• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy We're All Heathens Here

Vanira

The Void Prophetess
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
AI10100 AI10100
The day had not gone as expected. It was odd enough that not even a month ago a newcomer came into Armagh and started to poke his nose around, but now there was another? Rohana had certainly not expected to be pulled from her daily duties aiding the sick to go watch a public execution. Not too often the high and mighty Priestess shows her face. Standing in the crowd surrounded by most of the town, Rohana glanced over at the Doctor who was with her, his tired eyes focused on the Priestess talking. He was enamored by what she was saying. Not a single word came from the crowd as the throat was slit and blood fell. Blue eyes met that of the newcomer for the briefest moments before the act. Then they went limp on the ground. Everyone, including Rohana murmured praises to the Blood God.

Oh, Rohana had not expected a day like this to have hope show up.

The rather short woman made her way to the body with the Doctor, making sure to keep her head low and gaze strictly on the corpse. Rohana did not wish to get the attention of the vampires present, and starring was never a good way to avoid that. Wasn’t too often they came into town, and she had heard they were… unpredictable.

Rohana grabbed the woman’s arms while the Doctor grabbed the feet. Both lifted the body and started to make their way to the cemetery. Once there, they buried the cold body with the other nameless corpses and called it a day. Rohana smiling at the old man and said “praise be the Blood God,” before leaving. Blah, how she hated saying that. The God did nothing for her but cause misery to everyone. However, she pushed those negative thoughts aside. A glimmer of hope in her blue eyes.

This morning, hope appeared. This afternoon hope has died. Tonight, Rohana would bring hope back.

Night had fallen. Only the Moon and Rohana were there for the grave robbing. Something Nana had always warned Rohana from doing so. No better sign of a necromancer running a muck than missing bodies. That was fine, Rohana just needed two days at most. Two days and she was gone. The redhead formed a plan as she dragged the body back to her home. Thankfully, not too far from the graveyard. Hardly anyone was insane to come out at night, so Rohana felt safe that she had remained unseen as she shut the door to her Grandmother’s little old cabin.

Four hours later, Rohana had near the end of the required chanting. Her voice has become raspy with the non-stop usage of her voice. The light from the candles surrounding the body grew bright and green. No, no it was not supposed to turn green. “Shit, I’m losing her,” Rohana kept the panicking internalized as she stepped forward, still continuing the chanting. Rohana placed one hand over her own chest, resting on the heart. The other hand rested on the woman in the same position. Still chanting, the Necromancer painfully seeped her own life force and moved it into the dead body. It hurt so badly but it was needed.

That went on for several more minutes before the redhead collapsed onto the floor. The green light from the candles became paler until they were white before extinguishing. Leaving the Woman alone in darkness. Panting and starting at the dead body. Blue eyes gazed intensely at the dead body before finally the body gasped for air.

Betrayal.

It wasn't a new thing to Sol. She had seen and lived through many betrayals in her lifetime. It's done for a variety of reasons: love, money, property, belief. There was certainly no shortage of it in the hunter's community. The creatures of darkness have adapted themselves well into human society that they've managed to garner sympathy from some of them. Humans who willingly turn their backs on their own brethren in support of those who walk the night. Truly, it is of no surprise that there were people like these. While Sol cannot understand why they would so willingly hand over their humanity, she can speculate on their reasons for doing so: security, power... love.

However, Sol could not fathom or even think for one second of a reason her mentor - Gustavo - would ever betray her. It was unthinkable. He had raised her like her own daughter - or a protegee. Sol was sure that Gustavo didn't know the difference. He was steadfast in his beliefs and he had ingrained it in her mind that loyalty was the most important thing.

"We cannot be swayed, little Sol." He once told her as he was teaching her archery - pointing at the target ten meters away. "The task of protecting humanity lies with us. We cannot let them take control of us too."

The Deadwood had been a challenge to get through. For every move, she felt something was following her - watching her carefully. Fenrir had been out constantly for her travels - but then again, he always was. It gave Sol comfort when she was alone, but even more so when he was present in the words that stared back. It was a combination of her and Fenrir's efforts that she had managed to traverse safely. It was a treacherous trek - one that she was not keen on doing again. Oh the things she would do for family.

"Gus..." Sol called out as she opened the door to the shack. Relief had washed over her being as she sees the familiar figure of her mentor. She let out a sigh. "You could have given me more warning before disappearing off the face of..." She furrowed her eyebrows as Fenrir's ears flattened against his head and he was now growling fiercely. And yet, Gustavo remained unmoving. "Gus?" She walked closer, reaching out to him.

Everything happened far too quickly. How he turned and grabbed her by the throat before slamming her against the ground with the force she only felt when she fought vampires. And it was only when she saw his eyes that she solidified the theory. If that was the case, then she has to keep her promise. Sol tried to reach for the blade that she had concealed on her thigh area but she was suddenly lifted up and was used as a weapon to repel Fenrir - who whimpered as the familiar hit the wall of the shack with a resounding crack. She clenched her teeth as she thrust her fist full of Holy Fire towards him. He let go of her and she landed on fours, gasping for oxygen. She twisted to the side as she felt his presence grow closer. The floor beside her had cracked open from the force of his punch. She grabbed her blade and forced herself up to stab him through the side of his neck.

But he turned so suddenly and grabbed her hand. Staring straight into his eyes, the next thing he said was all she could remember.

"Sleep."

She felt herself being dragged when she had come to before she was thrown to the ground. She looked up to see those piercing red eyes. She had to fight - but she felt too drained and she was bound. They were saying something but she couldn't hear them. It was only a static noise. Gustavo wasn't there. How fitting. She was pulled up by one of the vampires as the lead woman brandished a knife, announcing something to the crowd before running the knife harmlessly across her throat. "Velzhun guide my path." Sol had said, having made her peace. There is honor found in death, and there is also eternal peace. As the woman pressed harder into her throat to silence her forever, her eyes were attracted to one person in the crowd before it all went black as she took her last breath.

And she breathed in as her eyes shot open. Those same eyes were staring back at her. Her hand immediately flew towards her neck where the knife would was. Or where it should be at least. Her body felt stiff and sore at the same time. She wanted to shake it off but there were more pressing matters to acknowledge. She sat up slowly, taking a few more breaths. She was alive. It was not hard to put two and two together. Even in her dazed state, she would recognize unlife when it was presented right before her eyes.

"Necromancer." Sol spoke, turning her eyes towards the culprit of her resurrection.
"To make a thrall out of a hunter is truly ironic. For what purpose did you awaken me?"

Rohana sat on the ground panting still. Her muscles tense as she waited to see if the hunter would just attack the redhead on sight. Moving all the furniture from the living room meant that there was absolutely nothing between the woman and herself. It was annoying to move everything out into the tiny kitchen and it was going to be more annoying moving everything back. Well, actually cleaning the blood sigils off the floor was going to be more fun. Cleaning blood out of wood so it didn't leave a smell would take hours.

