• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy We All Fall Down [Closed]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

?

"Damn it!" The figure growled, bent over a desk covered in crumpled maps and open books, some with wrinkled and torn pages, while others had stains that blotted out half the words.

All of this work and for what? Nothing. The figure grabbed a world map of the ley-lines and studied it, hands curling into fists. They did everything, just as the ritual said, but they still weren't any closer to finding the coin. Harwood's line became stronger, and they found another door, but they still couldn't get in. No matter how much they tried, it wouldn't open for them. And now the effects of the ritual were wearing off, and the power of the line was starting to fade. It would still be powerful, but not enough.

They crumpled the map up and threw it, then swept everything off the table in a fit of anger and despair. And then there was the side effect that they hadn't prepared for. The one who came back from the dead. The only person in this town who could ruin everything. If there was even the slightest chance she saw their face... They threw the lamp next, and it bounced off the wall, flickering weakly against the ground. Mistake after mistake. So close, and yet farther than ever from the coin. They had to do something about her, but what? She was already dead. They sighed. But luckily, it didn't seem like she remembered anything. She must have repressed it, which was good. Some things were better left buried. If she wanted to pretend to be one of them, fine, but they would have to keep a closer eye on her from now on.

Adrian Donovan

Adrian was in the middle of cutting the tape off one of the moving boxes scattered around the living room when his mom reached around him and took the scissors from him.

"Nope, that's enough unpacking for you," she had her hands on her hips when he turned around, but she was smiling. "I know you want to get this over with, but I want you to go outside. Enjoy the sun, the atmosphere, make some new friends."

Adrian started to protest—

"No to the excuse that you were going to finish a painting after this, and another no to the excuse that you'll go outside once we've unpacked everything."

He shook his head, "I'll go once I've finished looking into the history of this place."

"Not a chance," she said, her tone light.

Adrian stood up and regretted it immediately as she pushed him forward, herding him towards the door, "I still haven't finished filling out everything the Academy sent me," he tried.

"That's nice," she chirped, pulling the door open.

He sighed, "Can I have my sketchpad, at least?" The question was meant more for his dad, who was sitting on the couch, watching something on his phone with one hand and scratching behind Jasper's ears with the other. His dad glanced up to asses the situation, but only paused his video long enough to grab the satchel on the floor and toss it at him. Adrian barely caught it, and then he was out the door. He heard the lock click.

Adrian grumbled about bossy mothers under his breath as he went down the porch steps. He hadn't had much time to look into Harwood. Between packing, loading furniture, unloading, and unpacking he'd had very little time do research anything. It was only because of his dad explaining the benefits of the job he was taking that he knew just slightly more about the Academy. He looked around. The houses were bigger than he was used to, but nothing stood out to him. He tried the door again. Still locked.

Jasper came out through the dog-door, looked at him, then jumped off the porch and wandered the front yard.

"Even the cat," Adrian muttered, shaking his head.

Finally, he decided to go to the neighbors house across the street. What better way to make a friend then to go right up and introduce himself? It was a better idea than getting lost. He rang the doorbell and waited.

Last edited:

Septima Jonet

Sep didn't have dreams anymore. She had begun to blame it on her strenuous workstyle and the exhaustion she felt every evening, and since that seemed like a logical solution, she didn't question it. And it was true, her life had become rather difficult. Finding a job had been the easy part; keeping that job was harder. She worked at a hardware store; namely, moving around large shipment crates. It was strenuous work that took up most of her time, but now that she didn't attend the Academy anymore, she found life just a bit more free.

That didn't mean she was completely happy. She felt as though something was missing, and every now and then she found herself wishing for the small room she had occupied at her old home rather than the crummy motel she lived in now. Her life was just a bit of a mess, trying to figure things out while balancing the new way of living. She had never had to provide for herself like this, and now that she had been thrust suddenly into it, she found things harder than she had expected. Three or four weeks had passed since she had struck out on her own, and she was still alive. Sep considered that a success, even if bittersweet.

The surprising cold snap at the beginning of June had faded away into the comfortable heat of July - comfortable, that was, if you had air-conditioning and a glass of something cool to sip. In Sep's small room, however, it was stuffy and almost chokingly warm. That was why she had evacuated as soon as possible to enjoy her one day off. She didn't get those often, so it felt like going on holiday. Her hair was tied back from her face in a messy ponytail, bouncing behind her like a tangled bush.

Sep felt lonely. Being away from school and working most of the time meant she had little time to socialize. It wasn't as if she had had many good friends in the first place, but at least there had been people to hang around. Being antisocial was no fun, not to mention there was no good gossip to keep up on.

That was why Sep made a beeline for Rowan's house. There was an interesting girl, one that would probably keep quiet but have plenty to talk about. She hadn't seen her since the Incident, but in the very least, she was someone that wouldn't tell her parents. Hopefully. Sept pulled the prepaid phone from her pocket and sent a quick text: "Want to talk. Sunnyside Diner. Make it snappy."

Putting the phone away, Sep walked across the busy streets of Lower Harwood to the local diner, taking a seat near the window. Waving the waitress away, she looked out onto the street, a sigh leaving her lips.

Last edited:
c43046ea2bea177f425a9a7fd8ff2c8f.jpg

Gene Reves

Gene peeked out of the window, his hand on the wispy curtain. There was a boy outside his house. Gene squinted and tried to recognize him but he couldn’t. His mom tiptoed across the satin soft grey carpet. Like a small bird, she fluttered away when strangers got too close. The cameras outside of the house were no doubt recording. Gene glanced at them, the lens caps shining in the sunlight.

