Idea WH40K Group: Can it even be done?

Murdergurl

will turn your insides into your outsides
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
SO, I've really been craving a Warhammer 40,000 group roleplay. And as I mentioned in another thread here, I've reached out to other places (including Discord groups) in search of somewhere that would support that kind of RP. I've even gone to other RP sites that are more focused on science fiction themes. But they are heavily geared for system RP, and I don't do systems.

I've just been met with a wall everywhere I go. Even if/when I get accepted into some of these places, I never actually get into any RPs. One reason is because people mostly do 1x1. The second reason (and I'm really not trying to sound full of myself) is that they don't really post in the style that I do. The responses they have with one another are like a paragraph... maybe two. But these are small paragraphs at best. And I feel like the multi-paragraph post style I have totally puts them off (But that's Discord for you). Anyhow, I digress...

I'm tentatively considering putting out some kind of advertisement here for a WH40K roleplay setting. However, I've been involved in WH40K group recruitments on RPN in the past. They NEVER get anywhere. I recall three specifically that either never started or started and immediately failed. I know the reasons why. Warhammer 40k is a vast universe. Tons of lore, with a very long timeline and lots and lots of factions with their own motivations. And pretty much the entire galaxy is at war. So, it's very difficult to actually get a group of people together who all want to be characters that can feasibly go off on a cooperative story together AND also caters to their character dynamic.

For those of you more familiar with the WH40K setting, I personally am not interested in Astartes or Guard, nor a Rogue Trader scenario. And the only Xenos group I'd even care to RP as would be Orks. For those of you who might have been in the failed startups on here with me, you'd know I'm more interested in an Iquisitorial/sororita narrative. Probably something with a retinue.

BUT, as I have said time and time again, I AM NOT going to GM a setting. I don't have the time or patience for it. I'd just be trying to get together some like-minded 40k enthusiast, and hope we could work out a setting I'd be willing to participate in. But in the same way that I'm looking for my niche interests, so do I expect everyone else to be looking for theirs. I've seen it not work on here already (multiple times), and there are familiar members that tend to pop up for it every time. So I know we are hopeful, but our interests simply do not align. And in other sites or Discord groups... it's actually LESS enthusiasm that I find for what I'm looking for because the meta is Imperium by Astartes or Guard. There is a little bit of deviation from that, but I've yet to encounter it in the way I'd want to participate.

So like.... should I bother? Is this just one of those cravings I'm never gonna get fulfilled?
(And before it gets suggested, let me say again that I do not like 1x1 RP)

Last edited:
i refreshed and saw "Debating gathering for warhammer group" change to "Can it even be done?" lol

anyway it might be able to be done, if you got like 2-3 other good people, warhammer is pretty popular as far as i'm aware

i refreshed and saw "Debating gathering for warhammer group" change to "Can it even be done?" lol

anyway it might be able to be done, if you got like 2-3 other good people, warhammer is pretty popular as far as i'm aware
It IS popular. Which is why I dont understand why Ive had such a hard time over the years in being able to find a good group RP that I want to be in. The ones that I find are all space marines or Guard for the most part. There have been a couple other ones that have at least been different from that, but for their own reasons also not something I wanted. There is a HUGE fandom. So I dont get why I cant find my RP corner for it. And all that, notwithstanding the damn thing actually getting out the gate

a lot of people probably like warhammer for the hyper military aspects of it
well, it is a tabletop wargame. But there is a vast collection of books written out of the setting, and a good chunk of them aren't all gung-ho battle crazy stuff. And I mean, there is only so much battlefield tactics that one can write in an RP before it gets redundant. I'd imagine that people would want to participate in a roleplay with their characters to actually... I dunno, develop them as characters? lol

the odds of finding someone else who likes the lore and stuff seem decently high

agreed in that military-centric RPs get old, i do like military aspects in plenty of things, but on its own, little bit bland

from my experience, the possibility of actually dying in a military-based RP (unless you're a total idiot on purpose) tends to be really low, because a lot of GMs/server owners/whatever shy away from actually killing characters or having anything bad happen to them, so the stakes are really low and you've just got a bunch of badasses around that effortlessly waste NPCs