Blue eyes focused on the woman as she slowly sat up. At least she was alive, that was a success and speaking which meant everything in the throat area must have been healed. Good. No complications for the time being. Now the only goal was to not get immediately killed by the hunter. A gloved hand reached out for one of the nearby candles and after a moment Rohana lit the candle again. Her eyes focused on the lit flame for a moment before turning her attention back to the woman. She gulped down the anxiety and finally caught her breath, still feeling weak from the ritual. “I did not intend to make you a thrall,” the necromancer spoke slowly and chose her words carefully. “I do not know why you came to these lands, but I know you are not from around here. You are hope for these people, so I brought you back.” Rohana winced as she stood up. The necrotic damage she inflicted herself with finally starting to subside.

“Would you like some water? Something to eat? I may have given you some of my own life force but it will not be enough for you to regain your strength completely. Actually, I shall make you some tea to help.” Before the woman could say anything, the necromancer made her way to the small kitchen. Now made even smaller with the small couch and table shoved into the space. It was that or the bedroom as it was only a three room home. Stepping over the small table she grabbed a kettle and began to boil some tea leaves. "The name is Rohana, by the way." The redhead called out from the kitchen.

Last edited:
Sol studied the woman slowly as she spoke - not even hiding her intention. From what she could tell, the necromancer doesn't seem to have anything to defend herself with if Sol wasn't going to count any sort of magical traps laid around. She could just be mistaken but it also doesn't seem that this necromancer had the physical capabilities of defending herself. It would be a simple task to leap off of where she laid and attack - ridding the world of another person who tampered with the cycle of life and death. However, as she moved her arm to roll her shoulders, she deduced that doing so would only result to injuries on both parties. With how heavy her body felt at that moment, Sol wasn't sure if she was going to be effective in any sort of fighting. So she decided to stay and listen to the reasoning of the woman before her. She had shifted to a more comfortable sitting position, never breaking eye contact with her.

To say that Sol was surprised that she wasn't a thrall was an understatement, but she didn't let it show on her face. "Hope?" She repeated the word as if it was unfamiliar. It was not. Hunters stood as a beacon of hope for those who are helpless to fight against the supernatural. But to hear it from a necromancer who seemed to be on the side of the humans seemed odd, in a way. Well, vampires did take down anyone who was powerful enough to rise against them - magicians included. "For you have brought me back, I will tell you my intentions. I've come here for my mentor, to aid in his fight against the vampires." For the first time since her awakening, she broke eye contact with the necromancer and turned her head down. "Unfortunately, I was far too late. Perhaps he had suffered from even before he had sent the letter, and that this is all a trap." She let out a sigh. "But a job is a job. Amargh is under the influence of the vampires and it is my sworn duty as a hunter to slay them and liberate the town from their influence."

Her eyes narrowed when the necromancer showed obvious signs of fatigue and pain. While Sol had never seen a resurrection before, the necromancers she had fought before that raised the dead had done so effortlessly. The offering of beverage had distracted her from the thought and she had reached over to her throat again but her eyes snapped back to the necromancer. "Your... life force?" She said with disbelief. The necromancer had already departed and Sol felt... guilty. Her kind was the enemy and yet, she had given her own life force to resurrect her. And while it wasn't completely appreciated - she had accepted that death would come for her - Sol couldn't help but feel thankful for there was a task that she must do before she died. Mulling it over, Sol decided to stand up. As suspected, her body didn't seem to respond well to movement. Having been dead for who knows how long, Sol didn't expect anything else.

But if this was enough to stop her, then she would have been long dead. She made her way to where the necromancer had disappeared to, reaching out for the doorframe once she had arrived to lean against - just in time to hear her name. "And mine is Sol." She responded. "What do you hope in gaining for reviving me, then, Rohana? I cannot let this debt go unpaid. A life is a heavy price, but one I am willing to pay." Even if she was a necromancer, the mere fact that she used her own life force means that Sol is indebted to her. The idea rubbed her the wrong way but there was no other choice. She didn't seem like most of the necromancers she had put down, at the very least, but that may just be a cover.

Rohana glanced over her shoulder at the woman leaning on her door frame. Rohana almost apologized for how messy the kitchen was. Then she remembered the entire house was sort of... messy. The house was old with a boarded up window in the kitchen and a couple small holes in the wall. All the houses looked equally, as horrible too so it was not just her Nana's home. They say the homes in Poltragow are nicer with town roads made of cobblestone.

A small frown on her face as she spoke, “I am sorry to hear of your mentor. He had visited us a while ago, but mostly kept to himself, so I did not get to know him. I think he had planned to move inward towards the other villages.” Reaching up, she grabbed two tea cups from the shelf. “Sol… a pretty name. Sun, right? Sol means sun?” The mind of the necromancer wandered off to what the hunter, Sol, had said. It was starting to look like Rohana’s hopes for a quick escape from the Deadwood was not going to happen. Foolish to think that was an option, really. The woman came to Armagh for a reason and there were high doubts she would willingly leave before the deed was done. Either way, it would appear she would be staying in the Deadwood for a while longer. Speaking of Armagh, “I hate to be the one to break it to you, Sol, but the High Priestess has her grasp on more than just this settlement. Ascot and Poltragow are other towns under their influence. It has been that way since before I was born.” Rohana shrugged as she poured the tea from the kettle into the two small cups.

The pain had dulled by that point, but the mention of her giving up her life force made the pain surge for a moment. Not like Rohana had planned to give the stranger some of her life essence, but she had too. It was that or wait who knows how long for another hunter to appear. Having two in the same decade was a miracle in itself. It happened and now there was no going back. Rohana hoped tat there would be no side effects to her actions. Nothing was in Grandmother’s grimoire about giving life force for a resurrection. Actually, it was something Rohana discovered completely on her own. Having the knowledge of a fledgling doctor and a necromancer could cause interesting results when weaved together. Interesting, but dangerous as the techniques were untested. Rohana could have died from giving too much of her essence. That and the Woman could have woken up and decided to kill the necromancer on sheer principle of what she was.

Hope did stupid things to people it would seem.

The redhead turned around with the two cups in her hand and smiled at Sol. “It would appear that our goals are more aligned than I thought.” She walked over, her black cloak just barely dragging on the ground. Each step made the floorboards below creak with age. She extended one hand out to offer the cup to the hunter. “To free the people from the influence of the Priestess, her council and their God. You want to consider our debt paid then I want safety and safety comes in the form of the Council demolished. The people might live in the Deadwood but it does not mean they should suffer, hm?” She tilted her head and took a sip from her own cup of tea. The herbal taste helping to take the edge off of her anxiety.

