• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern We're All In This Together | Main

Characters
Here

apolla

❛ it's only love, nobody dies ❜
Beginning Setting

October
Current Year
Theater Room
Fall Showcase is in the horizon
But...
The members of the club can't get along.
So Mr. Schue comes up with an idea....
DUET CHALLENGES!!

n1p9br-imagesdaily.2011.0208.etheater08ripa3501a9gzm400binary304020.jpg

Last edited:
Emilia DeLuca
Princess
Emilia tugged her cardigan back over her shoulders as she stared at Mr. Schue, who seemed pretty satisfied with his announcement. A duet challenge wasn't a horrible idea, but was this really the time for that? They had a fall showcase to worry about! Not that anybody else had seemed particularly worried about it, besides her... but then, she always over-worried about everything performance. Maybe this would be nice for relaxation or something? Bring down her stress levels a little bit?

Yeah, right.

She glanced over at the guy who was supposed to be her partner for this. A.J. was his name, right? How the hell was she supposed to strike up a conversation with the guy, much less do a duet with him? They were from completely different worlds! But then... everybody in this room was from completely different worlds.

You can do this, Em, she told herself. You're just going to have to spend some extra time with a very attractive football player with the voice of a god. No big deal.

Were her knees wobbling as she walked over to him? Maybe. And was she about to stammer like no tomorrow? Most definitely. But she definitely had this.

"Um, hi? I guess we're partners for this thing. I hope that's alright with you," she said by way of greeting, hoping she didn't sound like too much of an idiot. With other performing arts students, she was just fine, but she was way too out of her element with an athlete. God, she was starting to doubt Mr. Schue's motives now. Why did he have to put her through the wringer like this?

Perching on a seat a few feet away from him but close enough that he could still hear her, she asked, "Uh... got any song ideas?"

Oh, this was going splendidly.

theater room.

nervous & excited.

outfit.

a.j. _amaranth_ _amaranth_
coded by natasha.

juliette
the shy girl
"If you don't hurry up, we're going to be late. You're the one who got me to join this stupid club, so come on, Romeo!" Throwing a pillow at her brothers still sleeping form, she huffed when all she got was a muffled groan from under his comforter. She continued to stare at him for a moment before an idea occurred to her. Of course, he'd hate her for it, but since when was her brother full of love and affection? She spun on her heel and left the room, returning a few minutes later with a large cup of ice water. "Last chance, Romeo. Get up or I will make you get up."

She heard his dry chuckle from underneath the blankets, and rolled her eyes. Stepping closer, she grabbed the blanket and yanked it back while simultaneously tilting the cup of water so that it, along with the ice cubes from the dispenser, fell right onto his face. He yelped in surprise, jumping up and scaring the shit out of her too, even though she'd known what was coming. He smacked the now empty cup from her hands, turning an angry gaze onto his younger sister even as his shirtless form shivered. "I fucking hate you, Jules. Fuck off."

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it before. Get dressed, idiot." With that, she didn't even bother picking up the cup as she turned again to leave the room. She was dressed and ready to go, but it still took him a good half an hour to get ready. She locked up their rented home as he went to start the car. Afraid he'd leave her for the stunt she pulled that morning, she hurried to the car and got in before he could do so. He blasted music on the way to the school, but she was used to that, so she just rolled down the window and rested her arm on the door.

Thankfully they were only a few minutes late to class, though Mr. Schue did give them the look as they entered the room. She quickly averted her gaze and went to sit in her usual chair, Romeo separating from her and slinking into a seat as far back as he could get away with. Jules had just pulled out her journal when Mr. Schue made his beginning of class announcement, her head jerking up when he mentioned partners. The blood drained from her face as she glanced at the others to see how they were taking the news. As she suspected, the reactions were mixed.

When she heard Mr. Schue say her name, her eyes snapped back to him, and then directly to Jullian. She knew of him, but hadn't really spoken to him much. But that was the case with just about everyone in this room. Mr. Schue let them go find their partners, but Jules just sat there for a moment, staring into nothing. Swallowing heavily, she finally forced herself to get up, clutching her journal to her chest as though it were her lifeline. Making her way over to him, she sat in a seat two seats down from him, the deer in headlights look still on her face. "Hi." She whispered, her eyes darting to him and then back at the floor.

theater
scared as hell
Jullian ( Hugh Flynn Hugh Flynn )
coded by natasha.

romeo
the loner
"Last chance, Romeo. Get up or I will make you get up."

Thomas Zabielski, better known as Romeo to just about everyone, couldn't help but let out a dark chuckle at his sisters empty threat. He might have even muttered something back, but with his body hidden under his thick comforter, she wouldn't hear it. And who knows, maybe he dreamed the whole thing. For all he knew, this entire thing was a dream and his sister wasn't actually in his room, and he was still asleep. The dark haired singer knew that he had responsibilities, but he'd stayed up a little too late with a lady friend, and he was tired, damn it.

His idea that the situation was a dream came to an end when Jules suddenly ripped his blanket away, dumping fucking ice cold water on his head at the same time. He shot up like a light, knocking the cup out of her hands. Honestly, she was lucky he hadn't knocked her lights out instead. "I fucking hate you, Jules. Fuck off." Shivering, he stood, ignoring her response as she backed out of the room. He slammed the door shut when she was gone, turning to look at his soaked sheets. Moving closer to the bed, he tore the sheets off and threw them on the floor.

Even though he knew Jules was ready to go, he took his time showering and getting dressed and ready to go. Once they were outside, he headed straight to the car, having half a mind to leave her ass in the driveway. Before he could decide, she slid into the passenger seat. Wanting to avoid talking to her, he turned the music up and rolled down the windows, thankful that she took the hint and remained quiet. Even once they reached the school, he said nothing to her as they headed inside, separating once they reached the theater to go to their respective seats.

Throwing his legs up and over the seat in front of him, he leaned back, lacing his fingers together behind his head as Mr. Schue announced the pairings. "Fabulous." He muttered, his eyes sliding over to Ash, his partner. He let his eyes roam over her body as he sat there in his seat. When she looked his way, he winked at her and patted the seat beside him, not keen on going towards the front where she sat. To be honest, he wasn't keen on the project idea at all, but there were worse partners he could get. "You coming to join me, cheerleader?"

theater
cocky
Ash ( _amaranth_ _amaranth_ )
coded by natasha.

marco | the modern da vinci
_____________________________​

The chatter of college students walking through campus barely registered on Marco's radar as he drifted stiffly towards the theatre room. His usually furrowed brow was tenser than usual, but his eyes were uncharacteristically glazed, and his jaw slightly slack, almost agape. Many people didn't really know how to read the subtle shifts in his standard poker face, but anyone who knew him well (in this case being more hypothetical than actual) would recognise that this was a Marco who had just had his world turned upside down.

What did I just witness?

Marco was someone who liked to have a routine. A game plan. Before rehearsals, he would take a collection of sheet music for the songs that they were covering in glee club to his favourite cafe and look through them while sitting in his usual spot - a table for two next to the window, furthest from the door but closest to the worn upright piano that stood up against the far wall. He would be accompanied by a cup of the cafe's signature coffee blend - one of the main reasons why he was so fond of this particular establishment. The staff also did not complain when he needed to try some notes on the piano. He would look over the music, drink his coffee, and take an opportunity to relax before heading to the theatre. That was his routine. It was a good routine.

What purpose could that have possibly served? Was it a simple question of sheer ignorance? Was it some kind of declaration of psychological war?

Today, he had gone about that same routine as usual. However, the cafe on this occasion was unusually busy. Some special event or promotion, he wasn't sure of the details, but in any case, he barely managed to snatch his usual spot before it was taken by some other predatory customer. He was about to settle down into his normal pattern when suddenly, he was joined by an unexpected companion - a club member with whom he had rarely interacted ('rarely' here being 'they might have stood in a lunch queue together once'). Even more unexpectedly, they chose from the menu the exact coffee which he himself regularly chose. Marco could not help but feel pleased on behalf of this underclassman's good taste in coffee, and when they became flustered by the price, he felt it his obligation as his club senior to offer to pay so that they would not be deprived of the wonderful experience of the cafe's famous blend. How could he have predicted the shocking scene that would follow?

What kind of monstrous deviation from coherent thought would it take to do such a thing? Is he perhaps some kind of psychopath?

