Anime & Manga What animes do you recommened to watch?

CookieCrim

Tired Writer
Hey there! I'm Sammy and I want to know some good animes you recommend me to watch!

I've been kinda stuck rewatching Diabolik Lovers and would like to start watching different anime's! I don't get a whole lot of time to watch things, so I'd like to watch a series that isn't too long.

So comment your recommendations!

So I don't watch anime often, I'm pretty selective, but here are some of my favorites over the years.

Paradise Kiss is my favorite slice of life, romance drama, the ending is refreshing!

Wolf's Rain is a sad story about basically the end of humanity and rebirth and has wolves!

Okay Flip Flappers is just a ride in weird. I went in for super cute anime magic girls, I got A WHOLE LOT OF DELIGHTFUL WEIRD and I loved it!

Land of the Lustrous is absolutely beautiful and I've watched it a couple times through now. A rarity for me.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is entirely out of my normal sphere of anime watching, BUT HOLY SHIT IS THIS SO GOOD! Worth every second, not only is the animation GORGEOUS the story slaps too!

Princess Jellyfish is another favorite, not much to say it's a slice of life romcom! Its great.

If you like vampire anime’s, I recommend Castlevania, Vampire Knight and Hellsing: Ultimate.

I'm really new to anime to be honest, so I'm really unfamiliar with what animes there are. I've heard about most of the more well-known ones, but I actually started with a short and sweet comedy and slice-of-life type of anime. I was looking for family-friendly animes (I'm not a fan of anything too violent or sexual, this kept me away from trying anime for some time), and I've just started watching this anime called Squid Girl. It's lighthearted and more focused on comedic slice-of-life episodes,

The main character, Squid Girl, comes to the surface wanting to take over humanity as revenge for them polluting the ocean, but she isn't quite as competent as she believes herself to be, and after breaking a hole in someone's beach restaurant, she has to work as a waitress to pay for the repairs. It doesn't have big drama or an epic story arc, as far as I'm concerned, but it's a short and sweet anime that I've found myself enjoying very much, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants something lighthearted and sweet.

If you're looking for some reverse harem or other adaptations based off of otome games, as Diabolik Lovers was, I can recommend...

---> Kamigami no Asobi : a girl gets isekai'd by Zeus into a school where she meets different gods from different mythologies.

---> Nil Admirari no Tenbin : there are cursed books that cause its reader to do some very disturbing things, so the heroine and the other guys in the organization help suppress these books, known as cursed tomes.

There's also Code:Realize -Sousei no Himegimi- and Norn9: Norn+Nonet, but they aren't as strong of adaptations in one way or another. It's really hard to adapt otome games into anime and make them good, since a lot of them are designed so that different storylines (branches) reveal different things about the story and are connected with each other.

Otherwise, other general anime I'd recommend are...

---> Toilet-bound Hanako-kun : a girl summons the ghost Hanako-kun of the Seven Mysteries of the school, and she finds herself dragged into paranormal events as Hanako-kun's assistant.

---> IDOLiSH7 : one of the better boy group idol anime out there in my opinion that follows the formation and rise of a newbie group called IDOLiSH7, documenting their successes and struggles.

---> Akatsuki no Yona : a princess embarks on a journey to gather the four descendants of the dragons along with her bodyguard and a healer (I believe) because she sort of gets kicked from her palace.

---> Yuri!!! on ICE : a skater aiming for the top with the help of his instructor... it's a boys love, but the characters, plot, and skating animations are very charming!

---> Mo Dao Zu Shi : a mischievous but very infamous cultivator named Wei Wuxian dies then gets "transported" 13 years later into the body of a lunatic. He meets an old acquaintance and archenemy / rival / sworn brother named Lan Wangji and they solve many mysteries together. It's originally in Chinese, and you can view it for free on YouTube, but there's going to be an official Japanese dub (JP voice / OP / ED preview here) too called Madou Soshi.

---> Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru & Zoku Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru : a very, very cute anime about cute boys who were originally swords doing very cute things. It's not really supposed to be taken seriously and there's not like a lot of deeply complex characters or dark stuff... it's just really heart-warming.

Akatsuki no Yona, IDOLiSH7, Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru franchise, and Mo Dao Zu Shi (Madou Soshi) are on the longer side in comparison to the others, with 24, 17, 24, and 23 episodes respectively, but I think they're all great shows that will still go by quickly as long as you enjoy them.