Last edited:
the odds of finding someone else who likes the lore and stuff seem decently high

agreed in that military-centric RPs get old, i do like military aspects in plenty of things, but on its own, little bit bland

from my experience, the possibility of actually dying in a military-based RP (unless you're a total idiot on purpose) tends to be really low, because a lot of GMs/RP runners/whatever shy away from actually killing characters or having anything bad happen to them, so the stakes are really low and you've just got a bunch of badasses around that effortlessly waste NPCs
It's like every PC is a Schwarzenegger/Rambo analog and they just mow down the enemy in droves.... over, and over, and over.... #bigyawn

At least, thats the way a lot of Military RP enthusiasts picture their characters (from what I've seen). Everyone wants to be that spec ops badass with a highly decorated past and their unique skill in battle rose them to the esteemed (and probably clandestine) rank/title of (INSERT HERE).

It's like every PC is a Schwarzenegger/Rambo analog and they just mow down the enemy in droves.... over, and over, and over.... #bigyawn

At least, thats the way a lot of Military RP enthusiasts picture their characters (from what I've seen). Everyone wants to be that spec ops badass with a highly decorated past and their unique skill in battle rose them to the esteemed (and probably clandestine) rank/title of (INSERT HERE).
only takes being in a few RPs to realize that's one of the lamest character archetypes there is lol

just powergamer in RP form

only takes being in a few RPs to realize that's one of the lamest character archetypes there is lol

just powergamer in RP form
and then don't forget the add-on of becoming disenchanted with their role in the (army) and then leaving that career behind to pursue a life as a mercenary with other like-minded mercs. I lost count of how many times I've seen that one.

I tried to run an Imperial Guard Roleplay called "The Emperor Protects" and it fell apart almost immediately.

But count me as one of your WH40k community if you actually want to get a project off the ground. <3

I tried to run an Imperial Guard Roleplay called "The Emperor Protects" and it fell apart almost immediately.

But count me as one of your WH40k community if you actually want to get a project off the ground. <3
Well, I did wind up pitching it. So far, no takers. Here's the link, if you wanna take a look.

pff.. goddamn link to my character wasnt even working. That's how I know that no one has bothered to read it, otherwise SOMEone woulda said something. lmao

Well, I did wind up pitching it. So far, no takers. Here's the link, if you wanna take a look.

I can understand a little why this project might have trouble getting off the ground -- you don't want to run it, but you have a LOT of criteria that a GM would normally have control or take control of.

1) For one, You are anti-system. While not a certainty, Warhammer folk as a population are more system-loving group. Your perceived inflexibility on this point might scare potential GMs away, as mechanics are a primary means to control one's creation.

2) You are not only pretty narrow on what you want (ie - a Sister of Battle) but you have distinct ideas about what you want at least one other player to be (A strong inquisitor character) -- There really is so much lore and diversity in 40k and Sisters of Battle are pretty niche as far as who else they'd get along with. That puts strikes against this campaign before we even get started.

I for one love mechanics. and have a bunch of ideas for a 40k campaign, but you might not like where I am wanting to go as a GM.

Here are a handful of ideas:

1) A team of problem-solvers have been assembled under the authority of the inquisition -- by their mysterious patron by the name of "Max Endred" to locate and assassinate various traitors or suspicious people in positions of power throughout the imperium. Problem is... some of these targets seem to be heroes of humanity and their offenses not in any way obvious to the outside lens. Still, this high-authority entity in the inquisition wants them dead. Does the party simply follow orders, or try to dig deeper into the nature of the targets involved, or even riskier... seek out more information about their mysterious benefactor Max Endred, and see if their intentions are fully in the light of the emperor?

2) I've always wanted to run a Tau campaign where players are all young, low authority Tau or client races of the greater good. (Vespids, Kroot, or even lesser known or homebrew races of beings absorbed into the Tau empire) -- their mission? To approach new races and attempt to absorb them into the Tau empire as well, or at least establish beneficial trade and alliances with other races/forces in space.

