Experiences what are the worst charatures/players you seen?

Huntertabbysandshark3

The lord of randomness and the warp
hey so I was wondering what experience other people have had with these two things to clarify

the"worst characters": i mean that CS's that are just horrible/cringy or op. or similar stuff with IC interactions

and players, i mean the actual actions of the person behind the character and how they acted if or when they where called out heck the player thing can include bad DM's you have delt with.

Worst character I've seen is probably the one who was responsible for the Nanking massacre.

Worst player I've seen is definitely the guy who kept disappearing of the face of the earth for like three-four weeks at a time. And then when she finally made a post, she would instantly go into the fucking OOC thread and try to guilttrip everyone into posting and once someone replied to her she'd disappear for another three-four weeks and repeat the whole nonsense again.

Last edited:
Hmm this is kind of a mean thread. It might be better to keep bitching to generalities rather than specifically calling individuals out.

Hmm this is kind of a mean thread. It might be better to keep bitching to generalities rather than specifically calling individuals out.
i never said you had to say who it was or anything but i assume some people would like to vent and im just curious about, what peoples experiences

i never said you had to say who it was or anything but i assume some people would like to vent and im just curious about, what peoples experiences

It's not like people can't tell who's being talked about if they made a character who is a blue vampire dog who studies philosophy and someone says "this blue vampire dog who studied philosophy was awful and the player was a git"

It's not like people can't tell who's being talked about if they made a character who is a blue vampire dog who studies philosophy and someone says "this blue vampire dog who studied philosophy was awful and the player was a git"
I mean fair, but it’s still a interesting topic non the less

How about the worst character you've ever made personally? We all have them, don't pretend. :P

Werewolf athlete jock - super handsome, smart, classy. Shiny. Absolute cockwomble.

In my defense, I was also 13 and the high school mutant genre was still going strong...at night I have flash backs to cringe instant love scenes and awkward flirting one liner posts. They were dark days, guys. Dark days.

Also too Crayons Crayons no one said it had to be a character from this site. Plus a lot of worst characters are the ones that have generic problems

I.e. The worst character I ever saw was the one-note female love interest whose entire personality was a rom-com checklist of stereotypes.

There are so many individual characters I have met that fit that description it’s unreal. And I can guarantee you not a one of the players who made them would recognize that description either.

Now personally the worst character I ever saw (beyond the above mentioned rom-com checklist girls) is the Superman knock off whose weakness was “villains of comparable strength”.

Like bitch I ain’t making Superman 2.0 in order to fight this OP nonsense. (This incidentally was years ago on another site so ya know if the person is still roleplaying and remembers the character. I mean sorry not sorry that was a stupid weakness)

I don't remember about the 'worst', but I don't like it when someone describe their character by comparing them to canon characters. Something like "he looks like deku but has red and white hair like Todoroki and has temperament like Bakugou."

On another site there was this super hero project and someone submitted a sheet that consisted of two parts. A brief summary of what the character was and a brief summary of his super powers.

The character was *discretely clears throat* "pure willpower made flesh". I'm not kidding here. His entire existence was spawned by a willpower of unknown origin. I think he alluded to it being the collective pain of humanity willing him into existence. It was so cringey that the writer part of me may have committed suicide that day.

His powers included being able to bring gangs of violent thugs and criminals to their knees with his mere presence, captivated and spellbound by his benevolent, paternal energy. He could also use his willpower and the willpower of others to subtly reshape and tweak reality - or something like that. I honestly don't remember his other abilities. By this time I was overdosing on a potent mixture of male ego and uncut cringe.

I don't remember about the 'worst', but I don't like it when someone describe their character by comparing them to canon characters. Something like "he looks like deku but has red and white hair like Todoroki and has temperament like Bakugou."
What about if they're related, as sometimes children will look more like one parent than the other (I look more like my dad).

Nah, it's fine if they looks like their parents.
It low-key annoys me if a character looks NOTHING like their parents, especially if the ethnicity is out. I'm sorry, but if both your parents are white and you're as black as someone from the heartlands of africa, you might've been adopted.

