Experiences What are some RP ideas you've always wanted to try?

It's less a specific type/plot of RP, but I wish I could regain the freedom to RP really cringy shit like I did when I was young. As often happens with aging, I started taking myself Very Seriously and didn't want to do self-indulgent, tropey, or problematic things in my writing for a spell. Now I want that again because it was just Fun, and it feels like I can't get it back.

I used to be part of a role play that actually was real-time. It was pretty banana's and it lasted some time but it fizzled out. You see a problem with a fast pace. You can't get substantial sustenance enough to drive a story. It just doesn't happen. Unless you really young and have unlimited time on the internet.

For me. I'd love a role play that maybe had decent pacing. At least a post once a day would be nice. Dunno if role plays like that exist anymore. Actually, I'm sort of fearing so many stories have been done and re-down role-playing is just going to fade out.

I've always wanted to do a story with a deeply, deeply mythological tone where the players play as some sort of primal force of nature. East and West winds, maybe. I'd have to meet the *exact* right player to even consider attempting it.

For a few years I've been wanting to slap a small group together for this one, but the frustration of trying to run groups on Discord has turned me off trying it.

I want to write about a group of people staying in a seedy roadside motel somewhere in the midwestern US. Late 80s-90s. Every time someone tries to leave, they somehow wind up back in their room. Strange, mildly eerie happenings (broadcast interference on the televisions and in their car radios) begin to hint at what they'll have to do to escape. Their vehicles either don't work, or by driving far enough, they just come back up on the motel.

I did get this started with a 1x1 partner who gave a ton of life and intrigue to NPCs (like the guy working the front desk), but I'm a sucker for small, predominantly SOL groups.

Plots based on gratuitious magic, where many or all of the characters are unaccustomed to it.
Like, maybe random Californians start to turn into mythical creatures for no discernible reason, and the plot is based on how people react to this.
Maybe some humans stumble upon a portal to a world where there is no such thing as a human, and they can't get back to Earth, and they have to deal with sticking out like a sore thumb in a strange world.
Maybe some inhabitants of a world where magic is commonplace wind up on an otherwise magic-less Earth as the only people able to use magic and the Earthlings are bewildered.

I'd love for some rp of that ilk, particularly with worldbuilding divided between everyone who participates, but I'm afraid of not giving enough information to spark people's ideas for such a roleplay, or that nobody will be able to agree on important things that would need to be consistent.

Maybe some humans stumble upon a portal to a world where there is no such thing as a human, and they can't get back to Earth, and they have to deal with sticking out like a sore thumb in a strange world.

I've been having a recurring dream where I'm captured by aliens as a kind of 'pet' just before Earth is doomed by some sort of calamity. Maybe the aliens wanted me because I'm an endangered species? I don't know. Anyway, the dream goes on to feature some sort of emergency that disables some of the alien crew, including the navigator who is completely necessary to travel faster than light, and it's a skill only like one in a million of the aliens have. But for some reason, navigation comes really, REALLY easy to humans and I basically save everyone and they start seeing me not as a dumb animal but as a valuable member of the crew.

I've always thought that it would make an excellent RP.

Something like Ghost of a Tale. I've always been a sucker for little medieval mice since I was a kid and read Despereaux. Brave little mouse with a toothpick sword. So adorable.

I've always been a sucker for little medieval mice since I was a kid and read Despereaux. Brave little mouse with a toothpick sword. So adorable.

I hope you've seen "The Secret of Nimh". Not so medieval, but very much about a brave little mouse. Handsome rat hero, too.

something like an aunt zelda/aunt hilda relationship from the original sabrina teenage witch series 😭 where two witch dude pals somehow become responsible for raising and educating a teen witch and then they fall in loooove

Honestly, a wholesome rp about two guys trying to get ready for their two-month-away wedding.

Honestly, a wholesome rp about two guys trying to get ready for their two-month-away wedding.
It kind of surprises me you haven't been able to do this tbh. Modern realistic slice of life stuff is usually pretty popular around here.

Oh there are so many types of roleplays I would love to do, but haven't been able to yet. If I had to name a couple ideas.....

1. Anything involving dinosaurs, or creatures from prehistoric times. I am a huge paleontology nerd, so when I see stuff related to it in an rp setting, I get excited. An rp set in the world of the Fossil Fighters game series I could see myself having a lot of fun with. I also find gijinkas very cool, which a dinosaur gijinka (basically nonhuman beings/things portrayed as humans) roleplay I would definitely be down for. A time-travel survival roleplay could also be neat. Maybe a group of people start off in some sort of corrupt sci-fi dystopia, and end up traveling in time back to the Mesozoic Era, and they have to survive in this new environment. Also, I remember once joining an rp that had these dinosaur people in a medieval setting, with this huge conflict between the herbivores and carnivores within the kingdoms, and man I was excited. Sadly, that rp never got off the ground.