Even as he walked through the doors of the theatre room, and the calming scent of the plush velvet seats filled his nostrils, he was still not quite able to resolve the act of utter anarchy which had unfolded at that coffee table. Even if someone wanted to express their total disdain for another human's existence, he thought that it was unnecessarily extreme. As such, the moment he took his seat next to AJ, he could not prevent himself from unloading this pent up hurt to his friend.

‘Arthur,’ he said while staring dead ahead. ‘I've just witnessed a crime.’

And it was true. After all, what other word could describe what had been done to that poor cup of coffee?

The amount of sugar he poured into that cup committed nothing short of murder on the coffee's subtle flavours. The rich fruity aftertaste. The distinct floral notes. They didn't stand a chance. And the milk - oh my word, the amount of milk. Not even steamed. The coffee would have barely made the mark for 'lukewarm'. What kind of unspeakable drink was that? Coffee-flavoured baby milk for the rebellious newborn?

Mr Shuelke was explaining the next challenge, but Marco barely registered what he was saying. Something about a duet.

...Wait, what?

Marco's ears sharpened as he re-allocated his full attention to what was being said. A challenge where they would be paired up to do a duet with another member of the club, as a way of getting to know one another. His face gave nothing away, but inside, he was already arranging potential duets in the perfect key for a certain female member of the club who was in his humble opinion by far the most talented in the room and had nothing to do with the fact that the two of them just happened to share a loose and minor connection of the familial nature.

That last thought was accompanied by less-than-happy realisation: Ah. Our connection is loose and minor. That makes me sad.

Mr Schue flipped over a page in his notebook as he began reading the list of pairs. 'So for starters, Emilia...'

But duets! With Emilia! That's something to be happy about-

'... will be paired with AJ.'

Justice is dead.

The music teacher went on to pair off the others, but Marco simply turned accusingly to AJ and intoned, ‘You are everything wrong with the world today.’

'And finally, that leaves Marco with Laurel,'
finished Mr Schue with a flourish of his pencil. 'Why don't you show the new girl the ropes?'

Tearing his gaze (which had seen betrayal twice today) from AJ-the-friend-turned-Fifth-Horseman-of-the-Apocalypse, he looked over to the individual their supervisor was pointing to, and saw a pair of slightly sleepy blue eyes peeking through a curtain of dirty blonde hair.

... New girl?

mentions
Jullian | Hugh Flynn Hugh Flynn
AJ | _amaranth_ _amaranth_
Emilia | AnimeGenork AnimeGenork
Laurel | Desert_Blossom Desert_Blossom

Last edited:

“Don’t forget, there’s practice in the afternoon. And the coach is going to choose the new head girl so I suggest you come on time if you want to make it.”

Ash rolled her eyes and stopped in her pace, turning to the girl on her right, dressed in the matching uniform. “Look Sadie. I know what to do, okay? I’ve been waiting for this moment for years and worked by ass off. Even joined the los---glee club Don’t you think for a second I’m going to miss my big moment, okay?” she snapped and threw her hair back. “This is my year and I’m going to end up on top of that pyramid.” she smirked and held her hand out to the left. A girl standing there rushed to put a matte red lipstick there and Ash applied one more layer on her plush lips before taking a deep breath. “I’ll see you after class, maybe you can go and get my coffee by that time?”

The question was not exactly a question and the girl knew it very well, scattering away while Ash herself strutted right to the glee class. She was not exactly thrilled to be there but if she wanted to stay on the squad, she had to join. Bullshit, she knew. But the redhead was willing to do anything to end up on top. And if it meant to stay in one room with the music geeks, so be the hell it. After all, she had a great voice too and proved it several times already. After all, she was Ash Davenport, the full package.

There were a few people already in the room when she entered, a smug smile plastered on her face. Her seat was already reserved for her since Laurel was in class. “Morning, lovely.” Ash chirped and elegantly plopped down on the chair, crossing her legs like a proper lady. Mr. Schue didn’t really waste any time announcing the topic and Ash, who was totally hoping for a solo that week (well, duuh! Since she was here, she could at least make the most of it, right?) almost fainted. Duets? Okay, that was one thing. But then he announced her duet partner and her eyes went wide. “He’s trying to kill me.” she muttered under her breath and looked around to see him.

The smug ass he was, Romeo winked at her and tapped the chair by his side which made Ash just huff in annoyance. “Any problem, Ash?” Mr. Schue asked, approaching her and Ash just looked at him, faked a smile and stood up, grabbing her bag. “Hello, Thomas.” she spoke in the sweetest voice she could muster and sat, offering even more fake smile that the one from a few second before. This week was definitely going to be a hell. Whoever would be better, even that tiny dwarf Juliet. But fucking figures. Ash simply had to end up with this guy. “Just so we’re clear, I’m gonna choose a song for us because I don’t trust your garbage taste, are we clear?”

the cheerleader

Ash.

♡coded by uxie♡

Walking in the music room was always a weird feeling for AJ. He felt like he didn’t belong there. His varsity jacket stuck under his arm, the boy walked in the room as always, munching on a bagel he had gotten on his way to school and clutching a juice box in his ither hand. Breakfast of champions they call it. “Mownin’, Mw. Fu---” he announced with his mouth overstuffed with the bagel, making his way to the usual seat he always occupied. New week, new theme they say and AJ was wondering what was going to happen today.

His backpack landed under the chair and the football player landed on it, stuffing his mouth with the pastry. He set it down for a while only to stick a small straw into the opening of his apple juice and slurped loudly. He was an epitome of decorum for sure. Only the evil eye from the teacher stopped his cheerful chewing and AJ looked up, swallowed all he had in his mouth and pursed his lips. “Is there something wrong?” he asked, his British accent beautifully protruding. Some people lose it once they move to the States. But AJ always carried this little piece of home with him.

There was no need to say anything. The young Brit understood he was totally pigging out and flashed a guilty look at his breakfast. He was about to continue, proving that he had some of those British manners when Marco arrived and took a seat next to him. AJ just opened his mouth to greet him when Marco started, stating his first sentence in the class. First, he was the only one to call AJ Arthur. Besides his father, of course, but that didn’t really count. And then, a crime? Wait, he needed to know more. But Mr. Schue started to talk and AJ had to tuck his question for later.

The idea of duets excited the boy. It was finally something else, no tiring solos and people fighting over the lead. Team work. That was something he was familiar with alright. And when his partner was announced, he grinned. And then Marco turned to him only to tell him he was everything that was wrong with the world? Wait, what was the crime? AJ’s existence? Not cool, brother. Not cool. But Emilia was already making her way towards them and so AJ just turned at his best friend and fist bumped his arm. “No worries, I’ll take the best care of her.” He winked and then turned all his attention to the gorgeous brunette.

“Hey, doll.” AJ offered the most charming of smiles to her and leaned against the chair, his back on Marco. “Of course, it’s alright. You’re amazing singer, don’t tell me you don’t know it. And nah, not just yet. But I’m sure we can figure something out together. So…are we thinking a dance number? Some flashy Broadway? A ballad? Something funky? I’m a jack of all trades, just pick your poison.”

the jock

AJ.

♡coded by uxie♡

Laurel Willows

One hour. While doing something enjoyable, an hour doesn’t seem like much time at all. Yet when faced with having to kill an hour, those 60 minutes seem to stretch beyond the physics of time. At least that’s how it felt to Laurel as she checked the clock on her phone for the seventh time in just as many minutes. Popping another skittle into her mouth, Laurel resumed her search for something to do as she walked across campus, slowly making her way towards the music room.

Laurel would have much rather been in bed still at this hour, but if she wanted a ride to campus with her neighbor, it required her to arrive to campus an hour earlier than necessary. And while she was thankful she didn’t need to take the city bus, Laurel was not thrilled that she now had to find a way to fill 53- no, wait- 52 minutes before Glee Club. Three more skittles were popped into her mouth as the dirty blonde took a seat in the grass under one of the trees in the courtyard.

The autumn air was a little cool, but it was sunny out and perfect napping weather. Untying the flannel around her waist, she draped it over her shoulders and leaned back against the tree trunk. If she would have been sleeping now anyways, she might as well catch a few extra zzz’s here. Closing her eyes, Laurel’s desire for a nap suddenly flipped a switch on that pesky physics of time, and as she went from killing time to doing something she enjoyed, time suddenly sped up.

Before Laurel knew it, her phone alarm was going off and she was rubbing the sleep out of her eyes as she made her way to the music room. Stifling a yawn as she entered the small auditorium, Laurel found a seat and habitually set her bag on the one beside it to save for Ash. The cheerleader had become her closest friend in the Glee Club so far, and while she was a bit over the top in some manners, Laurel didn’t mind. She’d happily save a seat for Ash and let the confident redhead take charge. Speaking of which...

