• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Bug Weird code bug (Mysterious person tag)

Necessity4Fun

I'll keep trying, even if I'm not good enough...
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I was just writing up a CS and I normally put [Person's name] or something like that as a placeholder. This time, I did the same thing but I wrote [Person] instead and the editor freaked out. I saved it and checked the code again. Turns out it thought that meant a tag for something (IDK what) and assumed I hadn't closed it... A mysterious [/Person] tag had even shown up.

That was weird. I wrote it down in-between PLAIN tags above so it wouldn't freak out, but maybe give it a little check when you have the time...

Last edited:
Cause we've been driving so long I can't remember how we got here
Or how we survived so long out trying to run from our pride til you set fire to my atmosphere
And I remember how I'd spend the 23rd feeling 6 feet under, when I'm 30,000 feet in the air
Chasing that sundown
So far east I'm westbound
Feeling like the edge of this world is near.

Code:
Cause we've been driving so long I can't remember how we got here

[Person]Or how we survived so long out trying to run from our pride til you set fire to my atmosphere[/person]

And I remember how I'd spend the 23rd feeling 6 feet under, when I'm 30,000 feet in the air

[Person]Chasing that sundown[/person]
So far east I'm westbound

[Person]Feeling like the edge of this world is near.[/person]

I'm so confused.

Saaaaame! It has such a weird effect too ^^'

O.o

We'll look into it!

It's actually part of a different BBCode; Tutorial - RpNation - BBcode Guide
It's meant to mark a "person" within the e-mail BBCode format, so using it outside of it obviously it doesn't work as intended. Something to look into.

It's actually part of a different BBCode; Tutorial - RpNation - BBcode Guide
It's meant to mark a "person" within the e-mail BBCode format, so using it outside of it obviously it doesn't work as intended. Something to look into.
Ohhhhhh, I don't really use that one, so I had no idea!
A bit odd that it works out of the mail code tho, oh well, at least we know where it comes from now. I was so confused XD

Ohhhhhh, I don't really use that one, so I had no idea!
A bit odd that it works out of the mail code tho, oh well, at least we know where it comes from now. I was so confused XD
Yeah, this actually isn't the first time someone inquired about this issue. XD I'm not sure what can be done about it other than Alteras Alteras being magical and coming up with an answer, lol.

lol

I'm currently working on updating the original bbcode. I had thoughts about updating how the mail bbcode worked, but just looking at it from a user standpoint, there really isn't much that i can do to make it better. Probably a tag change in the future, like using something other than "person," but at this point, you just got unlucky.

The most I can offer is just adding in a space or a star or something to make it not a bbcode?
Like:

[Person 1] hello
[Person ] Hi
[Person*]

lol

I'm currently working on updating the original bbcode. I had thoughts about updating how the mail bbcode worked, but just looking at it from a user standpoint, there really isn't much that i can do to make it better. Probably a tag change in the future, like using something other than "person," but at this point, you just got unlucky.

The most I can offer is just adding in a space or a star or something to make it not a bbcode?
Like:

[Person 1] hello
[Person ] Hi
[Person*]
Making the brackets into curly braces ( {} ) instead would probably work too

Making the brackets into curly braces ( {} ) instead would probably work too
I'll see if I can figure out how to do that, but at that point it's just pushing the problem to another set of characters. It'll take more time to fashion it like the accordion tags where {slide=hello}{/slide} doesn't do anything.

I'll see if I can figure out how to do that, but at that point it's just pushing the problem to another set of characters. It'll take more time to fashion it like the accordion tags where {slide=hello}{/slide} doesn't do anything.
I meant for Necessity4Fun Necessity4Fun XD Her changing the brackets into braces ("{Person}") is a possible solution to her problem as well without changing the text much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back