Viewpoint What are some things you won't role play?

Hmmm Overall I am a very open person when it comes to roleplay and am willing to try many different things, but I definitely have quite a few things that I absolutely refuse to do a roleplay based around.

1. Furries

I respect the community. I respect anyone who wants to do anything surrounding furries. I respect anyone that makes furry artwork. Unless you do something that actually makes me feel uncomfortable, honestly, you do you boo boo. But I really never have wanted to do a furry roleplay. I don't want to play as an anthropomorphic animal. Nor do I want to roleplay in a world with anthropomorphic animals. Yes, I watch things like Zootopia, Lion King, and BoJack Horseman, but that doesn't mean I want to roleplay it. I am not under the impression that furry roleplays are about the fetish/kink. They can be perfectly non-sexual and even non-romantic. But I don't want to roleplay it and I am quite frustrated when people try to convince me to roleplay it. It just is not my cup of tea. I have been called a bigot for not trying and I am just ??? can I not just enjoy myself?

2. Slice of Life

Nothing big. I just find it rather dull. Sometimes I watch it, as it can be funny/cute, but I really don't like writing about it. I prefer actually having very immense plots and worlds that move my characters and stories along rather than playing slice of life. I understand why people like it though, so I don't knock it.

3. Mental Illness/Addiction/rape/abusive relationships

This is actually a bit different because I actually will write roleplays where this is a theme but, quite frankly, I don't trust people with this shit. I have lived through some of it and it actually disgusts me how much disrespect I will see them get in both published writing and roleplays. A lot of the times they are used as cheap gimmicks to make a character more "interesting" or "pitiful". I have seen it used so disrespectfully I have basically decided I don't want to see it unless I actually trust the person behind the keyboard. I will not accept a character being raped for the sake of "pity points" nor do I want to see a serious mental illness being used as a "wacky quirk" nor do I want to roleplay through a romanticization of an abusive relationship. This is, honestly, where I am more unforgiving. Now, I have learned to calm down about it, as many people who do this are young and new to writing, and also technically if you are not hurting anyone, I really should not hold it against you. There is a reason harlequin novels are popular which is the same reason people like having abusive themes in their romance roleplays. While I understand it, I really don't like it.

4. Love Triangles

I hate love triangles with a burning passion. Many times I feel a good work of fiction is a bit ruined when an unnecessary love triangle is shoved into the mix. Most of the times I just find them done plain badly. Most of the time, if you don't fantasize about being in the middle of two boys/girls fighting over you, it is not really an interesting facet of drama. Why? Because it is almost always obvious who the one in the middle is going to end up with, they just throw another person in because "watching someone lead another person on/ or someone not take no for an answer and act like a complete creep is somehow romantic"??? I have only ever seen a love triangle done alright once and that was because everyone in the triangle cared for one another equally and wanted to see each other happy which is kind of what made it such an interesting dynamic.

But if it is just two people at one another's throats fighting for a girl/ boy who, quite frankly, isn't that interesting? Like how did they manage to get everyone to love them they are so dull?Yeah... no...

On that note... the final and most obvious...

5. Anything with a Mary-Sueish vibe

They exist most rampantly in fanfiction and roleplay forms. But they are the most detrimental to roleplays and, good god, I have gotten trapped in many roleplays with them. My definition of a Mary-Sue is a character who does not bend to the rules of the world, but rather makes the world bend to them. They may not be superpowered, they may not be perfect, but they definitely seem to have some world bending ability that makes everyone see reality in their warped vision. These characters often are called "very beautiful" but that certainly is not a problem (though I do hate when my partner repeatedly beats me over the head in every post with how good looking their character is- I GET IT JENNIFER SHE HAS BIG BOOBS AND GOLDEN HAIR AND IS AS BEAUTIFUL AS THE SUN). My big problem with them is that whatever the writer asserts for them basically becomes law. They act like an asshole? Well they are still likable and I am going to get made if your character does not like them. They never show signs of actually being smart? Well I decided they are smart so your characters should treat them like they are. They never show signs of actually doing anything for themselves and mostly just stand around and let others do things for them? Well I decided they are strong and independent and your characters should think the same. They have no personality and are actually very dull, in fact the only thing they have going is that they are pretty? Well I decided your character is going to fall in love with mine (btw your character has to think mine is already perfect, but I am going to decide how you make yours and my character will nitpick every aspect they don't like).

