Other weird stuff you believed/did as a kid

I was 100% convinced that when the sun set, it actually just went underground and lit up all the street lights.

I also thought there was some sort of zombie fish dude who had green skin who lived under my bed and if it was dark and I got to close to my bed (standing) he would grab my ankles a pull me under. This resulted in me jumping onto my bed from like three feet away to avoid the side of my bed. *cough cough* I definitely DO NOT still do this *cough*

I was 100% convinced that when the sun set, it actually just went underground and lit up all the street lights.

I also thought there was some sort of zombie fish dude who had green skin who lived under my bed and if it was dark and I got to close to my bed (standing) he would grab my ankles a pull me under. This resulted in me jumping onto my bed from like three feet away to avoid the side of my bed. *cough cough* I definitely DO NOT still do this *cough*
That first thought is really creative and cool!

And lol, the second one... Despite the fact that I never believed in monsters, I was still subconsciously afraid of them, and felt like my blanket could protect me. So I had a habit of sprinting and launching myself onto my bed at full speed and burying myself in my covers as quickly as possible, treating it like a "race" of sorts - like... if I didn't get under my blanket quick enough, I'd get eaten lol.
...I still do that to this day. Just a weird habit

That first thought is really creative and cool!

And lol, the second one... Despite the fact that I never believed in monsters, I was still subconsciously afraid of them, and felt like my blanket could protect me. So I had a habit of sprinting and launching myself onto my bed at full speed and burying myself in my covers as quickly as possible, treating it like a "race" of sorts - like... if I didn't get under my blanket quick enough, I'd get eaten lol.
...I still do that to this day. Just a weird habit
Yeah ! I never really had the 'monster' thing, I just thought there was this creepy old dude who for some reason wore seaweed under my bed.

I believed dat if u were loud durin thunderstorm u made it worse. I also believed dat if u look outside a window durin lightning storm, u risk gettin struck. Ikr. Crazy asf. 💀💀💀

I was quite afraid of the dark when I was younger, as well as that loud THX logo you see at the start of many Disney DVDs for whatever reason (Seriously, who decided that something like that was alright to show on films marketed towards children?). So as you'd expect, my mind combined these fears into one, as when I was very young I used to have nightmares where it would show up suddenly and scare me awake, and then I'd be convinced that it was roaming the halls of my house, waiting for the perfect moment to ambush me and scare me with its loud noise. This fear lingered well into my early teens, and even now I feel somewhat nervous when I have to use the bathroom late at night and walk through the dark halls.

There were two things that I've done or have stuck to me as a child at the influence of my grandfather.

1. I was about 4 years old sitting around under a shade, hiding from the summer's heat with my grand
father. I was watching him as he looked up into the sky and he started to whistle. It wasn't a song but
a soft calling. I asked him why he was doing that. He said he was calling for the wind. As soon as he
said that, a cool breeze rushed to us. He said it was a secret skill within the family. From then on, I try
to "call" or softly whistle if I want nature to fan me.

2. After I learned the special tune that my grandfather does to call for the wind, I began to practice whis-
ling as much as I could. I wanted to call the wind to. For some reason, my family never got annoyed by
it. They fully supported it, until I began to whistle at night. Mom would stop me, said no whistling after
sun down. I thought they were just done with me for the day. However, it was my grandmother that told
me why. She said, "If you whistle at night, the snake will come and eat you whole." That scared me. The
snake she refers to is a mythical creature that flies with the wind. Just as you can call the wind to cool you
during the day, you can also call the "snake" to take you away, permanently. I know it was just superstition,
but I can't stand it if people whistle at night.

My father likes to bring up how he threatened to ground me [for doing something naughty] as a kid and I started crying and became terrified of my parents for weeks. I thought to "ground" a child meant to like feed them through a grinder and shred them into a bloody pulp (the visual which immediately popped into my mind as a 5-year-old kid upon hearing the term for the first time). They then couldn't for the life of themselves convince me that it just meant a prolonged time-out in my room.

