Chitchat Weirdest School Dress Code Rules

Oh man, this is so bizarre to me. Like, what the fuck. I can't imagine being banned from wearing tank tops in the summer when it's devilishly hot.

I live in a country where school dress codes don't exist and so far, the society hasn't collapsed on itself. (I mean, it probably will soon considering our political situation, but that's not the fault of non-existent dress codes).
Whats that country out of curiosity

Ehh, I go to a public school in the US of A. We have laidback dress codes. Only noteworthy rules are:

• Fingertip rule: Your shorts have to come down past your fingertips—This is honestly the most inconsistent because not everybody’s hands are the same size, but everybody basically follows it because they don’t really make shorts that short for teenagers anyways. The one time I saw this rule broken was when this girl was walking with a blanket wrapped around her (Which actually started the dress code confrontation in the first place because the teachers were all like “hey you can’t walk around with that”. I thought that was reasonable because my school has two stories and a basement, and there are lots of stairs) and underneath she was dressed in the shortest fucking shorts I have possibly seen. Obviously failed the test.

• Tank tops have to have straps a certain number of inches, no spaghetti straps— Ehh, your standard tank top usually fits this rule, so I’ve never had any problems with this. I do think the whole inches thing is oddly specific though.

• No visible bra straps—This rule is broken often. And nobody gives one. This rule, along with most of the dress code, isn’t that well enforced.

• No chains or spikes— This rule doesn’t really come into play that often since there isn’t a lot of people who are “emo” enough to wear things like this in the first place. Still, I get that they don’t want people wearing something that can be used as a weapon. One time I saw this broken was this emoish kid that had a leather jacket with a chain on it. No idea if he faced consequences for that or if it even counted.

That’s all that’s coming to mind right now. There’s probably some more quirky things I can find if I flip through the handbook, but I don’t want to go that far for a simple personal discussion post.

I still remember when leggings became widely affordable for teenagers and it was forbidden in gym class, as normal clothes etc

Most stupid rule ever.

I still remember when leggings became widely affordable for teenagers and it was forbidden in gym class, as normal clothes etc

Most stupid rule ever.

That’s like the opposite for us. We can wear leggings, and I usually get compliments on them from teachers and other school faculty.

That’s like the opposite for us. We can wear leggings, and I usually get compliments on them from teachers and other school faculty.
Ur 14 right? It was a rule about a decade ago so it probably changed cause my little sisters can wear leggings all the time in elementary school so xD

Ur 14 right? It was a rule about a decade ago so it probably changed cause my little sisters can wear leggings all the time in elementary school so xD

Oh. Yea, age differences between me and other site members are weird sometimes.

None of us are allowed ripped jeans, or even ripped jackets? It's not that weird but for the first year, there were many students who had beef with the principal because of it.

Our highschool put a pregnant girl in in-school suspension every single day of her pregnancy in which she was showing. (They didn't like pregnant highschoolers in the actual school because they thought they'd inspire other girls to get knocked up too, so they'd always quietly tell them to get their GED online and typically they'd leave... but not this girl. It was senior year of high school, her and her BF were engaged to be married so it wasn't a huge ordeal that she'd gotten pregnant. but she refused to finish her GED at home and wanted to do it at the high school)

The dress code got used against her every single day. If she wore materinity clothes, those were considered 'sweat pants' or 'too baggy' and she'd be sent to ISS. If she wore uncomfortable normal clothes she got ISS for her clothes being 'too tight'. Essentially if she was concealing her pregnant belly, her clothes were too lose, if you could see her pregnant belly it was too tight. Literally no winning. They never flat out told her it was BECAUSE she was pregnant, but it's pretty easy to see she was the ONLY person treated like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back