Other What are the most annoying things you see on social media?

CrowOuttaHell

Skull-Faced Writer
Personally, I'm not too active on social media. I have a bad habit of lurking, and only use my accounts for whenever I'm required to (AKA communicate with classmates, groupmates, etc. about projects.) But there are still some things that stand out, that irk you for some reason, even though it usually wouldn't.

A few of mine include:

- Chain letters. Especially of the horror variety. No, I don't believe Teddy the 7 year old with missing eyes typed an entire message out for the sake of killing people on Facebook, and no I do not want to see that shit in my feed. If you're going to scare someone, at least actually try instead of just going "WARNING! Once you start reading YOU CANNOT STOP! If you stop you will DIE even if you just read the warning!"

- Soliciting likes or shares or whatnot. We've all seen it. Like for Jesus, ignore for Satan. This kid is sick, give him a like in place of medicine. This is Johanna (insert picture of a creepy grinning girl here) give her a like or she'll show up in your bedroom at night.

- Used to not mind this one as much, but...couples who overshare or brag too much about their new relationship. Look, I don't mind seeing pictures of your dates or where you last went. What irritates me is when they go out of their way to show up at posts where people are joking about being single and going either "haha sucks to be you I have a significant other" or "man i wish my crush went out with me too...oh wait she already did".

- In the same vein? People bemoaning the fact that they don't have a significant other. Just a personal peeve of mine. You can post about it, sure. Just don't go around posting on everyone else's happy posts or something going "I wish I had that hmph."

- Overly political posts calling out people who don't want to post about politics. I sincerely doubt you calling me a clown because I don't post about politics is going to change the current state of politics, Karen.

Just keep in mind all of the above are just personal peeves of mine and if you do any of that, more power to you. It's just stuff I generally don't like seeing in my space. 😅

How about you guys? Anything annoying you find about social media?

Pretty much all of the above. I don't use social media often though.

One of the things that I personally find extremely annoying is that having a Facebook account is pretty much required for work but at the same time sharing personal info is bad for your professional image (because my hobbies include gaming, cosplay and other weeb stuff that is generally frowned upon by society because it's "stupid" and "not serious").
I had to make two accounts, one for myself where I feel free to talk to friends and share things about my interests and one for work where I only list socially acceptable hobbies and post photos related to work only. It annoys me that I can't be myself and have to waste time on two accounts.

Twitter:

Seeing posts only by people you don't follow because people you follow like them.
Reducing all nuance to zero, particularly on politics or social justice issues.
Following people for professional reasons or art yet most of their posts are of the above nature.
People thinking if you follow someone you agree with all their personal opinions/political beliefs.
Posts written in all caps with clapping hands emojis between each word.
Algorithms.

lol I hate Twitter and I need to gradually move my professional stuff to instagram. XD

Facebook:

Baby photos. I'm just not interested. Babies all pretty much look the same anyway.
Memes.
Links to news articles that are clearly extremely biased or are old.

Facebook is usually pretty good. Aside from the dodginess of the system of course. XD

All:

Mansplaining. ''Tis a curse.

One of the things that I personally find extremely annoying is that having a Facebook account is pretty much required for work

This. I'm not against social media by any means, but if I'm forced to get on Facebook just to talk about a project and people actively get mad at me for not being active on Facebook, it just becomes a chore. The whole image thing sucks too.

Reducing all nuance to zero, particularly on politics or social justice issues.
Following people for professional reasons or art yet most of their posts are of the above nature.

Amen. It's what turned me off from following any Western artists on Twitter tbh. One minute I'm looking at genuinely interesting content and good fanart the next I'm seeing tweets like "all men/women are evil", "(insert politician here) sucks", "they claim to support this but i bet they actually won't" and it's just...aargh.

Cancel culture on Twitter too. That's an entire can of worms on its own.
Links to news articles that are clearly extremely biased or are old.

Facebook has a weird penchant for fake news. I feel like I'm always getting "warnings" from my relatives or something because Japan made nuclear microwaves or something or that corned beef is actually made out of human.

Cancel culture on Twitter too. That's an entire can of worms on its own.

Indeed. INDEED.

