• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic We Never Sleep

Pat

Three Thousand Club
Screenshot_20180818-175258.png

We Never Sleep

The Pinkerton Galactic Detective Agency offers their trusted services to the highest bidders across the unimaginably vast expanse of the Milky Way Galaxy. Their agents can be found in every charted solar system, civilized or not, discretely finding answers and brazenly solving problems for their clients. For some reason or other, your characters sought and achieved employment with the private company in the recent past. Having finally just completed their three months of training in order to become junior agents on board the organization's mobile faster than light headquarters, they're now reporting to the office of the chief director for their first truely independent assignment.

Last edited:
Pat Pat Am I able to create a character who has been with the company once before, went into retirement, and just joined with them once more?

I like a bit of variety to a highly unlikely event such as all of us being thrown into the same career of course! In any case - colored me interested

Pat Pat Am I able to create a character who has been with the company once before, went into retirement, and just joined with them once more?

I like a bit of variety to a highly unlikely event such as all of us being thrown into the same career of course! In any case - colored me interested
You can be a reserve or a reinstated (former) Pinkerton, junior agent rank. Reserves are called upon whenever agents are needed to replace losses or for larger operations. Reinstated folk are people who retired or for some other reason left the company and haven't returned in a few years, losing their badges and requiring them to go through the training process all over again. Since your character has had experience with the business before, they'll likely favor him or her when it comes to assigning momentary leadership roles for the missions your characters undertake.

Last edited:
Congenial Organism Congenial Organism . You should add a unit to the number you provided for your character's height. You also don't need to include 'veteran' as a specialization. Pinkerton agents are most known for strikebreaking. While usually violent in their methods, they have been known to resolve them through blackmail. They also have been hired to solve a plethora of crimes, in addition to bounty hunting jobs, guarding facilities, finding missing people, serving as bodyguards, uncovering secrets, and so on. Essentially, everything someone with a gun or a talent for spying can do, they've been paid to do it before. Usually this means Pinkerton agents are... Morally flexible. But much of the time they do legitimate and ethical work for clients.

Congenial Organism Congenial Organism . You should add a unit to the number you provided for your character's height. You also don't need to include 'veteran' as a specialization. Pinkerton agents are most known for strikebreaking. While usually violent in their methods, they have been known to resolve them through blackmail. They also have been hired to solve a plethora of crimes, in addition to bounty hunting jobs, guarding facilities, finding missing people, serving as bodyguards, uncovering secrets, and so on. Essentially, everything someone with a gun or a talent for spying can do, they've been paid to do it before. Usually this means Pinkerton agents are... Morally flexible. But much of the time they do legitimate and ethical work for clients.
Alright thank you very much and I'll put a bit more thought into the character sheet now that I have an expectation to follow.

I do have another question though... how many specialties are we allowed to have before our specializations start diminishing? Pat Pat

Alright thank you very much and I'll put a bit more thought into the character sheet now that I have an expectation to follow.

I do have another question though... how many specialties are we allowed to have before our specializations start diminishing? Pat Pat
One. If you have two, they're half as effective as the first. And so on.

Pat Pat I've changed almost everything. I picked four specialties which sounds like quite a few (at least to me) but I'm rationalizing that because of his involvement with the security firm prior and also his age would play a part in him being better at those 4 specialties than someone who is just coming into the company (with the same specialties) at say... the age of 20. Is that a fair assessment?

Pat Pat I've changed almost everything. I picked four specialties which sounds like quite a few (at least to me) but I'm rationalizing that because of his involvement with the security firm prior and also his age would play a part in him being better at those 4 specialties than someone who is just coming into the company (with the same specialties) at say... the age of 20. Is that a fair assessment?
Your character will have 'soft' benefits for being with the company prior. Age has advantages and disadvantages, but usually they're not important. These specialities and ages and even prior employment with the company have nothing to do with specializations as to keep players largely equal to each other at first when it comes to 'hard' benefits. You'll likely be more proficient at standard skills each Pinkerton agent is expected to possess however, but not significantly so. Like shooting, physical acts, movement in zero gravity, pattern recognition, blending in, and so on.