Laurel picked her bag up off the seat only moments later as Ash breezed into the room. “Morning!” The blonde smiled, stretching a little as a few more skittles were tossed in her mouth. She extended the bag to Ash to offer her some candy, but Mr. Schue’s announcement about the duet assignment cut through the room and got the meeting started quickly.

Of all the people in Glee Club, Mr. Schue had paired Laurel with the one person she wasn’t on friendly terms with. Marco DeLuca. Typically Laurel had no problem interacting with people she didn’t know well, but Marco was an exception to the rule. Laurel wasn’t even sure if she registered on the serious, dark haired man’s radar, since all her previous attempts at pleasantries or small talk with him had been ignored or answered with monosyllabic responses. And now...

Laurel’s stomach did a somersault as she looked over and caught Marco’s eyes, feeling already like she was being summed up and judged. Ash muttered something about Mr. Schue trying to kill her by pairing her up with Romeo, and Laurel felt similarly. He was at least trying to kill her confidence, Laurel thought as she gathered herself. If she had to work with Marco, she’d at least give being his friend one more shot. With a deep breath and minor pep talk, Laurel walked over to where Marco sat, figuring it was better to face this head on.

“Hey,” Laurel greeted, offering a smile and doing her best to seem cheerful. “Ugh, sorry you got stuck showing me the ropes... But, um, do you want to find a better spot to work?” She asked, glancing at AJ and Emilia who were right next to them. Laurel was trying her best not to incorrectly read too much into Marco’s indiscernible expression, but she felt like he’d rather have been paired with either of the two glee members beside them over her. Hell, she would have too, so could she really blame him? At least they might have one thing in common...

Nervous

Music Room

Andei Andei -Marco _amaranth_ _amaranth_ -Ash

nine lives

Jullian Aevitas

mood: positively sugar-charged and giddy

outfit: add the glasses akwjdsawoid

interactions: juliette

tags: apolla apolla

The satisfying fizz of a whipped cream can caroused Jullian's ears as fluffy clouds materialized in his mouth. God, I hope the genius mind behind cloud cans is living the best life. he thought to himself, prancing down the halls leading to the theater. Earlier this morning, he was in the foodie mood, so instead of having breakfast at home, he decided to take a small stomach quest while checking the local stores for restocks. Thankfully for him, the grocery store situated near the school had just stocked back up on whipped cream cans, and Lian spent every last dollar he had on emptying their shelves.

As for his foody mood, he was just exiting the shop with a paper bag full of cloud cans when he spotted a coffeehouse a short walk down the block. Right then and there, the internal chains keeping his impulses from seeing daylight snapped, causing his impulsivity to galvanize the nineteener into queuing up for a cup of coffee. Lian immediately started bolting for the cafe, simultaneously trying his best to shove his cloud cans into his backpack, eager for a good cuppa coffee.

Upon entering the fine coffee-serving establishment, Lian found himself shoved into the absolute hustle and bustle of what he assumed was rush hour. Since when did this place get rush hour... Admittedly, it wasn't a very nice thought from him but he was ready to kill for a cuppa coffee. The thoughts that he should've been having like, Hey, do I have any cash left to actually get coffee? and You're in line for coffee when you should be in school. were nowhere to be seen. All the thoughts that occupied Lian's head at that time were cUPpa cOFfEe. cUpPa coFFEe. and cloud cans hooray.

A few minutes later, the sophomore finds himself sharing seats with an upperclassman, one that he recognizes from glee club even. Eager to impress, Lian eeny-meeny-miny-moed a fancy cuppa coffee, completely oblivious to two things. One, his wallet was devoid of cash. Two, this fancy cuppa coffee was damn pricey. "My bad, dude, should've checked if I had cash. I'll pay ya back the minute I hit up an ATM," he remembered saying. Much wasn't said afterward, Lian did his normal thing of counting to 50 while pouring the milk, and counting 50 when adding the sugar. Ya can't go wrong with sweet, my friend. Ya can't go wrong at all. The minute he perfected his little milky masterpiece, he dumped the whole thing into a to-go cup as the thought of school FINALLY came back into his mindspace.

A few hours later, Lian finally makes it to school, having made a few pitstops along the way. Does he care that he missed a few classes? No, not really. Actually, not at all. If it meant that he could fully restock his backpack and his stashes at school... a few angry teachers and pissed off groupmates in projects would be just the tip of the sacrificial iceberg. He even got to take a dive in the Plush Pool's plush pool! (i-its a stuffed toy shop) All that matters is that he makes it to glee club. Now that he's here... back to reality.

With milky-white coffee cup in one hand and whipped cream can in the other, Lian bounced across the theater hall to his sound station, plopping down both his snackables on his workplace before fumbling with his backpack. With all the food he has in his bag, it made it nearly impossible to bring out his non-food items. You'd think that I would be able to pull out my laptop easily, seeing as I can magically produce the exact food I'm looking for in a jiff, but noooooo... this pack's gotta be difficult.

"Duet challenges!"

Lian's head immediately cocked upright, slamming into the table above him with a hilarious thunk, followed by an embarrassed "I'm good, I'm good." Oh my god, duet challenges. This means- I HAVE to participate. Ohhh no. Now, everyone would tell Lian that he had a great singing voice to accompany his dancing skills, but he, like most people, thought his own voice sounded like nails down a blackboard. As the nineteener sat lost in thought, little did he know a shy girl was creeping up to him.

"Hi." came the tiny peeping voice.

Like a piece out of a comedy show, Lian once again forgot about the very solid table that hovered above, slamming his poor head into the metal for a second time. "AGH- Godammit. I'm fine, I'm fine. Just gimme a sec-" If you asked him right then what he was doing, he'd say he was looking for his laptop, but only he knew that his hand was already on the laptop. He was just stalling to allow his face to un-flush. A minute later, Lian's bright countenance popped back into existence once more to greet his fellow clubmate.

"Oh it's Miss Shakespeare~! I'm honored to be your partner." he chimed, registering the person that sat by him as Romeo's sister. "I'm sure you've mentioned your name before but my brain seems to be quite lacking in juice." To demonstrate his point, he snatches the coffee cup and takes a sip, raising it beforehand in some form of toast. "Mmmm, liquid heaven. Alright!" he exclaimed as he pulled out his laptop and got up to take a seat next to his duettist.

"Alright Miss Speare, got any songs in mind? I'm down for anything. I-I can call you that, right? I'll stop if you gimme somethin' to call ya by." The brunet spoke in a way similar to that of a machine gun with no intention of slowing down. "I will, however, apologize in advance if I screw up vocally. I don't care what people say, I have one of if not the worst singing voices out there. I only joined because the sound tech role was open..." His voice trailed off, realizing he was rambling on again with no regard for his partner. "Oh god, I'm sorry, I'm talking way too fast again. Here, let me make it up to you." Lian reached down under his seat and pulled out a roll of Smarties, seemingly from nowhere. "Here ya go! Now, from the top but slower... You got any suggestions for me?" he smirked, holding out the candy.

coded by weldherwings.

juliette
the shy girl
A duet challenge was not an ideal project for Jules, and she knew that Mr. Schue had to know that. She'd been in this club for well over a year now, and sure she wasn't a Mariah Carey or a Whitney Houston, but he'd accepted her in nonetheless. Jules was content to write her poetry and lyrics in her little journal and sing as a part of a group, but duet challenges were a little too intimate for the blonde. Gathering her things and making her way over to Jullian took alot, and she could feel the knots in her stomach tightening the closer she got to him. Still, she was the first to greet him with a small hi, though her eyes widened and a small gasp escaped her as his head slammed into the hard desk for the second time.

"Are you-?" Her tiny voice was drowned out as he was quick to let out a curse, stating afterwards that he was fine, to just give him a second. She pursed her lips as she sat there, waiting, his head popping up a moment later. She offered him a small smile, both in greeting and in response to his name for her as he grabbed his coffee cup to take a sip. "Juliette." She responded softly, tensing slightly when he plopped in the seat next to her, laptop in hand. "Or Jules." She felt her face flush at his spewing of words; no one had really talked this much to her, or vice versa. "Though I guess Miss Speare has a nice ring to it."