"It is likely that he hadn't trusted anyone in his stay. You cannot blame him considering-" Sol gestured vaguely around. It wasn't just that there was a necromancer - it was also that many villagers were complicit to the vampire rule. Or at least, they've long since given up. She let out a hum at the mention of her name. "Yes. And thank you." Perhaps her name is the only reminder she has of her family before the incident. It was a thoughtful name and she was sure her mother would have explained why it was her name had they still been alive. She watched her pour the tea and listened to her explanation. "Then all the more reason to bring them down." It may have been worse than she had thought but it was no reason to simply give up. It was fight or die. "I will make sure you will taste freedom, or I will die trying." Sol was not sure if she would be powerful enough to defeat them but she will try. For the sake of the citizens.

Sol tilted her head when Rohana turned to her and there was a quirk of her lips. She slowly took the cup from the necromancer and listened to her proposition. She wasn't going to say that she wasn't surprised that the necromancer would so willingly go with letting her pursue the vampire, but it was certainly a pleasant surprise. "Very well. And I agree. Your settlements may be within The Deadwoods, but the citizens deserve their freedom as much as those that are within the city." She eyed the tea for a moment before taking a sip from it. What use would it be to revive someone only to poison them? She cannot keep suspecting the necromancer of ill will. She had been nothing but kind, after all, and she wants the council gone as much as she does - if not more. In fact, she may be one of the few allies she will ever get. Not to mention, a necromancer is certainly a welcome ally as their inclination to the magical arts were helpful. If only they hadn't gone against the law of nature, they wouldn't have been on opposite sides.

The hunter gave her a nod before taking another sip of the hot beverage. It was certainly calming and reinvigorating. She doubted she could start fighting within the day but it certainly helps. "You know this area better. What do you know of the council? Where do they stay? Do they patrol the settlements? Things like that. Even the smallest detail can help Rohana." Sol paused, looking down at the cup she was holding before sighing. "However, we can continue that discussion at a later time. I understand that you are tired from your... ritual. Please do rest." She suggested, looking back over her shoulder to where she had been laid down earlier. "Do not worry, I will make sure nothing happens to you." She said once more as she turned back to her, taking a sip from the tea as she did.

Just as Rohana brought the tea cup back to her lips she froze. Eyes stared at the woman across from her. Sol was really going to help her taste freedom? She expected the huntress to agree of course as it would have been odd for Sol to deny her since their goals were aligned. However, there was a sense of conviction in the woman’s voice that Rohana had not heard before. So used to the monotone, dead voices and attitudes of her neighbours that this, this right here was different. This woman was serious about her mission and the necromancer could not help but approve of the attitude. If only more people had that attitude maybe this predicament could have been avoided all together. Then again, it was not like people have not tried to overthrow them before. Sol was different. Sol was prepared or at least should be now that they know their Mentor is not on their side anymore. A mistake anyone could have made.

“Thank you, however I do not believe I am in much danger at the moment. I am a trusted member of this community. You are eager to continue on your quest and I greatly admire that,” the redhead chuckled as she finished her cup of tea. The ritual did make her tired, and sleep would help, but it would be hard to sleep from knowing what was to come. What did her grandmother always say? I will rest when I am dead? That seemed to fit the situation, but Rohana thought that saying that to the recently dead might be a little insensitive. Therefore, she kept that comment to herself. “The Council stays in Poltragow. It’s the biggest town in the Deadwood. It is far travel from here to there however.” Rohana walked past Sol and into the living room. Her eyes scanned the floor and at the intricate sigils that were painted on them. A sigh escaped her lips as she thought deeply. The Council were mysterious, but these questions Sol asks are very important. Rohana would have to think further on the topic. “Some of them travel around, but there is not much known about them. I can tell you what I know of them at daybreak.”

After a moment of just standing in silence, Rohana began to collect the candles from the circle before placing them in a drawer on the far side of the room. “We will have our work cut out for us tomorrow. I understand you will want to be on the move as soon as possible, correct? I can take you to Ascot as it is on the way. No one should recognize you there, so we can gather more supplies there. People hardly travel from town to town in the Deadwood as it is too dangerous.” Her blue eyes looked over at Sol. “I presume you came with equipment, yes? Unfortunately they did not bury you with it but I may know where it is held.” The Priestess would want anything deemed dangerous to be destroyed, but that did not mean it would be destroyed immediately. The Mayor may have it, as only a trusted human slave of the Council could become Mayor. One of the few perks of sucking up to the undead overlords. Her new companion might be able to sneak in and get the equipment back. But what if they get caught?

Decisions, decisions...

So a rebel like the necromancer had just been hiding under the council's nose? Sol didn't know whether to admire the bravery to step up and become a "trusted member" or to admonish because she had stepped into a spotlight. Sol would not be surprised if security tightens and the rules become even more overbearing if this fails. Of course, she would do everything in her power to be successful in overthrowing and eliminating the current reigning vampires but she wasn't blind to the fact that it would be very difficult in doing so. After all, even Gustavo failed. But she had grown out of the mold Gustavo raised her in. She was better now. If she loses heart, then it's straight to death. But she had to plan her every move carefully or else she'd get sniffed out far too quickly.

Knowing where the council resides was a good first step. But the mere fact that they kept to themselves and were generally mysterious wasn't good. Not even a routine. Unpredictable enemies are the worst but she could adjust. "That will be fine. There is no rush for information." Not yet at least, for her. She needed a few days of preparations and the fact that she didn't have her equipment right now was certainly a disappointment. Burying someone with their holy weapons was definitely not a good idea so she just had to accept it. She didn't even have her holy water but at least she still had Velzhun's amulet with her which was the most important one.

"Yes, I would. Staying here is dangerous enough. However, there is no reason to push yourself for it." Sol pointed out. And perhaps she could get some rest too. She was sure her body would need it. Coming back from death wasn't the most pleasant experience for her body, she imagined. She gave her a nod, agreeing with the plan. She gulped down the rest of the tea and entered the kitchen to place it gingerly on the counter before returning to the living room. She perked up when her equipment was mentioned. She has gotten through a lot with those weapons and she would be glad to not have to make a ritual again for new weaponry and risk discovery. "If it is possible to be retrieved, I would like to get it."

There were plenty of reasons for pushing to leave quickly. Sol would be recognized if spotted in town, and the idea of the huntress being cooped up in the tiny home all day did not seem like something that would last long. Not that Rohana could guarantee visitors would not stop by the house. She had always been known for being friendly and outgoing, thus people visited her a lot. Like the Doctor. If Rohana were to suddenly become reclusive that may look suspicious as well. On top of that the grave, despite Rohana’s best efforts, may look disturbed if someone were to give it a keen look. None of those created the ideal circumstances for saying in town. But if she were to suddenly pick up her stuff and leave, that might be an even worse tip off.

No one left town often, but that didn’t mean there were not those trained in hunting down suspicious people.