3) A Campaign of powerful Imperium personalities (Sister of battle, Space Marine, Tech Priest, Assassin, Commissar, etc) that have been tasked with capturing live specimens of all and any races of Xenos for autopsy and dissection to learn potential weaknesses of said Xenos for the imperium. There is plenty of open battle against tyrannids an Necrons and Orks and the like... but a campaign around capturing and learning more about what races tick? I think that would be fun.

4) I know you disfavor them, but I LOVE imperial guard campaigns. Just so hopeless and bloody. Good fun.

5) An organization of Imperium heroes who realize there is a Genestealer Magus on a heavily populated Hiveworld. If the Magus finds out it's discovered, it will send a psychic scream that will bring a Tyrranid Hive-Fleet to feast on the world and all in it's path. The cult grows bigger and there are more genestealers evolving every single day -- and yet the heroes have to uncover, contain, and eliminate the scourge without permitting the Magus to understand it's cancer to the world is in jeopardy until it is too late. This could involve all sorts of imperial factions, Necromunda Gangs, or the Arbites as well as space marines and other more popular imperial heroes.

I could go on and on... but I think everybody needs to be flexible and be willing to step out of a rigid comfort zone to get something closer to what everybody wants.

I can understand a little why this project might have trouble getting off the ground -- you don't want to run it, but you have a LOT of criteria that a GM would normally have control or take control of.
I realize that. Like I said, I had joined a bunch of Discord group that were 40k fandom RP, in hopes of just finding that venture there. All I really needed was for someone to put out an RP request for something Inquisitorial, and I would probably have been able to latch on. I made my RP req not so much to try and rope in a GM and tell them what to do. But mor because these are the things I've been looking to find in order that I might actually enjoy an RP in WH40k flavor.

1) For one, You are anti-system. While not a certainty, Warhammer folk as a population are more system-loving group. Your perceived inflexibility on this point might scare potential GMs away, as mechanics are a primary means to control one's creation.
I am. I'm sorry, but I just HATE systems. I've given it a run a few times, but its a total buzzkill. Just the character creation process and assigning stats and all that is enough to make me lose motivation to participate.

2) You are not only pretty narrow on what you want (ie - a Sister of Battle) but you have distinct ideas about what you want at least one other player to be (A strong inquisitor character) -- There really is so much lore and diversity in 40k and Sisters of Battle are pretty niche as far as who else they'd get along with. That puts strikes against this campaign before we even get started.
To be honest, like most of my interests in the fandoms I like, my interest in Warhammer 40,000 is not a broad one. I don't like a whole lot of aspects. I'm especially not fond of the Space marines as a whole, and would rather give them a big, wide berth if at all possible. And I find guard to just be too mundane to really care about them. This is going to sound asinine, but I actually DON'T like military themed RPs. So my interest in the Iquisitorial sororita is enough of a deviation from that for me to express interest. Less of an on-the-battlefield-soldier theme, and more of the shadowy investigator. Other than that, I also like Orks... well, Gretchin, actually. I have a thig for goblins, and gretchin are their manifestation in WH40k. The Ork species as a whole is just over-the-top and near comical in their absurdist nature. I enjoy them because its a breath of fresh air in the grimdark.

and tbh, outside of that, I actually don't have a lot of interest in making any other kind of OC. Like, I'm really thinking about it, and no, I'm really not super interested in any other army/factions enough to play as one. against them? sure. But to have t get into their specific lore enough to RP as one... not really.

So back to my initial point, the reason my request is so specific, is simply because that's what I'm looking for. I've joined and unjoined in enough places that I thought I would find it by now. And even here on RPN, i was in a couple that kinda sorta loosely had a lace for my character. but for reasons already stated, they just didnt work out.

I for one love mechanics. and have a bunch of ideas for a 40k campaign, but you might not like where I am wanting to go as a GM.