He kept going though, speaking almost as though she hadn't at all. She couldn't shake the deer in headlights look, not even as he paused to reach under the seat, grabbing a roll of smarties and presenting them to her like they were the best present ever. Tentatively, her hand reached out to take the candy. "Do you just have candy taped under the seats?" She asked, surprising even herself with the teasing tone in her voice. Lowering her hands as he asked if she had a song in mind, she looked thoughtful for a moment, considering his words before she answered.

"Do you know this song?" She reached for her phone, tapping it a few times before finding youtube. Quickly writing the name of the song in the search bar, she pulled up the video she wanted and turned the screen so he could see it. "Or even..." Before he had a chance to inspect the song, she'd turned the phone back to herself and typed in another one, pulling it up to show him this one instead. "They both have pretty powerful lyrics, and we could definitely make them our own." There was a glimmer of excitement in her eyes as she showed him the songs, an excitement that few people saw. Lowering her phone a moment later, she flushed with embarrassment, averting her gaze. "Or if you had any ideas, we could do that, too."

theater
embarrassed
coded by natasha.

romeo
the loner
Romeo's reputation preceded him pretty much anywhere he went. He was the guy who never really had any real friends, definitely never a steady girlfriend, and if they knew him even a little bit they'd know he had that weird, quiet little sister. He never bothered to correct the misconceptions about himself, either, because what did it matter? He just wanted to graduate and get the hell out of here so he could focus on his own music career. He didn't even really want to bother with college, but he had a feeling that he might have a better chance of making it big if he had some music experience. Hence the glee club.

A duet challenge was just the icing on the cake for him. He grinned at Ash as she stared at him, a look of disbelief and horror on her face. She approached him and that smug grin remained on his face until she dropped her greeting, using that name that he hated so much. "Ugh. Hello to you too, Ashlynn." He rolled his eyes, removing his feet from the chair in front of him and leaning forward. "Just to be clear, Ashlynn, I'm not one of your lackeys you can push around." His eyes drifted to Laurel as though he were making a point before he looked back at the cheerleader.

His smug grin returned as he looked her up and down, his eyes lingering appreciatively on the short pleated skirt. "You look good, though, you know. Even though your skirt would look better on my floor." Winking at her, he leaned back in his seat, pulling his phone from his pocket and flicking through it. "I do have some song ideas, just so you know, and you're going to listen to them whether you like it or not. You're not Queen of the Theater, Ash." He found the song he wanted and turned his phone around so she could see it, waving it in front of her face.

"You wanna listen now, or did you wanna play your cheerio pop songs first?" He looked at her from behind his phone, a smirk tugging at his lips as he sat there, very relaxed in the theater seat. "Sit, Ash, jesus. You're making me nervous hovering over me like that." Lowering his phone but keeping the song on the screen, he patted his lap. "There's a seat right here for you, if you're interested."

theater
cocky
coded by natasha.

Emilia DeLuca
Princess
Emilia was at a loss for words.

This was not a surprise, of course, as words themselves were not exactly her specialty (unless they were sung), but it was embarrassing, nonetheless. But the moment A.J. uttered the word doll, she froze, instinctively trying to figure out why he was calling her that. It was just a greeting, right? RIGHT? Yes, of course it was. Of course there was nothing special about that. Phew. Yes. She could make it through this. He was just good friends with her brother. Which meant he probably knew all about how she would toddle around without pants when she was really young--

Oh, God.

Her brain had just barely learned to function again when he was saying that she had an amazing voice. A pleased blush spread across her face, as she already knew that but loved hearing it said, all the same. "You have a wonderful voice yourself," she said, giving him a small smile and perching on a seat not far from him. "I don't really have any ideas, to be honest... but would you be up for something acoustic?" Emilia offered, her brain sifting through her mental collection of songs they could do. But none seemed quite right for their voices together. Hnnngh. This would be hard. Mr. Schue certainly knew how to challenge her, didn't he?

"Or... maybe not," she mumbled, wringing her hands. "Unless I wrote something, I don't think there's anything acoustic that would quite fit us. Sorry about that..." Her gaze darted around the room, not wanting to embarrass herself further by looking him in the eye. Oh, God, why couldn't she have been paired with someone else??

theater room.

a hot mess, tbh.

outfit.

a.j. _amaranth_ _amaranth_
coded by natasha.

The fact that she was stuck with Romeo for the rest of her week totally spoiled Ash’s mood. Just that one sentence Mr. Schue uttered when announcing the two of them as partners wiped away any smile she might have been sporting. Her mind immediately ran to the moment she made the biggest mistake in her life. Granted, she was drunk out of her mind when she slept with him, it was the only reason that happened but still, he never failed to remind her what she did. Safe to say, those two were polar opposites and this duet was either going to be a bomb or a total disaster.

Just as she approached, he already had mouth full of shit. And was the only one to use her full name. Not that she was against it, minded it certainly less than he hated being called Thomas, name Ash vicariously exploited on every occasion. It was the other stuff she was rolling her eyes over so hard it hurt. “No, you’re not one of my lackeys, Thomas. You would never make it that high.” she offered a pitiful expression on her face and was about to sit when he started yet another of his rants, thinking how witty those remarks were. “Yeah, we both saw that picture already. Not very impressive. Thank god I was drunk as hell, things seemed…hmm…bigger at that point.” Ash shrugged and watched him pull his phone out.

As he told her he had some song ideas as well and told her she wasn’t the Queen of the Theater, Ash just scoffed. Clearly, the two had other ideas about this matter but there was no point in trying to explain it to this guy. “Oh yeah? So what are we singing? The Funeral March?” the girl hissed, crossing her arms on the chest, doubting he could ever come up with a song that was going to fit them both. He already drew a song up on his phone when his seat offer came and the look on Ash’s face spoke more than thousand words.

“Wouldn’t touch you with a ten foot pole.” she chirped and set her bag, filled with books, in his lap instead, dropping it hard enough to hopefully make him at least huff. Only then she folded her athletic frame on the chair next to him and took the phone from his hand. “Ugh. I already want to kill myself.” Ash grumbled and turned the song off to put her own on. “There is only one song the two of us can do that will showcase both of us. Here. Educate yourself, you troll.” she returned the phone to him with a song of her choice already playing. “Even you should be able to dance to that.”

the cheerleader

Ash.

• filler tab!

♡coded by uxie♡

There were a lot of things AJ was and then also wasn’t. He was a flawed human being and the guy knew it. But one of those things he managed to be was a guy who could see when something was wrong. After all, it was one of the things, at least he thought so, that brought him together with his best friend Marco. The guy had his own quirks and sometimes AJ even wondered how on earth they were able to be thick as thieves but then, it was probably one of those universe mysteries humans would never understand. All in all, it was safe to say that AJ totally noticed when Emilia froze after his words. Well, there was this family resemblance for sure.

Trying to ease them into that talk, which was not exactly easy since the boy had his mouth full of bagel again, he lifted his left index finger to indicate Emilia to hold on a second and stuck the bagel between his teeth while trying to reach his bag. There was one more juice boy he was saving for after practice but it seemed it was going to be put to a good use her. With a bagel-muffled “a-ha”, he pulled it out and presented it to Emilia as the perfect gift. After finally freeing his mouth, he set his pastry aside and took his own juice box. “Let’s toast to the successful collaboration, shall we? The British way and all that, you know.” he grinned, making stuff up as he went.

Only then he reacted to her previous words. ‘Acoustic’ kind of stuck to him as she said it and AJ nodded in understanding. But the gorgeous brunette already trailed off as if her own thoughts were creating that dialogue of Emilia with herself. It put a soft smile on his face for sure as he sucked on that small straw while listening. “Okay, look, look. All good. I like acoustic. That’s a pretty solid idea.” he spoke, setting all of his refreshments aside finally. His hands covered hers as if in a calming gesture. “Just breathe, eh? We can figure this out and will totally do something bloody amazing.” he winked and pulled his hands away after feeling she stopped meddling with her. Didn’t want anyone, mostly Emilia, to get a wrong picture.

“Okay, this song came to mind honestly. I’ll play it for you and you tell me what you think.” AJ shrugged and reached for his phone. His thumbs started to run across the screen like crazy and shortly after, he had the song up and playing. “This could work nicely between us, what do you think?” he showed Emilia and let the soft tones on Hailee’s voice linger in the air for Emilia to form an opinion.

the jock

AJ.

♡coded by uxie♡

Jullian Aevitas

Jullian Aevitas' face lit up like a firefly the moment the Smarties roll was lifted off his fingers. It was an absolute joy to him when his little gifts were accepted, even better when his sweet treats spark a little happiness, even just for a little moment. Juliette... a.k.a Jules. What a pretty name~ the male thought, before being jolted back to reality.