Rohana sucked in a small bit of air as Sol mentioned getting their weaponry back. Of course, they would. “I mean, it is possible to retrieve the items.” She paused for a moment to look over at the woman. “If they have not been destroyed- which I highly doubt they would do in less than a day- then the Mayor would be the only trusted person to have them. Holy items usually require a knowledgeable weapon smith to destroy properly.” The one time someone destroyed a long sword that was embedded with magic ended horribly. The broken blade still had magic and someone tried to stab the Priestess with it. “We no longer have a blacksmith in this town. Not for ten years.”

If the Mayor did have the items, how would they get to them? Rohana could fudge the routine list the Doctor had. Forge the document to say the Mayor was next to pay the blood tax. They were usually exempt from those sorts of things but no one would dare question the authority of the Priestess. Sol could sneak in while Rohana kept him busy. It was a risk however and Rohana was already taking enough risks from everything she had done today. To think that a day ago she had not even dreamed this was possible. The amount of risks did not matter anymore, or at least it should not matter anymore. Sooner or later Rohana would have made a mistake and been outed for what she is. Then she would either die defending herself or give in and be shipped off to the Priestess’ home where all the gods don’t even know what happens to the poor souls who give up. Undead thralls? Slaves? Sacrificed?

Rohana tried not to think about it. “We will plan out what we shall do at the break of dawn. Either way we will leave in two days. Staying here will not help us.”

She walked over to her bedroom for a moment before coming back out with a blanket for Sol. “As you could tell, I moved most of the furniture into the kitchen for the ritual. If you move the small couch back in here you can use that as a bed for the night.” The redhead held out her arms and gave the thick, gray blanket to Sol. “Is there anything else you require of me before I go to sleep?” She tilted her head slightly and waited for a response. If no, she would head off to her room for the night.

Sol listened but she couldn't help but let out a huff of disappointment when Rohana mentioned that the mayor is likely the one to be safeguarding it. And she was right - any enchanted weaponry would need a skilled weaponsmith or enchanter if you intended to destroy it without bringing great harm to yourself. It's why many of these weaponry were all just buried deep into the ground in hopes that no one would find it again. But holy weaponry - a hunter's trademark weapon - is something that is essentially a death trap when you don't know what you're dealing with. She nodded in understanding at her explanation.

There was the hanging question in the room and Sol could tell that Rohana was thinking about it as well. If it was with the Mayor - a trusted person in the community and most likely the exact person who would willingly cart them off to the Priestess if they do get caught. Would it be worth it? No. It would not be. However, Rohana had moved on to say that they should discuss it further come morning. Sol would have to agree to that so she just gave her another nod. "Very well." She was about to choose a random spot on the floor when Rohana had come back with a blanket.

She stared at it for a moment as the necromancer continued to explain where she could sleep for the night. "Thank you." She gave the other woman a small smile as she accepted the blanket. "No. Have a good rest." Sol watched as Rohana left for her room first before moving to the kitchen. Spotting the couch, she put the blanket on it and dragged it back out to the living room. Sleeping next to the ritual that had brought her back to life - marking her unlife. She had become the exact thing that her entire order had fought against. But she must see this through. She must keep her promises. And perhaps then, she could be put to permanent rest. Maybe Velzhun would never welcome her in her realm because of this transgression, but she has a duty and she will see it through.

The hunter sat down on the couch. It was too risky to enter the lion's den. Besides, it would put Rohana in danger. She may be a necromancer but she wasn't going to make Rohana put herself at more risk. She could always try to make more. She had her amulet - her trinket. She wasn't sure if Velzhun would answer her prayers for holy enchantment but she would have to try. If all else fails, they can return when everything has blown over. Hopefully they can get Rohana a perfect excuse for her leaving. In the worst case scenario of Amargh being on high alert for them, then Sol would just have to make do with what they have. Or maybe find Gustavo's stash. He likely had some lying around.

With a heavy sigh, Sol lied down and laid the blanket over her. Nothing will be the same again.

With a small nod Rohana turned on her heels and walked to her room, leaving the huntress with no supervision. It was not the wisest thing to leave a hunter, someone who usually hunted necromancers, unattended. However, if Sol had really wanted Rohana dead, there was a very slim chance that the necromancer could actually stop her. Maybe with enough planning, but Rohana gave her the benefit of the doubt. In Sol’s own words she owed a debt to Rohana, and while she did not know the hunter for long, she felt like the woman was true to her word. At least for the time being. That may have to be evaluated again at a later time.

After closing the door with a loud creak, she walked over to her desk first instead of her bed. The desk was barren except for three candles and a worn-out book. Nana’s grimoire. A thin hand caressed the book’s cover before opening it to no particular page. From cover to cover, Rohana had read the book several times. Yet there was still much in the book she had yet to master. No. Much to learn. Only a small number of the spells Rohana understood enough to cast. The others seemed confusing at best. If only her Grandmother had been alive to show her in more detail. Then she may have known more spells by now. Maybe Nana would be proud of how Rohana made her own spell. Reverse healing, which was the one thing that stopped her Grandmother from mastering the last spell in the grimoire: resurrection. The one spell she did not learn, Rohana did.

But it was never enough.

Rohana sighed and headed to bed, finding it difficult to sleep. With time, she managed to find dreamless sleep. The dull morning light made its way through the window and onto Rohana’s face. She winced as she stirred from her slumber. Sliding out of bed, Rohana made her way to the door and stopped. Would the woman still be there? Did Sol leave in the middle of the night? She had hoped not. If she gets caught it would only cause an investigation to break out in town. An investigation that would point back to Rohana.

With a sigh, she opened the door and walked out into the living room. If Sol was still asleep, Rohana would make breakfast, but if she was awake Rohana would smile at her and say, “did you sleep well?” As she asked, Rohana would head off to make some eggs with potatoes.

Sol woke up with a jolt, cold sweat running down her back. She placed a hand on her forehead and pushed her hair back, running it through her blonde hair as she tried to control her breathing. Her heart was beating erratically. Nightmares weren't rare for hunters like herself. Constantly battling forces more powerful and more terrifying than yourself - forces that one cannot normally comprehend - would lead to some form of lasting psychological damage. More of than not, their minds would twist the already terrifying creatures into more than what they can handle.

For Sol, it was a constant reminder of powerlessness. Oftentimes, it's reliving the time of her parents' death. But she would be older with weaponry by her side but she still can't do anything. She would still stand there, paralyzed, as her parents are mercilessly slaughtered and sucked dry right in front of her face. As she grew older, these nightmares became fewer and far in between. And honestly, Sol was very much thankful for it. She was more powerful now. She would make sure that nothing like that ever happens to those that were close to her. And she wouldn't allow it to happen to anyone else too as much as she can help it.

