• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern We aren't all Monsters

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Shog

The Infinite Being
The year is 2020. The city of Northwood, located on the coast of northern California, is nothing too special. It has a college, thriving community, and a developing technology district. It's a good size, housing around 800,000 people. Half a year ago, an explosion in the old Meyer's Industrial Plant blanketed the city and some of the surrounding area in unknown radiation. No one ever discovered what happened, but it left the city in chaos for the better part of a week. This became known as the Meyer's Incident, or even just the Incident.

A month later the city was turned upside down again. A bank was robbed by a person who shot fire from their hands. Soon others came out of the woodwork, using their new-found powers to their own end. Naturally some stepped up to help out and an entire division of the local law enforcement was created to help counter the "Enhanced," as the powered became known as. This new unit, the Enhanced Control Unit (ECU), is made mostly of enhanced, being more equipped than normal people to handle the situations Enhanced pose. To further ease the public, all Enhanced became required to register and using your power while not registered could lead to prison time (even if it wasn't used maliciously). This posed two large problems. One: Not all powers developed immediately. Six months later, people are still discovering new powers. Two: Being a registered Enhanced could make finding a job harder.

As if only to make the lives of Enhanced even harder, a slave trade popped up around them. What's more lucrative than selling people with extraordinary abilities, after all? The entire operation, despite being fairly new, has been monopolized by one group. All efforts of catching the ring leaders have thus far been unsuccessful. There are also rumors of a third party collecting Enhanced, but who listens to the whispers in the wind?

Isaac wasn't happy about being driven away from the ocean, but he trusted Frank, er, Professor Corgi. He didn't say why he wanted Isaac to visit his lab, but he assumed it had something to do with his condition. That's what they usually talked about. As much as he appreciated Corgi's help, he still chastised himself for being discovered in the first place. It's true that most of the sightings aligned with his first couple weeks as a shark-man, but he should have been more careful none the less.

He got most of his information from his colleague, Dr. Collins. She caught him up on the changes the city underwent since the Meyer's Incident and even compiled everything she could find on him. The blurry pictures taken of him were thankfully never enough to warrant front page news, but some forums popped up entirely dedicated to the "Thresher." That honestly bugged him more than being in the news. It was pretty apparent that the shark DNA he was working with caused his current form, but he wasn't even working with the DNA of a thresher shark! Oh well, nothing he could do about it now.

The truck slowed down and stopped more frequently than it would on the open road. It finally backed up and stopped. He stood up as the doors opened. He'd arrived at Dr. Corgi's lab.

Agent23 Agent23 fuil fuil Left Out Left Out Chiryoshi Chiryoshi NofaceFell NofaceFell

Prof Corgi.

Franks Tail wagged with apparent joy as the truck containing Isaac pulled into the laboratories large shipment bay. He had been working with the man for a little over two weeks now and did so enjoy his visits. Though the smell of fresh fish lingered a bit longer than he would've cared for it too. He wouldn't let that dampen his mood however, it was rare that he met someone as knowledgeable as Isaac. The young Sharkman had even corrected Him on a few things, no easy task mind you.

He floated up to meet his fishy friend and couldn't help but whine a little as the door took forever to open. Nonetheless he smiled (or rather bared his teeth.) at the Intimidating figure and his kind coworker. "Isaac My good chum, how have you been? Any luck with the species identifications today?" he said, silently proud of his "chum" pun. "I've been doing some work on my end and i may have found an explanation for your seemingly random mutations." his voice came out with a giddy excitement that showed even through the robot sounding voice of the Translator.

the professor stopped for a bit hovering in midair as he seemed to realize something"oh how rude of me that trip must've been uncomfortable. Would you like a beverage? Perhaps a snack if somekind?" he then began hovering off in the direction of the living area of his lab without waiting for a response. He shouted to Isaac from the kitchen amidst the clatter an clangs of him searching for something. "Ive also invited a few other guests with...similar conditions to your own. Hopefully that doesn't dampen your mood i figured we could all use the social interaction after all we have spent the last couple of months cooped up in our respective labs." he finally emerged holding a trey full of little bits of meat skewered by toothpicks. The meat was uncooked, a guilty pleasure he had acquired since becoming a canine. One he hoped isaac shared because he didn't have much else, it was long since past time he went out for groceries.

