• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern " we accept the love, we think we deserve. " [closed]

r e i

-- the lost king --
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
zFj8EJ7.png

AnimeGenork AnimeGenork & r e i r e i

Last edited:
3ad18287b44438d1a5ad78585113a76c.png

full
full
full
full
"I don't know if I deserve love. Hell, I barely know what it is."​
location: bookstore. | mood: careful. | mentions: AnimeGenork AnimeGenork |

Chester opens the store like he does every morning. Every morning at 8 am on the dot, he opens the store. The owner gave him the keys after a year of working there, they didn't really feel like coming in anymore, so they promoted Chester. Which basically means that Chester ran the book shop without actually owning it. He paid the bills, checked the books, closed and open the shop, and everything that an owner should be doing. He didn't complain though, he loved his job, it was the only thing that has been stable in his life since coming out of foster care.

He grew up in foster care, his parents gave him up at the age of 2 days old. He never knew a permanent home. He's been in and out of foster homes since the start. It was like no one wanted him. His last home was a group one, and it was terrible. Chester got out, with the money he had saved, got his apartment and just stay to himself. Barely speaking to anyone at times. He was lonely but..he didn't really want to talk to anyone afraid to get attached. So he worked, and went home and read. It was enough for him...well and watch her. The girl started to come in every week 10 months ago.

She was beautiful and kind. She didn't even make him speak but what she did was write notes in the books that she handled back in. It was perfect for him. They weren't friends but they understood each other. It was started at 1 pm when she walked in...with someone..He seemed to be glaring at the girl Chester felt close to. He frowned and kept an eye on them.
coded by korol | note: THIS WAS HARD

Last edited:

2f300bc4f6b0a4f8c19bc716b294c756.jpg

Dakota Oaks
Mood: Highly Offended | Location: Bookstore |
Tags: r e i r e i

Dakota normally wasn't one for reading - that was her brother's thing. But lately he'd introduced her to YA novels, and well... there were a lot of reasonably hot boys in those things, so. She was hooked. (Also, her brother wouldn't admit it, but he liked some of the romances almost as much as she did...)

Because of this newfound obsession, she'd taken to visiting the bookstore nearly every day. There was a nice boy who worked there, though she didn't really speak to him. Still, she felt bad that she never said a word to him, even when buying a new book either for herself or her brother, so she'd taken to writing notes in some of the books she ended up not taking home with her. It was the only way she knew how to communicate without stumbling through some sort of awkward conversation about books she wouldn't know what to do with.

Today, her current boyfriend (okay, he was only like number three, but Mitchel was being a bitch about it, so), Isaac, had insisted on coming with her. He said there was something he needed to talk to her about, but so far, he hadn't said anything. Ten minutes of silence was a long time, but Dakota wasn't about to piss him off or make him snap by asking him what the hell was wrong with him.

It wasn't until they'd walked into the bookstore and she'd gone straight to the YA section to look for the next Gena Showalter book that he finally said something. "Why does your pig have to come everywhere with us, but you don't bring it here?"

Dakota gave him a look. "Toddles comes with us everywhere because Mitchel has no idea how to take care of him for hours at a time. I don't bring him here because he might eat the books, and I don't have the money to replace an entire store."

"That filthy animal's slobbered all over my clothes and backpack!"

"Then don't leave them where he can reach! He's a pig!"

"He ruins everything!"

"He's my best friend! What am I supposed to do?"

"Dump him somewhere!"

"How could you say that?!"

The argument continued, with Dakota increasingly aware that they had an audience and Isaac was making an ass of himself. Great. This was going to make her look bad, too, wasn't it...
Coding by AnimeGenork AnimeGenork

Last edited:

full
full
full
full
location: bookstore. | mood: careful. | mentions: AnimeGenork AnimeGenork |

Chester watched as the yelling gets worse. He watched as Issac gets madder and madder. He was worried about Dakota getting hurt. Issac seemed to be prone to yell, and he doesn't know how much she could take. The final straw was when Issac got too close to Dakota. He jumped over the counter and ran up to them. Pushing Issac away from Dakota. "Y-y-you need to go sir. " He mustered up as he stands in front of Dakota. He didn't know why he did it, normally he would try to ignore it but...it was Dakota and he couldn't seem to let her go through that.