But this one was different. It was the Priestess with her knife pressed against her neck. It was those red eyes that haunted her nightmare. It was her master being killed - being bitten in his neck and drained before being forced to turn. It was those red eyes following her. How her body can't move under her gaze even if nothing was holding her down. She hated it. She despised it. It made her even angrier than she already was. But she knew that fear had seized her heart. Anyone wouldn't blame her for it. That Priestess had killed her. Anyone would normally fear anyone who killed them once. But Sol can't let it rule her mind.

But she can't escape it.

It wasn't soon until Rohana had exited her room and Sol had folded the blanket. At her question, Sol looked away for a moment. "Yes." She responded before standing up. "The weapons. I fear that we might get discovered if we try to retrieve them... but it would also be equally dangerous to enter the Deadwood without them." Sol let out a sigh. "As much as I do not wish to put you in immediate danger, if you have a way where we can get my weapons back, then... I believe we should do it."

Apparently, Sol was already focused on the task before them. All ready to go out there and get going on her mission. Not that it was unexpected, but Rohana had hoped to at least finish breakfast first before getting into the gritty details. As Rohana grabbed the last two chicken eggs she had in the house Rohana’s mind wandered. It would be a lie of Rohana said she was not occupied on the same goal: how do they get those weapons back? It would seem they were stuck in a tricky situation. Either they go out into the woods with minimal weaponry, or they risk getting caught. Rohana would prefer to get caught in town then out in the woods. Execution was preferable to eaten alive by… whatever that lived out there. Even worse, Sol was not the only hunter. Just the only one on the side of the living. The necromancer had heard rumors of the Council Member nicknamed The Reaper, not terribly clever but it did strike fear.

Rohana finished with the eggs and smiled over her shoulder. “I live in the heart of the Deadwood, Sol. I live in immediate danger.” She turned back to the food as she went about cutting potatoes, the best vegetables in the world as her grandmother would say. Did they have potatoes outside the Deadwood? Did they have any vegetables?

“I do, in fact, have a way for us to get in there.” She corrected as she began to cook the potatoes. Her eyes staring at nothing in particular as she thought on the subject. “I am the town nurse, in training to take over as doctor once the current doctor passes. One of my jobs is to collect blood from a list of town folks once a week.” Rohana knew the process thoroughly. It was usually random what names would end up on the list, and they got the lists for the moon cycle along with glass containers. Rohana assumed the containers enchanted but could not say for sure. Not like they would want people like her to know anyways. A group from the Council would then come into town after the new moon to gather the product to take back. Now, whether the council drank the blood or used it in rituals was undecided. Hell, one time Rohana had considered poisoning the blood, but that seemed foolish. The Necromancer did not want to die because of a reckless action back then.

Oh, how times have changed, she chuckled to herself as she finished with the food.

Placing the eggs and potatoes on two plates, she turned around holding both. Her eyes locked onto Sol’s as she placed the plates onto the dingy little kitchen table. “I will take the list and forge the Mayor’s onto the list. Typically, he would not be on there, but no one is going to argue with me over what the Priestess and the Council have decided.” The redhead sat down at the table and gestured to the hunter to take a seat as well before she started to eat. In between bites she spoke up again, “while I take his blood, you sneak in from the back of his house and search for your weapons.”

Rohana brushed a loose strand of red hair out of her face with her free hand. “Not a perfect plan, but the best I can come up with in half a day. I had to head to the clinic anyways.”

"Even so, we might want to be more prepared than just your magic." Sol tapped her fingers against her thigh as she looked up at the roof. Besides, she really wouldn't want to travel through the Deadwood with just a knife and her familiar. She should summon Fenrir soon too; if anything, so that she would feel more at ease. But she wasn't sure if Rohana would allow the familiar to prance around. She doubted a dire wolf would be a usual sight around town. He'd help a lot when it comes to detecting trouble. But again. She doubted it would be a bright idea.

Sol had stood up so that she would be able to converse with Rohana properly. She listened to her explanation - that she did have a way to distract the mayor and Sol could sneak inside and then collect her weapons. She crinkled her nose at the mention of the blood tax. Of course the vampires would implement something like that. If they had three settlements, they had more than enough nutrition lying around to not just massacre everybody. It wouldn't be the first time she encountered a system like this. Considering how subservient the civilians are, it wasn't a surprise.

The hunter moved towards the table and sat down. "Thank you for the food." She said as a habit before turning back to the necromancer. The idea was good. It would be hard to do but at least it was a plan. "I have to thank you again. If this is the plan that we are going to follow, then if it is possible for me to scout around for a path, then I would like to do that." However, Sol frowned at the food before her but her mind was elsewhere. "Though I imagine my face is still fresh in their minds." Even with covering her face, it wouldn't exactly mean that the townsfolk would not be suspicious. After all, considering how isolated the town is, they likely knew each other by name and by face.

She shook her head with a sigh before beginning to eat. She had to stop herself from suddenly wolfing down everything. She was hungrier than she had originally thought. "What do the townsfolk think of dire wolves, I wonder." Sol mused with an amused chuckle leaving her lips. It was a bad idea. It would be better for her to be the one to sneak around after all.

Rohana simply nodded when she was thanked for the food. This woman was very polite, something not too common around Armagh. Not that people were constantly rude per se, but they usually say very little and ‘thank you’ was not in their typical vocabulary. She had to admit, this behavior was a pleasant change of pace. There were certainly quite a few pleasant surprises.

“It might be possible,” mused the redhead as she scraped the last bit of potato onto her fork and ate it. Sol was right, her face would be fresh in the minds of those in town. Even if they did not remember her face they had a good sense for when someone does not belong in their community. They were always wary of newcomers. Newcomers meant trouble. Either because they were secretly working with the Council or they were going to get the Council’s attention. Once you get their attention it was very hard to get rid of it. Only death could do that. Which left Rohana’s new friend in the unique scenario of being given a second chance. A redo on her mistake of blindly trusting this mentor of hers. Very few from Rohana’s understanding could keep their personalities intact after becoming a vampire or one of their thralls.

Placing her fork down, Rohana looked over at Sol. “If you wear a hood you might be able to walk around town during the day with minimal risk. If you must scout this place out perhaps you could go tonight while it is dark out? We could then go in tomorrow morning to get your weapons before immediately leaving town. There’s not much to scout however,” the necromancer added before looking off towards the dirty window that gave a view outside towards the town.

“A dire wolf?” Her interest was peaked once again. “Most of the town are wary of wolves in general. Lots of them in the woods. Farmers, especially dislike them. I could only imagine what they would think of a dire wolf.” Rohana let out a small laugh before thinking. Why would Sol bring up something such as wolves? Did Rohana miss something? She could not recall the conversation being about animals beforehand. “Why do you mention dire wolves?”