Given the title of this thread, I'm not gonna be referencing any players or RPs by name.

Character: I was GMing this particular installment of a fantasy RP. It was part of a series of RP that the group holds very dear. This RP was the typical high fantasy RP. Gods, Magic, Elves, Bow/Blade. We all know it. We all love it. This character, which was rejected, was supposed to be a Reaver from another dimension. They were apparently a "Transphastic human"

The name was "Black Shadow" which was exactly the type of edgy nonsense I expect from a character this trollishly OP.........but apparently they were 100% serious about it

Description of species: To put it into perspective a kryptonian is a caveman in comparison. Transphasic Humans are a perfect fusion of ancient magic and science fantasy technology. They have the ability to live without oxygen or any form of gas. They can jump to the moon on foot. And on top of that Transphasic Humans can literally phase through anything. They were created in the year 9089 by humanity.

This is only the SPECIES. This is as description of the SPECIES of the character. This means that every person of this species can do the these same things. Before we even get into their magic or abilities, it's already massively OP and FAR out of genre.

I'm pretty damn lenient in my fantasy RPs when it comes to magic, species, and creatures, but this is ridiculous.

Player: One of my first RPs I ever joined had this player who read only what they wanted to read and nothing else. The biggest red flag was that everything said to his character or thought from characters in the RP about his character was taken personally and arguments started in the OOC. This player had his character break into my character's house and I specified that in the room he was in, there was no window to escape from. Literally in the next post, he said his character jumped out the window. When I brought it up in the OOC that there were no windows in the room he was in, AS ANNOTATED IN THE POST, he got mad and edited his post to say that his character just dropped dead from the hand of god, a not so subtle dig at me because he believed that I was godmodding.

This behavior wasn't really put in check, yet my character's magic, the ability to requip the equipment he had with him (think Skyrim and how you can change armor from a menu. From the perspective of the enemy, it looks like an instant change of weapon or armor. That's essentially what it was) was too OP, despite my character being an old man and unable to use really any weapon heavier than a standard Arming Sword or Bastard Sword, couldn't use any armor heavier than leather, was fragile, and needed to use stat-enhancing potions to get himself to a strength level usable in battle. Despite these weaknesses, that was put in check for being "too OP" yet this dude's insane passive aggression and taking words said by character in the IC goes unchecked

So I quit. My character said they were done with these issues, got on his horse, and exited the area. That was that RP's last post as it died as soon as my character left.

i'm going to go with the worst player i've seen. i can post this here in full confidence seeing as how no one from my d&d groups would set foot on a writing site, haha.

so, as mentioned above, i play d&d with my friends. well, for one of the campaigns, our dm brought in someone new. okay, cool, no big deal.

how wrong i was.

this player was not only rude to my character, he was also rude to me. i have a feeling it's because my character didn't like his and he didn't know how to separate player interactions and character interactions. just to give a hint of how bad it was, this was our first in character interaction (let's say his character's name was kay and mine was lludw):

kay: hey, name's kay and i want to help out!

lludw: nice to meet you all, the name is lludw.

it's a perfectly normal fantasy name, or so i thought. the player then proceeds to say that it was too hard to pronounce and that he was just going to call her 'L'. it rubbed me the wrong way and, as i had discussed with our dm, it was perfectly in character for lludw to not respond to him if he didn't say her full name.

because of this, though, he took it as a sign that i, myfanwy, didn't like him. ever since then he would proceed to talk over me, yell at my AoE (area of effect) spells that he didn't pay attention to, ignore any of my character interactions then proceed to try and do the same thing ("oh i wanted to do it before her"). one time he grabbed a bag of chips away from me, shove his sweaty hand into it, and then keep it next to him the entire time. don't worry though- he offered some to the other guys at the table.

however, the thing that really bugged me is the fact that he would talk over our dm. it got to the point where one of the nicer guys snapped at him to listen instead of talking to someone else.