Shog Shog fuil fuil Left Out Left Out Chiryoshi Chiryoshi NofaceFell NofaceFell

Isaac had actually brought along a bag with files depicting the various species he seemed to be made of. It was only yesterday that he and Dr. Collins completed all of the tests necessary. The experiment he was working on during the night of the Incident involved looking at a specific region of a gene found in all sharks and then comparing the ones found in northern California to those more commonly found around Southern California and Mexico. It was a lot to look for, but still smaller than just guessing "shark."

He waited for Frank to finish all of his thoughts before attempting to speak. He'd grown accustomed to his energetic behavior. Even if they'd only been working together for two weeks, he was already in the habit of keeping a checklist of everything Frank said. 1: Show him the files. 2: Ask him to elaborate on his recent explanations. 3: Food and beverage. His first instinct was to turn down the offer, but as soon as he smelled the meat he changed his mind. It had been a while since his last meal... heck, he didn't even have real meals any more. Now he just hunted down a fish to eat whenever he felt hungry. He could barely remember what cooked meat tasted like, but determined long ago raw was the way to go. And he'd never been much of a sushi person before! 4: Wait... others? His first thought was to press the subject further, but he supposed this couldn't end too horribly. He doubted Frank meant other animal people when he said "similar conditions," but that did mean that they'd hopefully react better than most. And, truth be told, he missed people. That wasn't something he ever thought he'd say, but for nearly half a year his only source of human interaction was Dr. Collins, and then Frank for a couple weeks. Besides, he was here now. Either he waited to meet them or... what? Go back into the truck and hide? No, that wouldn't do at all. Once again, Frank was right.

He approached Frank and pulled out the files, placing them on a table. A note attached to the front read "This is information regarding all the species I am composed of. Isaac." Next he grabbed a piece of skewered meat. Thankfully there was fish available. He didn't know what eating red meat would do in his digestive system and had no interest in figuring out the night he was to meet total strangers. "Thank you," he said in a deep, gruff voice. He then took a moment to compose his sentences. The longer the were, the harder they were as well. He hated speaking so simply, but it often worked best. "When do others arrive? What have you leaned?"

Agent23 Agent23 fuil fuil Chiryoshi Chiryoshi NofaceFell NofaceFell

After hours of travel he had finally made it to where the map he found in an envelope on his front steps. He stood there looking at the massive metal door and scratched his stoney head. "I wonder why this guy wants to meet me? Well if they try anything funny I'll just rip there arms off." Grov mumbled in his deep gravely voice. He was currently munching on a stalagmite. Looking at the large metal door in front of him. "Better knock." He said in between bites as he raised his free hand and knocked on the door with three powerful bangs. "Hey!!! Someone told me to come here......so can you open up? HELLO!!!! I've been walking for a few hours and this rock needs salt!"
Shog Shog Agent23 Agent23

After two hours searching for the snack and food that she wanted Esme was finally able to get into a taxi to her destination. The email that was sent by Frank Niantic, a well known name to her as she read about him before, had contained a map to get to his location, her destination. She had memorised everything in detail on that map before she had left the house. When the car pulled into a stop, she opened the small cooler in the car and pulled out her ice cream before exiting the car. Esme put her grey backpack on her back before removing the wrapper from the ice cream.

"Thank you so much," she said to her driver before closing the back door and took bite of the ice cream, "Well, four miles hike shouldn't be that bad." She began her journey with a clear map picture of the map in her head, a backpack full of snacks, two water bottles and an ice cream. After she had finished her delicious ice cream she picked up her pace, wanting to get there as fast as she could so she could eat more snacks and also meet Frank Niantic who she believed to be very old right now.

Prof Corgi.