"I'll go tonight then. There's less risk of getting caught by anyone." Sol responded with a small nod of her head as she continued to eat, but her eyes followed the necromancer as she rose from her seat to place herself beside a window. The house was isolated enough for Sol not to worry about anyone passing by and catching a glimpse of her. "I only wish to secure a route to the Mayor's and find a way to get in. But my priority is the former. I'm not yet completely familiar with your town and if a guard catches me... well..." Sol didn't have to continue for Robaba to get where she was coming from.

Once she had a solid route, at least she can shave some time off trying to shadow Rohana and escaping everyone else's sight. It would be a break in during daylight - something she didn't do unless there was absolutely no choice. Currently, there were no more options. The risk was high but it was something she was willing to take. Worst case scenario, she would get caught and get killed again. Wouldn't be be first time. She could potentially have Rohana by hiding the fact that she was the one who brought her back. Though, if she were the only known necromancer and her home was investigated... then they would catch her right away. Sol can't let that happen.

Sol hummed. Of course they wouldn't find dire wolves as typical animals who hunted at the edges of the forest - waiting and watching for the opportunity to strike. It would probably be for the best for Fenrir to stay... well, wherever spirits stay when they weren't summoned. He would cause an uproar. Though, she could use him as a distraction if all else fails. "My familiar is a dire wolf you see. I had thoughts of summoning him but I have decided otherwise." She replied honestly as she took another bite and finished the platter. "You will go to work later yes?" She asked for clarification. Maybe she could create some holy water from what Rohana had around the kitchen. Even just one would suffice and help greatly if she were ever to run across one of the vampires.

"If so, then I will attempt to commune with Velzhun. I am unsure if she will answer my prayers when I have come back from the dead but there is no harm in trying." Sol's tone was monotonous with this, as if unaffected but the uneasiness in her eyes were clear. Given everything that had transpired in her life, Velzhun was the only real anchor. The only thing that was kept constant in her life was the presence of their patron deity. If she were to not respond... then Sol would be left alone again and she wasn't sure if she has the capabilities of living with that thought.

Rohana nodded. The night would be the best time to examine the location, because during the day they would need to pull it off without much error. "If a guard catches you, then you best run into the woods and hope they do not find you there. I do not have the energy or the resources to bring you back constantly." Especially since Rohana did not know if there were any side effects of the first resurrection. The chance of a nasty side effect must increase with each attempt.

Here Rohana thought familiars were just a witch’s companion. Apparently not as she just found out, and a dire wolf at that. Regular wolves were huge, she wondered how big a dire wolf was in comparison? Maybe one day Rohana could ask about it, but today was not that day. “Yes I will be on my way to work today. I have to tell the Doctor that I will be leaving town.” Rohana stared out the window as she spoke. She still had to think of a plausible reason for her to leave town. Was she given a job opportunity in the other settlements? A personal summons from the council? Perhaps she is going on a suicide mission to leave the Deadwood? Some people tried before and failed and the redhead had no problems acting the fool if needed. The Doctor was old and gullible. Rohana only needed him to believe it for a day, and then she’s gone.

Velzhun. The name did not seem familiar to Rohana, and she did not want to appear ignorant by asking someone who that was. It must be one of those weird religions from the outer lands, right? It was not unusual for her to not know religions. Besides the God of Blood, all other religions were outlawed long before Rohana could remember them. Or care about religion. How many other religions were there out in the world? Hopefully, Rohana could one day find out. Blue eyes returned to Sol, a small smile graced her lips. “If you need to pray then do so. Maybe your deity will give you guidance on what to do.” She spoke softly before turning her attention back out the window.

“Do you need anything while I am out? I could try to pick up some stuff if you need anything. I should only be gone a couple of hours at most.”

"I would hope that they wouldn't follow me to the woods if that is the case. But I have my own ways." Sol did not want to bring harm to any of the humans. It was against the rules of the Hunters. However, for those who sympathize with the supernaturals, they were permitted to act in self-defense... even kill them if it comes down to that. Sol knew that they were all acting in fear for the lives but one or two sacrifices for the three towns is nothing. They are difficult decisions to make, but it has been one she had made before and will not hesitate to do again.

So Rohana was going to work and make an excuse. Hopefully, it goes over smoothly. She would not want for their plans to be thwarted because the doctor caught on far too quickly. But if she were to believe Rohana, she was one of the most trusted civilians. Surely, she can find a way to get out of town. She shifted in her position and crossed her arms onto the table as she pushed her plate to the side. She was going to clean that in the moment. "Never would I have thought I would pray in the abode of a necromancer." She said jokingly.

She stretched back before shaking her head. "I would ask for some flasks of water, just in case. But other than that, nothing else comes to mind." Sol gave Rohana a smile. She stood up and began to collect the plates so that she may clean that up. "Be careful in your work Rohana. Please, stay safe." She implored as she brought the plates to the cleaning area to begin. She imagined Rohana would take a while in her work so she had plenty of time to pray to Velzhun. Her trinket was still heavy in her pocket. She could feel it calling out to her. But it can wait.

She was stalling because she was afraid.

Glancing over at Sol, Rohana listened to her give a rather small list of what she would like. One item, and it was flasks of water? Really? “Flasks of water. Simple enough,” she nodded while making a mental note to get the requested item.

The Necromancer made her way to the living room and grabbed her dark cloak from the coat rake beside the door. Her Grandmother whittled it out of a large tree branch that fell after a nasty storm. Such a clever woman. Rohana hoped to be half as smart and resourceful one day. “I will be as safe as I could be in this place. I should be back long before nightfall. However, assume the worst if I am not back by then and leave town,” Rohana warned as she put on the cloak and did up the buttons. Once she finished with the buttons, she gave Sol one last smile. “Happy praying,” Rohana spoke before exiting the home. The home that, in the near future, she won’t ever see again.

Wind howled through the trees and the rustling of the leaves made for a lovely melody during the walk. It was a short walk, one with very few people out at this time of day, but it was still lovely to be at peace. Even though that peace was going to be short-lived. As with the stealing and forging of the official paperwork was only going to be the beginning of something filled with anxiety. Rohana’s heart already felt it. The quickening of her heart rate had not sincerely calmed since Rohana made the fateful decision: to bring the huntress back to life. A part of Rohana was amazed she got away with it. Sometimes, Rohana wondered if it was a dream, or a cruel prank. That at any time the Council would just jump out and kill her. If she was lucky. Rohana did not want to know what happened to the poor bastards that got taken back to their home.

Rohana shivered at the thought, trying to mentally stop her mind from wandering any further on the topic. Thankfully, the clinic was in sight. She had arrived.