"I-i-i'm telling you to leave the store sir. With all due respect, you are a jackass, and I want you to leave this young woman alone." He started to say while pushing him out. He was shoving her with all the strength that he could muster. Issac was of course resisting but Chester grew frustrated. "I said get OUT. If I see you in my store again. I'm calling the cops. You understand me. I will call the cops. " Chester shouted at him. Having enough of him.

He turns to Dakota, ignoring the male who was behind him. "Are you ok? I-i-i'm sorry for yelling but...I don't like jackasses. "

Last edited:

Dakota Oaks
Mood: Thankful | Location: Bookstore |

Isaac was getting more and more ticked off the longer they argued, and he stepped closer to her threateningly. If Mitchel had been here, he would’ve come between them, even risking injury, but her twin, for once in their lives, was not here when she needed him most. Dakota widened her eyes as Isaac came closer.

And then, suddenly, the boy who worked at the bookstore was between them, telling Isaac to go. He called Isaac a jackass, and Dakota couldn’t help but grin at that. How sweet. Isaac resisted him, but eventually he grumbled something about “stupid pigs” and left as the boy turned to her. She smiled at him. “I’m fine now, thanks to you. Thank you, uh… what’s your name?”

She reached over to the shelf next to her to grab the book she’d been eyeing. “I’m Dakota. You’ve probably run into my twin, Mitchel, before. Lately he’s been sending me to get our books. I’ll try not to bring Isaac again—I’m sorry he caused so much trouble in the store.” Glancing up at him, she asked, “Mind if I buy these?”

Last edited:

full
full
full
full
location: bookstore. | mood: shy. | mentions: AnimeGenork AnimeGenork |

"I-i-it's Chester. Chester Evans." He wasn't use to talking to Dakota or anyone for that matter. He usually kept to himself, it was no attachments and you don't get hurt but he made an attachment and it was the girl in front of him. "I-i-it's really nothin' really. I've been screamed at enough times to know where that was currently heading....I didn't like where it was heading. You deserve better miss." He said softly, he wanted her to know that she deserves so much better than that jackass. She deserves kindness and everything that was included with that. He then smiled softly as he learned her name. Dakota, he thought in his mind, a beautiful name for a beautiful girl.

"D-d-dakota." He says softly to her. "I've seen your brother before...but...umm it might not be my place but...you deserve better Dakota. A better person to be with anyhow. He should never scare you like that. He's a jackass and doesn't realize he has a rose. " He uses all the courage he has in him. "You don't have to pay for those. It's on me...just..have lunch with me sometime? a-a-as friends?" He mumbles to her softly glancing at her. He doesn't really have anyone to talk to during his lunchtime. He just wanted to spend time with her really. It was like something was drawing him to her.

Last edited:

Dakota Oaks
Mood: More Cheerful | Location: Bookstore |

“Chester.” Dakota smiled at her new friend. His stutter reminded her of his brother whenever he was talking to a girl he especially liked, although she hadn’t heard her twin use it in a very long time. He hadn’t quite found anyone worth stuttering over, she supposed. She didn’t think too hard about the implications behind Chester’s words—it wasn’t her place to ask somebody she was speaking to for the first time about his past—but then she was a blushing mess as he said she deserved better.

Brushing her hair over her shoulder, she replied, “You’re sweet.” With a sigh, she nodded. “Yeah, you’re right. I should’ve ended it a long time ago, but he was just so handsome… I’m a sucker for the cool type I guess, though I really shouldn’t be.” She grinned again as she registered that Chester had just called her a “rose.” Was this some new type of flirting she’d never encountered before?