Gene stepped into his sneakers. His new thousand dollar shoes cushioned his feet like pillows around his toes. Gene reached for the doorknob.

“Ignore it, Your grandmother wouldn’t like it,” Gene’s father warned from the foot of the stairs. He looked smart in a way Gene couldn’t achieve in a sweater and tie.

Gene flicked his tongue across his teeth. He opened the door a crack and placed himself so that the person outside could see him but not into the house. The guy looked his age with dark hair. Did he go to Harwood Academy too? It occurred to Gene he might owe the guy money but he couldn’t remember what for. It took a lot of gall to come to his house asking for a payoff.

“Did Terry send you?” Gene asked. He stepped out onto the front porch. He leaned against one of the dark cedar pillars by the stoop. Gene glanced at the guy. He really didn’t recognize him from anywhere.

Shit, wait. There had been moving vans across the street. Gene noticed them when he left this morning and when he came back but it hadn’t really registered. “Sorry, who are you?” Gene asked. He felt guilty for side-eyeing the guy so hard.

Location: Upper Harwood, Gene's house| | Mentions: Adrian ( S n o w S n o w )

Rowan Woods

Raising a hand to cover her eyes from the sun, Rowan squinted her eyes, trying to find her grandmother in her backyard. She sighed, pretty sure the older woman had wandered off into the woods to practice her own magic. Pushing herself to her feet, the brunette teen slid her phone into her back pocket and collected her hair over one shoulder, starting down the worn trail of grass the led to the woods.

"Grandma?" she called out, eyes darting back and forth. Jumping down off of a stray branch, she called out again, this time cupping her hands over her mouth so her voice could be a bit louder. Pausing a moment, she waited, trying to make out the soft sounds on the wind. It took a moment, but she could definitely hear her name being called out in response. "Keep talking so I can find you!" she called out once again, starting in the direction she thought her voice was coming from.

"There you are!" Rowan sighed a few minutes later, dropping to her knees beside the old woman who was on her hands and knees hovering over a moist patch of dirt.

"Here I am," she chuckled in response, sparing a glance at her granddaughter as she grabbed her watering can. "No plans for today?" she asked. Rowan shook her head in response, using her hands to move around some of the dirt so she could help plant some flowers in the small clearing. The two lapsed into a comfortable silence, both working to help bring back nature into the small area, smiles on their faces.

The two weren't aware just how much time had passed until they were startled out of their comfort by the loud cry of Rowan's cell phone from her back pocket. Jumping slightly, the brunette froze for a moment before she realized what had happened and she let out a nervous sigh. She realized then that she'd been on edge for the past few days. She hated being startled when she couldn't See. Wiping her hands on her already dirty jeans, she pulled out her phone and let out a quiet laugh at Sep's text. "Guess I have plans for today." she told her grandmother who nodded encouragingly, knowing that Rowan didn't have many friends.

"Go," she said. "I'll be fine out here on my own. We're almost finished anyway."

Rowan nodded as she got to her feet. "Alright, but try to be back in the house before dark? I don't want you to try climbing over some of those branches in the dark. I'm sure you don't want to break a hip." she teased, dodging the slap her grandmother aimed at her leg. Laughing she darted away and started back towards her home.

"I'll show you a broken hip!" she called out teasingly, earning another laugh from Rowan.

Now that she knew where she was going, it didn't take long for the brunette to make her way back to her home and into town. So it wasn't even fifteen minutes after she received Sep's text that Rowan was almost at the diner. Pushing open the door a few moments later, she spotted the girl who got her out and dropped into the seat across from her, still in her dirty jeans and dried dirt still coating random parts of her hands.

"Hey," she greeted the other girl with a small smile, her voice soft, compared to how she was when with her grandmother. "What's up?"

Noah Venz

All throughout his walk Noah held an expression that was a combination of disgust and annoyance. The lustrous ley-lines that lied underneath Harwood knew nothing of the concept of discrimination, so at times it would ask Noah to fix some issue in the streets of Upper Harwood. Which he dreads greatly due to the fact that Upper and Lower Harwood did not see eye to eye, and he had to bear the glances he'd receive from residents of the high-class region.

Today his task was to refill some holes that were dug up. It sounded like an easy task, but the catch to it was that it was in someone's backyard. Noah would have been comfortable to walk into any stranger's backyard in Lower Harwood since many were familiar with his face, but he was not in Lower Harwood this time. He was in Upper Harwood. Just thinking about the situation caused Noah to sigh and rub the back of his head as a sign of discomfort.

As much as he did not want to complete this assignment, he needed to. It was all to help the ley-lines, the life source for magic. Noah was aware of its significance to the town so he usually never complains of his role. Even if today's task is a pain he made his way over to his destination with only some grumbling and an irritated expression. Although his muttering soon stopped once he reached the sidewalk of where the home was located at. His eyes shifted over to the house next door as he spotted two boys interacting. Already from their attire he could feel his prejudice mind formulating judging comments. Compared to their full attire, Noah was wearing a simple white tee, that was already stained from previous works, and ripped jeans. Oh and he was also working with an old shovel as a plus to his current outfit.

Deciding that he had stared long enough, Noah shook his head from his negative thoughts and moved forward on his task. Without much hesitation Noah walked up to the front door and knocked knowing that he'll be granted permission to the backyard considering he would not take no other answer beside yes. After some words were exchanged the resident finally resigned to letting Noah into his backyard.