The door creaked open to the clinic and the redhead entered. The main room acted as both an office and a waiting room. It was the downside of working out of a small building. Hell, Rohana thinks this is also the Doctor’s home as well. Rohana greeted the old Doctor with a polite smile on her face as she approached the messy desk in the middle of the room. The old man, who was about to walk into another room, did not give her one in return. He never did. Rohana licked her dry lips while gathering the nerves to speak. “A member of the council came to my home in the evening.” He stopped and turned his attention immediately to her rather than his work. “They… they say the Doctor in Poltragow died recently and there was no one fit to replace him there. They think I would make a suitable replacement.”

He gave Rohana a quizzical look. “Poltragow, really? The journey is dangerous enough just going to Ascot. How would you make it there without an escort?” The Doctor approached with a subtle limp in his leg.

Rohana looked down at the messy desk. Her eyes landing on the paperwork she needed: the list of donors for the week. “The Council has seen to it that I would be given an escort. They sent someone from Ascot to aid me in my journey. They should be arriving today they said.” Rohana spoke but all her mind was concentrated on was the list. How would she get the list past him?

The Doctor met her eyes and both of them just stared for a long moment. Rohana not daring to look away as it might be seen as a sign of dishonesty. He then smiled at her. “Then I bid you farewell, my dear. You have been an excellent help for me.” The redhead felt a ting of pain at betraying the kind Doctor. “Go. If you are to leave tomorrow then enjoy today to gather your possessions and relax. You said your escort arrives today, yes? Then you should be home to greet them when they arrive.” The Doctor turned to head to the room in the back. The room where patients were taken for examinations. As he did so, Rohana slipped the list of names into her satchel.

“I think I will, Doctor. Goodbye. You have been a great teacher and friend,” they gave each other a small smile before Rohana turned to leave. Now, to get the flasks of water.

Sol nodded at Rohana as she explained their failsafe. If she doesn't come back, Sol has to leave. One of them has to live through this predicament. Nevertheless, the nagging feeling of debt towards Rohana had made Sol wish that the necromancer wouldn't be caught this early into their game. She watched as Rohana left the small house and then began to clean up. While she would have loved to elongate the time of washing the dishes as to also push back the time she had to commune with Velzhun. She looked around to see if there's anything else she could do - anything else she could rearrange... but she turned up with nothing. It was understandable too, they were going to leave this place so the condition of the house wouldn't matter much.

She can't keep running away.

Sol moved back to the sofa - eyes passing the ritual circle that was made by the necromancer and where she laid just the night before as her soul was forcibly taken back to her body. She wasn't prepared to die either so this was just a blessing in disguise. She wondered if this was even the correct place to attempt to commune with her. Usually, they'd have to make a small shrine with an offering but Sol had no such luxury. Especially since the entire house reeked fresh with dark magic. Even if she did have the ability and resources to make a shrine, it will have been easily passed over by their patron saint. Which she should have thought of before because now she was having second thoughts about actually attempting a prayer in these conditions. Velzhun has been known to have the ability to respond to the desperate pleas of her followers even in the thick darkness.

She sat on the floor, cross legged as she took out her trinket. She played with Velzhun's symbol in her hands before taking a deep breath and closing her eyes. "Lady of Light, Lady of Hunters, heed the prayer of your lost follower." She started before taking another deep breath. She entered a meditative trance as she focused all of her attention and will towards her prayer. Sol had muttered many things - from forgiveness to guidance on her next hunt. They were all the typical prayers she had recited repeatedly over the years - before and after her hunts.

I have heard your prayers my wayward child.

The voice seemed to echo in her brain. Sol froze. There had been many stories of Velzhun speaking inside people's minds - inside her devout follower's to communicate what she wished to tell everyone. However, Sol has never truly heard of her voice before - and through no small effort of her own. She had been a hunter for many years and only now has she heard her voice.

You have gone through many trials and tribulations and you have upheld the tenets of our organization. You have served us well, my child. You may rest.

Sol bit her lip. "M'lady. I know this is imprudent for me to say, but I cannot rest." Despite not seeing any heavenly image of her patron saint, Sol had simply stared into the white void where she assumed the voice was coming from. "I cannot let my mentor or the citizens of these villages suffer while I can do something about it." She wrung her hands against each other. "I truly do apologize m'lady. I will accept any punishment."

Very well. My child, I implore you to be careful and to take care of this second chance that has been given to you. I assure you, you may coll upon me just like you always have. Your opponents are difficult but you will find a way. Hunt well my child.

"All for your honor, m'lady."

Sol woke up from her trance and time had passed by. She was glad that Velzhun had not left her despite her resurrection. Well then, time to wait for Rohana and she would give the good news and she can start to make some Holy Water.

Rohana made her way to the small merchant store in the heart of Armagh. It usually did not get much business except from the hunters who went out to hunt the wolves and other animals around the town. Was one of the few ways of making money, really. When a trader did come through, they usually bought out most of what was in the store. Thankfully, water was always sold there. They cleaned it themselves as it was better than the well water. As Rohana entered, the bell rang and the large fellow at the counter gave her a nod before turning back to his conversation.

“That one was caught faster than the last hunter,” he spoke in a rough voice to the much smaller man leaning against the counter.

“Well have you seen the size of her? Tiny! How can you expect to be any good when you got no muscle!” He scoffed before taking a long drag from his cigar. His voice matched that of someone who smoked one-too-many cigars in their lifetime.

With a roll of her eyes, Rohana approached the counter with a faux smile on her face. Sol was more capable of hunting than all the hunters in her town. Well, Rohana had not seen her in action, but it was not hard to be better than those in town. Besides, to hunt monsters was much more difficult than beasts. “Hello, boys. Can I buy up some water?”

“Aye, how much?”
The large man looked at her with beady eyes.

The necromancer had to remind herself to not lose her composure under the man's watchful eyes. “Seven flasks should suffice,” The necromancer spoke coolly. Still keeping a smile on her face as they looked at her in shock. “Oh, haven’t you heard? The Council has given me the job in Poltragow. I am going to be their new doctor.”

For a moment, Rohana worried they would not buy her story, but after a laugh with a few pats of congratulations she relaxed. They praised her for moving up in the world. Not too often do people get to leave the settlement and move to another one. Home and all. If only that was the case. “Take an extra one on the house, little Ro.” Rohana only smiled in appreciation, a tinge of guilt for lying. However, if she was successful then everyone would be free. It was worth the lying. At least that was has she reasoned with herself as she left the store with her eight flasks of water that she carried in her medical bag. She had gotten the list, the water, medical bag. Rohana headed home believing she had gotten everything she needed. Tonight, Sol would scout and tomorrow they do their heist and leave town. Hopefully, everything went smoothly. No hoping. It will go smoothly.

The old wooden door of Rohana’s cottage creaked open as she returned. “I am back. I got the water you asked for and the letter. The Doctor wished that I had the day off, so he bought my excuse.”