She raised her eyebrows. “Really? Are you sure you can do that? Well… Okay…” That was definitely going to make her brother happy, but she was probably going to end up buying more books next time to make up for it. “I’d love that. How about today? I’m not doing anything, now that Isaac’s gone. Besides, my brother can wait a little longer for these.” She put the books into her bag. “You can lead the way!”

full
full
full
full
location: bookstore. | mood: shy. | mentions: AnimeGenork AnimeGenork |

Chester blushes yet again as Dakota gave him compliments. He wasn't used to being complimented so much or ever. He just shook his head "It's not being sweet. It's speaking the truth. Those type of guys, just bring destruction to the people they are around. Maybe because someone did something like that to them and not they are following the tradition. You are worth more than that. You deserve better than that. "He voiced his thoughts strongly, as he stared at her. He wanted her to understand these words. He's been in her place, after a while, you start to believe what they say. You start to think that you are not good enough and it just leads down a dark hole. He doesn't want someone who is bright to be brought down to that. She has a light, he noticed it every time she comes into the store. She is the sun and the sun has to keep shining bright to live.

He nodded. The cool ones are always the ones to watch out for. Plus even Chester can admit that he was fucking hot as fuck, like damn. He smiled softly and goes behind the counter "Actually..." He brings out a jar full of money and hands it to her. "Y-y-you haven't been paying for books for a while. F-f-for being an employee here, I get free books. And I just read here so it's not like there's really any use for bringing them home. So I just..gave you and your brother free books. I-i-i was always going to figure out a way to give the money back to you. " He says as he rambles. He then grins as she accepted his invitation. Well, that wasn't too hard. Now to actually go and do this friend-date and talk

"W-w-w-we can go to this little coffee shop? I-i-i-it's nearby and it has lovely food and tea!" He asked as he locks up the bookstore. Normally he eats his lunch here so he keeps it open but now, he actually has somewhere to go! Well, this isn't gonna be nerve inducing.

Last edited:

Dakota Oaks
Mood: A Tad Guilty/Content | Location: Bookstore |

Dakota blinked at the jar of money Chester slid across the counter. "Really? Well, that'll certainly make Mitchel happy. But he's only getting a third of it back considering how many times he's sent me on his errands." She pocketed what was apparently her own money before following Chester out of the shop. With Isaac gone and the prospect of eating together at hand, he seemed... more excited than before. It was cute, actually, watching his change of mood.

"Sounds good!" she said. "I'm never opposed to tea, unless it's made by my uncles." She shuddered to herself. Despite being older than old, Uncles Silas and Simon were completely incapable of doing the things normal old people did, like make tea. It would be nice to taste some tea that was made by people who knew what they were doing. Besides, if Chester said it was good - and he wasn't one to lie like she suspected - then it probably was.

She followed him down the street. "Do you go to this coffee shop often? I was honestly under the impression you lived at the bookstore." This confession was accompanied by a nervous giggle. Of course, he probably didn't live right in the bookstore, just like Mitchel didn't actually live at the library, but it was thoughts like those that kept a sense of wonder about the world. And, well, without any evidence on the contrary... what else was she supposed to think?

full
full
full
full
location: tea shop. | mood: shy. | mentions: AnimeGenork AnimeGenork |

Chester nods blushing some more. "Honestly, you and your brother are the only regular customers we get. " He smiled at he looked back at the store that he managed to make into a home for him. "You basically give me a reason to open, there's not a lot of people who come back week after week. Maybe once or twice but not as frequently as you. It makes me feel good that someone else, loves books as I do." He said smiling softly at Dakota. Stories were his way to escape the everyday torture of growing up in the system. It gave him a reason to live, and breath. A chance for somewhere else to go in his mind. It was what saved him.

"I hate coffee. Good tea is all I need. And this place has good tea. " Chester says smiling as he grows more comfortable and his stutter goes away. "Were you close with your uncle?" He asked as he opened the door to the coffee shop as they arrived for her. He never really had that bond with family members as that means you have a family member to have that bond with. So he was always curious about how the other side lives. It interested him. He laughs softly at Dakota's next question. "Actually, I live above the bookstore. The job included a place to live. Which is why I never need to take home books, they are at home. " He tells her smiling.