when one of my other friends joined in, her character was pleasant to everyone so of course, his character was nice to her. however her player really did not like him as a player. when i went to her house so we could hang out while playing, we had to mute a couple of times just to vent (or we shared looks over our laptops). it sounds bitchy, but i'll put some interactions in spoilers so that you can get a full grasp of what we were dealing with.

he would also regularly meta-game: he would roll before being asked to "oh i got a nat 20, can i use that?", would somehow know in character what was shared out of character (my character having a tail which she kept covered at all times/our barbarian being an unknown race that his knew all about), etc.

thankfully, the time came for his player to meet his untimely end as he ignored everyone in the group and did something he wasn't supposed to. spoiler alert: he died. my friend did try to heal him, though her character was too far away to reach him in time. it's was truly tragic.

he decided to not make another character- thank the gods- and we continued on. the sessions were really fun after that, if i'm being honest. the reason i didn't leave was because the dm is my best friend and the group (other than the mentioned player) are also my friends, so i didn't want to leave because of one person.

instead i ranted to my friend and like the mvp he is he listened.

anywho... onto the really strong impressions:

scene: the boss is chanting in a language we can't understand, reading from a big bad book, and has a human sacrifice with us chained to a wall. we get free thanks to our barbarian breaking the chains and have to act fast. my turn comes up and i cast 'fog cloud' to obscure his vision from us (though we can't see him).

kay: WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? NOW WE CAN'T SEE HIM!

dm: the big bad lets out a yell and shoots a bolt in your direction, but because he couldn't see you guys, he hits the wall above you. the chanting and ritual has stopped for the time being.

me: that's why. he can't see us and he can't read whatever bad thing he's planning.

kay: YEAH BUT NOW WE CAN'T SEE HIM!

the big bad then dispelled the fog cloud and killed his sacrifice due to the rest of my party not distracting him or trying to free the guy. it was really fun.

i think this was a follow up to killing the big bad above, but we had to escape the dungeon and get passed a minotaur. our party was too low of a level to fight it head on, so we had to think creatively. while he was arguing with the other players, i was speaking to our dm.

me: can i use speak to animals to try and calm him?

dm: you try, but the horrors he had been put through make it impossible for your words to go through.

me: ...alright, can i cast cure wounds to show him we mean no harm?

dm: i'm telling you so you don't waste a spell slot- it's not going to work and your character could infer that.

we end up escaping thanks to our barbarian baiting him into the cage and getting out of the way at the last second. the player- kay- had been advocating on us fighting the minotaur and wasted a lot of our time by arguing with the other two on whether or not the party should kill it. after getting out, we all breathed a sigh of relief. it was sadly, short lived.

kay: man, she was useless! she didn't even try to do anything!

me: at least i didn't go down in one hit.

our dm stepped in and diffused the situation by stating the guy kept pressing to kill it while i tried an actual solution while they were arguing. our wizard also called him out, saying it was uncalled for to do that. however, he had persisted and kept making comments about how my character "never does anything useful".

fun times. fun times.

kay: hey 'L'.

lludw: *ignores him*

kay: 'L'!

lludw: *proceeds to continue to ignore him*

kay: *the biggest sigh* hey lludw

lludw: what do you need?

xx

kay: hey 'L'

lludw: what, snake? (he played a yuan-ti and described him as snake-like)

kay: my name is "kay"

lludw: and my name is "lludw", not 'L'.

she would also regularly call him an incorrect name as well, making it obvious that if he made an effort to call her correct name she would call him the correct one as well.

truly the best session, hands down. and that's me being rude and admitting to it.

we were in a "haunted" light house that sailors had been disappearing into. when the party entered we saw a corpse hanging from a noose and it was in an unreachable spot. i had long since muted my mic as he kept talking over everyone and i wasn't in the mood to try and speak only for it to fail. so, any observations/interactions my character had was done by typing.

his character decided to wild shape and get up to the hanging body despite the other characters telling him not to do that. my character noticed the storm outside was getting magically worse and that things inside the lighthouse were reacting to it.