It was unmistakable. Sol felt happier than before. Despite her face staying the same, she seemed to have more energy in her movement. However, without the sun setting, she could not do anything but meditate. So she had placed herself in an isolated area of the house so that she may be able to focus. Thankfully, no one had decided to visit Rohana's house. She imagined that being a nurse would mean that there was that odd person who would head to their house if they were too scared to head to the doctor. And considering how friendly Rohana seemed to be, she wouldn't be surprised if she had some friendly visitors.

The Hunter knew that it would be of ill will to take something without Rohana's permission so the only things she had moved were the same utensils that were given to her by Rohana. But the most she had truly taken were a few cups of water before she returned to her meditation. While she could normally proceed with hours upon hours without break for her meditation, but her body had needed some sustenance after her resurrection. She found herself having passed out the first hour she was meditating.

The second hour had come and Rohana had not returned. She had continued her meditation a half hour more before moving to get used to her body again. She had practiced a few hand-to-hand moves she had been taught. While Gustavo had made her focus on the usage of weaponry - because most of them could only fight the supernatural with the usage of holy weapons unless they're magically inclined which was very rare - he had also taught her a couple of self-defense moves should she find herself unarmed. It would give them time to either run or plan a strategy or to kill themselves - whatever the situation would allow them to do.

As the door creaked open, Sol had instinctively reached towards her side where her dagger usually was but grabbed at air. When Rohana's voice was carried over, she relaxed her posture. "Welcome back. I'm glad that your endeavor was successful." Sol gave her a nod. "I have also successfully communed with Lady Velzhun and she has given me her blessing for my second life." There was more emotion in her voice as she said this - joy and confidence back.

"Do you have the flasks of water? May I have it?"

Closing the door, Rohana could sense the emotion radiating from her usually much tamer friend. It was odd to say the least but very welcomed. Sol’s smile was infectious and a smile beamed from Rohana in return. “I do have the flasks of water. Eight of them, in fact,” she walked over to the table and placed her bag down on the table before proceeding to pull out the eight flasks. All were made differently, and some more worn than others. “You did not say how much, so I grabbed as many as needed. I assume they are for our journey, yes?” She pursed her lips while giving the huntress a quizzical look. What else could they be used for?

“Oh,” something flashed in Rohana’s eyes as she slammed the medical bag next to the other bag and opened it. “I also managed to grab this as well.” She pulled out the list she stole from the Doctor. The list of names for the blood tax. “I will put the Mayor’s name on the list. It will take a while to forge the document so it is passable, but I can do that.” She gave a sly smile before placing the paper back down on the table.

After a moment of sitting in silence, the redhead started to wonder back on what Sol had said when she first arrived. That she communed with Velzhun or something like that? Honestly, it was a strange name on Rohana’s tongue. “I am glad to hear you have gotten a blessing from your deity.” For most of her life, the young necromancer had never been particularly religious. She faked her devotion to the Blood God, but she figured most people did and if they were true believers then it was out of fear. This however, what Sol had with this foreign goddess, was not fear. Perhaps love? How strange indeed. “If I may, as I have never been particularly religious. What is it like communicating with an otherworldly being such as your deity?”

"Ah. That is more than enough." Sol claimed as Rohana brought out the eight flasks. She eyed them before taking four of the worn out ones. It should be the perfect weight and the amount shouldn't be too much so it shouldn't take her too long to make them. She looked up at Rohana and nodded. "Yes, the extra ones are for the journey ahead of us. I don't imagine Deadwood would be kind enough to provide us water at every turn." She replied with a nod before placing the flasks she had onto the floor in front of her before she sat down, cross legged and took out her trinket. "As for these four, I will bless them to make them Holy Water. It is a good line of defense against the vampires." She continued to explain. It worked on the products of necromancy as well but not the necromancer themselves so she figured that it should be fine to let Rohana carry some around.

She flinched at the sound of the medical bag being placed loudly onto the table but made no other movements as the necromancer continued to explain what she had gotten. It was the list of people to be called in for the blood tax. Sol pursed her lips. The only times she had seen those were when the hunters are already burning the remnants of the vampires' hold on a settlement. "Forgery was fun to learn." She mused idly, remembering the times when sneaking into certain holds was difficult without proper identification. And sometimes, they needed to have certain papers to be able to slip through undetected. It was underhanded but they did what they had to do.

Just as Rohana seemed to quiet down and Sol was about to ask permission to do the ritual, she had spoken up again. She listened before leaning forward, elbows pressed against her thighs in her cross legged position on the floor. She let out a hum as she thought of what to say. Certainly, it had been the first time she had successfully communicated to her deity aside from the usual prayers to create Holy objects. "I cannot quite rightly say. I assume that each experience is different from the other, or it differs for each person." She started off after a moment. "For me, it is calming. Enlightening even. It is a reassurance that I am not alone. It gives me courage to continue on." And perhaps Sol was exaggerating a bit. However, at present time when everything was bleak, Sol found comfort in Velzhun. A will to move forward aside from revenge.

Sol paused for a moment before curiously asking, "Do necromancers not have a deity that they worship in some form?"

A smile crossed Rohana’s face while listening to Sol talk about her connection. All the necromancer knew about religion was twisted and horrendous in comparison to what she had just been told. Gods and religion seemed to cause more pain here. More than what they were worth in Rohana’s opinion. However, she could not lie that hearing Sol talk with such warmth in her voice stirred something in Rohana and caused a small tightness around the heart. The redhead wished she could understand the feeling, the acceptance of something great, anything really. Oh, how it must be reassuring to have a higher power tell you that the path you tread is the correct one.

Snapping back to reality, Rohana let out a small giggle. It honestly never really occurred to Rohana that there might be a religion for necromancy. Perhaps what she did warranted it, but to her a religion had a god, right? Yes, or else what was it? “Oh, no. We do not have a religion for necromancy. Not in the Deadwood anyways. If there is a God for necromancy I have never heard of or worshiped such a deity.” Her eyes looked away for a moment towards her room. The God of Blood was all she knew, and they did indeed bestow necromancy to the vampires but... it was not natural necromancy. They do not use the natural environment's life to manipulate life. They use something tainted, impure. “The only religion around here is to the God of Blood. The Council would stomp out any other religion that sprouted up. As they have tried to stomp out all magic that did not pertain to the God.”

“My Grandmother taught me that some people are born with an innate gift for magic. With time and practice one could learn to harness the inner energies and that of the world around us to change things. The types of magic you do is entirely based on surroundings and what you learned while growing up.”
Oh, how Rohana missed her Nana. The wise woman taught her so much, and could have taught her so much more. Then again, Nana might not have allowed Rohana to bring Sol back to life. The Old, lovely woman was not one to take risks. The one time a risk was taken her life was forfeit. At least Nana went down fighting instead of going with the Council. “I was taught that necromancy was the manipulation of life forces in others, but I used my medical training to manipulate my own as well.” She paused for a moment to give a warm smile.

“Do people from outside the forest only get magic through a deity?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back