"And this is where I normally have lunch delivered from if I wanted to eat out. They have a pretty good delivery system. I don't really leave the bookstore unless for shopping. I don't have any reason too really. " Chester says as he looked at her. "It's ok if you thought I lived at the bookstore. I technically do but even if I didn't. That's really the only place I feel at home with. The owner is really chill and usually let me do my own thing for the most part. I'm not surprised that you thought that." He said shrugging. No friends, no family. It was hard for him to make friends. It usually took him a while to even feel comfortable with the friends he has now. It was surprising that he had felt so comfortable with Dakota so fast. It was just something about her.

Last edited:

Dakota Oaks
Mood: Wistful~ | Location: Coffee Shop |

Dakota chuckled and waved her hand. "Oh, trust me, I'm only into reading because of the cool guys in them. Otherwise, I'd probably still be teasing Mitchel about him bumping into things while reading." She paused, and then she hastily added, "Not that reading's not cool or anything! I just never really found myself doing it before my brother told me about YA stuff."

She smiled in thanks as he held the door open for her. "You could say we're close. My uncles have taken care of Mitchel and I for a long time since our parents are always so busy." Dakota didn't think about her parents too often, since they were always traveling, and Silas and Simon had been like fathers to her since childhood. Rolling her eyes, she continued, "Still, they can't make tea to save their lives. I still wonder why they both can make such good cake."

Raising her eyebrows as he described how he lived above the bookstore, she whistled. "Don't ever tell Mitchel that; he might get jealous. Sometimes I think he's going to run away and live in the library so he doesn't have to deal with me and our uncles all the time." Then she frowned, a though suddenly occurring to her. "Is it just you there? Do you ever get lonely?" That question might've seemed a bit intrusive to Chester, so Dakota quickly glanced away. "Uhm, you don't have to answer that, sorry..." She bit her lip. That got awkward fast.

full
full
full
full
location: tea shop | mood: happy and content | tags: AnimeGenork AnimeGenork |

"Yes, it's just me there. " Chester sadly smiles at Dakota. He's been lonely for a long time and he just got used to the feeling. Being an orphan, he was used to being alone and just without friends. "I don't know about my parents. They gave me up before I was born. I'm a foster kid or was. I never got adopted so I just aged out of the system." He says softly to her and shook his head "It's ok. It's nice to hear someone at least sorta concern for me but I've been alone a long time. I don't make friends well so I just stick to myself usually. " He says as he goes up to the counter to order. The guy at the counter wide-eyed since he has only seen Chester a few times while he's been working here, and he was always alone and by himself. Usually with a book for company. It was nice to see him with someone else this time.

"M-m-m-my usual please." Chester says softly as he tries to order for himself, it was hard talking to new people then it was talking to Dakota. And that's saying something since she is the one he admires the most. "What do you want to get Dakota?" He says softly to her slightly whispering as he stepped back to her. Once she ordered, he leads her to a table. "It must suck, about your parents. Don't you ever miss them? But it's awesome that your uncles stepped up and raised you two. They are your parents as far as I see it. We have a saying in foster care, parents are not the ones who gave us up, but the ones who loved us and raised us....it helped when the little kids who just too young to understand why their parents didn't want them anymore. "

Chester laughs softly. "At least you are honest about your book choice. But the fact you come back is just the best you do for the business. " He smiles softly 'He could always come to my place and then go crazy about how quiet it is. I usually play music to drown out the silence while I'm reading so he'll just be heading towards more loud noises and tea. And not bad uncle tea. " He says with a smile on his face

Dakota Oaks
Mood: Blushing | Location: Coffee Shop |

Dakota watched, a little sadly, as Chester went to the counter to order. Even though he’d said it was fine that he was alone, she still felt… a little sad. All her life, she’d never been truly lonely, because Mitchel had been there with her. What was it like to not have a constant like that? She shook herself out of that stupor to flash a smile at the barista and say, “Cappuccino, please. Thank you!” Then she followed Chester to a table and sank into the chair across from him.