You can see how it can get tiring. And a lot of times, this author forces the story to center completely around their character. So, anytime I start seeing signs of this (and I mean actual signs like the author is upset that my character gets mad at their own or dislikes the idea of their character ever facing actual consequences for their actions but always getting "pity points" ) I almost always confront and then if it gets too bad, dip.

Well, that is basically it for what I will not roleplay.

Melpomene Melpomene I read somewhere that what most people think a love triangle is isn’t entirely accurate.

It’s supposed to be something like - Sally has a crush on Joe, Joe has a crush on Jan, Jan has a crush on Sally.

Now I don’t know if that’s true but I do think that would probably be a lot more interesting to read about.

Melpomene Melpomene I read somewhere that what most people think a love triangle is isn’t entirely accurate.

It’s supposed to be something like - Sally has a crush on Joe, Joe has a crush on Jan, Jan has a crush on Sally.

Now I don’t know if that’s true but I do think that would probably be a lot more interesting to read about.
No, love triangles only require two of the involved parties to have feelings for one of the others. What you described is technically more accurate to the name, but it only works if at least one of the characters has a same-sex crush, and people have been describing complicated relationship bullshit as love triangles in fiction for a lot longer than LGBT content has been considered acceptable.

Either way, relationship drama sucks.

Just like the title says really. Feel free to elaborate as to why not as much or as little as you see fit, "I don't like it/it doesn't interest me" is a perfectly fine explanation as we're all just here to have fun. Here's a few of mine:

Heavy fluff - it just gets boring
Animal abuse - just no
Promiscuous characters - it turns too lewd/sexual
Furries - just not my thing and kinda creepy tbh
Older women dating younger men/women - I'll role play the other way round (just no student/teacher stuff) but it almost always gets fetishized.

Extreme NSFW story lines and abuse against animals and children
I can't stand that stuff either

No, love triangles only require two of the involved parties to have feelings for one of the others. What you described is technically more accurate to the name, but it only works if at least one of the characters has a same-sex crush, and people have been describing complicated relationship bullshit as love triangles in fiction for a lot longer than LGBT content has been considered acceptable.

Either way, relationship drama sucks.
According to my research there's actually many ways a love triangle can work. The most commonly used one is Character A and Character B both love Character C, but there are in fact several other ways a love triangle can play out:

My personal favorite way to make it work is this one:

Character A loves Character B, but Character B loves character C. Basically instead of two people being after the same person, it's one after a second who is after a third

Fandoms

Script

Romance - Frankly I have a lot of reasons for hating this. It seems to just be all people want to do once they have the seed planted. Forget everything else. Not a fan of someone trying to throw it in to heavy on their own characters side of the plot either. Especially when I'm playing a very non romance character and they keep wanting to talk to them about advice in their love life. It was a fun awkward character moment at first, stop pushing it just to show how hopeless in love your character is with this person! And don't get me started on someone with unrequited love for my character!

Sex- The details of such thing need to remain unsaid. I don't want to see smut. I don't want to hear the details of sex crimes. Details are not needed.

Babysitting- Please keep kids plot relevant, in small doses, and out of the way of actual events. Kids are a cute way of showing the world and character traits in dealing with them. But people just have a habit of turning them in the main plot. Or using them to disrupt flow because CCCCUUUUUUTTTTTEEEEE! The kids from the family visit need to stay with the family when the characters leave. The kid relevant for that plot stint does not need to became a main character. If a kid starts popping up where their is no way they should be alive there, disrupt a serious conversation we've been building to, or start referring to my character as a parent or sibling they've desperately wanted I'm likely leaving the RP and ghosting you until I calm down.

I have very few limits on what I won't RP, but I'll list some off that do exist:
-Pedophilia: it's okay as part of a character backstory, but no having underage characters actively sexually abused during the course of the story, thanks.
-Feline abuse: why cats specifically idk, but I get uncomfortable just thinking about it.
-Basically any kinky or fetishy stuff: off-screen references to it are fine, but I'm not actively writing it out.
-Romantic relationship age gaps of more than ten years: arranged marriages are the exception as long as both characters are age of consent.
-Tokenism, as in having a character exist in the story simply to be gay, a minority, etc.: I'm fine with these characteristics, but please give the characters personality and struggles beyond just their sexuality, race, etc.
-Forced romance: I'm fine with romance if it develops naturally over the course of the story and there's chemistry.
-Modern realistic slice of life: I find these plots incredibly boring, please give me a fantasy setting or something if you want to write slice of life type stuff.
Any canon characters: I love fandom RP's, but I love developing my own characters more. I will not write an already existing character unless it's as a brief cameo appearance or a minor character we know little about from source material.