Frank did his little puppy dog smile again as Isaac took some of his snacks, it was a good thing he still had some salmon for the manshark.When isaac produced the files the Corgi pressed a button on the side of his glasses and began pouring over the notes as he lead the way floating down the hall. Suddenly Abigail Crackled to life over the intercom. "professor we seem to have a guest at the front doors, preliminary scans failed identify the visitor, his bio signature does not match any on record. Also our trail sensors have detected the approach of another, i.d confirms the individual is an Esme Santoro." Corgi's tail began wagging even faster causing him to wobble a bit in midair. "hopefully that answers your question my friend, it seems they are arriving now. Open the doors Abigail, and guide our guests to the conference room." it was a short walk to make it to the conference room. "well Isaac the pool is not yet ready, but it will be within the hour once i can see you act in the water we may be able to put numbers to your feats, that will be helpful in figuring out exactly what you are capable of and identify any differences in metabolism from land to water, which will be a major key in the effectiveness of any cure." he got carried away a bit and bounced from biology to chemistry explaining the various serums he had in the works. Most of it would make sense to a biologist but a good 20% would come off as gibberish. Luckily gibberish was adorable coming from an excited floating Dog.
Shog Shog

Meanwhile at the door...

The massive metal doors let out a hiss as the air pressure was vented, a loud grating scraping sound could be heard as the piston on the other side extended into the door gears and began to turn. The rocks rattled but none so much as fell. After what seemed like about thirty seconds the door began sliding down into the base of the mountain revealing a stark white well lit hallway. Lights flickered and the translucent hologram of an attractive woman stood in the hallway. "good day sir and welcome to Niantic labs. The professor will be seeing you in the conference room." though her mouth moved the sound can from the speakers in the walls. She stepped back and swept her hand in a guiding gesture. As soon as she did a line of green light appeared about two feet off of the floor leading down the hallway and around the corner.
fuil fuil

Meanwhile at the trail...

The ground would vibrate ever so slightly as esme neared the mouth of the cave. The hiss could be not only heard but felt as a small breeze came out of the mouth of the cave. Yet the metal grinding sound of the door sliding down. That was almost thunderous, no wonder the lab was so far away. Noise complaints would come in for miles everytime the door opened. Nonetheless the directions that abigail gave came as clearly to esme as they had to Grov after all two way speakers were strewn about the trails leading up to here so that the staff could be creepily ready for whatever made their way up the trail.
Chiryoshi Chiryoshi

Last edited:
It's the mystery that annoys him; it's also why he's here. He loves a good mystery. The metal on his boots clinks softly as he stops walking, for once thankful for the dulled sensation in his body. He imagines he has blisters from hell. Darcy pushes the dark hair from his brow and looks around, sunglasses dimming the sun and doing him the favor of hiding his odd colored eyes. Not that he imagines anyone in their right mind would be out here like his dumb ass, but still. He turns his attention to his arm, examining the rough map sewn into his skin. If it and the odd e-mail he had received were correct he should be arriving at the damn cave in just a few more minutes. He pushes on, slipping water from the backpack Lenore had given before he left her shop that morning. "Be careful. Don't kill anyone, especially on purpose. Be a good Doll."

He grunts to himself at the memory and pauses as he pulls himself up a ledge, crouching to rest as he examines the cave before him. It's not extraordinary but he isn't about to go looking for one that is. Straightening he continues on, relishing the cool air of the cave, desensitized or not it's hot and he hates being hot. He doesn't like the hike, didn't like the idea of it in the e-mail, doesn't like it in reality. Heaving a sigh, he sets his earbuds back in his ears and continues on, nodding his head to the music as he heads into the bowels of the cave. I bet this is where I die. Some sort of monster is going to crawl out of the walls and eat my ass. He scowls at the idea, both because it's really dumb and also because, in this time of the world, it's totally possible. He seriously considers turning back, but he runs into the door first. A metal against Darcy thump echoing in the near dark. Squinting he looks it over, it's definitely the right cave then.

He thinks back on the instructions before knocking firmly, with his foot. Hands occupied as he removes the map in his skin. Now he waits, knocking once more, this time far more politely with his hand. What the hell am I getting myself into? The answer to that is not magically clear even once the door is closing behind him and he is instructed to follow a green line from a transparent lady. The room he finds is large, but the giant rock guy seems larger somehow.

Isacc followed Frank to the conference room and listened intently to everything he said. All of the options seemed plausible, or even likely, but he knew not to get ahead of himself. This would take time. At least he could take solace in knowing they had a sample of his original DNA. Dr. Collins proved very helpful in that task. Without that sequence of of As, Ts, Gs, and Cs, he probably would have given up hope long ago. He was exceptionally excited to hear that the pool was almost ready for use. It was something he wanted to test early on, but his lab didn't have the necessary equipment to measure his vitals and metabolic rates. He was eternally grateful to Frank for everything he was doing for him and wasn't sure he could ever repay him.