It was not only two or three holes that were dug up, rather it was seven in total. "What in the world? Who did th-" his green eyes soon spotted the culprit. A small but hyper dog ran towards Noah full blast, nearly knocking down the tall boy in the process of doing so. Despite its size, the little pup was quite strong. "Seems like someone got a new puppy," as much as Noah wanted to be angry at the troublesome canine, he couldn't help but crack a smile to think that the mess was made by a single thing. "Well seems I better get to work bud. Now don't you go digging up anymore or else I'm going to have to teach you some manners," the tall boy pointed a finger at the dog in an attempt to appear intimidating but the pup saw through his facade. It released a happy yip and brought over a ball to Noah, but the boy was already busy at work. "Perhaps later bud."

Location: Upper Harwood | | Mentions: S n o w S n o w Cross Cross

Adrian Donovan

Terry?

Adrian hesitated, wondering if he was supposed to know who that was. Or he was being mistaken for someone else? He leaned toward the latter when he saw how hard he was being looked at. Now he was curious. Who was he expecting and what did he think he came for? Adrian stamped down on his imagination before he started making connections that didn't exist. He was about to correct him when the guy spoke again, seemingly taking back what he said earlier.

"Adrian," he smiled and held out his hand. "Adrian Donovan. I moved in across the street and thought I should get to know the people I'll be living around."

He noted the camera pointed at him out of the corner of his eye, but kept his eyes on the guy in front of him. For the second time, he wished he had time to look up Harwood before they came here. His dad would have told him if the crime rate was higher in Harwood. Or did they have an outside camera just because they could? Adrian needed more information. He wanted to look around more and see if the other houses were the same, but walking away in the middle of a conversation wasn't the best way to make friends. Did any of the other houses have a dog-door like his? He tapped a finger against the side of his satchel.

He couldn't help but sneak a glance at the house next door, but noticed a boy staring at them from the sidewalk. More and more questions were building in his head. "Do you know him?" It seemed like they were being stared at for a reason. Maybe it had something do with whoever 'Terry' was supposed to send?

Location: Upper Harwood | | Mentions: Cross Cross Life. Life.

Last edited:

Septima Jonet

Bright sun filtered through the smudged glass next to Sep's shoulder, her eyes trailing to look outside at the usual bustle of Lower Harwood. Everyone she knew knew each other, making them a sort of big family. A big, rough family. One that stuck together, and didn't let those stuck-up denizens of Upper Harwood push them around. It would have been nice to feel that kind of support in her own family, but Sep wasn't one to complain. After all, she wouldn't have to return to any kind of schooling in the fall, which automatically made her glad. She had never been a study-savvy person.

There was a sudden shout outside, and Sep's head jerked up to see a small group of kids running along the sidewalk, chasing some unlucky stray cat into an ally with blissful whoops and innocent intentions. Sep scoffed, but smiled. It was cute, but stupid. While kids wasted their time on menial things, people like her actually had to do something in the world. It was funny how you were just expected to jump from one life to another without much introduction. Sep knew that for most people, that was the case. Even if she hadn't been ready to leave home, she had almost expected there to be some kind of class that would intoduce her to the adult life. She had come across no such thing.

The diner door opened with a chime, and Sep looked over her shoulder to see Rowan Woods - cute name - walking inside with filthy jeans and filthier hands. Not that Sep noticed, though. She cocked an eyebrow as the girl sat opposite her, then propped her chin on her hand. Rowan was fascinating - so down-to-earth, and yet so mysterious. If there was one thing Sep hated, it was a person who couldn't be cracked.

"Just - nothing." Sep blew a strand of loose hair from her face. "Parents kicked me out. About damn time." She was actually surprised she had stayed there as long as she had, considering how often her stepdad had talked about kicking her ass off the front porch.

"But I don't wanna talk about that. I'm bored, hun, and all the old lady in the room beside me talks about is her boring-ass grandkid." Sep drummed her fingers on the table, pursing her lips and looking back up at Rowan. "So - What are you, some kinda farmer kid?" She gestured to her dirt-stained hands.

1522299473893.png

Gene Reves

"They knock on anyone's door where you're from?" Gene asked, genuinely curious. Wherever Adrian was from, if his grandmother lived there, she would have shot someone. His parents were anti-stranger to the point of almost never leaving the house. "Can I start again? Hi, I'm Gene," he shook Adrian's hand. Adrian not being Terry's lackey made him like him more than he otherwise would have. Terry was his acquaintance, occasional friend, who Gene didn't like at this moment.

Adrian's question caught him off-guard. He glanced at the guy in the white shirt and jeans carrying a shovel. Gene arched a brow at him, it almost lifting above his curly hair. Do you know him? Thankfully not. Gene shook his head. "I don't think he's one of the neighbors." A gardener, maybe. A teenage groundskeeper. Maybe he watered flowers and mowed lawns. Gene tilted his head as the guy walked into someone else's yard. He had a sour look to him. Gene wondered if he should take it personally.

"Wow, we're super friendly in Harwood, aren't we?" Gene asked. He couldn't even invite Adrian into his house. There were too many things out in the open that outsiders shouldn't see.

"So, why the move to our pleasant little town?" Gene asked. Since Adrian had shown up at his house, Gene felt like he should get to know him.

Location: Upper Harwood, Gene's house| | Mentions: Adrian S n o w S n o w , Noah Life. Life.

Noah Venz

The sun was shining down brightly, causing Noah to sweat profusely more than he would have for the severity of the work. Which really was not difficult considering the pup dug many but not deep holes. Except for one. Currently Noah was working on filling up that hole since all the other ones were a easy fix of really pushing the dirt back into place with a little pounding from his shovel. While he did all this the pup kept wandering around him sometimes watching him and other times trying to get him to play. Finally about halfway through the last hole Noah decided to take a break. He walked over to the shaded patio and sat down on the concrete knowing better than to 'defile' the furniture with his 'dirt'.