How can you get a well-rounded view of the world, and learn to understand people, if you don't, for example, read works by "problematic" individuals. People encouraging others not to read certain author's works because they are in some way not ideologically consistent with the prevailing thought, and other people being like "Oh I didn't know X person was problematic, I won't read their work, I'm glad I've never read it," sends so many alarm bells ringing and makes me fear for the future of social liberalism tbh.

In my day, we read things first, and then formed an opinion. Not just took the word of some rando on the internet.

Mine's mostly Facebook. I don't use Twitter and I rarely post or visit my own Instagram.

- I don't really mind political posts or religious ones. Your wall, your rules. I don't get posts that supposedly call out light social media users like me for not caring enough since every act is a political act, yada yada. Like, I do care. Believe it or not, I'm up to date with the news. I just don't post every single opinion I have on my feed, that's all.

- To continue with the politics, there are also people who insist on seeing things in just two sides. So when you criticise even one aspect of a side, you're automatically labelled a supporter of the other. I think the current administration has just cultivated this climate where people fail to consider nuance in everything. Things can only ever go two ways: full support, or inciting sedition. No room for discourse, finding the middle ground or calling out the bad and praising the good. Whether by design or not, it doesn't matter. The current climate just sucks. It's why I don't use social media much anymore, aside from checking preorders on my favorite online stores.

- Fake news. You know, the types your grandparents would share. XD

- Current generation hate. Basically, pick your poison: Our music, our supposed inability to take a joke, our video games, our technology, our social media use etc. Ok Boomer had become my go-to response when they start invading my wall.

Indeed. INDEED.

How can you get a well-rounded view of the world, and learn to understand people, if you don't, for example, read works by "problematic" individuals. People encouraging others not to read certain author's works because they are in some way not ideologically consistent with the prevailing thought, and other people being like "Oh I didn't know X person was problematic, I won't read their work, I'm glad I've never read it," sends so many alarm bells ringing and makes me fear for the future of social liberalism tbh.

In my day, we read things first, and then formed an opinion. Not just took the word of some rando on the internet.

Mmm...I don't know about this though. This is pretty much just the free market at work to me. Like, no one can stop these "problematic people" from publishing, speaking etc. They still make millions for everything they do. However, as much as they are technically allowed their free speech to vomit out their poison on public platforms, it is also within the public's right to free speech to ignore or 'cancel them'. Personal insults may go too far at times and reputations can be destroyed but you would think these individuals would've thought about that before using the platform.

So no, I don't think cancel culture is a thing. It's just people being held accountable for their words and actions by being called out or denied their soapboxes. It's just the plain o'l capitalist market at work.

Mmm...I don't know about this though. This is pretty much just the free market at work to me. Like, no one can stop these "problematic people" from publishing, speaking etc. They still make millions for everything they do. However, as much as they are technically allowed their free speech to vomit out their poison on public platforms, it is also within the public's right to free speech to ignore or 'cancel them'. Personal insults may go too far at times and reputations can be destroyed but you would think these individuals would've thought about that before using the platform.

So no, I don't think cancel culture is a thing. It's just people being held accountable for their words and actions by being called out or denied their soapboxes. It's just the plain o'l capitalist market at work.

It might be the free market, yeah. And I don't mind when actual problematic things get called out by people on the internet. My personal problem with cancel culture is that it gets pretty much abused by a couple of people on Twitter to target generally...unproblematic artists with outlandish claims despite the artists generally being on the safe side. 😅

It might be the free market, yeah. And I don't mind when actual problematic things get called out by people on the internet. My personal problem with cancel culture is that it gets pretty much abused by a couple of people on Twitter to target generally...unproblematic artists with outlandish claims despite the artists generally being on the safe side. 😅

Even artists are subject to the free market too though. But yeah, people can be nasty on the internet but that's the nature of the beast. Mob rule is problematic but I think the problems are only exacerbated since for the longest time, these problematic individuals were not getting their just desserts. This now whips the public's appetite for retribution. And this ensuing mob retribution is, as you can see, very brutal.

Do I think mob rule is the best way to resolve things? No. I still think these things can be discussed in a civil manner. But only when both sides are willing to talk. And since the balance of power has swung the other way for far too long, it's probably unnerving all of us now that we're seeing the scales shift.

The thing that I find difficult is the number of people who just want to stick their fingers in their ears and go "la la la" to avoid hearing anything they might disagree with.