Your character will have 'soft' benefits for being with the company prior. Age has advantages and disadvantages, but usually they're not important. These specialities and ages and even prior employment with the company have nothing to do with specializations as to keep players largely equal to each other at first when it comes to 'hard' benefits. You'll likely be more proficient at standard skills each Pinkerton agent is expected to possess however, but not significantly so. Like shooting, physical acts, movement in zero gravity, pattern recognition, blending in, and so on.
Ah I thought that may be the case, glad I asked however.

Pat Pat Thinking of switching some specializations. But before I do that (because I don't want to keep changing up my character) could you give me an idea of what skills are going to be covered in training? What skills every agent will have regardless of specialization? It just seems like multi-linguist may be a bit redundant - as in that it seems like something every spy would have to know unless they only deal with local affairs.

FireMaiden FireMaiden Hello there! Welcome to the interest check :D I think it's still open because there is only one other person who has posted their CS currently.

Hi there! Is this still open?
It is.
Pat Pat Thinking of switching some specializations. But before I do that (because I don't want to keep changing up my character) could you give me an idea of what skills are going to be covered in training? What skills every agent will have regardless of specialization? It just seems like multi-linguist may be a bit redundant - as in that it seems like something every spy would have to know unless they only deal with local affairs.

FireMaiden FireMaiden Hello there! Welcome to the interest check :D I think it's still open because there is only one other person who has posted their CS currently.
I don't care how many times you change your character. Just presume training is similar to that of police academies and boot camps. Learning any language at all isn't a part of training. They only have three months.

It is.

I don't care how many times you change your character. Just presume training is similar to that of police academies and boot camps. Learning any language at all isn't a part of training. They only have three months.
Alright so because this is taking place in the future and the races, hair colors, etc. have to be realistic... I'm assuming you're going for a believable plot and world. So with that being said, we will most likely have access to common social devices such as smartphones and other things correct? If that is true then would it be reasonable to assume we would have commercially and publicly available devices to translate foreign languages back to us and vice versa? (there are currently real world earbuds that translate foreign language via google I believe)

Edit: if not that's fine as well I tend to overcomplicate things. Pat Pat

Last edited:
Alright so because this is taking place in the future and the races, hair colors, etc. have to be realistic... I'm assuming you're going for a believable plot and world. So with that being said, we will most likely have access to common social devices such as smartphones and other things correct? If that is true then would it be reasonable to assume we would have commercially and publicly available devices to translate foreign languages back to us and vice versa? (there are currently real world earbuds that translate foreign language via google I believe)

Edit: if not that's fine as well I tend to overcomplicate things. Pat Pat
Yeah. Such devices would exist but they wouldn't necessarily be updated often or available within the entirety of the galaxy. It's such a big place with so many people it's impossible to get something that works for every planet before a dozen more languages pop up. People are so far apart it takes years if not decades and centuries for messages to reach their intended recipients, and its often much faster just to travel there and tell them in person. Within the core worlds however, communication and languages would be maintained well and kept up to date.

Yeah. Such devices would exist but they wouldn't necessarily be updated often or available within the entirety of the galaxy. It's such a big place with so many people it's impossible to get something that works for every planet before a dozen more languages pop up. People are so far apart it takes years if not decades and centuries for messages to reach their intended recipients, and its often much faster just to travel there and tell them in person. Within the core worlds however, communication and languages would be maintained well and kept up to date.
That's more or less what a meant just a device that would allow for social interactions within the planet's own culture. It works best that way in any case... like having a burner phone I can discard the device and get a new one once I'm on another planet, or something.

That's more or less what a meant just a device that would allow for social interactions within the planet's own culture. It works best that way in any case... like having a burner phone I can discard the device and get a new one once I'm on another planet, or something.
Most planets would be able to provide those for outsiders, either for free or for a price if they don't speak one of the more common languages, but others are far more primitive or merely outposts and space stations.

Pat Pat I've adjusted the character sheet, I think this will be the last time.

doodleSM doodleSM
Nyq Nyq
Fishman Lord Fishman Lord
FireMaiden FireMaiden

Are all of you still interested? I ask because it feels like an opportune time to get to know some of you since we'll be roleplaying together after-all. Although it's fine if you don't wish to I thought I'd extend an invitation to get acquainted with everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back