"Alright little one you win. Let's play some ball," Noah called out to the distracted pup. Hearing his tone she immediately perked up and sought for her bright, yellow ball. While tripping over her own feet the young dog managed to locate the ball and run it over to the boy sitting in the shade. "You're a very smart girl aren't you? You are a girl right?" quickly he reached out to pick up the little critter and examined its underside, "Yup a gal." The pup amazingly held still in Noah's hands with her tail wagging furiously to express her happiness. "Alright let's continue with our task at hand," he had to distract himself before he fell in love with the puppy.

It was a solid five minutes of Noah and the puppy playing fetch before he heard the sound of someone clearing their throat behind him. Noah didn't need to turn around to know that the resident was not content to see Noah taking a break and playing ball with his pup. Before he could hiss out his words, Noah interjected his excuse, "I'm almost done. I just needed a quick break to cool down. Plus it seemed like she wanted a friend to play with." It appeared as though Noah had hit a sore spot as the young man was quick to rebuke back, "Well it seems as though she likes you a lot. So much so that maybe you should keep her." Hearing his tone and words, the dirt-stained boy wanted to laugh since the Upper Harwood man sounded like a child at that instant. So whiny.

Without really thinking about it Noah answered back with a quick, "Sure I'll take her." The Upper Harwood man must have expected Noah to sympathize with him for having to raise a pup or to perhaps back off from her instead of actually taking up his offer. Finally turning around to face the man he could tell that he was trying to think of words to reclaim back his property or to try and save his dignity but he became even more choked up when he saw Noah's smirk. Seeing a person from Lower Harwood taking control of the conversation must have greatly hurt the man's pride since he was quick to walk up to Noah, who stood taller than him, and asked him to leave with the pup.

As much as Noah would have loved to leave at that instant he knew that he needed to finish filling in that one hole or else the ley-lines would ask him repeatedly to do it. "Fine, I'll leave once I'm finished with refilling this hole. Unless...you want to do it?" with his smirk still on his face Noah stretched out his shovel over to the man. For a second, Noah was almost sure the man was growling but he was quick to turn around and return back into his home, slamming his patio doors in the process of retreating. "That's what I thought." And with the end of the conversation Noah returned back to his task, completing as quickly as possible.

"I guess you're mine now aren't you?" he looked over to the young canine who was lying on the ground, enjoying the sunlight. As much as it was enjoyable to have a new addition in the family, Noah was aware of the difficulties it'll be to provide for her, but knowing his sister's persistence she would not give up on trying to keep the pup in their family. "Hm you'll need a name...how about..." Noah began looking around for anything that could help him in determining a name for the little critter next to him, "Rose? No...Dawn? No." Eventually his eyes were drawn down to the ley-lines that illuminated beneath them and saw how all the holes that the pup had dug were essentially on or close to ley-lines, "Ley...Leyla. Yeah I'll name you Leyla. How does that sound little one?" Simply hearing his baby voice must've excited the pup since she gave out a blissful yip and ran up to him. Noah laughed and picked her up, laughing even harder as she began licking his sweaty face.

"Let's go home Leyla." At this point Noah felt that the trip to Upper Harwood was not all too bad. If only good things like Leyla came every time he was here then perhaps he could tolerate the people there.

As soon as Noah placed Leyla down she bolted off towards the next door neighbor's house. "Leyla!" Noah called out as he watched the tiny pup approach the two boys he spotted earlier. He released a soft sigh as he followed after her knowing that some interaction was required now.

07f918e2c39aa74381ea2a782dfe62e4.jpg

Rowan Woods

Rowan raised a brow at the other girl's words. "Farmer, really?" she asked, a small smirk on her lips. "What would someone in this town even farm?" she asked in response. Glancing down at her hands, she shrugged lightly and wiped her hands on the napkin in front of her before using her fingernail to dig some dirt out from under a different nail and flicking it at the girl across from her.

Turning her gaze to the waitress who was walking back and forth between the tables, never glancing at her, she sighed. Clearing her throat and throwing her arm out in front of her face, she managed to stop the young woman without causing her to trip and drop her tray of empty glasses. Rowan considered that a plus in her book. Normally when she has to get someone's attention like that, the person winds up getting hurt. Quickly giving the waitress her order, seeing as she hadn't eaten since breakfast and working with her grandmother had actually been a lot of work, Rowan figured she deserved to splurge a bit and buy some chocolate cake.

As the server hurried away with her dishes, Rowan rolled her eyes at the confused glance she sent back at her. Typical. Sighing, she focused back on the girl in front of her. Her....friend, she guessed she could say. She blinked, thinking back on what she had actually said on how her parents had kicked her out. She wanted to sympathize, but while she felt bad for her, Rowan didn't really know what it actually felt like. Half the time it felt like she didn't have parents.

Well, at least she had her grandmother.

"Well, if you ever need a break, I could probably convince my grandmother to let you come over." she offered. "She cooks enough for five people anyway, doubt it would matter if there was one more mouth at the table." she went on, biting her lip, hoping Sep didn't take offense and think that Rowan thought she couldn't survive on her own.

Following her words, the waitress returned, placing a plate of chocolate cake in front of her with a weird look that Rowan ignored. Humming happily she picked up her fork and stabbed the moist dessert and brought the large chunk to her mouth, practically inhaling the heavenly treat. She moaned happily, chewing slowly to save the taste. Man, she loved chocolate cake.

Adrian Donovan

"It's nice to meet you, Gene," Adrian said with a smile, dropping his hand after they shook.