For example, cancelling Robert Crumb because of his comics from the 1970s having a misogynistic bent, despite how much his art contributed to the culture and development of the comics medium.

Capitalism is kinda beside the point. This is damaging people's understanding of culture, history, and the world around them. I mean capitalism is always beside the point afaic but ya know. XD

The whole "sticking their hands in their ears" work both ways as well. In my experience, these problematic individuals likewise, do not listen to any attempt at civility or equality. If they do not feel obligated to hear my story, then I have no obligation to listen to theirs. Time will take care of the rest.

I don't think it's anyone's responsibility to preserve said 'controversial person's' legacy or whatever. People do not want to remember him. If enough people do not want to remember him, then so be it. He's made his own bed, now he has to lie in it. Perhaps he should have had the foresight nor empathy to consider how damning his depictions were and how it would have been perceived in the future. Accountability is all on him.

I mean, that's where it all comes down to isn't it? Perhaps if people were held to be more accountable to their responsibilities then maybe this so-called cancel culture would not have existed.

Twitter:

Seeing posts only by people you don't follow because people you follow like them.

This is so annoying, I lot of my friends like half-naked girls, I'm talking 18+ only accounts. So I have to be super careful when looking at it in public.

Besides that, I just don't like witch hunts. I feel that even if someone did something wrong it's a really childish thing to do. Or people that spread dangerous misinformation, just google it before posting something that could potentially hurt someone.

I mean, that's where it all comes down to isn't it? Perhaps if people were held to be more accountable to their responsibilities then maybe this so-called cancel culture would not have existed.

Except that a lot of things targeted would either require more than just foresight, but indeed an ability to see the future that would put an oracle to shame or are fabricated out of thin air. Naturally, not every case is like this, but increasingly this mob-rule outrage has been based on:
A) Things discovered about someone's past which are either dubious in whether they happened or are viewed with what's called "the benefit of hindesight", judging the past by current moral stances and information.

B) Things which aren't one-sided in which the mob is dogpiling on the less mainstream opinion and even misrepresenting the other side of the argument.

C) Herculean leaps of mental gymnastics to turn a number of perfectly good things into points of outrage for those looking to virtue-signal, or the disturbingly common act of projecting one's own misinterpretation not only on another's words but onto their whole worldview.

When something legitimately horrid is found, it should be called out, and more importantly either brought to Court or if it's not technically illegal then whatever form of "not buying your product" there is for that scenario is the attitude people should take. But the instances I listed above are not "accountability" they are shifting the goalpoasts.

Nonetheless, I do agree that people complaining on twitter isn't a big deal in of itself. People should be free to say what they want, be angry if it comes down to it, complain... But mob rule of this factless, baseless sort, more outraged by things that are a product of their imagination than by real issues plaguing people should not have the power to do things like pressure a company into firing someone in the time between a plane lift-off and landing, over a joke.

The post I made above probably spells it out but the things that most annoy me on social media are the attacks against people, groups, shows etc... for imaginary problems or non-problems. Political content isn't fun, but a good civil discussion on a topic can be informative for both sides and potentially enlighten either or both on the best solution to take. Attacks, on the other hand, only bring negatives. Even if the issue is real and should be dealt with, the typically fundamental misformation or plain misunderstanding of either side, the rudeness and escalation, and worst of all, the legitimate harm that can be done to someone's reputation, financial situation, career, and even someone's own life if it gets bad enough, without any real accountability from said mob nor them ever learning their lesson when proven wrong, it's all destruction and no construction, not to mention that anyone even tangentially involved will at the very least see be left in a bad mood.

Social media can be dangerous, as who knows how one's content is going to viewed.

Except that a lot of things targeted would either require more than just foresight, but indeed an ability to see the future that would put an oracle to shame or are fabricated out of thin air. Naturally, not every case is like this, but increasingly this mob-rule outrage has been based on:
A) Things discovered about someone's past which are either dubious in whether they happened or are viewed with what's called "the benefit of hindesight", judging the past by current moral stances and information.

B) Things which aren't one-sided in which the mob is dogpiling on the less mainstream opinion and even misrepresenting the other side of the argument.

C) Herculean leaps of mental gymnastics to turn a number of perfectly good things into points of outrage for those looking to virtue-signal, or the disturbingly common act of projecting one's own misinterpretation not only on another's words but onto their whole worldview.