Here are a handful of ideas:

1) A team of problem-solvers have been assembled under the authority of the inquisition -- by their mysterious patron by the name of "Max Endred" to locate and assassinate various traitors or suspicious people in positions of power throughout the imperium. Problem is... some of these targets seem to be heroes of humanity and their offenses not in any way obvious to the outside lens. Still, this high-authority entity in the inquisition wants them dead. Does the party simply follow orders, or try to dig deeper into the nature of the targets involved, or even riskier... seek out more information about their mysterious benefactor Max Endred, and see if their intentions are fully in the light of the emperor?
That doesn't sound too bad at all. I rather like it. Though it seems like it is geared to be a very long RP with a bunch of story arcs.

2) I've always wanted to run a Tau campaign where players are all young, low authority Tau or client races of the greater good. (Vespids, Kroot, or even lesser known or homebrew races of beings absorbed into the Tau empire) -- their mission? To approach new races and attempt to absorb them into the Tau empire as well, or at least establish beneficial trade and alliances with other races/forces in space.
No sorry, I really am not a Tau fan. they are a bit too anime-esque.

3) A Campaign of powerful Imperium personalities (Sister of battle, Space Marine, Tech Priest, Assassin, Commissar, etc) that have been tasked with capturing live specimens of all and any races of Xenos for autopsy and dissection to learn potential weaknesses of said Xenos for the imperium. There is plenty of open battle against tyrannids an Necrons and Orks and the like... but a campaign around capturing and learning more about what races tick? I think that would be fun.
This one sounds good too!

4) I know you disfavor them, but I LOVE imperial guard campaigns. Just so hopeless and bloody. Good fun.
IG seems to be a fan favorite. I run into peeps all the time that love the guard, and usually for the same reasons. But no. I'm just very much not into the guard because they are (to me) like the generic human army guys of 40k. Take away the lasgun and replace it with an m-16 and you pretty much just have a modern soldier.

5) An organization of Imperium heroes who realize there is a Genestealer Magus on a heavily populated Hiveworld. If the Magus finds out it's discovered, it will send a psychic scream that will bring a Tyrranid Hive-Fleet to feast on the world and all in it's path. The cult grows bigger and there are more genestealers evolving every single day -- and yet the heroes have to uncover, contain, and eliminate the scourge without permitting the Magus to understand it's cancer to the world is in jeopardy until it is too late. This could involve all sorts of imperial factions, Necromunda Gangs, or the Arbites as well as space marines and other more popular imperial heroes.
This one sounds alright as well

I could go on and on... but I think everybody needs to be flexible and be willing to step out of a rigid comfort zone to get something closer to what everybody wants.
I mean, I agree with that to an extent. But at the same time, you have to also be comfortable and satisfied with what you are getting yourself into, otherwise the motivation to contribute isn't really there. There was a convo I was recently in, on the RP pet peeves thread. And basically the gist of it, is that participants in an RP should be mostly up for the idea as it is laid out. Too much compromise will inevitably lead to drop outs or half-hearted participation because it has strayed too far from what you wanted.

If I still had the time (and patience) to GM, i would totally do it. But I don't. But just because I can't do that anymore, doesn't mean that my interests or how I want to participate in an RP is going to change. I'm not suddenly going to like Imprerial Guard, or want to attach myself in a battle of Space marines. If anything, I just drop the notion entirely and move on to something else. I'm kind of an all-or-nothing type of gal in that regard.

Last edited:
I have managed and seen a few sadly sone of the regulars of the rps are not doing them right now
yeah, I've seen your very determined attempts here, time and time again. ;-)

Murdergurl Murdergurl :

When I need Sororitas for an RP, I'll definitely look you up. If you like some of those campaign ideas... chances are one of them will manifest. <3

update: I have closed the WH40K request. Still in the mood for something in that vein. But I'm dropping the retinue idea for the time being. Might work on an Ork themed request if I can't get something going on other sites.

well, if you get something going. you can add my name to your list of names who is interested. I can really do anything in the 40K verse

Cadia stands sister. Just give us a call and the Guard will deal a blow that no foe can recover from. We are the Hammer of the Imperium, those who holdfast against the enemies of the Emperor. It is we who drive the truck, man the tanks, loads the Valkyries. It is we who kills and get killed. While officers make formal battle plans, it is us who executes. Without us there would be no Guard, and for that matter, there would be no Imperium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back