of course, it was ignored because he had to get to the body!

so she stayed back, if he didn't need help she wasn't going to put herself into any unnecessary danger because of it.

to make a long story short, he stated that he was going to transform into a flying squirrel to land on the body. after the dm started to work out the logistics of what was going to happen and how he was going to get there, kay proclaimed "CAN EVERYONE SHUT UP AND LET ME SPEAK?" as if he hadn't spent the last hour speaking over everyone and running the show.

i think it was due to that outburst that our dm said "eff it", the hanged creature came to life and dropped down from the ceiling- the combined fall damage and the creature creating a noose around his neck with the rope killed off kay's character- and our party had to fight a creature we could've avoided the entire time.

again, thankfully, he didn't create another character and i could unmute myself.

even though i highly doubt the person is on the site- just in case- i'll say this: just because my character didn't like yours because of the way yours treated her, i grew to dislike you due to the way you treated me and your obvious disrespect of everyone else in the group.

and thus ends the tale of the worst player i've ever come across.

Here's a second hand experience a friend had:

So he has this really cringely friend. And he's just... the worst. But also hilarious.

So on one roleplay he mispelled a whole bunch of stuff on his CS so it said his character came from a "futuristic". Also in that same roleplay there was a heartwarming moment going on between the characters. One character was gonna make another breakfast to comfort him because he had a traumatic time recently and the aformentioned bad roleplayer ruined it by decid8ng that there was a "food materializer" on the room. When people complained instead of deleting his post he instead had his character say that he thought it was a food materializer but was actually a coffee machine.

A more horrifying thing is when in another rp he stabbed my friend's character to prove that that character wasn't immortal because that's just what you do apparently (to be clear, the aformentioned character was immortal not invulnerable). In the same roleplay he introduced a character who was a baby but also a dog but also a baby that was the most perverted thing ever and constantly stared at the "female" (say that in a very nasally voice). And thus, my friend and his friends never let him have full story control ever again.

Here's a second hand experience a friend had:

So he has this really cringely friend. And he's just... the worst. But also hilarious.

So on one roleplay he mispelled a whole bunch of stuff on his CS so it said his character came from a "futuristic". Also in that same roleplay there was a heartwarming moment going on between the characters. One character was gonna make another breakfast to comfort him because he had a traumatic time recently and the aformentioned bad roleplayer ruined it by decid8ng that there was a "food materializer" on the room. When people complained instead of deleting his post he instead had his character say that he thought it was a food materializer but was actually a coffee machine.

A more horrifying thing is when in another rp he stabbed my friend's character to prove that that character wasn't immortal because that's just what you do apparently (to be clear, the aformentioned character was immortal not invulnerable). In the same roleplay he introduced a character who was a baby but also a dog but also a baby that was the most perverted thing ever and constantly stared at the "female" (say that in a very nasally voice). And thus, my friend and his friends never let him have full story control ever again.
Hmm wow

Worst character is a coin toss between one that was completely inappropriate, and one that was almost intentionally badly designed.

Inappropriate character was for a game where the characters were explicitly warrior priests from - actually, it's easier if you see the interest check for the reboot.
So someone made a half-elf ranger princess with a spirit-tiger animal companion. In a setting which very definitely has no elves in the D&D sense (they're the scary fuckers from old Irish folklore).

Intentionally badly designed was in the same setting in an IRL game. The bastard son of the King with silver hair, one purple eye, and magical powers (making him a big fat target for the Inquisition). There was more but this was nearly ten years ago.

The worst player was, hands down, this dude who used to lie about his dicerolls, play lolevil characters at all times, try to kill, seduce, or command other player characters, and worst of all he'd sexually harass any women who joined the group. I credit most of my GMing skills to learning to deal with him.

OH man, I saw this thread and boy have I run into my fair share of terrible players. I can think of three off the top of my head, but I assure you, there are so many more.