When something legitimately horrid is found, it should be called out, and more importantly either brought to Court or if it's not technically illegal then whatever form of "not buying your product" there is for that scenario is the attitude people should take. But the instances I listed above are not "accountability" they are shifting the goalpoasts.

Nonetheless, I do agree that people complaining on twitter isn't a big deal in of itself. People should be free to say what they want, be angry if it comes down to it, complain... But mob rule of this factless, baseless sort, more outraged by things that are a product of their imagination than by real issues plaguing people should not have the power to do things like pressure a company into firing someone in the time between a plane lift-off and landing, over a joke.

Yes, these are good points. A lot of the time, things do lack nuance and outsiders looking in do not indeed see the whole side of the story. I will concede that.

But as an add-on to my original answer to the thread topic...MULTI-LEVEL MARKETING! Like, ugh! I've had to unfollow so many old friends and even some distant relatives because of this.

MULTI-LEVEL MARKETING! Like, ugh! I've had to unfollow so many old friends and even some distant relatives because of this.

Oh God someone you knew got caught up in those things? I wish them godspeed in getting out of it, hopefully they still can.

Oh God someone you knew got caught up in those things? I wish them godspeed in getting out of it, hopefully they still can.

Yeah. There's this girl who's been pushing this investment scam to us. Supposedly it's about buying gold or precious metals. She's been doing the whole thing where she poses in front of fancy cars she doesn't own, posing with piles of cash or whatnot. All the while, the company she was involved in was literally on the news as they were under investigation by the Internal Revenue guys.

She was pretty defensive about it, posting stuff about how the BIR guys are wrong or whatnot. Company went under a couple of months later and she just stopped. She opened a small business instead I believe so that's a bit of a happy ending for her at least.

The others selling overpriced and non-FDA approved beauty pills and supplements are still around though.

Last edited:
Yeah. There's this girl who's been pushing this investment scam to us. Supposedly it's about buying gold or precious metals. She's been doing the whole thing where she poses in front of fancy cars she doesn't own, posing with piles of cash or whatnot. All the while, the company she was involved in was literally on the news as they were investigation by the Internal Revenue guys.

She was pretty defensive about it, posting stuff about how the BIR guys are wrong or whatnot. Company went under a couple of months later and she just stopped. She opened a small business instead I believe so that's a bit of a happy ending for her at least.

The others selling overpriced and non-FDA approved beauty pills and supplements are still around though.

Well, there's a bit of a silver lining to one of the stories at least. :)

I only use social media for memes. Like, that is literally 90% of the reason with the other 10% being so I can keep in vague contact with my friends that I no longer live around. If it wasn't for those two things, memes especially, I'd be MIA.

Biggest pet peeve though is those wannabe "woke" posts that try their hardest to sound intelligent and against the curve of 'sheep' but in actuality are just as stupid as the rest. Saw one a while ago that was rambling about how time is just a human concept and doesn't actually exist or something and I just stared at it like "..." *logs off for the day*

I don't really use social media at all... RpN is the best way to find me, haha.

Regardless, I have friends and family who do. I've heard horror stories of people on Facebook or Reddit. It's more common than you think, people saying that those who had/have cancer brought it upon themselves because they didn't do xyz.

Smoking I get. Like... If you're smoking every day for 50 years, don't kid yourself, lol... But some people seem really eager to blame every other type of cancer on the victim. Apparently I needed to drink more milk and eat less meat, and I could've avoided the 120+ days of hell I went through. For leukemia, even - a type which we don't even really know where it comes from.

Oh well I guess. I'll be sure to "eat better" next time.

I can scroll past a lot on social media and not care, but when something randomly sexual shows up on my feed it pisses me off (I don't follow anyone that post's this) I've been next to my mother or at work and this has happened! it's so embarrassing!

- Chain letters. Especially of the horror variety. No, I don't believe Teddy the 7 year old with missing eyes typed an entire message out for the sake of killing people on Facebook, and no I do not want to see that shit in my feed. If you're going to scare someone, at least actually try instead of just going "WARNING! Once you start reading YOU CANNOT STOP! If you stop you will DIE even if you just read the warning!"

Chain letters are still a thing? I haven't seen one since, like, the early 2010s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back