Other weird stuff you believed/did as a kid

so, kids are weird.

so here's a thread for talking about weird stuff we did or believed as a kid. feel free to post however many times you want, since i'm sure there's lots of stories to tell!

so, for me;

as a small kid, i used to believe aliens would try to eat my brain while i was asleep. so i slept with a blanket over my head because i thought that would protect me. i still sleep that way out of habit now.

Sister made me believe lions were under my bed.
Whenever I went to the dentist, and they put that heavy apron on to protect against X-Ray death beams I always got nervous because then they'd leave the room. Like "You fucking need this. I'm out".

After accidentally watching a Law and Order episode that gave me nightmares as a 9-year-old child (I loved the show, but that episode made me stop watching for a while...) I was convinced a gunman was going to shoot me through my bedroom window, so I built a wall of my stuffed animals beside me when I slept to make myself feel better.

I was also convinced the cute little guardian angel statuette above my door actually moved at night. I would pretend to be asleep so I could catch it moving.
I never did.

My mom had me eating cordyceps infested caterpillars when I was young. She told me they were roots that just happened to grow that way. :(

hmm... when I was a child I was terrified of open fire. At some point I read somewhere or maybe watched on TV that you can start fire with help of a magnifying glass. So when I saw anything with lenses - glasses, magnifying lens, camera lens etc I always hid them from view. Every. Single. Time. No one could make much sense of my behaviour. I'm not sure I could myself.

I was also convinced that once I encountered a UFO. I didn't see it only because it was cloudy! But I was very sure I heard it fly somewhere nearby. I don't remember how old I was, maybe primary school or so. Somehow I was very interested in aliens at that time and I really wanted to meet one XDD

So y’all know those kid books that were leveled 1-6? Level one would have like one to three words per page and level six would be short chapters. Well the first level 5 I read was the story of Pompeii. It opened with the people just going about their innocent lives and then the volcano goes off and it tells about how every one had a horrific death.

So I grew up in a city called Stone Mountain and I can always see the mountain. And as i kid I was convinced that Stone Mountain could secretly be a volcano and I was really scared for like 4 years.

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!
So I was just thinking about this this morning. Up until about when I was... Seven? I would eat coffee creamer. The dry, powder stuff. I get a headache every time I even think about the smell now. Also, I thought that coffee was just a mix of a bunch of coffee creamer, water, and some other crap. Ugh...

Oh, boy. The list sure is long for me, but I'll include the funniest ones.

- When I was around thirteen, I was CONVINCED Bloody Mary was real and stayed far - and I mean far away from my bathroom out of fear of her for a good couple of weeks. I would pee outside in the trees before I risked dying at the hands of some creepy ghost lady. Thanks, Supernatural.

- For some reason, as a child, I believed I could actually WALK on one foot as a child. I believed that, while on one foot, I could bend my knee and walk the way you normally would. I realize now that people call that hopping, but I seriously thought I was special.

Oh, boy. The list sure is long for me, but I'll include the funniest ones.

- When I was around thirteen, I was CONVINCED Bloody Mary was real and stayed far - and I mean far away from my bathroom out of fear of her for a good couple of weeks. I would pee outside in the trees before I risked dying at the hands of some creepy ghost lady. Thanks, Supernatural.

- For some reason, as a child, I believed I could actually WALK on one foot as a child. I believed that, while on one foot, I could bend my knee and walk the way you normally would. I realize now that people call that hopping, but I seriously thought I was special.
That sounds, a heck of a lot like how I was when I was a kid. Are we secretly twins?