“My parents?” She raised her eyebrows. “I miss them, sure, but… yeah. My uncles are more like my real parents at this point. And Mitchel, too, I guess, since he sometimes had to pretend to be a much older brother.” Dakota chuckled. “He likes to think he’s much more mature than I am, but he can’t fool me.” For a moment, she just looked at him, wondering why nobody had ever adopted him. It wasn’t often you met someone this adorable—what was wrong with people?

Then he made her laugh again. “I could tell him, but then he’d tell me he wouldn’t want to be rude. But your tea sounds amazing, so maybe I’ll just have to come by and try it.” Her cheeks turned a mild pink as she realized she was basically inviting herself over to a boy’s place. “I mean—if that’s alright with you, of course.” It was almost a relief when her cappuccino was ready—anything to hide her embarrassment.

full
full
full
full
location: coffee shop| mood: nervous | tags: AnimeGenork AnimeGenork |

Chester just looks at Dakota and shrugs "Then they are your real parents. Like I said, parents aren't made by biological means. You are a parent when you chose to love a child. When you pick that child, and raised them with unconditional love is when you become a parent. " He says softly as he moves his sight away for a moment. It had always gotten to him that no one chose to love him. That no one wanted him. He always felt like because of that he was at disadvantage. How are you suppose to love someone else when you don't know what love really is? When no one loved you. He struggles with that, he doesn't understand love and it kills him. "When he comes in, he does act like a bit of an older brother at times from my view point but...you seem more mature. Bookstore clerks observe a lot...I just noticed things. " He says turning back to look at her and then look down.

Chester froze for a moment. He didn't think he heard right. The girl he's been liking or whatever WANTED TO HANG OUT WITH HIM MORE! His brain short-circuited a bit after that admission before he shook it off and nods trying not to seem eagerly but yet seeming eager. "Y-y-yes I would want that very much. I have coffee too, if you don't want tea. " This seemed like a date thing and he was confused. "Y-y-you want to hang out with me more...?"]/b] He shook his head. He got this far, he was going for it. He wanted to go for it. It was the time to go for it. "W-w-would you consider.....um.....um" He was struggling to get the words out in the correct way that didn't cause for him to get slap. He wanted her as his friend if anything.
[/b]

Dakota Oaks
Mood: Thoughtful | Location: Coffee Shop |

"I suppose you're right," Dakota said, smiling at the thought of her uncles Simon and Silas. They were kooky old farts, but they'd never failed to take care of her and Mitchel. Of course, they loved their parents, but Simon and Silas were the ones who raised them, practically. They still tried to spew wisdom and life advice, even though they were adults now and could take care of themselves. It was their mistake, living with their uncles even after high school. Dakota grinned over at Chester. "I think I've always been the more mature one. Mitchel won't admit it, but he's definitely still a little boy at heart. I think he always will be." It was nice to see someone with some sense on their shoulders when it came to her twin.

She was a bit nervous that Chester was going to ice her out as soon as she suggested coming over sometime to try his tea. But soon enough he was nodding, and her shoulders relaxed as she returned the nod. "Coffee is great, but I do want to try this famous tea of yours first." Surprised, she smiled widely at him. "Of course I want to hang out more! You're the first guy since my brother who's treated me well." He seemed to be on the verge of asking her something, but she wasn't exactly sure what he was trying to say. "Would I consider what? Are you okay?" She furrowed her eyebrows, searching his face for any sign of illness. He wasn't getting sick, was he?

full
full
full
full

Chester shook his head at Dakota as he tried to get the words out that he wants to get out. He always had a hard time opening up and talking. From years of sticking to himself, his socialness has gone down a lot and it was hard sometimes to get the words out. But he wasn't going to give up this time. He wanted this time, for the words to come out. He wanted the words to come out because he knows if he doesn't, then he won't ever talk about it again. That was a chance he couldn't let happen. So he takes a deep breath and looks at her straight in the eyes which hopefully proves his innocence and that he meant it. He wanted her to really hear him.