Last edited:
Seraph of the End — honestly, this is underrated. It is beautiful, a great storyline, great characters, and I believe you’d enjoy it.

Seven Deadly Sins — Honestly, this is a great medieval fantasy type anime about the Seven Deadly Sins.

Wolf’s Rain — another underrated anime in my opinion, it’s a great anime if you like wolves and angst.

Cells at Work — I love this anime so much, it basically shows you whatsoever going on inside your body with all of your cells.

Ghost Stories — watch this in English Dub and you won’t regret it. The English dub of this anime is hilarious as the original version failed in Japan. But the Eng Dub actors goofed off and basically had no direct script. They just turned a bad anime into a hilarious supernatural anime.

Ghost Hunt — if you’re into ghosts, I recommend this. It’s underrated and awesome, I highly recommend this.

HMMMMMMMmmmmmmm well in my opinion you cant go wrong with black butler, tokyo ghoul, death note, and toilet bound hanako-kun but you mightve already watched them maybe idk

As Diabolic Lovers was based on an otome game (basically a dating sim with male love interests), there are more anime of that category. Altho they usually involve spoilers for the games themselves~
Amnesia, Hakuoki, Dance with Devils, Touken Ranbu[It's based on a mobile one], IDOLISH7, Uta no Prince-sama, Code Realize, Brother's Conflict, Nil Admirari no Tenbin, Heart no Kuni no Alice-
Those are all the anime based on otome games I know, altho I would probably recommend playing some of them instead of watching, couse it's much better, as animes are kinda an advertisement for most of them lol.

If you want just a reverse harem not based on a game, then
Ouran High School Host Club and Akatsuki no Yona. Defenetly would reccomend those two, as I fell in love with them in the past.

I also have a list of just romance series without a harem involved if you also like those, but it's long, so lemmie know what kind of genres are you into xD

Last edited:
My personal faves are Noragami, A3!, Houseki no Kuni, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun, The Ancient Magus' Bride, IDOLiSH7, Beastars, and Argonavis from BanG Dream!
A3!, IDOLiSH7, and Argonavis are all based on games, so if you like their animes, I recommend giving their games a try! However, Argonavis' game has a planned release in January 2021, so there's no game to play just yet.
Houseki no Kuni and The Ancient Magus' Bride are both two animes I enjoyed watching, mainly because they're both so visually appealing and their soundtracks are amazing. They both only have one season so far, so if you'd like to get further into them, you'll have to read the manga.

I thought of a couple more! XD

The one is so stupid but really entertaining. Like I was shocked I enjoyed this considering what my normal anime fare consists of. It sits in that cute bizarro realm Flip Flaippers does and it was fun.

Anime girl butt robot controls are stupid as shit . . . but this anime was fun! XD

Late to the party, but here's my suggestions:

Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: Honestly, start with either. Either way, you get a complete story with phenomenal characters and themes although Brotherhood has a much better story as it follows the manga, while the original series went in it's own direction. Also the dub is really damn good.

Berserk (1997 adaptation and the Golden Age trilogy): While not a completely accurate version of the manga, both of these are absolutely incredible, with great directing and same as above, a phenomenal dub. It's a very dark story, exploring themes of human nature, destiny, causality, and purpose, all told with stunning artwork, and a great cast of characters, including the main character. I will warn you that it deals with incredibly dark themes, and even I think it goes overboard on the NSFW stuff a lot of the time. But getting past that, I highly recommend it. Just don't watch the 2016 version it sucks.

Haikyuu! : Honestly just a feel good anime. Good animation, lovable characters, and great music. And it got me interested in volleyball, which is a miracle.

Hey there! I'm Sammy and I want to know some good animes you recommend me to watch!

I've been kinda stuck rewatching Diabolik Lovers and would like to start watching different anime's! I don't get a whole lot of time to watch things, so I'd like to watch a series that isn't too long.

So comment your recommendations!
I recommend Sword art online and gun gale online

death note is always a safe bet. every time I’ve watched it I’ve found more connections to different concepts, lots of discussion points if you have a friend to chat to!
soul eater has really cool animation!