"Do you just have candy taped under the seats?"

The question had some underlying teasing tones, a queer subtlety Lian was not expecting from such a closed-off lass. Leaning back in his chair, her tease caught him so off guard, the machine gun in his mouth seemed to no longer function. He sat there, dazed, before finally letting loose a caramel-like chuckle as ammo started to feed back into his metaphorical gun.

"Wha- Miss Speare! No, no. Miss Tease! No, no, no... Aha! Miss Teaspeare! pFFFFT. That's a horrible nickname, Jules is a much cuter nickname. But really, I was not expecting that from you! Don't take that in a bad way, it's refreshing, exciting even! You must be an absolute riot under the right circumstances, huh? But no Miss Teaspeare, I do not tape candy underneath seats. I just have my own little pocket dimension in which I store endless mounds of treats." Lian rapid fired, an ear-to-ear grin on his face.

His eyes trained onto her attentively, trying to give Jules his utmost attention. He doesn't mean to have such a short attention span, but his duties as the techie encroached on his mindspace. After all, duet challenges either meant they were singing unaided by mics, or they were singing with technical aid. And for the life of all that is good, Lian just could not remember if he left the soundboard in tip-top shape last time he was here...

Wait... Did I reset the sliders or are they still the s-

His thoughts were once again the cause of his zoning out, but this time the culprit that brought him back was none other than the familiar, tear-jerking lyrics of one of his all-time favorite songs, Say Something. Channeling the inner drama kid in him, he faked some tears.

"Huhuhuhu it's- it's beautiful. I'm all in for that second one. Nothing trumps that in my book. A Great Big World is just my all-time favorite band. You have impeccable music taste, my notebook-toting friend," he complimented his fellow club member, an innocent, genuine smile beaming on his face, "You simply must allow me to explore your music playlists someday, even if it takes me an entire school year to do so. After seeing Say Something on there, I'm absolutely sure you've got other top-notch bangers up your alley as well!"

coded by weldherwings.

The heavy intake of breath and slight flutter of the lips wasn't missed by Marco's sharp eyes as Laurel approached him. The lips that had looked as if they were muttering something were pulled into an almost-successful smile as she spoke, and several alarm bells (and a random wind chime for some reason) started ringing in his head.

Oh that didn't look good. That looked like a massive sigh. Was it a 'I don't want to do this stupid duet challenge' kind of sigh or a 'I hate Italians but I need to control myself because racism is not cool in today's society' kind of sigh? Both would be kind of sad. Do I still count as Italian if I'm Italian-American? I think Grandpa was from Ventimiglia, which is basically in France... oh, would it help if I speak French? Is Franco-Italian-American a thing? It sounds like a new way to ruin coffee. Ugh, now I'm reminded of what happened earlier with that horrible sugar-ccino travesty.

“Hey,” Laurel greeted, offering a smile and doing her best to seem cheerful.

As his bitter memory of that not-nearly-bitter-enough coffee was interrupted by Laurel's greeting, his mind had to quickly recalibrate itself to deal with the alarming notion of imminent social interaction with the pair of big blue eyes in front of him. The complex communicative protocols established over the course of the long and illustrious history of exchanging greetings among human beings demanded that he reply with a greeting of his own at the appropriate degree of formality, as dictated by the level of intimacy between the two communicants.

For Marco, every step in this process was a disaster.

'Hey' is way too casual. Wait, does that mean she thinks we're on friendly terms? I won't lie, that makes me super happy. Oh, but is it too much to say 'hey' back? I don't want to creep her out. If I creep her out, that would be make me sad. Like, super-sad. I would write a sad song about being sad. Maybe I should just say 'hello'... or is that too formal? I don't want to assume friendship if we're not friends. Or maybe this is one of those moments where I need to just... seize the moment? 'Carpe diem' and all that? Although 'seize the moment' would be 'carpe momentum', but that extra syllable doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely.

His thoughts raced with growing desperation as he felt the window for him to respond to Laurel's greeting slipping away. I need to say something quick, the moment's about to pass. What would that backstab- I mean, my friend AJ suggest? He's good with this stuff. He'd be like, 'mate, what's up' or something. Let's go for that. 'Mate, what's up.'

Marco nodded. ‘Mm.’

Fudge.

“Ugh, sorry you got stuck showing me the ropes...”

What? he thought incredulously. What, no, why would you think that, of course as a newcomer there are things that you need to familiarise yourself with. And it's a great thing for the club if everyone improves the quality of music-making, especially since that means Emilia's chances of getting scouted at competitions is all the higher... but in any case, if you think needing a helping hand from another club member is something you need to apologise for, then my answer is definitely -

“But, um, do you want to find a better spot to work?”

‘No,’ he said impassively, intending to reassure her it was his pleasure to 'show her the ropes'.

It took a moment for Marco to register what Laurel had said in between her apology and his 'no'.

...Something tells me I missed the timing on that one.

Behind his unmoving features, full panic set in as his brain blazed through his options for an exit strategy from the nuclear meltdown this conversation was clearly devolving into. I need to get out of here. But we're working together, so I can't just turn around and run... or maybe I can. I mean, would it even matter at this stage? I want to run. I'm going to run. No, don't run. She's literally right in front of you and you're sitting down and AJ's on the other side. You'd have to climb over him or push her over. I'm like a mouse, a cornered mouse, stuck between a lion of social awkwardness and this dumb jock elephant. Oh, Emilia's sitting on the other side. So there's a dumb jock elephant and like, literally the cutest Disney mouse. I never understood why they made all their animals so attractive. Why, Walt? What were you trying to achieve?

The growing awareness of the desperate need for some kind of actual response to her suggestion dragged Marco back to the task at hand.

I need to say something. Maybe I should get both of us out of this situation. Yes. We should both run. Into the sunset. Wait, actually, maybe that's a good idea. We can't all be here anyway, so maybe a music practice room. There are some in the music department. Yes, and we'll just... walk off what just happened. Yes. That sounds like it could work.

'We can go to a music practice room,' he said, picking up his bag. 'In the music department.'

He rose from his seat and carefully edged past AJ and Emilia (giving what he hoped was a friendly look to the latter and a slightly stressful look at the former) and headed up the aisle to the theatre room doors.

I ought to say something encouraging. Like, as an upperclassman - I mean, especially as she's new. Being new can be nerve-wracking. Just being on stage can be nerve-wracking. Just something casual, something to set her at ease. Oh wait, if I recall...

Just as they exited the theatre room, he looked at Laurel dead in the eye and said, 'I can speak French. If you want.'

Without waiting for a reply, he led the way to the music department.

Nailed it.

mentions
AJ | _amaranth_ _amaranth_

Laurel Willows

Laurel thought that taking the initiative to walk over to Marco was the best option, but as he stared at her for a few too many seconds after she said hello, the blonde was second guessing herself. Maybe she should have let Marco have a few moments to prepare himself rather than just walk right over and bombard him with her presence. He was an upperclassman afterall, maybe there was an unwritten "don't speak until spoken to" rule that Laurel wasn't familiar with. And now she'd just broken it. Great.

What little hope remained of finding a way to become friends with Marco was completely snuffed out when the junior only offered a "Mm" in greeting. If the monosyllabic sound could even be considered a greeting. Right then. There definitely was no way that Marco was even remotely interested in being friends if he couldn't even find it in himself to say anything. Was a simple "hi" or "hello" or even a robotic "greetings" too much to ask?

Ignoring the temptation to rack her brain for the tenth time to figure out what she could have possibly done to offend or displease Marco so much in such a short amount of time, Laurel tried to push on. Essentially apologizing for being Marco's partner, Laurel hoped to at least let him know that she realized he was not thrilled to be partners with her and she'd do her best to make this assignment as painless as possible. Once again, Laurel's words were just met with silence and an unreadable expression on Marco's face. Fuck. Maybe he saw apologies as weakness, and she was digging herself a deeper hole...

A few seconds passed without a response, and rather than wait for one that may never come, Laurel figured to hell with it. After suggesting that they find somewhere better to work, Laurel jumped a little when Marco was quick to reply with a simple, but soul crushing "No". Though at least "no" was a word this time. Laurel glanced over to Emilia and AJ, who were practically within arms reach, and wondered why Marco wouldn't want to at least move a little further away.