First one, my ex and I used to go to a place that ran D&D oneshots. Although this situation was a campaign we had started. Two people ended up joining in a little later (we weren't too far in yet) and one of their characters let me tell you. I don't remember anything else about the player's character except that he insisted on being madly in love with another character's owlbear character. It was horrifically awkward since neither the character nor the player was into his constant attempts at advancing on them. And everyone else at the table was feeling super awkward about it as well, this guy was just totally oblivious. I don't think we went back to that campaign again.

Another situation that happened several years ago now. I had been rping with the same person for a bit over several different plots. This person insisted on always being a vampire. Always. No matter the situation. And they constantly tried to control my character. You know 'your character notices something about my character' or some variation of that. Eventually, it got to the point where I was tired of it and I tried to confront them only for the person to try and guilt trip me. Of course, it was entirely possible for the person to have been going through some bad times, but it was really uncalled for. I don't remember how the conversation ended, but we didn't rp again after that.

And the last one. Oh boy, it's almost a laugh. While the person was likely a great rper, much like the last person above they were always the same character. Except this time it was a German soldier that basically lived inside of a tank. I had several experiences with this person mostly in fantasy settings where that sort of technology wouldn't have been allowed. They tried to cheat their way through the rules by calling the tank a 'metal beast'. It usually worked. However, the guy always tried to take over whatever place the rp was set in and would kill anyone who tried to stop him. There were sometimes friends of his too that would join in the action, it was such a bizarre thing to witness.

I remember one time the guy was trying to take over a town by firing on the castle and a lot of the other people there were trying to stop it to no avail. The guy simply ignored a lot of what anyone was doing. My character (who is notably probably a bit op) ended up using her powers to crush the tank with him inside. He ignored that of course but ended up vanishing soon after that, so yay for us! I haven't seen or heard of him since then, but he's probably still out there...lol

Was a part of an RP that just wasn't going anywhere because the creator wouldn't give us any direction. She kept saying it was going to be a surprise, but it never made it past the first part. We were posting the ENTIRE time, this was pages and pages of basically the same things. We all explained this to her, kindly mind you and left the roleplay. Always explain to the creator why you are leaving, that way if they want to make an RP in the future, they'll know what kinks they need to iron out. It doesn't mean you've got to stay, but don't leave for no reason and expect the person who created the rp to just figure out what went wrong.

I'll do my best to be vague. Well there was this one Pirate RP I was in that I wish lasted longer. At this point in the story there are probably 7-9 characters. Most are badass in their own way and these are like actual hardened criminals. LOL, not your good ol boys from like one piece. Now that you have the premise, a guy signed up and joined later. I think we wrote it in that we fished him up after he wiped out some NPC's or something...no matter. Well his character was actually pretty interesting...before he started playing him. Mind you, he is supposed to join the crew. Now he starts talking shit to the first mate, talking shit to me, talking shit about the captain and at this point, I'm not mad. I like a diverse cast. I just respond IC how my character would respond. SO does everyone else. He makes no head way and at this point we're now treating him like a NPC villain and less like an eventual comrade. Like what you expect? So after several IC warnings for him to watch his tongue, (based on our CS he should have been executed a while back) he mouths off again and is basically like I don't care what yall say. Fight me tho. Like what? You're currently our prisoner. You're literally about to die. I understand not everyone has to get along on the crew and your character is supposed to be a badass, but you're forcing our hand. That's not all...remember how I said everyone is effing strong? He also requests that if we do punish him, he wants to fight EVERYONE on the crew at once. Like hold up...everyone is supposed to just stop their character arc/plans....to deal with you? Like what kind of Main character syndrome are you on right now? Plus you know anyone saying that is about to be metagaming and breaking character like nobody's business during the fight. Dude...WE WILL LITERALLY KILL YOU. LIKE STOP NOW! I believe our gm had to warn him OOC that he was on his way to getting offed then he calmed down a little. Would have been nice to see how his character would behave after that but the RP ended shortly afterward. Again I loved the construction of the character, I just think it was handled a bit poorly in the beginning. You just cant forget that the RP does not revolve around you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back