His smile turned amused as he thought about Gene's question. "Most of us, yeah. There was a person or two that wanted to be left alone, like a neighbor I had who would only open the door to the mailman and the woman who delivered his groceries every week," the memory made him think of the color blue. Lighter shades of blue could be used to represent happiness, while darker shades were for sadness and loss.

That was how Adrian felt. Happy, with a bit of sadness mixed in. He was excited to move and to learn about Harwood's ley-lines up close, but he also missed his old neighborhood. Back then he lived next to an elementary school, meaning that there were always a lot of kids around, which forced the parents of those kids to be friendly with other parents, his included.

Adrian snapped out of his nostalgia when Gene spoke again about how friendly they were. "Maybe he thought we were someone else. It's already happened once today," his smile this time wasn't as real as before, but he wouldn't let the past bring down his mood. "Harwood Academy," he answered. "My dad was offered a job to teach religious studies after the teacher here retired once school ended," he paused, wondering too late if Gene already knew about the Academy needing a new teacher.

He was distracted when he heard a yell from the house next door and saw the guy from earlier chasing after a puppy. Was he here to dog-sit? Or did he just buy a puppy? Or was he retrieving the puppy for someone else? But what was the shovel for? Adrian met the puppy halfway down the porch before he drove himself insane with questions and scratched behind her ears. "Is she yours?" he asked as the guy came closer.

Location: Upper Harwood, Gene's House | | Mentions: Cross Cross Life. Life.

Last edited:
1522631678580.png

Gene Reves

Adrian's dad was the new religion's teacher. Gene mentally stored that information away for later. Gene hadn't realized the academy was such a big deal that someone would move to Harwood for a position. "Your dad as your teacher. That's every kid's dream," Gene said wryly. Maybe that felt something like being home schooled. Gene's parents would probably love that Adrian's dad was a teacher. They didn't like outsiders but if they did, it would probably be someone like Adrian. Gene chomped on his lip and wondered if someone wasn't peeking out the blinds to see what he was talking to the strange boy about for so long.

"Show me your class schedule sometime and we can compare," Gene said. Adrian probably needed to know which teachers were cool and which ones were hard assess.

A puppy crossed over into Gene's yard. It clearly lacked any training. Gene felt furious toward the owner, the guy with the shovel, for letting it wander where it pleased without a leash. The people in Upper Harwood drove fast, sexy cars and they didn't give a shit what they hit.

Gene petted the dogs's head. Her ears were silky soft. "Maybe don't let your dog wander around without a leash," Gene said once its owner joined them. He narrowed his gaze at the guy. They were around the same age but he was taller than Gene and sweatier.

People from Lower Harwood had an edge. They had something to prove. Gene didn't seek them out but he partied with people from different neighborhoods. Poor person crazy was different than rich person crazy. Gene belonged to the latter.

"She's a cute dog. It'd be a shame if something happened to her," Gene said. Picking a fight wasn't a good look when Adrian was standing right there. He tried his best to be nice.

Location: Upper Harwood, Gene's house| | Mentions: Adrian S n o w S n o w , Noah Life. Life.

Septima Jonet

"Well, that's why I'm asking you, dumbass." Sep couldn't help but grin at Rowan, not having expected her to say anything interesting. "Does it look like I anything about that? I've lived in the disgusting suburbs my whole life. My entire front yard was a bunch of empty bottles, and now it's just a parking lot." She slouched down in her seat, crossing her arms in a defiant sort of manner. Rowan was more fun than she had expected - good.

But Rowan's retort turned into something else. While Sep might have been offended, as she had never been one to accept charity, she was actually touched by the offer of coming to her grandmother's place. No one did stuff like that anymore - heck, it was better off in fairytales and the like. And yet here it was, coming from the wallflower that always seemed to keep friends at an arm's length. Interesting.

Sep let a laugh bubble up from her, and she sat up straighter. "Thanks, hun. But I've been living off microwave meals for so long that I don't think I have taste for much else. On that note - thank God I've got a useable microwave. If I used it anymore, I think it'd be considered an abusive relationship."

Surised to see that Rowan had ordered something, and something so... indulgent... she simply watched as the girl seemed to gulp down the dessert with no small amount of concern. She wasn't going to kill herself on that, right? That cake seemed to be oozing chocolate, and it probably wasn't the heart-healthy type.

"Maybe I should leave you two alone - you seemed to be sharing an intimate moment." Sep made as if to stand, then smirked as she plopped back down. "Good thing I've never been a chocolate fan. I wouldn't wanna be the one whose face was in the paper for having a public threesome."

Noah Venz

He tried his hardest to. Noah really did, but the second he was standing close to the guys in front of him he couldn't help but make judgments. The first boy to speak of the pair held a more nicer demeanor around him while the other was a jerk. Perhaps he isn't really a cold-hearted snob but Noah already hated him.

The boy's fingers tightened harder on the handle of his shovel till they were nearly white. His head was slightly tilted down to grab a good look of the enem-individuals in front of him. So there was a height advantage for Noah, and honestly it wouldn't take much effort for the fit boy to make a beautiful baseball swing with his shovel towards the curly-haired bastard. He'd swing it with just enough force to knock him out, that's all. Nothing stronger than that or else it could be fatal. And Noah was not going to go to jail due to a scuffle with an Upper Harwood brat.

Noah needed to calm down. His heart was racing too hard and the veins of his head were about to appear. The last thing he needed was to come back home bloody and bruised. It has been a while since he was decorated with such marks. And it relieved his sister not to see him in such conditions.