Another curtain of silence fell between the two glee club members, and this time Laurel committed herself to a new strategy- keeping her mouth shut. Marco's unwavering expression betrayed nothing of his inner monologue, and Laurel studied him for a few moments to make sure he was still blinking and wasn't just frozen in time. Satisfied after seeing the human version of an Italian marble statue blink, Laurel crossed her arms over her chest awkwardly as she glanced around at the other pairs. Were any of them struggling this hard to simply communicate? No? Even Ash and Romeo were at least exchanging complete sentences with each other.

Just as Laurel was about to make up an excuse about suddenly feeling sick or having a headache to get her out of completing this nightmare disguised as a duet assignment, Marco spoke. Laurel didn't know what was more surprising, that the dark haired man uttered a complete sentence, or that he had changed his mind about not wanting to move somewhere better and was now suggesting that they leave the theater entirely. Had he decided that he didn't want to be seen working with her? Or maybe he wanted to be able to criticize her openly without an audience to censor him?

"Oh, ugh... Okay then." Laurel replied, a little confused, but not really given the opportunity to veto the decision as Marco picked up his bag and started making his way towards the doors. Laurel cast one last glance around the theater room, hoping to catch the eye of Ash, or AJ or even Lian and silently send one of them a plea for help, but alas, they were all focussed on the task at hand. With a deep inhale and exhale to collect her growing frustration and lock it away, Laurel accepted her fate and followed after her partner.

The idea that perhaps a change of scenery could help salvage this train wreck of a partnership wasn't even able to take root before it was weeded out of the ground. As they exited the theater room, Laurel was startled when Marco looked her dead in the eye and declared that he could speak French if she wanted. The blonde had done her utmost best to try to interpret Marco's silences and short replies, but she had absolutely no idea what to make of this moment. His extreme eye contact and random offer to speak French was just so bizarre that Laurel's brain broke for a moment.

French? French... French! Obviously communicating in English wasn't going that great with Marco, so attempting another language couldn't be any worse... Okay, Laurel, say something in French. Anything! What's something we know how to say? Come on, we know at least a few words... break the ice! He's leaving you!

Marco had already resumed walking towards the music room, leaving the blonde a few paces behind. As Laurel struggled to recall any of the common phrases that people generally knew, she heard her voice uttering the first thing that came to mind. A lyric to a song that had been on the radio earlier that morning -

"Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir..."

The instant the words left her mouth, Laurel's eyes widened and she instantly wished the floor would open up and just swallow her. Okay, so she was wrong, communicating in French was worse. Much worse.

"Ugh, sorry, that song’s been stuck in my head. But probably safer to stick with English." She mumbled, trying to just ignore her poor choice of phrase and play it off. "S'il vous plait."

Laurel went back to her strategy of keeping her mouth shut until they reached the music department. Marco led them to an empty classroom, and Laurel glanced around at their new practice area.

"So... Any thoughts on which song you want to do?" She asked, taking a seat in one of the chairs and dropping her bag on the ground beside her. Laurel dug her bag of skittles out again, pouring a few into her hand and tossing them into her mouth. The fruity candies didn’t help much, but they did offer a little pick me up.

Awkward, so very Akward

Music Room

Interactions: Andei Andei

nine lives

Last edited:
juliette
the shy girl
Juliette was definitely known-- or not known by most-- as the quiet, reserved, even shy girl in most if not all of her classes or even just around campus. There were even talks and rumors that she was actually stuck up, thinking she was too good for the others around, even if that was far from the truth. But Jules didn't really correct people because they were going to think what they wanted anyway, and she was far from the confrontational type. That was definitely more up Romeo's alley, but she didn't need him to fight her battles for her. So she just let the rumors fly.

A small smile appeared on her face when she realized that she'd taken not only herself off guard with her teasing, but the techie as well. There was definitely more to her than the shy-but-possibly-stuck-up girl that most people assumed her to be, if they'd only take the chance to talk to her. When Jullian started in on his little tangent, though, she couldn't help but chuckle softly, lifting a hand to her mouth to disguise the shaking of her shoulders. "I'm far from a riot, but I'll take the compliment, thank you. And the candy." She settled back in her seat, unwrapping the smarties and popping a couple of them into her mouth.

When she started showing him songs, though, the shy girl almost disappeared as the excitement within her took over. She showed him two that had popped into her mind almost immediately, though she had tons of others in her mind that she could show him. Quickly realizing that she was stealing the spotlight, though, she grew a little sheepish and withdrew her phone, averting her gaze as she told him they could, of course, do something he wanted instead. She could feel the embarrassment flooding her as warmth spread on her cheeks, but to her surprise, he seemed to love her options, especially the second one.

"Really?" She looked back up quickly, a grin spreading on her face as relief washed over her. Looking down, she set the phone between them, letting the song play out for a few moments as she munched on smarties. It really was a beautiful song, and while she was no Christina Aguilera, she could definitely sing it and had many times before. Around these people, though? She felt a small frown appear as she looked around the room, sinking further into the seat. Maybe not. Fuck... maybe she should have signed up for some quieter elective.

Hearing him mention her playlists, she looked back over at Jullian, minimizing youtube to pull up spotify instead. "I have a few different playlists. It drives Romeo insane, but here. I have a pop playlist, a rock one, a showtunes one, a country one, and even a few others." She scrolled the playlists before she set the phone back down, letting him scan the playlist of his choosing. "I like to be organized." She admitted, another sheepish smile appearing on her face as she popped the last of the smarties in her mouth. Balling up the wrapper, she leaned forward and tucked the trash into her bag to throw away later.

theater
embarrassed
coded by natasha.

romeo
the loner
Romeo wasn't the Romeo you likely expected when you heard his name. After all, he'd been going by Romeo now for so long that he considered it his real name, not that fucking birth-given name Thomas that he loathed so much. He'd started off using the nickname as a joke, but when it stuck, he found that he didn't mind it. Plus, it gave him and Juliette an edge, he felt, even if she didn't want to take advantage of that. The thought made him roll his eyes some, casting his sister a glance as she sat with the techie on the other side of the room. He almost laughed. That was a match made in heaven. They'd probably sound like a couple of mice up there.

Ash's voice drew his attention back towards the cheerleader, and he flashed her an annoyed look as she used his full name. He knew she did it just to get under his skin, same reason why he called her by her full name or found other ways to annoy her. "Yeah, yeah, we all know how low I can get." His annoyed look was replaced by a smirk as he patted his lap, telling her to go ahead and have a seat. Honestly, she'd been a damn good lay, but he couldn't tell her that and inflate her ego any more than it already was. "If you need a reminder of the size, love, I can provide that for you at anytime." He winked, blowing her a kiss as she sat next to him, plopping her bag in his lap.

He groaned as it landed right on the object he'd been talking about, and quickly shoved the bag off of his lap. It landed on the ground, but he made no move to pick it up. "Hopefully there wasn't anything breakable in there." He leaned forward to look at it before he shrugged and found the song he wanted to show her, which of course she wasn't into. She found her own and he brought her phone closer to him, listening. "I wasn't aware you were into the spanish vibes." He grinned, turning up the volume a little bit and leaning back in his seat to give the song a good listen.

"Had I known that was all it took, I would have called you señorita a long time ago." He grinned as the song came to an end and he handed her the phone back, shrugging one shoulder. "Fine. I'm down. You have a dance number memorized under that pretty red hair of yours? Or do you need help?" He sat up, leaning closer to her so that he could whisper the next words. "Because if you need a reminder of how good I dance, just let me know and I'll remind you." He made sure his breath hit her ear as he reached forward, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear.

A second later he was sitting back, smirk fully present on his features as he glanced around the room. He was confident in his singing and dancing abilities, even if dancing wasn't something he did often. He had rhythm, and if worse came to worse, he'd just ask Jules to help him. In the privacy of their own home, of course, and no one would ever know. As long as redhead over there wasn't trying to get too complicated, though, he should be fine. His gaze flicked back towards Ash and he looked her up and down in her uniform, a slow grin spreading on his face. "We can start practicing now, if you want. The singing, I mean. The dancing might wanna wait til after school, you know." And then he winked at her, his grin growing.

theater
cocky
coded by natasha.

Emilia DeLuca
Princess
Emilia was definitely making a fool of herself. Thankfully, A.J. didn't seem to mind. Maybe that had something to do with Marco? Thank you, big brother, she thought to herself. Maybe they hadn't spent much time together, but it seemed Marco was helping her anyway. And in this way, it saved her the embarrassment later when she was trying to drift off to sleep.

