• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Help Website not working?

Cold Ramen Noodles

This account is closed.
Hey. :) I know awhile ago that some people reported the site stopping for them. And it happened to me before too but seems to be happening more often now. Not enough to be a bother...but it can go off for a whole minute at times until I refresh the page enough for it to work again.

I get timed out errors and what not. I've gotten them on different browsers. But my internet is fine. While experiencing issues with this site, I can be using the same browser just a different tab and go on whatever websites I want. No issue. Just this one site.

And like I said, I know I'm not the only person whose mentioned issues. Any idea what might be going on?

Hmm, I've had some of the same issues. Since others have also experienced this, that means that the issue is most likely not on our side, but rather on RPN. Now this is not definitive, but I have suspicions that it could be due to the poor weather in the area where the servers are located. Take a look at this:
The site’s server that we built is actually co-located in a datacenter in downtown Miami near where I live. The Datacenter Facility is actually made with hurricanes and all sorts of natural disasters in mind. It has its own separate power source from the city and all that kind of stuff. But it is still possible for it to be affected and the physical servers to be damaged or for the facility (even with power on) to be disconnected from the outside world if all the internet providers to the facility go offline.

To this end, instead of our regular nightly backup, Ghan Ghan will be backing up the site hourly. In the off chance the Miami Datacenter is disconnected, Ghan will grab the latest hourly backup (so you might lose some posts up to an hour) and bring the site back online in a different part of the United States.

This is most likely not going to happen, but it's better to be safe than sorry!
So the sporadic errors could be due to the internet providers being temporarily interrupted or Ghan taking the site offline for a little bit to back it up.

Hmm, I've had some of the same issues. Since others have also experienced this, that means that the issue is most likely not on our side, but rather on RPN. Now this is not definitive, but I have suspicions that it could be due to the poor weather in the area where the servers are located. Take a look at this:

So the sporadic errors could be due to the internet providers being temporarily interrupted or Ghan taking the site offline for a little bit to back it up.

Thank you for this. :) But, the reports from before happened months before any weather issues this large. And I had the issues months before as well. They've been happening for awhile now. Also, the website seems to be up according to that one site where you can check even though it won't work for me.

Thank you for this. :) But, the reports from before happened months before any weather issues this large. And I had the issues months before as well. They've been happening for awhile now. Also, the website seems to be up according to that one site where you can check even though it won't work for me.
Yeah np, sorry I wasn't of more help. Not sure then, I think Ghan Ghan is responsible for network related stuff so hopefully they can clear things up for you. I know of that site you are referring to, and it is used to see if the site is down to just you or others, but since you can access other sites at the same time, I'm not sure whats up.

Yeah np, sorry I wasn't of more help. Not sure then, I think Ghan Ghan is responsible for network related stuff so hopefully they can clear things up for you. I know of that site you are referring to, and it is used to see if the site is down to just you or others, but since you can access other sites at the same time, I'm not sure whats up.

Don't worry about it. :) Thank you anyway. And yeah, it's just this one site. And it's so weird.

I'm not currently aware of any issues with the site.

Hurricane Irma couldn't bring it offline either or so much as cause a hiccup.

Hey. :) I know awhile ago that some people reported the site stopping for them. And it happened to me before too but seems to be happening more often now. Not enough to be a bother...but it can go off for a whole minute at times until I refresh the page enough for it to work again.

I get timed out errors and what not. I've gotten them on different browsers. But my internet is fine. While experiencing issues with this site, I can be using the same browser just a different tab and go on whatever websites I want. No issue. Just this one site.

And like I said, I know I'm not the only person whose mentioned issues. Any idea what might be going on?

Maybe it is the backup system?

I think the backup system has lock the database for a tiny bit amount of time. I'm not completely sure. This is a question best suited for Ghan Ghan

Like I said, the site says that it's still up. But it won't work for me. And any other site..name it, I can access it in a different tab while getting an error for this one. And I've tried on different internet services as well while using my phone elsewhere. I still get the error.

Some things that can help us is telling us the specific error, since there are quite a few. The error code gives insight into what may be happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back