Chitchat What are some weird things you believed growing up?

Alec_is_here

Why not?
I believed that every time I stayed up past my bedtime, a demon would come out of my closet and eat me. I literally came up with an entire name and backstory for this dude. His name was bubbles the destroyer. (I was six at the time and bubbles freaked me out) This theory was disproved when I was ten and read a book for 30 minutes after my bedtime (I know, I was such a rebel.)

I was pretty scared of the urban legend/scary stories that my mom would tell me. I was a hyper kid so I would always be running around and getting myself separated from my parents. I remember specifically when we were at the park once that she said tree people would kidnap me when I strayed too far. From the way she described it, it was like tiny evil gnomes with red eyes and sharp teeth. She said they ate kids. I was pretty terrified of getting too close to trees until she told me they weren’t real.

I legit believed I was half monkey until 4th grade.

My sister told me I had been adopted from the circus as a baby but they "had to cut off my tail to fit in with humans, that's why you have a tail bone" and that the only reason my mom kept saying I wasn't was because she was afraid of how I'd react to finding out.

Yeah, so needless to say she finally told me she was messing with me years later and I sobbed for like an hour lol

My sister told me I had been adopted from the circus as a baby but they "had to cut off my tail to fit in with humans, that's why you have a tail bone" and that the only reason my mom kept saying I wasn't was because she was afraid of how I'd react to finding out.
if this isn't the most older sibling thing I've ever heard-

My dad told me when I was a kid that if I showered in water that was too hot I would shrink and that was why my mom is so short. My dad has an uncanny ability to say total bullshit in a way that makes it sounds TOTALLY true and I believed this for a while. Now, as a 5'9'' woman, I like to say my height is because my showers weren't too hot.

My 4th-grade teacher told us that the the plural of moose is meese, and for years nobody could convince me otherwise.

I haaaated eating the crusts on my bread. And I’ve never been able to whistle due to my tied tongue (basically the tip of my tongue is attached to the bottom of my gums). My parents told me I could whistle if I ate my crust.

I believed turning the little ceiling light in a car on was illegal or something. I don't know why it was always so... "forbidden" to turn it on ahaha.

Vampires, ghosts, the boogey-man! Wait, I'm still afraid of the last one. I get creeped out whenever I am in the dark.

Ahaha... I remember my grandfather telling me when I was little that planes leave contrails to later find their way back home.
Needless to say I spent my entire childhood worrying about how the planes would safely get back home when the trails inevitably dissolved after a couple of minutes.

I grew up thinking that monsters were real and sunk into the floor whenever someone checked under the bed for them to hide.

I wholeheartedly believed that I was alive when Martin Luther King was assassinated. I was born in the 90's btw. I had this dream that i was watching TV when it happened, and then went around elementary school telling my kid friends that i was alive and saw it (was about 6-7 i think, i thiiinnkkk). The kids thought it was cool, but a teacher broke the news to me that I couldn't have been alive during that time, and for some reason it was such a shock to me as a kid. :-_-lines:

I was utterly convinced for a large portion of my life that the THX logo was stalking in my house late at night, and that if I wasn't careful when going around, it would find me and kill me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back