A.J. was suddenly offering her a juice box, and Emilia blinked at it. Was this what the cool kids did? Could juice boxes be spiked with drugs? She didn't want to assume anything on either end, but now she was confused. Where had he... Oh, well. What could be the harm? Emilia gently took the juice box and chuckled as they "clinked" their juice boxes as if they were wine glasses. Maybe this would be a lot more fun than she'd thought.

Of course, he'd noticed her panicking over her horrendous acoustic idea, and he reassured her that it was fine. His hands covered hers for the briefest of moments, but just as quickly, he pulled away. Oh no! Had she done something wrong? Get yourself together, Emilia! She sank her teeth into her lip to try to ebb the oncoming wave of panic.

Little did she know that such inner monologues were something she shared with her sibling.

Her thoughts were once again allowed to shift as A.J. pulled out his phone to show her a song he had in mind. As soon as the opening notes started playing, Emilia's lips spread in a wide smile. She barely noticed her brother inching past with his own duet partner as she imagined herself singing Hailee's part in this particular piece. "It's perfect," she breathed, caught up in the fantasy of singing such an emotional song. She smiled over at A.J. "I think we've got our song."

As quickly as it had come, the fantasy melted. "Oh. But we'll need a guitar. And I don't play." Her expression wilted a bit. "I'm not sure it will be as good if we did it without the guitar."

theater room.

a hot mess, tbh.

outfit.

a.j. _amaranth_ _amaranth_ , marco Andei Andei
coded by natasha.

Ash worked hard. Harder than anyone might assume. But considering where she came from and where she wanted to get, it was no surprise at all. There was one creed Ash repeated to herself every day in front of the mirror. Only a selfish person survives in a selfish world. Was it right? Not at all. Did it help her to get through each and every day and achieve everything she wanted? For sure. Her cheer squad captain title was withing her grasp and considering she also joined this merry band, she had also a good chance she would graduate properly and without and major problems. This whole glee thing, it was not what she wanted to do or what she would choose. Despite being a great dancer and a decent singer, Ash would never consider joining a showchoir on her own. Not in a million years. Her friends were already mocking her enough for just being forced to go there and sharing a stage with a bunch of losers. Thank god there were no big performances in front of the whole school or else Ash would die.

However, since she was already there, she refused to sit quietly and not be heard. Nobody puts Ashlynn in the corner. Of course, she didn’t get many solos and definitely not the good ones but that could change, right? This year, she could totally convince (or force, for that matter) Mr. Schue to give her more spotlight. These people wanted to win and she was a winner. They had all they needed. Yet, as the assignment were duets, it was more than clear Ash needed to share that spotlight and to make matters worse, she had to do it with Romeo, as Thomas liked to call himself. Ash was so angry at herself for giving him that mass destruction weapon in form of sleeping with him. Okay, full disclosure, he wasn’t bad looking at all and the sex was amazing. But Ash would never let him know, she would never feed his already huge ego.

Instead, the girl let her bag fall in his lap, making sure she would draw that groan before sitting down, crossing her legs. He had a few remarks on how low he could get and size stuff and Ash just made a grimace. This was not a debate for a full theater room of people and only god knew what could come out of his mouth. And while Ash was alive, no one was going to know they slept together. NO ONE. “I’m not your love, Thomas.” Ash spat at him and moved her bag a bit aside with her foot. There were mostly books, nothing that could break after the fall and honestly, Ash didn’t care. All the valuable stuff was locked in her locker. They rather moved on to songs and Ash presented her choice.

Hearing how he would have called her señorita a log time ago, had he known, Ash took a deep breath in, closed her eyes and counted to five before exhaling. “You are going to cost me so much energy. Get over your puppy crush already. We fucked, not promised love everlasting.” she jabbed at him because if he could tease, she could throw everything back at him. Yet he got her good once again when he leaned closer, spilling his hot breath on her ear as he spoke. Ash allowed herself to mellow for a millisecond but flinched back to reality immediately, pushing Romeo away. “I do have a dance number for this and I’ll expect you to keep up. And wear something that is not screaming ‘I’m a depressed Andy Black wannabe.’ Okay? Okay!” Ash gave him a fake smile. “Google the lyrics and let’s practice a few times before I go. Can you or do you need a moment to get it up? And tomorrow after lunch, I’ll meet you in the auditorium, we’re going to go over the steps.” she commanded, looking up a karaoke version of the song so only the music would play and the two could sing without the original interprets. Ash played it without warning and caught immediately on, starting with I love it when you call me señorita without missing a beat.

the cheerleader

Ash.

• filler tab!

♡coded by uxie♡

There was apparently this common belief that the British people are very dry and way too sophisticated. AJ though, that boy was nothing if not proof that it was not true. Then again, he was the odd one out back at home or at least in his family. His head was always flying up in the clouds and when he was not training, he was trying to come up with all the possible ways to have fun. The boy could not sit still for the world and while the classic stereotype said his nation was not exactly the most cordial or welcoming, he was the complete opposite. And ever since he moved to the States, it felt like Arthur Wright finally found his crowd. One that was more like him, guys who accepted him like a brother and never looked at him for being a weirdo. Here, he was as normal as possible.

And since he was never really the typical new kid, trying to fit in, looking for people who would accept him, since he got in immediately after joining the football team, his carefree, free-spirited bubbly personality never changed either. Then again, Marco was his best pal and from what he said, AJ felt like he knew Emilia even before he really got to know her. She was like Marco in a way. And maybe the siblings didn’t know it, but AJ totally saw the similarities in their personas. It was almost hilarious.

Seeing how nervous Emilia was, AJ couldn’t help but try to make the whole atmosphere lighter and offered her a juice box. It was a real relief to see that she not only accepted but a soft chuckle escaped her lips. She was finally getting a bit more comfortable around him and AJ didn’t want anything else. Working with a partner who was tense and afraid to let go was nothing pleasant and this club, this should be fun, right? Before she managed to get into another whirlwind of her own thoughts, AJ continued and showed her the song he came up with, considering it a great fit for them both. It was going to showcase their voices in the best way and though AJ was not nearly as good as Emilia, they could definitely work with it. And when she agreed, a wide smile graced his lips, so wide it showed his pearly whites, almost reflecting the light in the theater room.

“Awesome! In that case…” he started but Emilia spoke too so he shut his mouth to hear her. Ah, she wanted a guitar in the number. Well, okay, that was not exactly the worst problem. AJ nodded, agreeing with her that this song definitely needed that guitar and looked around. This was no music room but the glee kids kept a few instruments here when they needed to use some. Guitar was resting on a piano, hidden in its case and AJ shot up to go grab it. Others were still working in pairs and paid him no attention so AJ just snatched the instrument he was interested in and returned to his partner, setting the guitar on his lap to take it out of the case. “I think we got that covered.” he grinned and positioned the guitar properly, strumming the strings for a moment. “I mean, I’m no miracle but I can practice for you.” A wink towards the girl. “I promise I’ll take it seriously.” His back straightened a little to show her he meant every word and started to play some simple tune. “Do you want to try and sing it together now?”

the jock

AJ.

♡coded by uxie♡

Jullian Aevitas

Jullian Aevitas lunged forward like a food-deprived apex predator, hands scrambling to reach for the phone Miss Speare gingerly set down on the table. He was absolutely enthralled to learn more about other people, and with his new acquaintance, that feeling was exponentially more powerful.

"Wh- Yo, as expected, your music taste is of that of a deity. You perhaps the goddess of music come to grace us sorry mortals on earth?" the personified spoonful of sugar remarked as he scrolled through each playlist intently, "A lot of my favorite songs are on here, I didn't even know other people knew these!"

With each tap, Lian grew surprised at the ease of access to songs he was in the mood to listen to compared to his own, singular playlist that contained every single song he had ever listened to. If ever he felt in the mood to listen to a different genre, it'd take almost thirty minutes for him to scroll through all 300+ tracks, with a third of those tracks being random sound effects and voice memos. Sure, it takes less than a second to create a new playlist, but it is what it is.

"Perhaps I should rearrange my music..." he murmured to no one in particular, "Nahhhh, forget it, I wouldn't know what to even do first."

He scrolled through a few more, cursing as he misclicked, and opened a playlist with 'rock' somewhere in the title. What could he expect? After all, he was fumbling through a phone that was definitely too small for his pair of hands. And in another misfortunate effort to exit the playlist, he tapped on an exceedingly loud track, blasting it for the entire theatre to hear.