"Who let you off your leash?" at this point Noah had leaned forward slightly and narrowed his eyes back to the curly, doll-haired boy, "She would have been better if people here knew about manners and taught it to their pets. But it seems as though they only care about themselves since she is mine now." Despite the testosterone urge to punch the guy he still answered him, even if he may have made a sharp remark. Noah was so focused on his attacker that he nearly forgot about the other boy standing there.

His eyes looked over to the more calmer boy, "So the answer to your question is yes she is mine. The stupid neighbor practically gave her away to me with no care. Is that how they do it here, Curly? You just use anyone to bolster your reputation and once their purpose is fulfilled you just throw or give them away?" The latter part of his conversation was directed back to the blonde hair boy considering he was the one with curly hair out of the three.

"Come here Leyla. We don't want to stay too close to them or who knows if something may happen to us," Noah was sure to throw back the same words he spoke earlier in a mocking way. He unconsciously did it to see if he would actually do something to him.

Adrian Donovan

As the newcomer talked to them—or rather, to Gene—Adrian thought of what he told Gene earlier, about the guy staring at them for so long because he mistook them for someone else. It had mostly been a joke, but now he knew that this guy had something personal against them. Even though his sharp words were for Gene, Adrian had gotten looked at too. He ran his fingers through Leyla's fur as he tried to figure out what he had done to get on his bad side, at least until her owner called her away.

He stood back up then, noting the way he was holding onto the shovel. He didn't think Gene had been nice, but he didn't say anything to earn being potentially smacked with a shovel either. "You might be angry about how Leyla was treated, but that's no reason to take it out on him," he said. Though they had just met, Gene had been friendly to him, and didn't deserve the venom being thrown his way.

Still, being upset about a bad dog owner didn't explain away everything he said. The part about the people here using and throwing away others didn't sit well with him. "You were staring at us earlier, right? I want to know why. What do you have against us?" he included himself, even though he was mostly ignored, because this was still his neighborhood. Anything bad said about it also applied to him now. He glanced at Gene, wondering what he was thinking.

Location: Upper Harwood, Gene's House | | Mentions: Cross Cross Life. Life.

Last edited:
1523073433655.png

Gene Reves

Gene thought the guy would attack him and flinched. He glanced from the shovel to the raving boy. Someone was obviously off their meds. The last thing he expected was to be shouted at by a stranger outside his own house. Gene thought of the power at his fingertips to make his imagination reality. He relished the idea of doing something nasty to the crazy boy. "Could you just calm down?" Gene asked, one hand out in front of himself in a halt signal. He doubted he and Adrian could subdue him without getting hurt in the process if it came to it.

The lunatic's word sunk in, becoming more and more annoying. His family lived a comfortable lifestyle, sure, but that didn't mean they didn't care about anything or have their own struggles. Gigantor here would never understand the burden of carrying a secret people would kill you for.

Gene gaped at Adrian when he stopped the guy from leaving. The moment passed and it didn't seem like he would attack them but Gene wasn't sure. Gene shoved a hand through the curly hair the lunatic seemed to like so much. Since Adrian was confronting him, Gene found the confidence to do so too.

"Is it just us or do you hate everyone from Upper Harwood?" Gene asked, his opinion of the guy was low either way.

Rowan Woods

Rowan bit back the smile that wanted to show as Sep seemed to appreciate the offer. She shrugged at her response. "Suit yourself." she mumbled around a bite of cake. "Probably for the best anyway. It's likely she'd trick you into working on the clearing." she explained, using one arm to give a small gesture to her messy appearance as if it would explain the dirt. Sep was a smart girl, Rowan assumed she'd figure out what she meant. She took another bite of cake.

"That just sounds awkward, don't do that again." she snorted, waving her fork in the other girl's direction as she talked about her microwave. "Doesn't that stuff just start to taste bad after a while though?" she asked a moment, later wrinkling her nose in disgust, thinking back to when she was younger and her grandmother wasn't allowed to watch her anymore. She'd been stuck eating cold sandwiches and microwavable meals whenever her parents couldn't trade off working days to make sure she had someone at home to feed her. She didn't remember those days with fondness. Shaking her head slightly, she realized she was being made fun of.

Rowan narrowed her eyes. "Says the one who just said she was using her microwave to the point it was an abusive relationship," she shot back, her voice taunting. "Besides, this is Lower Harwood." she added, her tone turning sarcastic. "We have to give people something to talk about every once in a while. Let's let them all go wild." she rolled her eyes, a half smile on her face as she took her last bite of cake.

She looked down at her plate then with a small sigh. Setting the fork down, she pouted before glancing towards the waitress who was once again running back and forth, her eyes never glancing back at the two again. Rowan rolled her eyes with another sigh. Forgotten again.

Noah Venz

Just when Noah felt he was gonna be able to walk away from the pair, the boy with the darker hair spoke up. Noah had heard him first saying how he shouldn't have projected her anger out to Gene then soon after followed it up with a question. Curly must have saw that Noah was trying to leave but once his companion had stopped him with a question, Curly himself decided to also follow-up the other boy's question. Upper Harwood must've honestly been living in their own little bubble if they were asking such obvious questions.

"You must be new around here," the tall boy decided to answer the question that was first asked towards him, "I will keep it simple and say that there is a division in this town, divided into Upper and Lower. Where we are now is in the Upper region as Curly here has asked." His eyes then moved over to Curly as he continued his message, "Everyone. Surely you see the hate that we share." Amazingly enough Noah had stayed calm enough to answer the questions audibly and not with a growl. As much as was disliking the situation, he wasn't burning up as he was earlier. Honestly if it wasn't for the fact he was in Upper Harwood he probably would be giving these guys a chance. But with the instilled hate that was ingrained into Noah since he was little was hard to suddenly push aside as he stood there.