I've had this requested a lot surprisingly and I still refuse to do it.
People request for threesomes with my twin OCs and also wish for the pair to get involved with themselves.
Incest is a super "hard no"

Last edited:
Just like the title says really. Feel free to elaborate as to why not as much or as little as you see fit, "I don't like it/it doesn't interest me" is a perfectly fine explanation as we're all just here to have fun. Here's a few of mine:

Heavy fluff - it just gets boring
Animal abuse - just no
Promiscuous characters - it turns too lewd/sexual
Furries - just not my thing and kinda creepy tbh
Older women dating younger men/women - I'll role play the other way round (just no student/teacher stuff) but it almost always gets fetishized.

It might just be me but it seems like everyone's OC has a tragic backstory with horrible past events. I mean, I don't need that to like your character if that's the goal an I shouldn't feel like I need that for my character to be liked. There's nothing wrong with having a sad backstory even ones that are over the top but it's everywhere.

It might just be me but it seems like everyone's OC has a tragic backstory with horrible past events. I mean, I don't need that to like your character if that's the goal an I shouldn't feel like I need that for my character to be liked. There's nothing wrong with having a sad backstory even ones that are over the top but it's everywhere.

Really depends how it's done as tragic backstories do have their place.

True, if done right they do serve a purpose. It's just those over done ones. The ones that feel like they are there just to be there.

Also it's a matter of being saturated with them. There's nothing wrong with A character having a tragic backstory but when 90% of characters have one it gets very tired.

As I told someone once. A tragic past is a great way to set out your characters motivations, beliefs, goals, and why they are doing things the way they do in the present. As tragedy in the past will shape how much hope or concern they have for the future.

It should not be an excuse for a MAIN character to be a dysfunctional mess who can't even move the story. Also, tragic pasts should come to the surface naturally. Don't be that person that suddenly has their character in the throws of a nervous breakdown at the beginning of a RP and spouting all the wrongs that have been done to them and crying for a hug.

Well I mean, if my characters lead violently unstable lives (which they usually do, because I only really play well-adjusted characters if I'm planning to wreck their shit spectacularly later on), it makes sense to me that something made them that way. I do agree that some tragic backstories are overdone/unnecessary/too much, but as a concept, I am fond of it. It can be so much fun to plant the seeds and reveal things gradually, too!

On topic, I guess: I won't play straight romance. Too bored with the oversaturation in... pretty much every story ever.

im not into fandom rps because it feels kinda dirty playing characters that aren't my own
i have the same feeling with real life faceclaims but ill still use those if the rp requires them

im not into fandom rps because it feels kinda dirty playing characters that aren't my own
i have the same feeling with real life faceclaims but ill still use those if the rp requires them

What about playing in fandom universes with original characters? That's what I do.

What about playing in fandom universes with original characters? That's what I do.
I tried that a few times. Figured if I'm playing my character it wouldn't be any different than tossing my character in someone else's original world.
Only worked once. Couldn't have much fun with partners trying to convince me to change my character to fit a fanfic idea they had. Spamming me to watch videos of the fandom. Trying to get me to binge watch the show on Netflix. Complaining about people thinking something was cannon they say isn't.

Thanks to school, I don't have time to do any roleplay right now. However, when I do roleplay I never have and likely never will do romance. I'm uncomfortable around that sort of stuff in life, and it's somehow even more awkward to write. I'm down for almost any platonic pairing under the sun, but I'll nope out as soon as the mushiness comes out. Needless to say, I don't roleplay sex either.

I don't like playing as cannon characters in fandom either. It feels too restricting having to stick to the personality/backstory/general cannon baggage someone else already gave them.

I tried that a few times. Figured if I'm playing my character it wouldn't be any different than tossing my character in someone else's original world.
Only worked once. Couldn't have much fun with partners trying to convince me to change my character to fit a fanfic idea they had. Spamming me to watch videos of the fandom. Trying to get me to binge watch the show on Netflix. Complaining about people thinking something was cannon they say isn't.

I'd say you've just had bad partners then. I never have that sort of thing happen to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back