Once in the conference room, he stood in the corner. He didn't want to sit down after siting for the entire trip here and, besides, he didn't wan to risk breaking a chair. Instead he focused on looking as non-threatening as possible. He naturally folded his arms, but fought the urge and instead clasped his hands behind his back.It wouldn't be long now until the others arrived.

NofaceFell NofaceFell Agent23 Agent23 fuil fuil Chiryoshi Chiryoshi

Grov listened to the lady speak and nodded as he followed the trail. He was curious what this guy wanted with him. Of course the first thought that came to mind was a job but a guy with all of this could of set something less revealing. This was further reinforced by what he saw once he got to the green lines destination. In one corner stood a shark man that had his arms crossed, but that was not the strangest thing because there was a cute little dog in cloths floating. "And here I thought I'd be the strang one in this here meeting, no offense meant of course. My name is Grov but my friends call me Golem." He said as he began to offer his hand for a greeting but thought better of it as he remembered there size difference. "Now do either you or Jaws over there know why I was called all the way out to no where?" He asked as he noticed another person arrive and nodded to him in greeting.
Shog Shog Agent23 Agent23 NofaceFell NofaceFell

The vibration was felt by Esme when she was half way to the entrance. It surprised her as first, but as it continues on, she was used to it. The next sound that she heard was something similar to a door closing, a metal one. Its roar could be heard clearly, indicating that she was going in the right direction. As she continued her hike, she heard another roar from the door. Two times, she counted, the door has been opened and closed two times. After that, it was just her and the vibrations of the ground.

It wasn't long before Esme could see the metal door, at the entrance of the cave. She stared at the entrance for a while, looking for where exactly to knock on this metal door. When she lifted her fist, ready to knock, her stomach grumbled loudly. She puts her backpack on the ground and unzipped the second pocket. A bag of mini cookies were pulled out before she closed the bag and carried it on her back. She ripped open the top of the cookies' bag before eating one of them. Once her stomach was satisfied, she knocked on the door twice and waited.

Agent23 Agent23

Darcy watches the three...people?, interact silently. Leaning against the closest wall and taking in the room and its occupants. While it's a bit startling that a dog is floating and there's a swimming carnivore in the corner he is more focused on the rock guy because...it's a rock. At least the other two are supposed to be alive and breathing. He figures there is a big chance that they are all here for the same reason and only one big thing has happened in his life worth noting.

"I'm sure Jaws has a name Pebbles. I'm guessing we're all here because up until about 6 months ago we were all normal." He hums a bit before taking a seat at the table, backpack at his feet. "That or we are part of a really messed up reality show."

Darcy plays with the string of his ear buds, twirling it around his fingers and thankful for the sunglasses that hide just how freaked out he is. He seriously hopes he is correct because he has had his fair share of run ins with places that offer help and only give the options of termination or a cell.

Shog Shog Agent23 Agent23 fuil fuil Chiryoshi Chiryoshi

Prof. Corgi

After he had concluded his conversation with isaac Franks head snapped to face to see the large stone man enter the room and introduce himself. "Excellent Grov a pleasure to meet you..." the stone man was followed shortly by the strange looking "witch doctor". Who not only reprimanded the stone one for his rudeness and then stated nearly exactly why they were here. "That is correct, and no you arent on any show mister...er...what was your name again?" he asked hovering a bit closer to get not only a better look but also their scent. "If you will give me until our latest guest makes it her i'll happily explain it all." the loud opening of the door a third time caused his tail to start right back up as furiously s ever. "just a few moments more i assure you."

Meanwhile at the door...

For the third time that day the door slid open scraping steel on stone creating a grating roar like nails on a chalkboard. The cave rattled once more,the massive metal door opened, and the long white hallway became visible. Abigail appeared again greeting esme with a smile. "good day ma'am welcome to Niantic Labs. The professor will be seeing you in the conference room." she gestured to the glowing line in the floor before fizzling into light. The walk down the hallway was uneventful. Only a bathroom was between the door and the conference room.

