• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern We who Embody Fiction interest check

Lordxana0

In the world of fiction certain concepts exist that define characters contained within them. The Hapless Loser whose life will always go in the wrong direction. The Lone Antihero who is considered an outcast among his peers but holds the heart of a hero within. There are hundreds of examples that can be pulled from all manner of stories, but what if the world of fiction and reality were to interact in a subtle way?

In this world there are certain people who embody the ideas of these fictional tropes, who the world will reshape itself around to fit within the 'story' that would be best built around their particular embodiment. The Mean Girl will always have a hoard of loyal followers no matter how wicked she is, and the stoner will always manage to have a certain amount of wisdom to share when the moment is right. To those who don't embody these ideas the world around them is as it should be, but when one person who contains an embodiment meets another there is an instant recognition that they contain their own ability.

Those who embody these 'tropes' are the only ones able to actually recognize and be unaffected by each other, thus making them the only real friends or enemies that they can have. But directly fighting each other isn't quite allowed, as the 'story' created by that is often too predictable in one direction or the other. The Bully who isn't ever judged fighting against the Mysterious New Boy will more often then not result in the 'story' of the world changing to allow the New Boy to win the fight even without any particular skill in combat.

But the world is large and it is rare to find more then one or two people who embody such ideas in the same place. However by either fate or destiny six new students have arrived at Mallium High, a boarding school attended by both men and women, each working to create a story that is best for them. However their 'story' might clash with that of another.

Of course no one human is truly defined by their aspect that they embody, thus there is internal conflict as well. The Nerd might want to break out of his narrowly defined role and do something fun with his classmates, but will have to craft a story to allow him too.

TLDR is that your characters embody certain tropes to the point where it warps reality around them to hold them in those roles. Any interest?

Sounds interesting.... but I do have three questions:
1. Posting requirements?
2. Pic preferences?
3. Plot's direction? So far all you gave was a premise, we don't know what we're actually supposed to be doing. Or this slice of life?

Sounds interesting.... but I do have three questions:
1. Posting requirements?
2. Pic preferences?
3. Plot's direction? So far all you gave was a premise, we don't know what we're actually supposed to be doing. Or this slice of life?

1. Well it will be paragraph style roleplay, which essentially means write as much as you want so long as its in standard book format. I find that in a long running game it becomes best to forgo average limits as players will usually fall into a comfortable grove with each other.
2. I prefer people don't use real people as character photo's if only because it can raise certain trouble with people not wanting a photo used for certain things. Otherwise I don't really have any issue on this matter.
3. Its a more slice of life with occasional plot things happening. So I would say about 60% of the game would be characters interacting and building their own stories, while the other 40% would be the academy holding events or a deeper narrative taking over and trying to draw characters in. Which in grand fashion of a meta roleplay built around characters being forced into stories can become complicated by people trying to twist it to their own end.

As for the plot itself

Essentially the academy is run by someone whose 'trope' would be 'Headmaster of an Odd School', which essentially means his entire life was moved in such a way that he ended up the headmaster of an academy where other people defined by 'tropes' would come. His main goal is to study people so he can figure out a way to break out of the box reality has put him in. It would be up to each individual person to decide if they want to help or hinder that goal. After all the 'bratty girl who everyone adores' will have a different opinion on their 'trope' then someone who is always forced to be known as 'the lone outcast'.

1. Well it will be paragraph style roleplay, which essentially means write as much as you want so long as its in standard book format. I find that in a long running game it becomes best to forgo average limits as players will usually fall into a comfortable grove with each other.
2. I prefer people don't use real people as character photo's if only because it can raise certain trouble with people not wanting a photo used for certain things. Otherwise I don't really have any issue on this matter.
3. Its a more slice of life with occasional plot things happening. So I would say about 60% of the game would be characters interacting and building their own stories, while the other 40% would be the academy holding events or a deeper narrative taking over and trying to draw characters in. Which in grand fashion of a meta roleplay built around characters being forced into stories can become complicated by people trying to twist it to their own end.

As for the plot itself

Essentially the academy is run by someone whose 'trope' would be 'Headmaster of an Odd School', which essentially means his entire life was moved in such a way that he ended up the headmaster of an academy where other people defined by 'tropes' would come. His main goal is to study people so he can figure out a way to break out of the box reality has put him in. It would be up to each individual person to decide if they want to help or hinder that goal. After all the 'bratty girl who everyone adores' will have a different opinion on their 'trope' then someone who is always forced to be known as 'the lone outcast'.
Well then count me in! I'mma try a little girl trope of some kind... I should probably go to TVtropes and try to track a few

Do we get just one trope or multiple, per character?

Well then count me in! I'mma try a little girl trope of some kind... I should probably go to TVtropes and try to track a few

Do we get just one trope or multiple, per character?

Their reality is defined by one trope or character idea, but outside of that they can have their own personality and wants. Its just the universe itself puts up a 'nevermind that' if they do something that might change how they interact. Such as the 'Popular Girl' doing something that would make people laugh at them will just cause people to think it is 'in' now, unless another persons 'story' was set up in such a way that the action would embarass them.

Basically a 'fight' between two people with tropes is them trying to 'write around' the other persons own trope.

Their reality is defined by one trope or character idea, but outside of that they can have their own personality and wants. Its just the universe itself puts up a 'nevermind that' if they do something that might change how they interact. Such as the 'Popular Girl' doing something that would make people laugh at them will just cause people to think it is 'in' now, unless another persons 'story' was set up in such a way that the action would embarass them.

Basically a 'fight' between two people with tropes is them trying to 'write around' the other persons own trope.
Question though: what if someone's trope is that their an asshole (along the lines of jerk jock or aalpha b****) and they do nice things? How does the universe wrote around that?

Question though: what if someone's trope is that their an asshole (along the lines of jerk jock or aalpha b****) and they do nice things? How does the universe wrote around that?
Those things will probably be interpretated or accidentally become bad things

Much like Idea said it will be ignored, treated as a one time thing, or become a misunderstanding. However if one crafts a strong enough story you could change the trope a bit. But the world will always do it's upmost to stick you in a box. So most of the time it will be modified to somehow reflect poorly or be misunderstood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back