Perhaps the denizens of Lower Harwood held more hate towards Upper Harwood, but some will not admit that most of the hate is filled with envy. It's like any typical story between the rich and the poor. As much as the poor citizens wish they could say they enjoy their lives, in all honesty there will always be that slight greed of wanting more. And to see that there are actually other people of the same species that possess what they cannot have is infuriating.

"Well if that is all you have to ask me then bye. I have other things I need to attend to," in the end Noah found himself acting somewhat civil towards them. Some part of him knew he was being unfair to them with his lashing attitude but it was like a reflex of Noah's to act the way he did to the people of Upper Harwood. He still couldn't forgive some of the kids in the past who bullied his sister. Most were from Upper Harwood.

Adrian Donovan

Was it that obvious that he just moved in?

Adrian felt something between grey and pink as he watched shovel boy walk away. Confusion, with just a twinge of embarrassment. Two of his least favorite emotions. He knew it couldn't be helped, but he still didn't like being the one with the least amount of knowledge about something. Even less when someone called him out on it. He barely spoke, and yet it was clear to shovel boy that he didn't know what he was talking about. Adrian ran a hand through his hair and turned back to Gene.

"What did he mean by Upper and Lower?" he asked. Adrian thought that on the surface, Harwood was like any other town. Every town was different in small ways, like the way people interacted and feuds between neighbors, but for the most part they were all one town. He was quickly realizing that everything he assumed about what Harwood would be like was wrong. Shovel boy said the town was divided, and Adrian wanted to know why.

Adrian considered his satchel. It would have bothered him, but he should have left it. He couldn't paint like this anyway. He crossed his arms, staring at the wall as he thought out loud, "And, he also said that you shared hate. You didn't act hateful towards him, so he meant everyone here, right? How far does this divide go, exactly?" he paused, looking at Gene again. "Does he have a good reason to hate the people here?" he trusted Gene, at least enough for him to think he wouldn't lie to his face about this. He didn't think anything he asked was personal.

Location: Upper Harwood, Gene's House | | Mentions: Cross Cross

Last edited:
1524298715763.png

Gene Reves

Gene watched the rudest person he ever met walk away and found it difficult not to call him back to argue some more. He didn't like it, but the shovel boy had gotten under his skin. His scowl lingered several moments after he left.

"Poor people live in Lower Harwood," Gene said flatly. It was mostly full of people who worked hard for a living. Some were sleazy and high all the time but Upper Harwood had those types too. "I don't know what his deal was," Gene said. The tall stranger had a chip on his shoulder almost as big as he was. Adrian's question made Gene defensive but he couldn't say why. "I don't want to sound like a snob," Gene said and rubbed his jaw, "people from here just don't interact with people from there very much. Different worlds, you know?"

The truth was, Gene barely thought about Lower Harwood at all. The same went for the people who lived there. It was weird to him that gigantor felt differently, seemed almost obsessed with Upper Harwood and its residents. "Okay, enough about that weirdo." He had ruined enough of their day as it was. Thinking back on what the shovel boy said just made Gene angry and he wanted away from those emotions.

"Have you been anywhere yet?" Gene asked. He wanted to get back on track with Adrian. It seemed like they had the makings to be friends. It had been a long time since Gene clicked with anyone naturally. There were lots of places he could tell Adrian about in town to have fun but he didn't have a gauge on what he liked. On a typical day in the life of Gene Reves, he might have found a party or gathered some guys to get drunk with.

"Can you drive?" Gene asked and glanced toward his driveway for a sign of a car or several cars or at least a spacious garage. "I could give you the tour around town if you want. We could even swing by Lower Harwood so you can see it for yourself."

Location: Upper Harwood, Gene's house| | Mentions: Adrian S n o w S n o w

Noah Venz

Finally he was able to walk out of the depths of Upper Harwood and moved towards more familiar territory. Throughout his whole walk though he could feel himself replaying the scene over in his head, regretting his actions and trying to see how he could've acted differently and the outcomes that would've come from it. But once he reached the point where his head was hurting, Noah decided to simply let it go and hope to never face them again. Deep down he'd probably give in and maybe even apologize. At least that is what he thinks. How he'll act again when he sees them, if ever, again would be a whole other story.

As his mind was wandering, Noah had nearly forgotten about Leyla. But the pup seemed to like Noah enough to stay by his side without becoming distracted and straying off. That or either she had a great obedient disposition. He looked down to the pup who at this point seemed to be slowing down significantly. "Oh Leys you must be tired. I'm sorry. I made you walk that long distance without checking on you," Noah squatted down to scoop the young canine into her arms. Once she was securely in his grip, her head quickly began to nod off. He smiled softly watching the small critter fall asleep. But as much as she was tired, Noah knew she probably needed water. He turned a little bit to the right and then to the left, spotting Sunnyside Diner at the very end. "There," he whispered. Noah wanted to proceed forward but he then realized that his arms were occupied with a pup and his shovel was still needing to be transported back home.

There was some grunting as Noah shifted Leyla into a position that would allow one arm free, and with that free arm he then carried his shovel. The Sunnyside Diner was one of Noah's favorite places to hang out in Lower Harwood. They served the best eggs around and pretty much had home-made desserts that were to die for. Just thinking about the food caused his stomach to grumble, and with all the labor he did earlier he was really hungry. His eyes then glanced down to Leyla thinking that she must be hungry too. He had never really raised a puppy since the only other dog he had in his life died when he was 10 so this was all going to be an interesting and new experience for Noah. He also figured that much money for vet visits and food were going to be more responsibilities on him, but he pushed all those worries away for another day. Right now he needed to get food and water for him and Leyla.

