizing and finding other faceclaims like a normal person, she goes, "oh, well all asian people look the same to me anyways." which... why? once she finally did make the japanese character, she gave her a very bad japanese accent (she literally typed out the accent. whyyyy) which none of her other characters had, foreign or otherwise. she also kinda fetishizes japanese people- if a character of hers isn't emo/goth, it's almost always japanese. i get having a character 'type' you like to play, but at this point it's just super offputting.

another thing, she's super into serial killer/murder mysteries. which is totally fine, i like watching i.d. and such myself, but she's obsessed with it to a point where it's just creepy. she also writes a lot of super gory 'creepypastas' which, as a legal adult, i feel like is just kinda... idk. this is just a personal thing, but it just gives me bad vibes. she also claims to have a lot of mental disorders, but she talks about them constantly. like, a thread won't even be related in the slightest to mental disorders and she just has to make it about herself. arghhh.

okay, last thing, i promise. on her profile, she literally says that she's probably a psychopath, but won't go to therapy (her words, not mine). this is bad enough on it's own, but what makes it worse is that... she's literally forum staff. i get if you don't want to go to therapy, but god, do not make a mentally unstable person have power over other users. i have so many other issues with the way this forum is run, but this is not the thread for that. sorry for the long rant ʕT//ᴥ//T ʔ

"oh, well all asian people look the same to me anyways." which... why? once she finally did make the japanese character, she gave her a very bad japanese accent (she literally typed out the accent.
Prime example of ignorance right there and clearly someone who is too lazy or can't be bothered to do some research on different races/ethnicities.

so, worst players? ah, i hate this one player from a different site. she appears nice but always gave me bad vibes. but she has a lot of friends so, idk, could be just me.

so, first off, she just gives off incredibly racist energy? if that makes any sense. she's not explicitly racist, but she always says/does things that put her right at the edge. during one rp, she was talking about making a japanese character, and while throwing out a few faceclaims, she included chinese and korean faceclaims as well. when the gm, who is asian, mentioned this, instead of apologizing and finding other faceclaims like a normal person, she goes, "oh, well all asian people look the same to me anyways." which... why? once she finally did make the japanese character, she gave her a very bad japanese accent (she literally typed out the accent. whyyyy) which none of her other characters had, foreign or otherwise. she also kinda fetishizes japanese people- if a character of hers isn't emo/goth, it's almost always japanese. i get having a character 'type' you like to play, but at this point it's just super offputting.

another thing, she's super into serial killer/murder mysteries. which is totally fine, i like watching i.d. and such myself, but she's obsessed with it to a point where it's just creepy. she also writes a lot of super gory 'creepypastas' which, as a legal adult, i feel like is just kinda... idk. this is just a personal thing, but it just gives me bad vibes. she also claims to have a lot of mental disorders, but she talks about them constantly. like, a thread won't even be related in the slightest to mental disorders and she just has to make it about herself. arghhh.

okay, last thing, i promise. on her profile, she literally says that she's probably a psychopath, but won't go to therapy (her words, not mine). this is bad enough on it's own, but what makes it worse is that... she's literally forum staff. i get if you don't want to go to therapy, but god, do not make a mentally unstable person have power over other users. i have so many other issues with the way this forum is run, but this is not the thread for that. sorry for the long rant ʕT//ᴥ//T ʔ
Speaking as a white person, I can usually tell the difference between different East Asian ethnic groups. Then again, I have a personal interest in those cultures so have researched them quite a bit. Because of that when I see them I can often tell which ethnicity they are. This is only further confirmed when I hear them speak in their native languages. Japanese, Korean, and Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese) all sound very different from each other.

I've had some doozies.

Off the top of my head, the one that still frustrates me to this day was this one ultra nerdy guy who joined a one-shot adventure I ran on Roll20. I make it very clear to my players before we even start the first scene in those games that we will use a 'talking stick' type of system, where if a player has the talking stick everyone else must be quiet. This particular problem player just did not comprehend, and after warning him not to talk over other players a couple times, I had to take him into a private room and expel him from the game. He did not take it well.

I once played in a Pokémon group rp that I made. And in that rp, one player wanted to play as a 1000 year old prophet who had an Arceus he could summon whenever he wanted and could also shoot blasts of holy energy and was basically invincible.

I once played in a Pokémon group rp that I made. And in that rp, one player wanted to play as a 1000 year old prophet who had an Arceus he could summon whenever he wanted and could also shoot blasts of holy energy and was basically invincible.
Okay, can we talk about how this is a real neat idea, but should have been opted to be an NPC or major side character??? Like, cool!! But op in the main group of characters. It has AZ vibes, and AZ is my favorite character in pokemon. Given, that means the role player would only show up on occasion probably as a mysterious figure, who the characters grow to find out who he is. But if that said roleplayer couldn't participate as often as everyone else, it could work in their favor.

My personal experience that combined both the Things here was a fellow, in a romanticish rp, his character..
was blatantly OP since his ability was to absorb souls of stuff he’d killed as transform into them as use there abilities, and his backstory had him hunting monsters for years despite being only 18.. so Essentially he could pull any power set he needed for a fight, but since the rp wasn’t combat focuses the DM let it slide, where it becomes an issues is the player.

my character was a sweet little shy boy, who’s adoptive dad happend to previously run the setting hell before retiring, you see the other guys character wanted to become the king of hell and make hell “good” despite the fact he was contradicting all the lore about the place.. but we IC chulked it up to him being delusional. Anyway due to this he kinda singled out my character as his MC anime rival.. since he had a serious issue with believing he was the MC to the point where in the OOC chat hed refer to my character as his character rival and did try to fight him IC.... and then got annoyed/confused when the shy character didn’t want to fight his MC protagonist, and he’d often just write fanfic style stuff in the OOC chat where he’d have his characte being all superior to mine or makinf them fight… the irony was my character was a cast favourite and his wasn’t really.. he even made a second character that existed soley to “hype” his MC… and suddenly he also had a dragon god grandad?

even once that rp ended he held a serious grudge for me joining other rps and making character that where opposite to mine to try and get rivalries to happen… or in one case going behind the DM’s back to make a villain character who’s sole purpose was to buff his MC good guy enough to bear the BBEG. Oh and the loli unicorn motor bike thing…

Woah, wait, you can't just leave us hanging like that! Tell us about the loli unicorn motor bike thing!

Rightio. This is a selerate rp to the one we first met in and Well to Summerise this was a fantasy setting and he wanted a motorbike… becuse karman rider? Anyway the story was that some dwaves kidnapped a unicorn child soul.. tourtoured it and shoved it into a motorbIke.. then hero man saved them… apparently the bike could turn into a 9 year old looking unicorn girl… and then into a bike he could ride Around on….

least it’s better then making a loli Android that litterally only a week old..

edit: no actually no Becuse the MC char was like 18 riding around on a child unicorn..

… apparently the bike could turn into a 9 year old looking unicorn girl… and then into a bike he could ride Around on….

least it’s better then making a loli Android that litterally only a week old..

edit: no actually no Becuse the MC char was like 18 riding around on a child unicorn..
Anyone got the brain bleach. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back