- In elementary school, I thought I was a dragon. A tiny ass, bratty dragon, but a dragon. I ran in our school grounds flapping my arms like an idiot and pretending I was hunting. My classmates got me to say that dragons weren't real and proceeded to guilt-trip me saying, "Oh, bummer, I thought dragons were real". I told the teacher who promptly had no idea what the hell I was so upset about.

- To add to the dragon thing, it doesn't end there. Oh no. I was also a wolf. I was a wolf-dragon. I was a wolgon. My brother literally said I would just be a wolf with dragon wings and not a wolf-dragon hybrid but I wouldn't listen to him. I woke my dad up at 3 AM by walking around on all fours and carrying pillows with my teeth.

- I thought FIREFOX was a mythical creature. Yes. Mozilla Firefox, the browser. My brother once informed of its partner Thunderbird and I thought that was a mythical creature too.

- I woke up in the middle of the night with a massive pain in my throat so I woke up my dad, who literally just went "That's just puberty, son, go back to sleep." Thanks, dad. I now believe that that pain is the reason I have such a raspy voice. Never found out what it actually was.

I was a stupid kid.

Last edited:
I actually thought a sewage plant was an actual plant. I had an imaginary picture of one in my head and everything. Purple petals and a greenish stigma to represent its terrible smell.

As a kid, I thought that potatoes were poisonous until you cooked them. >.>
My mother told me a silly myth that I believed for a long time: your blood is blue until you're cut/scraped/ect. The basis for this was because we're all pretty pale/cool toned, and when you're cool toned, you're veins have a bluish look. Believed that up until 5th grade science class, ty Miss Williams <3

Also, whenever I needed to seriously let off some steam, I'd take a favorite show or anime I was watching, make a quick character, and basically LARP with only me and my imagination. Mayyyyyyyyyyyybbeeee did that more so for all the dudes I crushed on hardcore XD

Welp sit down guys this is gonna be more than one thing i did as a kid
Its gonna be freaking hilarious and terrifying

I used to think incense was weed for some reason?

So whenever my parents burnt incense and had guests come over, I was always terrified we were going to have the cops called on us and we would all go to jail.

I used to believe that you're not allowed to drink coffee until you're twenty-one. Like it was alcohol or something.

I put scissors in the pencil sharpener and caused my class to not go to recess

i used to believe the fictional characters i had a crush on were real (i specifically remember peter pan and ash ketchum) and always secretly watching me from somewhere, so i'd kinda modify my behavior like people sometimes do in front of their actual crushes because i wanted them to like me

i also for some reason thought fictional characters somehow had voices on their own?? like, there wasn't a voice actor behind the character, it was just the character somehow managing to speak on their own

i thought i saw a ghost once! i'm still not sure if it was real, because it sure seemed real at ten years old!

Oh boy here I go. I used to be terrified of the hairdresser because I was so sure cutting my hair would hurt. The weird thing is that I had haircuts before and This fear just came out of nowhere. I knew it had never hurt before but it would be different this time! Spoiler; it never hurt. I would keep going to get my hair cut, and my fear remained. I was a stupid kid.

For whatever reason when I was younger I believed that every tree was an apple tree.

Apple trees don't even grow in my country.

my cousin told me if i got a math prob wrong a clown would come and press a button on his nose making me burst into flames.
i believed him for like 3 months ( i was like 6 thats my excuse )

also stole 3 cans of fancy feast by accident ( i was also like 6 then and i just put them in a thing my mom was buying and neither her or the cashier thought to OPEN IT TO CHECK FOR CAT FOOD... we didnt even have a cat i just wanted one so i thought food would attract them) and i ended up thinking the president was going to come personally arrest me?

my cousin told me if i got a math prob wrong a clown would come and press a button on his nose making me burst into flames.
i believed him for like 3 months ( i was like 6 thats my excuse )

also stole 3 cans of fancy feast by accident ( i was also like 6 then and i just put them in a thing my mom was buying and neither her or the cashier thought to OPEN IT TO CHECK FOR CAT FOOD... we didnt even have a cat i just wanted one so i thought food would attract them) and i ended up thinking the president was going to come personally arrest me?
Don't worry, i didnt forget! We all get whats coming to us, sneakthief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back