2. A roleplay based on the Backrooms. For those who don't know, the Backrooms is a concept that the real world is known as "the Frontrooms", and that one can no-clip into another liminal space-like reality known as "the Backrooms". Here's the image that spawned all the popularity:
1631667021487.png
Someone then made a creepypasta based on this, and the concept has gotten very popular as of late, with people coming up with all sorts of different levels and rooms, or different entities that inhabit the Backrooms; it's kind of like SCP, but based on locations. I think this has potential for being a cool concept for a exploration/horror type of rp. Maybe a group gets trapped in the Backrooms for some unknown reason, and they're trying to find a way out. Another idea could be them learning to cope or accept their fate in the Backrooms, leading to a pervasive feeling of dread as they go about trying to survive in such a place.

Last edited:
ive been wanting to do a slipknot rp with 8 other people basicly just chatting and roleplaying
i feel like it would be kinda cool but im not sure a lot of people on here know slipknot

I want to do either
Budget Cuts VR
Monster house
Ducktales
Nature adventures (I like someone to be animals)
The future is wild (animated)
Spec Evolution
All Tomorrows
Disney/Pixar

Time travel.
Basically a setting where a character is caught in a state of constantly jumping between different times whenever they fall asleep or unconscious, and end up accidentally dragging someone else into it with them.
Kind of a road trip through all kinds of different time periods on a quest to find a way back to where, or when, they belong.

Been dying to RP this for years X'3
Time traveling is interesting! I would like to be in it with my ocs! :) I like to see animals in past or future

For all of my love and flare for the dramatic ...
I legitimately just want to do something simple and found family focused for once.

The way I've been itching for like a RP focused around a little indie band formed in university is a little ridiculous.

And I had the idea about a little urban magic street in some fictional city full of bakeries owned by werewolves and flower shops owned by witches, music stores run by sirens ... etc. Just, something simple but still magic-touched with the focus just being around all of the various different people working there and living out their lives together with the biggest stresses being who can design the nicest holiday shop display or everyone just casually freaking out about the human that opened shop there recently.

I don't know I just want simpler things but I feel like they require a certain 'click' with your partners to actually be entertaining.
I'm seriously craving that band one though, I am a sucker for music-themed roleplays. The music sharing potential while brainstorming? Delicious.

For all of my love and flare for the dramatic ...
I legitimately just want to do something simple and found family focused for once.

The way I've been itching for like a RP focused around a little indie band formed in university is a little ridiculous.

And I had the idea about a little urban magic street in some fictional city full of bakeries owned by werewolves and flower shops owned by witches, music stores run by sirens ... etc. Just, something simple but still magic-touched with the focus just being around all of the various different people working there and living out their lives together with the biggest stresses being who can design the nicest holiday shop display or everyone just casually freaking out about the human that opened shop there recently.

Ohoo hello okay, this seems totally up my alley?! If you were ever interested in bringing that plot idea to life, shoot me a pm, I'd love to chat about it. Gotta love the found family trope. And make it music based, too? *Chef's kiss* Amazing.

I've always had a weird want to do a roadtrip roleplay with roots in modern fantasy. Like, make it vintage Americana themed, with late-night diners, hitchhiking to the next town over, seeing what there is to see and then moving on as quickly as you came? Just something kind of down to earth, no big bad dude to fight, just a couple characters' own journeys of self-discovery. Just sounds super cozy and fun to me, never found a partner who I think would be interested in it, though.

Ohoo hello okay, this seems totally up my alley?! If you were ever interested in bringing that plot idea to life, shoot me a pm, I'd love to chat about it. Gotta love the found family trope. And make it music based, too? *Chef's kiss* Amazing.

I've always had a weird want to do a roadtrip roleplay with roots in modern fantasy. Like, make it vintage Americana themed, with late-night diners, hitchhiking to the next town over, seeing what there is to see and then moving on as quickly as you came? Just something kind of down to earth, no big bad dude to fight, just a couple characters' own journeys of self-discovery. Just sounds super cozy and fun to me, never found a partner who I think would be interested in it, though.

okay, but one? bet, i'll absolutely shoot you a pm if i do. <3

and two, if you're ever feeling that roadtrip roleplay? self discovery and a good ol' fashioned vintage americana adventure? all the crappy motel rooms with them staying up into two am talking about their hopes, dreams, and fears while surrounded by overpriced junkfood and road maps they can barely make sense of?

hit me up, i'd so be down. <3 wink wink, nudge nudge.

Why am I getting FF 15 vibes from this? Lmao.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back