Experiences what are the worst charatures/players you seen?

The reminds me of a group from waaaay back in my Gaia days. The GM seemed pretty nice at first (and to be fair was always perfectly nice whenever you chatted with her OOC) but when it came to running the group it was a hundred percent about her character and their love interest.

And it was just kinda awkward for everyone else as we’re all “like it’s nice that you two are vibing but we kinda would like the plot to get started now.”
I would have asked why they didn't just do a 1x1 if they only wanted to concentrate on that one relationship lol

The reminds me of a group from waaaay back in my Gaia days. The GM seemed pretty nice at first (and to be fair was always perfectly nice whenever you chatted with her OOC) but when it came to running the group it was a hundred percent about her character and their love interest.

And it was just kinda awkward for everyone else as we’re all “like it’s nice that you two are vibing but we kinda would like the plot to get started now.”
They should have just done a 1x1 instead of dragging others into their nonsense lol.

I mean I think the rest of us just kinda hijacked the plot from the GM since it wasn’t like they were trying to control other peoples characters or anything. Just kinda lost in their own world (which yeah a little rude but not the worst thing you can do as a GM)

Finally I remembered an example that fits here, a really bad one too. Fair warning in advance as this may be disturbing for some.

Long story short, there was this character that someone was writing who was predatory towards children. The character was an adult, a teacher, and was clearly making advances on his students. I'm the "no holds barred, anything goes as long as all players agree" type of RPer and have written some very disturbing and dark content myself, but even I was taken aback by this character. Not even I will touch pedo stuff in my writing typically so yikes. Oh, and said player was later banned from the site for being an overall creep and giving off pedo vibes himself while out of character.

Ooh reminds me of a person who got a little too invested in defending teachers getting into romantic/sexual relationships with their students. (Granted it was after the student had graduated but still yikes on bikes).

Like it felt very much like they were either dating a former student or their former teacher and getting way too offended when people rightfully were like “oh that’s some pedo nonsense.” Doesn’t matter if the person was “technically legal” when the sexy bits started, they still met when one person was a minor child under the other persons care.

That was a quick block let me tell you, still gives me the creeps to think about.

Had a friend back in the day I used to rp with, and looking back on it they were kind of fetishistic about mlm relationships and could sometimes be weird about female characters. They told me they hated most female characters in media, and they almost exclusively played as male characters (it's fine to have preferences like that but the vitriol was off-putting). They were also always trying to force our male characters together.

One notable example was with two of our characters who were best friends. My character was very adamantly aroace, and he had 0 romantic interest in their character or anyone else for that matter. They would throw fits in the ic and ooc when my character wouldn't reciprocate their character's advances, but even if my character wasn't aroace, I didn't think these two had any romantic chemistry anyway. We ended up expanding the universe of this specific rp and making more characters for it. I had a female character who ended up having a lot of fun chemistry with their aforementioned male character, and the two of them ended up getting together. And honestly, their interactions and dynamic were some of my favorite out of all our characters over the years. But then kind of out of nowhere, their character broke it off with my female character because he still wanted to get with my aroace character. Who *still* didn't have any feelings for him. And then they and their character threw a fit when my character *once again* expressed this.

Another example was in a different rp. One of their extremely few female characters was in this one, and she ended up dating and getting engaged to one of my male characters. But they also had a male character who was friends with my character, and the two of them had always had a bit of a flirty dynamic. Despite my character now being devoted to his fiancee, my friend still wanted him to get with this guy. They even tried to justify this in the ic by having their female character give my character permission to fool around with him because she "couldn't fulfill all his needs"???

I have another friend who also used to rp with this person and they had similar issues. Again, two male characters who were friends. My friend's character had a girlfriend, and our ex friend didn't like this and was jealous for their character. Cue them killing off my friend's character's girlfriend, and then getting upset at my friend when their character was mourning and didn't want to immediately get with their guy character. My friend was pissed and straight up told them their characters wouldn't get together because of this.

