• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern welcome to hell, kids!

L0V3LAND

Camp Alpine was the picture-perfect summer camp, the type that you saw on pamphlets — only it actually delivered on what was advertised, at least in the scenery department. It was located in a huge, grassy clearing surrounded. The sunlight filtered through the trees that surrounded the camps in the early morning, casting everything in warm honeyed tones, as if someone had put some sort of golden Instagram filter over the entire thing. The food wasn't too bad either. The activities were pretty so-so, the typical canoeing and archery and arts and crafts that you would find at other camps, but they were still fun.

Yet, despite all of this, Toby still didn't like it.

Maybe it was because he had to walk thirty minutes up the trail because his mom didn't want to drive him all of the way. (She'd made up an excuse about how nice it looked and how it would be a waste not to take a walk and appreciate the scenery, but he knew she just wanted to get him out of the car as soon as possible.) Maybe it was because he hadn't even wanted to go to the camp in the first place. He wanted to be back in Canada, hanging out with his friends. But he wasn't. He was here, at a camp that his mom had only told him that he was going to after she had signed him up and payed for everything. There was no getting out of it.

So here he was, standing in his cabin. There was already another person there; a boy, much taller than he was and with dark dirty blonde hair. Kayden. That's what his name was, Toby had read it on the sheet that told him what cabins the campers were in. There's was Bambi Cabin. All of the cabins were named after a Disney character. It was kind of cute, to be honest. He was just glad he wasn't one of the poor souls that had been stuck in Dumbo Cabin.

"Uh, hi," he said, because an introduction seemed like a good place to start. "I'm your roommate, Toby. It's nice to meet you. Kayden, right?" He didn't know why he was asking. He already knew.

header1.gif
Kayden
How many years had it been since he'd started going to this camp? He counted on his fingers as he dragged his suitcase through the arch designating the camp's area. This was his fifth year, he'd been going since he was twelve. Every summer always came the dreaded day when his mother would announce he'd be going to camp for the summer. The bus would pick him up early in the morning, he'd be dropped off at a stop about a fifteen minute's walk away from the actual camp, and he wouldn't see his home for over a month. He'd also have to dorm with someone else, which he didn't necessarily hate as long as the person wasn't an idiot (spoiler alert: it usually wasn't the other person who was the idiot).

The sun got into his eyes as he looked ahead before glancing back down to his sheet. Scanning the list of cabins, he sighed gratefully knowing he wasn't in the Dumbo cabin again. Who's bright idea was it to name a cabin the Dumbo cabin? Kids would obviously get bullied for being in that cabin, even if they had no choice which cabin they got assigned to. Which cabin was he in? Bambi. Like the deer? He'd never seen most of the classic Disney movies when he was younger, and now he had no true interest in watching them. They were made for kids, they wouldn't be interesting.

He was over a foot taller than this multicolored eyed kid, standing at about 6'3. As he heard footsteps coming in, he quickly found the kid's name so he wouldn't look like he didn't care who his roommate was. Toby Brookes. The kid's name fit him, he looked like a Toby.

"Call me Kayde." He smiled, holding out his hand to shake Toby's. "Hope we get along."

divider1.gif

"Me too." Toby smiled, his shoulders — which had been slightly tense before — relaxing in relief as he shook Kayde's hand. He was really worried that he'd get an asshole roommate. He didn't think he'd be able to handle dealing with a jerk for an entire three months. He was also pretty grateful that there had been no comment about his eyes. That was usually the first thing people pointed out to him: hey, your eyes are different colors! As if he didn't already know.

"So," he walked over to the bed that wasn't occupied and threw his duffel bag down. He'd unpack later today. For now, he wanted to get to know his new roommate. It'd be better for both of them if they became friends. After all, how awkward would it be to sleep in the same room as someone you barely knew? "Are you from around here? I'm not — it was like a seven hour drive. My mom made me wake up at like, four o' clock in the morning to leave." He stretched out his arms and flopped onto the bed, his bag jostling slightly as he did.

header1.gif

Kayden

"'Bout a two hour drive and a fifteen minute walk," he said, reclining on the pillow on his bed. The mattress was hard, and he could feel the springs inside of it digging into him. These beds were worse off than he remembered them. His hair was falling into his face, so he pushed it back and looked at Toby. The short kid was flopped onto his bed, most likely trying to get comfortable.

"If you've been up since 4, you should probably nap before dinner, or something. Don't want to deal with a cranky roommate on the first day," he rolled his eyes and yawned. "Maybe I should nap before dinner. Nothing else to do anyway, they don't have a lot of activities the first few days to get kids settled." Especially the eleven year old kids who hadn't been separated from their parents for more than a day or two being shoved into camp. It'd be a rough few nights at first. He was like that at twelve, since then he's matured. Nobody likes dealing with a snotty preteen with no idea how to care for themselves.

"You here because you want to be? I guess when you're younger this camp is a lot more fun, but not many kids are our age so there's nobody to really have fun with."

divider1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back