W-w-would you consider...perhaps going on a d-d-date with me?" He breathes out slowly but surely. Chester looked down as she didn't want to see her reaction. All he wanted to see if she would at least consider it. "N-n-not now of course, I-i-i want you to be ok from your last breakup." He said softly as he thought a bit "B-b-but I want to see if there's a chance...for a d-d-date. I'm o-o-k with being friends. I rather that than anything. I never truly had a friend ever." He keeps rambling as he gets more and more confident. "I just want to see...if I could at least try."

Dakota Oaks
Mood: Surprised | Location: Coffee Shop |

Dakota probably should have been used to this, especially since her own twin could be a nervous Nelly about just about everything. Oftentimes, she'd had to translate for him when Silas and Simon were unable to get an answer from him. She'd even done it at school whenever Mitchel was trying to talk to a faculty member about something as simple as a leaky roof. But that was her brother - she knew what all his stumbles and struggles and stammers meant. She had no idea how to help Chester as he struggled to get his words out. All she could do was wait and hope that he wasn't having some sort of health issue that she couldn't detect.

As he had been all day, he surprised her with his next words. On reflex, her eyes widened, and she couldn't look away from his own eyes, staring steadily at her. She could hear the snide remark Mitchel would've had on deck about how her love life never seemed to stop. Of course, Chester was cute - maybe a little too much like her brother at first impression, but different enough that she could ignore that bit. But could she really go out on a date so soon after Isaac proved to be such a jerk? "I'm really flattered, Chester. Really, I am." She sighed, tightening her hands around her coffee. "I would normally say yes, and pretty readily. But in this one instance, my brother might be right. I move too fast with these things."

She shook her head. "Chester, you've been too kind to me. Maybe more than I deserve, always choosing guys like Isaac. That's why, if I'm going to go out with you," and here she looked into his eyes again, hoping to convey how earnest she was, "I want to make sure I do it right. So let's stay friends for now. I'm not saying no, but I'm not saying yes just yet. Is that okay?"

full
full
full
full

Chester smiles softly at Dakota. Did she seriously think he would walk away from what may be the first friend he had in years, just because she was unsure and wants to be sure of herself before she takes a jump? He wasn't like the other guys, and yes a lot of guys say that but Chester truly wasn't. He wanted her to know his intentions and even if she had firmly said no, he would have understood and hoped that they could have kept their friendship. He wanted her to be sure that she wanted to date him, and he wanted her to be ready. Taking one big breath in, he made another surprising move from him, he gently takes her hands from where it was around the coffee cup. He saw how tightly she was gripping it, and didn't want her to hurt herself. He looked into her eyes and smiled showing her that he didn't feel hurt.

"D-d-dakota, if you would have said no, it would have been o-o-ok." Chester said honestly as he tried to find the courage to speak his mind. "I w-w-would rather your friendship then a-a-anything. I j-j-just wanted to show my i-i-intentions before this f-f-friendship truly starts." He breathes in and out yet again. He was steeling his mind from his crazy thoughts and nervousness. He wanted to be sure she understood him and stuttering wasn't helping. "I don't want you to say yes because I want you to. I want you to say yes because you want to. And you aren't ready yet...then you aren't. That's not my choice to make, and it's not anyone's choice to make but yours. Your brother is right."

"I want you to be ready and I want to do this right." He furrows his eyes as he searches for the words to show her that he was telling the truth. "I don't want you to think, that I will walk away from you just because you told me not yet. To be honest, I was expecting a no. " Chester said with a smirk. He wanted her to laugh "I want to get to know you, I want to get to know your pet pig, your brother. I want to know you and I may not be interesting but I want you to know me too. Like how I've been scared to talk to you and your brother but you guys are one of my favorite customers at the store. " He keeps going, as he tries to relax her mind. He didn't care about his mind at the moment.

He cared about hers more.

Dakota Oaks
Mood: Cheerful | Location: Coffee Shop |

Dakota knew for a fact her relief was showing on her face. She hadn’t wanted to hurt Chester’s feelings so soon after they’d befriended each other. Besides, his honesty about his intentions was refreshing—plenty of other guys before him hadn’t been nearly as truthful with her. Really, he was just a breath of fresh air in every aspect of her social life. Why hadn’t she met him before this?