Meanwhile, they were also always very weird about wlw relationships and were "too uncomfortable" to ever play or even really mention them. This was actually a greater issue that bled into real life, but I won't get into that here. Anyways, just a lot of weird stuff I didn't notice until looking back.
(sorry if that's a lot to read! just needed to rant a bit lol)

I don't want to talk about him too much. It was traumatizing, but I need to tell everyone there is no shame in getting help.

The worst player I ever met is also the best writer I've met. He has influenced my own style to a ridiculous degree and sometimes I shamelessly draw inspiration from him.

He was an amazing GM that was also really great at giving constructive criticism. It was clear he wanted everyone to be the best writer they could be, but he was never harsh with his suggestions. This gave me the illusion that he was likely some really good guy IRL.

Yes and no...? Maybe he could have been a good guy.

We were playing in a private discord RP in a setting we both share an adoration for. He had all this lore, NPCs, storylines made for the setting. It was amazing really. But the guy became very paranoid really quick for no reason, got way too attached to me over time like he had some kind of void inside himself. He was a little too astute for his own good and literally managed to dox half the server because of this paranoia. He'd flutter between being a genuinely kind person, but then he would switch to fits of paranoia.

I stuck around because I really did care about him. But everyone else left after the doxing incident (side note... please, please, please, be very careful about what you share online. even things you think are meaningless can come together to compromise your identity). He had no idea about where I was from because I am a pretty safe person online. The guy was really trusting and I knew a ton about him from this attachment he had formed for me. He had family around him that really cared about him. I also learned that he apparently was suffering from the early onset of schizophrenia.

One night he was talking to me in voice chat, but was not making sense. He hung up and I haven't heard from him since.

I don't know what happened to him. I hope he's alright.

But please, please, everyone there's no shame in avoiding RPing with someone if you suspect they are not mentally okay. It does not make you a bigot, ableist, or whatever. I really encourage everyone try to find people who are of sound mental state to play with and stick with those people. People who cannot keep their mental issues out of their hobby, no matter how talented they are, should seek help rather than indulging in a hobby and slipping away.

to be honest i thought this thread was going to be filled with a lot of toxicity when i first saw it, but the anonymity of everyone's stories does a great job of keeping anyone from feeling bashed.

i know when i initially started roleplaying with people i was one of these players lmao, but i've learned and grown since then.

the worst player is a toss up, but would probably have to say this guy i from the group i started writing with when i had my first introduction to roleplay from tumblr. looking back now, there were nine million warning signs i breezed by because i was just ignorant, but i actively cringe thinking about it and applaud myself for blocking him and everyone else from that group after i stopped talking to them. he almost exclusively wrote nsfw and insisted he'd gotten ptsd from a roleplay he was in where his character had been cheated on. therefore any content that was too closely associated with said rp disturbed him. he did a number of things that made me uncomfortable, and thank fucking christ i took internet safety seriously back then because i would probably be in a different place now if i didn't. i felt bad and kinda powered through the discomfort for a while, until i couldn't take it anymore and just slammed the block button for everyone involved in that. best decision of my life.

worst character probably has to go to a far more recent encounter of mine sometime last year. i joined a multifandom rp with my at the time favorite oc, who was the horseman of death. title of character aside, he's pretty tame besides not knowing when to shut his mouth sometimes. a few days (or about a week or so) after my form was accepted and i'd written a few posts to get myself started, this individual created a new character and wanted to dm me about some character relations.
to begin: their character was what was called a "death dragon." supposedly, they were vicious creatures true to the name, but this one was "different." it broke the mold of the stereotype because it was created by some iteration of death to be a companion. fair enough. it was also an anthro for this reason. also fair enough.
here's where it gets quirky: they brought this up because their character sees any version of death as their master. now, i wanted to say no from the start but i didn't want to be rude, so i asked: "can you give me a little bit more detail about your character?" let me tell you, that was a mistake
it's weird: they explained it was not a love in a romantic sense, but in a "pet/master" sense. i wasn't too bothered before, but boy was i after that. their character was sixteen. one fucking six, and they wanted my character who is like 60 to be their master. i shut that shit down so quick, and i'm pretty sure they held it against me because they didn't seem to grasp how disturbingly wrong it was but i do not care. that made me feel gross

Users who are viewing this thread

Back