Steins;Gate - A group of college students (including a delusional, self-proclaimed "mad scientist" named Okabe Rintarou and a scientific prodigy named Makise Kurisu) turn a microwave into a time machine. This is my favorite anime, personally, since it's a rare time-travel plot that manages to be entirely self-consistent without sacrificing a complex plot. If you're into science, it even provides a sound theoretical explanation for how the time travel occurs. The romance is excellently developed over the course of the original series and Steins;Gate 0 (the sequel). Some disclaimers: the first 12 episodes are slow. If you can get through them being mediocre, the pay off is massive since you realize they were mediocre for a reason (and you actively wish you could go back to them lol). If you plan on watching Steins;Gate 0, there's a required viewing order for things to make sense. Chronologically the series goes S1 ep 1-23, stopping halfway through 23, then ep 23 beta divergence, then Steins;gate Zero, then the second half of ep 23-24.

Spice and Wolf - One of the most universally respected anime out there due to the excellent writing and development of the two main characters Holo and Lawrence. The premise is that Kraft Lawrence, a traveling merchant during a medieval time period, meets Holo, a wolf-deity who blessed the wheat harvests of a village for generations. Humanity's innovations meant that they could get good harvests without her, however, so she decides to travel alongside Lawrence back to her home village in the north. What follows is (in my opinion) the best written relationship in the entire medium. BONUS: This series has a far better dub than sub for native English speakers, which is a rarity.

Attack On Titan - S4 is dropping now, and I feel as if it's famous enough to be a given. Shows like Kabeneri of the Iron Fortress and Seraph of the End (while very entertaining shows, and ones I seriously enjoyed) are clones of this storyline and for good reason. S2 and S3 of the anime transformed it from an okay show to an instant classic, and showed that Isayama was seriously planning ahead. If you're looking for awesome action and don't have a weak stomach, this is the show for you.

Additional Series Absolutely Worth Watching: Akame ga Kill!, Toradora, The Quintessential Quintuplets, Yuru Camp, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, No Game No Life, Patema Inverted, Kimi no na Wa, Noragami, Your Lie in April, Demon Slayer, Kill la Kill, Konosuba, Kaguya-sama: Love is War, Bunny Girl Senpai, Love Chuunibyou and Other Delusions, Kyoukai no Kanata, Zankyou no Terror, Goblin Slayer (yes, the first episode is controversial, but it serves a valuable narrative purpose to get you to absolutely hate goblins), Yona of the Dawn, Snow White With The Red Hair, The Ancient Magus' Bride, Initial D, etc.

If you're fond of romance, you might enjoy Ah! My Goddess. It was animated a few different times but my favorite is the 2005 anime. The mangaka has a thing for vehicles and machines, and it shows.

Steins;Gate Don't do it the main character is the WORST ANIME PROTAG I HAVE EVER HAD TO WATCH. He is so infuriating, he is irrigating, insulting, self centered, unappealing, repulsive person who is MEANT TO BE YOUR PROXY INTO THE SHOW. He embodies that one shitty anime nerd you knew during high school that would go to anime club and yelled at you because you have a vagina, but also had the audacity to like anime and not be able to recite the entire cast of Naruto by heart. THAT IS WHAT THE MAIN CHARACTER IS TO ME HE MADE THE ENTIRE SHOW UNWATCHABLE.

The rest of the characters are fine, they're a bit bland, but there is nothing really wrong with them . . . but the main character is so terrible and you can't get away from him and the whole "mad scientist early 2000s misogynistic nightmare male character" doesn't hold up in 2021. All I wanted to do was punch a cartoon character watching that anime . . . my friend insisted on watching it because some anime dude on youtube raved endlessly about it and I hated every moment of it.

The concept of the show is interesting but the main character ruins anything that is remotely appealing about it. He is legitimately the worst piece of garbage.

[and scene]

Everyone reading this:
tenor.gif
"okay girl go off then, tell us how you really feel! XD"

Moriarty the Patriot. Came out last fall, it tells the story of a villain from the Sherlock Holmes stories, except now this "villain" is the protagonist and you get a view of events from his eyes.

I recommend it. Full of mystery, great quality art, interesting characters, and some clever detective work.

I recommend Talentless Nana, it just finished airing and I was following the show from when the second episode came out, I was really interested in it because it reminded me of Among Us which was very popular at the time when it came out.

Hello Sammy,

Here is a good mash of stuff I consider good or fun. I don't think any of them are too long. If you've seen it already, Bravo! Have fun checking them out, and I promise you'll enjoy even some that seem a genre separated from you!

Azumanga Daioh
Ancient Magus' Bride
Angelic Layer
Afro Samurai
Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade
Baccano
Black Butler
Birdy the Mighty
Black Lagoon
Excel Saga
Fairy Gone
FLCL