NofaceFell NofaceFell Shog Shog fuil fuil Chiryoshi Chiryoshi

Jaws. That was a new one. At least it had some accuracy to it, Isaac being part great white. Still, he'd rather not be compared to a mockery of shark behavior. "Name's Isaac," he said. He was fascinated by Grov. He didn't even appear to be organic, though maybe there was something under the outer layer of rock. He couldn't detect an electric signal from him, but the rocks could also be dampening the signal and it was always stronger under water. At least he wasn't the tallest in the room anymore. Then there was the other guy. He seemed normal enough on the outside at least. Wearing sunglasses inside was a bit weird, but he dismissed it. He was probably either hiding his eyes on purpose or had a sever sensitivity to light. At least none of them seemed to have severe negative reactions to him, sunglasses guy even seeming to be at ease (or as much as one can after being invited to a strange lab in the middle of nowhere). This was all going better than expected, so Isaac relaxed a bit.

Agent23 Agent23 NofaceFell NofaceFell fuil fuil Chiryoshi Chiryoshi Left Out Left Out

Kia Hortnoe
I checked out the rear view mirror for the hundredth time, my paranoia reaching new heights as my mismatched eyes darted from mirror to window. God I shouldn't be out here. I can practically feel the cops coming after me, issuing a warrant for my arrest. A groan slipped past my lips as I thought of what the news would say:
"BREAKING NEWS MURDERER MAKES A RUN FOR IT"
With a picture of my face blown up and spread across tvs everywhere. A bead of sweat rolled past my ear as I once again checked the rear view mirror. It was still clear, the road empty and silent besides my car. Almost there. I can't believe I'm doing this, sneaking out to meet some scientist guy whom may or may not be a psychopath leading me to my own ultimate demise. Just brilliant, I felt my teeth gnawing at my bottom lip again and growled I'm frustration. Almost immediately the windows cracked at the sound . I winced and bit my tongue to keep from screaming in alarm.
And this was why I was doing this whole crackpot plan. I needed help, I need to clamp down on this weird power that I have. I can't keep hurting people..
My eyes flickered to the strange building as I pulled up. Well... it's now or never.​

Esme followed the line leading her inside. She only stopped once when she saw a door on the side of the hallway. When she discovered that it was just a bathroom, she continued to follow the glowing line util she reached the next room. She popped another cookie in her moth before entering the room. Esme stopped as soon as she saw what was inside that room. A shark, there was a shark in the room. Not only that, there was also a rock man? What in the world has she gotten herself into? There was a human, just one, inside the room who didn't seem to freaked out at the sight go a shark out of water and a golem in the room. Lastly, her eyes landed on a flying corgi and she almost dropped the bag of cookies she had with her. Frank Niantic was a corgi? She shook her head, a corgi and not like an old man with long white puffy hair who stays in a lab?

She moved inside for a bit, but stayed quite a distance from everyone. "Um...hi?" She said to no one in particular before turning to the floating corgi, "am I in the right place or...?"

Shog Shog Agent23 Agent23 NofaceFell NofaceFell fuil fuil Left Out Left Out

Grov looked as another person poked there head in and asked if this was the right place. "Well if your an enhanced than I'd say yes but I'm not the expert here so I'd ask the floating dog man, he seems to be in charge here." He said as he looked at her before turning to the floating dog. "So is this the other guest we're waiting on, because if she is I'd like to know why I had to walk all the way out here when I could be at home eating a bucket of gravel and watching tv?" He asked as he waved towards the girl.
@

Hearing the voice of the Professor, because he has to be Darcy can't imagine either of the others being the one who sent the e-mail, is like hearing a robot with emotion. It's odd and a tad disconcerting, but Darcy takes it in stride. Giving a nod of acknowledgment to the professor. "Darcy, my name is Darcy." He takes the time to greet both of the others in the room before turning his attention back to the string tangled in his hands, the more he plays with it the more relaxed he gets. The chances of something horrible being in store has lessened considerably, but he still wonders just why they have all been called. Let's just hope he doesn't try stuffing us in latex and making us save old ladies.