Upon reaching the entrance of the diner he left his shovel leaning against the wall of the diner but hesitated to enter since he had a dog in his hands. Perhaps if he was in a better condition Noah would have been more considerate on bringing Leyla in but at this point he was exhausted, hungry, thirsty, and still a bit ruffled from his conversation earlier. So with confidence and not-giving-any-fucks, Noah walked into the diner with Leyla. Maybe the staff members would be lenient on him since he was a regular. A few steps into the restaurant and he expected a waitress ready to stop him, instead he immediately spotted a familiar face, Septima. Sitting across from her was a girl Noah had seen a few times before with Sept, which caused his heart to flutter slightly since he had a previous crush on her before.

"Good day ladies. What brings you here to the Sunnyside Diner?" Noah felt that if he associated himself with a table, the less likely of a chance they would throw him out.

Location: Lower Harwood, Sunnyside Diner | | Mentions: izayoiix izayoiix boo. boo.

Last edited:

Adrian Donovan

Adrian wanted to ask more about the divide and the residents of Lower Harwood, especially since Gene didn't answer his questions with enough detail to satisfy his curiosity, but decided to drop the subject when Gene made it clear he didn't want to talk about shovel boy anymore. He wondered if the library would have any books on the town's history pre-divide. It couldn't have always been like this. Part of him hoped that Harwood had two separate libraries, so he could see how each side portrayed the other's history.

"Haven't had a chance," Adrian said, sighing when he thought of all the boxes that were still opened. He spent all of his time unpacking, and yet there was still so much stuff he had to go through. "I could drive, if you want us to get lost," he shook his head. "You drive." The offer surprised him, but he wouldn't turn down an opportunity to learn more about the town and the people who lived there.

Adrian followed Gene's gaze back to his house. He couldn't see her, but he could feel his foster mom staring at him from one of the windows, probably planning to invite Gene's entire family over to celebrate their friendship. He glanced at the car in the driveway. It wasn't cheap, but it probably wasn't as expensive as something Gene was used to seeing. They had a garage, but it was being used as a temporary storage space for all Jasper's stuff.

He went back to his house. Jasper was sun bathing on the roof of the car, so Adrian stopped long enough to pull him off and scratch behind his ears. "While we're here, you should meet Jasper. Especially since if he decides he likes you, he might turn up on your porch every once in a while, begging for food," Adrian tapped the window of the car as Jasper decided to climb on his shoulders. "Want to take this, or one of yours?"

Location: Upper Harwood, Gene/Adrian's House | | Mentions: Cross Cross

Last edited:

Septima Jonet

Sep threw her head back and laughed, pleased at Rowan's wit. She had needed a good buddy to just fuck around with. Shame there weren't any good bars in Lower Harwood - there was no way she would be going to Upper Harwood for something like that. Those people were spoiled and condescending, not to mention the kind of rich that would rub it in your face. She had encountered too many of those creeps, and all of them had given her a bad time. She remembered an instance, as a kid, when she would constantly be bullied and even threatened, but she held her own. Well, in her mind, anyway.

On noticing Rowan's forlorn look at the waitress, Sep clucked her tongue and reached over the table to pull away the now-empty plate. "Oh no you don't - someone around here has to be your self control. That cake was certainly large enough." Her nose wrinkled as she smiled, and her fingers tapped lightly against the table. "Are you always this hungry?"

There was a chime at the diner door, and Sep raised an eyebrow, surprised to see Noah sauntering in as if he owned the place. Now there was a friend - a real one - and even if he wasn't really her type, he was most certainly someone she could trust. She waved a hand lazily before stopping, her heart melting at the small dog he held in his arms.

"Oh my - Noah, he's fucking adorable!" Sep's voice rose to a half-squeal, and she shifted in her seat. "You didn't tell me you got a dog! Siddown, right now." She moved over and patted the bench in an inviting manner.

"Come on, before Benton comes this way." Her head bobbed toward the owner of the place, who looked like she had her hands full anyway. As she waited for Noah to sit, she realized Rowan might not have any idea who Noah was. Ah, well - they were big kids. She was sure they could introduce themselves.

Location: Sunnyside Diner | | Mentions: izayoiix izayoiix Life. Life.

Rowan Woods

Rowan pouted as Septima dragged her plate away. She sighed inwardly though, almost smiling at how dramatic she made it. "I didn't eat lunch yet, of course I'm hungry." she responded, eyes staring wistfully at her empty plate. "Don't judge me my guilty pleasures, my grandmother never lets me eat chocolate cake." she laughed softly.

As the door to the diner opened once more with a chime, Rowan didn't look up, used to the noise as someone entered the dinner. She'd moved her elbow onto the table so she could rest her head on her hand and stare either at Sep or random strangers. It wasn't until she saw a teen around their age approach them that she started to pay attention, her eyes focusing on the small wiggling bundle in his arms. Instantly her attention was caught, her eyes widening and her heart melting. She perked up even more as Sep spoke to the guy. She seemed to know him. Good. That meant there was a higher chance that she'd be able to play with his puppy.

As Sep ushered him into a chair, she blushed slightly, realizing that she was being weird and staring at him. Brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, she smiled lightly at him. "Hello, uh hi." she stumbled out, not too used to automatically being included in a conversation. "I'm Rowan." she introduced, her hand inching towards the puppy in his lap. She bit her lip, trying not to smile.

"You've got a pretty puppy." she told him once he was seated. "Um...is it okay if I pet her?" she asked, moving her hair out of her face so she could properly see the other teen and his dog.

Location: Sunnyside Diner | | Mentions: boo. boo. Life. Life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back