Advice/Help What are the differences between Discord RP and RP on here?

metalfrenzy

Looking for RP, about it
Excuse my English at points, it isn't my first language.

I recently came here from discord because the RPs I've liked on discord are either deleted or just so rare that they get flooded out on disboard before anyone even looks at them. However, my question is, is there any difference in RP here and there? I can understand discord doesn't commonly have people who type novels just to do one action (don't mean to offend anyone with that), but is there anything else?

What's the most common genre/type of RP on here that I should be aware of?
Is combat in RP more common in here than discord rps?
Can I easily convert the setting I've been making in discord to here?

Well, welcome to RPNation.
If you aren't familiar with forum based roleplays, you can find roleplays in the looking for group and looking for partner sections. Generally fandoms and fantasy (as well as realistic/modern) are the most popular genre categories, but we have a lot of others that you can find.

I'm not sure how combat works for your discord rps, but generally combat here is decided by the GM, as in what kinds of systems and mechanics of combat are used, such as dice, turn based, GM decisions, etc.

I'd say so. Being a forum RP website, we generally have a lot of leeway when it comes to how GMs create their RPs. Most often, people will make a lore page in extra pages and link it to the RP.

I recently came here from discord because the RPs I've liked on discord are either deleted or just so rare that they get flooded out on disboard before anyone even looks at them. However, my question is, is there any difference in RP here and there? I can understand discord doesn't commonly have people who type novels just to do one action (don't mean to offend anyone with that), but is there anything else?
While I don't do discord RPs, one difference I've definitely felt from chat RPs to forum is the matter of timing. While of course this isn't a hard rule, chat RPs generally have the expectation of both players being simultaneously present and roleplaying with each other at a specific time, in other words chat RPs often happen in "sessions", whereas forum RPs simply respond to the posts when it's more convenient or when they can.

Besides that and what you've already mentioned, plus some aesthetic matters, I can't really think of much of a relevant or in any way stable difference.

What's the most common genre/type of RP on here that I should be aware of?
The most common genres are fantasy and fandom, but you don't need to be "aware" or anything. Always properly classify your RPs, and don't try aim to do something just because its popular.

Is combat in RP more common in here than discord rps?
Not really, straight up combat RP is near nonexistent here, though there are a few people who do occasionally try making RPs there and some people who are willing to give it a go

Can I easily convert the setting I've been making in discord to here?
Super easy, barely an inconvenience!

You need just go to extra pages and make a lore thread for your roleplay. There you can pump in all the info you want, organize it, even code it if you want.

There is always also the alternative of using external sites to store the info on your world and then linking to it. One option, for instance, is world anvil, which lets you make a sort of wikia for your world.

There is also this guide that should help you orient yourself on this forum better.

Hope this helps! Best of luck and happy RPing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back