"OH GOD," he exclaimed, shutting the phone off in an instant.
"I- Uh... Carry on, folks!" came the follow-up as he sank into his seat and buried his face in his hands, ready to disappear off the face of the earth.

A few seconds later, he reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small pack of luscious, pink Potchi, gingerly offering it to Juliette as if he were offering something up to a god. Fitting, if you asked him.

"I'll let you have my pack-of-the-day, expertly-chosen, limited-edition-only-because-the-store-never-restocks, Potchi pack if you don't laugh. I'm probably as red as a beet and making me any redder with a goddess' giggle will probably give me an enyorism. Wait, anyorism. Anyorism? No, enyorism. Oh my god- I'm shutting up now," the already-redder-than-a-ruby Jullian mouthed off before once again burying his face into his left arm, right arm still holding out the pack of strawberry goodies.

Another minute later, his muffled voice came from through his jacket, "L-let's just start, Say Something's got my vote but you can veto if you want, oh Goddess of Music."

coded by weldherwings.

"Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir..."

Marco was fluent in five languages and could hold conversations in nine, two of which where dead. He had been able converse freely in three of those languages since the age of two. One of these were French. Social ineptitude and overthinking tendencies aside, he had never had to worry about second-guessing his French vocab and grammar comprehension, with the sole exception of that one time in second grade during Madame Beaufort's class when a classmate who had just spent a year in Quebec had persuaded him to use on instead of nous in a grammar test (he had never quite gotten over Kerry's costly betrayal that had resulted in him missing out on the top spot for the first time that year).

But the moment he heard the words come from behind him in Laurel's characteristically soft-spoken tones, Marco could not help but doubt himself as he took a moment to go over in his head the sentence he had just heard for any linguistic inconsistencies, just in case he had - in blatant defiance of his purported command of the language - not quite understood what had been meant by those words. As he went over every possible iteration of what had been spoken to him, Laurel's mumbled apology faded into the oblivious background of his mind as the rest of his brain waged total war on the dilemma in front of him.

'All I am saying is that the formality of the address and the explicit nature of the content is simply far too at odds for it to be a functioning phrase!' shouted Marc, slamming one hand down on the meeting table while the other pointed repeatedly at the opening verb. 'The more formal "vous" is used here and the verb is inverted, indicating an overall formal register! Why on earth would any sensible person use such a register to request... that?!'
'I agree that the discrepancy is confusing, but we must assume from this error that she is not a native speaker,' said Marcus placatingly. 'Perhaps we looked tired and she was asking if we needed to rest...'
'To rest "avec moi"?!' came Mark's disbelieving interjection from the other side of the table.
'... with her...' Marcus' voice trailed away unconvincingly.
'Maybe she just read it somewhere,' offered Marko. 'I recall it was used in Streetcar by Tennessee Williams... scene six, I think?'
'Yes, and if you recall a little harder, you might remember that it was said by Blanche when she was in the middle of making an amorous advance!' Mark reminded him. 'Honestly, the play's called "A Streetcar Named Desire", it's in the title!'
Marcus raised his hand before Marko could retort. 'Putting aside whether it's a poorly-formed sentence or a genuine proposition or neither or both, the point still stands... what in the world do we say to the poor girl?'
At this, the table fell silent as they looked to one another, as if expecting the other to speak up.
'... We could pretend we didn't hear her?' suggested Marc weakly.
'Ah... haha... well, about that, I don't think that's going to be possible,' said Mark sheepishly.
'Why's that?'
'Because we're literally standing in a music room, mouthing the words "voulez-vous coucher avec moi" at her. Right now.'

Marco's attention shifted back to current reality just in time to register their surroundings as one of the practice rooms in the music department while his lips were silently forming the end of the words 'ce soir' in a kind of blank horror. He realised that he must have been soundlessly murmuring the words under his breath while his brain had been trying to make sense of what had just been said to him, all the way until they reached their destination. Now she was looking up at him, a packet of sweets in hand just as he came to the end of mouthing that mortifying sentence.

What has just happened. Oh my goodness, I am the worst upperclassman ever. This has to be tantamount to harassment. I don't want to harass. Harassing is evil. Am I evil? I don't want to be evil. Oh, this is the worst start. I need to get hold of this situation before it blows up any more than it needs to. Yes. I can't be the reason this girl quits. That would be awful. I haven't even heard her sing! What kind of message would that send to future newcomers? Oh no. What kind of message would that send to Emilia? Oh she would hate hate hate me and I would cry and probably binge eat ice cream until my brain freezes and then I'd puke up my frozen brains and shame together in a sad shame-brain slushie...

He promptly closed his mouth, horrified at the thought. I can't let that happen. We need to move this along quick. Uhh... yes. 'I'm not sure if that phrase means what you think it means, but in either case, maybe now's not the best time or place or even person to be having that particular discussion, if that's alright with you? Let's use our club time to focus on music. What song do you want to do? Anything in particular?' Yes, that sounds about right. Ah man, but that's quite wordy. Maybe I should be more concise?

Marco sat down at the piano, and said, ‘Not the time, place, or person. Focus. What song do you want?’

'...'
Marc broke the silence around the meeting table. 'You know what, all things considered, I reckon it could have gone worse.'

mentions

Laurel Willows

The instant the suggestive lyrics left her mouth, Laurel knew she had made a very bad mistake. Not even necessarily because of what she said, but because of who she said it to. Marco already didn't like her, and now she'd propositioned him to, well, sleep with her. Not that she'd even actually propositioned him. They were just song lyrics- the first ones to pop into her head. Though, by the looks of it, they were not song lyrics that Marco was familiar with. Damn.

Laurel attempted to mumble an apology, letting Marco know that those lyrics had been stuck in her head and that they should stick to English. Why the hell had he even brought up speaking in French in the first place? If he was trying to get in her head, it worked! If Marco heard her apology, he made no response to it as they continued to walk to the music room. The older student remained awkwardly quiet the rest of the walk down the hall, and Laurel was inwardly cringing at her faux pas with each step. She'd explained herself though, sorta, so really, this matter should be dealt with. It was an honest mistake. She shouldn't dwell on it forever.

Just as the dirty blonde had convinced herself to move on, the pair arrived at their new practice room. Breaking the silence that Laurel feared would be everlasting, she asked Marco if he had any thoughts on what song he'd like to do as she fished her pack of Skittles out of her bag. The young woman had just popped some of the candies in her mouth as she turned around to look at Marco, and nearly choked on the fruity chews. The upperclassmen was mouthing Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir... over and over as he just stood frozen in the music room. Laurel's face flushed immediately, her belief that they'd put this little snafu behind them shattered into a million pieces. Oh no.

With each nearly silent muttering of the lyric that issued from Marco's mouth, Laurel flushed darker and darker red. The man seemed lost in thought and the poor blonde didn't know what to do. It wasn't until he reached the end of the lyric once more, that he seemed to come back to reality. Marco promptly closed his mouth, causing Laurel to jump a little from his sudden deviation from his trance. Not knowing what to do, Laurel opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out. For a moment she feared that the two of them would be stuck in the nightmare of a situation forever, before Marco quickly moved over to the piano, sitting down. Not the time, place, or person. Focus. What song do you want?

Laurel's brows knit together at first as she tried to make sense of his comment, before she realized that he had taken the lyrics literally... and was rejecting her. Groaning a little, Laurel covered her face with her hands, candy bag included. This was mortifying. Obviously her explanation earlier about them being lyrics had fallen on deaf ears and now... She wanted to try clarifying again that she hadn't meant the lyrics, and that her brain had simply failed to come up with any other French phrase... but she also was afraid of just making things worse.

"Right, sorry." Laurel said simply, pulling her hands away from her face and clenching her Skittles bag tightly. "Uh, a song? Well, I asked you earlier but you were..." Laurel trailed off, not knowing how to put it. But you were muttering suggestive lyrics over and over to yourself while in a daze? Yeah, that didn't seem right. "... distracted." She finished, instead.

Scared to be judged for whatever song she suggested, and at this moment unable to think of any other song except the cursed Lady Marmalade, Laurel just tugged at the ends of her hair, glancing away from Marco. "Maybe it's best if you choose the song... since you're more experienced with Glee club." She insisted, glancing at the clock and wondering how much longer she had to awkwardly stumble through this exchange with Marco. "As long as it's not rap I should be able to follow along okay..." Laurel added, before mentally kicking herself. Like Marco would ever choose a rap song. Best to just stop while your ahead Laurel. Leave the monosyllabic talking to him.

Mortified

Music Room

nine lives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back