When I was younger I managed to convince my cousin and my sister that chocolate chip cookies were made from pigs because I was angry at them.

tossing in another thing i did as a kiddo;

i used to "date" people on club penguin. basically we just spammed the heart emoji at each other all the time. so, one day i got curious one day about what it'd be like to have a girlfriend, so i catfished quite a few girls since i thought that was the only way to get one. i was pretty successful + only one person ever figured out that i was actually a girl.

pointing at rainbows is considered bad luck in my country so my mom used to scare me that my arm would get dried up and fall off it i pointed at it. :'c even now i get anxious when i see a rainbow lmao

idk why but i also was terrified of demons and i thought eating a spoonful of salt before going to sleep would protect me from them???????

another story is that my trick ass older sister convinced me if i blew out all the dandelions on a field i'd find a gift on my pillow. i spent almost an hour doing it and wished for a barbie, needless to say i cried all evening when it didn't work :'D

Last edited:

tossing in another thing i did as a kiddo;

i used to "date" people on club penguin. basically we just spammed the heart emoji at each other all the time. so, one day i got curious one day about what it'd be like to have a girlfriend, so i catfished quite a few girls since i thought that was the only way to get one. i was pretty successful + only one person ever figured out that i was actually a girl.
Oh nooo... my repressed memories of Club Penguin from over a decade ago are returning
I would kinda do the same thing. I had no interest in actually “”dating”” on CP, but I’d still dress my penguin as a guy and see how many girls I could make have a crush on me, kinda just to mess with them.
I don’t know why I did this. I feel so guilty about it now

- after i finished eating Reese cups, and i was still hungry, i ate the paper.
- my half sister would always tell me that she was going to come in the middle of the night to scare me, because i would make her mad, and i would stay up until like 3 or 4 am just because i wanted to stay alert so she couldn't scare me,,
- whenever getting those small packs of skittles on valentines day or halloween, i would eat them all at once and think i was s O C O O L--

When I was a kid, I thought that there was a machine doctors could hook you up to that would interpret your dreams. The dreams would play on a TV screen, just like a movie. And that's how they knew people dreamed in black and white and not in color. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was a big fan of The X Files TV show as a kid so I would watch the show recorded on videotape (hello 90s!) since it was usually on TV at like 1am and as a 8/9 year old of course I wasn't awake at that hour (also, age appropriate? We're very permissive in my country regarding that. My parents were totally a-Ok with me watching it. Meh, just leave the nerd kid to her own devices).

So, eventually, after watching an episode with a squiggly blue alien thingy, I somehow got into my head such things were around in the plumbing and would emerge from the toilet. Thankfully that didn't scare me as far as avoiding going to the toilet, but I always put the lid down so the alien thing couldn't invade our home. Kid's logic = totally top notch! No alien invasions to report so far! =D

pointing at rainbows is considered bad luck in my country so my mom used to scare me that my arm would get dried up and fall off it i pointed at it. :'c even now i get anxious when i see a rainbow lmao

idk why but i also was terrified of demons and i thought eating a spoonful of salt before going to sleep would protect me from them???????

another story is that my trick ass older sister convinced me if i blew out all the dandelions on a field i'd find a gift on my pillow. i spent almost an hour doing it and wished for a barbie, needless to say i cried all evening when it didn't work :'D

I’m really curious. Where are you from?

There was this foot massage thing back at our old home. It had blood circulation written on it—dunno why. Young me was curious. He said, to his brothah, Wazzat s'posed tae be, mon?

This brothah is quite amused by his curiosity. He told him that it was a thing that drew out blood.

Young me ate it up like it was somethin.

Luckily, nobody 'cept me remembers. Or maybe they do but are nice enough not to talk talk about it.

I’m really curious. Where are you from?

ah, i'm from slovenia, but i'm not that sure that superstition is believed across the country, probably just the countryside :p

also you guys stories are so wild, i'm glad i wasn't the only one who did dumb stuff :^D

Okay so 1. I was convinced that I would die either via tornado (there aren’t many tornadoes in my state) OR heart disease (I was a very healthy 8 year old).

2. I saw a movie where a couple kissed and they cut to the girl being pregnant, so I assumed that you got pregnant by kissing. Refused to kiss anyone for a very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back