When someone else arrives Darcy examines her, she has a humanoid look, just like him but he's assuming it's only skin deep. "If you're here for the singles mixer I'm afraid I have some bad news, ma'am." He drones, giving a good-natured look to the very much not human members of the party. In peering over his glasses he reveals the odd coloring of his eyes, hazel surrounded by black. He uses his foot to push a chair out for her. "I'd go for the Professor, he's definitely the cutest....then again Grov is also a real charming guy."

Chiryoshi Chiryoshi fuil fuil Left Out Left Out Shog Shog Agent23 Agent23

Last edited:
Isaac gave a small wave to the dark-haired girl as she entered the room. She was clearly put off by the sheer strangeness in the room, so he hoped that helped set her a bit at ease. He wouldn't smile, though. He'd seen what it looks like first hand, and unnerving would be putting it mildly. "Dr. Niantic will explain soon," he mustered, gesturing to the floating canine. While his voice was naturally rough these days, sounding like he constantly had a sore throat, the sentence came out surprisingly smooth. It was only five words, but it wasn't choppy at all. Was he getting better? Perhaps, but one wasn't a pattern. He'd have to speak more to get a real sense of it.

NofaceFell NofaceFell Chiryoshi Chiryoshi fuil fuil Left Out Left Out Agent23 Agent23

Kia Hortnoe
I stares blankly at the door, and looked both ways. I hummed as I finally pulled out my map and checked it over again. My now lavender eyebrows furrowed as I concluded, yep this is the place. A sigh escaped my lips as I did another thorough check around me to make sure I wasn't being followed. I could feel my heart wanting to tear right out my chest , the paranoia of getting caught spiking at the eerie quiet. Swallowing thickly I rapped hard on the door twice. Jeez, was I late or somethin'? I whispered a few choice curses under my breath as I looked around for a camera or something to get there attention.​

Crescent arrives at the location that everyone else was headed, she turned into a bird and flew to the location, she just sat in a nearby tree watching

At the door:
A grinding noise fills the air, others inside now familiar with the noisy door opening. The holographic image of Abigail appeared just inside the door. "Welcome to Niantic Labs, Ms. Hortnoe. The professor and his associates are eagerly awaiting your arrival. Please follow the green line to the conference room."

Back with the others:
"I will explain everything momentarily," Frank said. "Just as soon as our next guest arrives. Abigail informs me she has just entered the facility. Snacks, anyone?"

Rcticwolf Rcticwolf Left Out Left Out NofaceFell NofaceFell Chiryoshi Chiryoshi fuil fuil
(We are all inside, so spying on us from a tree isn't going to work. Also, please try to avoid one-liners. Thank you.)

At the door:
A grinding noise fills the air, others inside now familiar with the noisy door opening. The holographic image of Abigail appeared just inside the door. "Welcome to Niantic Labs, Ms. Hortnoe. The professor and his associates are eagerly awaiting your arrival. Please follow the green line to the conference room."

Back with the others:
"I will explain everything momentarily," Frank said. "Just as soon as our next guest arrives. Abigail informs me she has just entered the facility. Snacks, anyone?"

Rcticwolf Rcticwolf Left Out Left Out NofaceFell NofaceFell Chiryoshi Chiryoshi fuil fuil
(We are all inside, so spying on us from a tree isn't going to work. Also, please try to avoid one-liners. Thank you.)

"Can someone please tell me why I'm here? I was in the middle of some very important experimentation" Jenny growled rudely before sighing "can we hurry this along, I really need to get back" she added

Kia Hortnoe
I nearly choke on my spit as a synthetic voice welcomes me inside. I could feel the 'what the hell did I get myself into ' feeling coming along like bad milk going through your bowels. A resigned whimper escaped my lips as I trudged along and followed the green line. Oh jeez there's gonna be other people and I walked out the house lookin like a throw away child. Yep this is going to go sooo perfectly....not.
I briefly thought of making a run for it, but then of course I arrive to a lab filled with- is that damn shark?!​

"I guess someone is hungry today," Esme mumbled to herself after observing Grov. She then turned to look at the most human looking person in the room, only to be surprised by his eyes. I guess he's not just a normal human either, she thought. "I'm just here on invitation," she replied to him before turning to the shark person. He didn't look that harmful, but she knew better than to assume that. Esme continued to wait with the others and continued eating her bag of cookies. When Frank asked about snacks, she only stood still and eat only hers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back