She smiled at the mention of her brother being right. “Don’t let Mitchy hear you say that; he’ll never let me live it down!” Glancing down at her coffee, she felt the warmth in her hands spread through the rest of her body. This felt… nice. Just being friends with a guy. Even if she knew that there was a possibility of something more someday. Yeah. She could do this. There was a first time for everything, right?

A laugh bubbled out of her. “Oh, don’t be so quick to think Toddles is someone you want to know—he causes a mess wherever he goes if I’m not careful!” Her smile was wide now, she could feel it. Her cheeks hurt a bit from how truly cheerful she was. Man, Mitchel would be pissed. “I’m happy to hear we’re your favorite customers! Mitchel would certainly be happy to hear it.” This was a great feeling, getting to know someone that she probably wouldn’t have socialized with before. How things could change in one day.

“I look forward to getting to know you, Chester, really. Thank you for being my friend,” she said with a broad smile. She hoped he was enjoying their time together as much as she was.

full
full
full
full

Chester grins. "I'll take the loss. He probably doesn't hear it a lot. I'll tell him that I said he was right." He said teasing as he relaxed in conversation. His stutter had slightly gone again. It was still there but not as noticeably as before. This was something he had never felt before, a warmth that spread all over his body, coming from his heart. The warmth from a conversation between him and a friend. Someone to talk to and just be understood. That was something that he never had. This was something he had never had.

A true friend.

"Come on! It's a pet pig. That's so cool!" He said exclaiming. His smile was large, almost painful. He didn't care, he was enjoying speaking to the girl on the other side of the table. If the child version of him could see this, he would be surprised about how relaxed he was. " Plus, a mess is a mess. I can clean up a mess, it's not a big deal. I would love to get to know your pet pig, even if he causes messes before like I said, I can clean up a mess, it's not a big deal." He told her softly as he gives her a small reassurance smile as they kept the conversation going. "You guys are the only ones that, I can trust to bring books back in perfect condition. The moment you did that...I was sold. " He told her truthfully. Other customers had coffee rings, and stains on their books and it drove him crazy to clean them.

"No, thank you for being my friend. I never had one before so...this is nice." He told her softly.

Dakota Oaks
Mood: Determined | Location: Coffee Shop |

A laugh fought its way out of her, and Dakota couldn’t hold back the snort that followed. There was something amusing about the image of Chester telling Mitchel he’d been right and her twin brother looking smug. They could probably get along, so long as Mitchel never picked up that Chester was interested in her. He always seemed a little more protective if he sensed romantic intentions from the boys Dakota spent time with. But even if he did find out, she knew that Chester was different. There was little doubt that he wouldn’t hurt her like others before him had.

“It is pretty cool, I guess. He’s a lot more polite than I think a lot of animals would be in a house like ours.” Brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, she grinned. “Oh, he’ll love you, for sure. He loves anyone who’s nice to me—too bad I don’t listen when he squeals at all the jerks that come close.” This time, her laugh was a little nervous. It was a bit embarrassing admitting that she’d made so many mistakes in her social life. Even Mitchel was starting to get frustrated with her, and they’d known each other since they were born.

Her eyes widened. “The only ones? Really? Wow, some people are major jerks.” She frowned. “I honestly thought Mitchy wasn’t the only one to take good care of his books. His habit rubbed off on me. I’m sorry.” Shaking her head, she added, “That just makes me more determined to bring them back as nice as we have been.”

She ran her finger around the edge of her coffee cup, meeting his eyes across the table. Her eyebrows furrowed, though she wasn’t really aware of the action. “Never?” Dakota’s face softened as she smiled at him. “Then I’m glad to be the first. If I have anything to say about it, you’ll have at least one more friend in my brother.” Lifting her coffee to her lips, she took another sip. That’s right, she was going to help Chester make more friends. It was the last he deserved, after being so gosh darn nice to her today. What else were friends for, if not to help you make more?

full
full
full
full

Chester smiles at the sight of Dakota laughing at him. He could never be more thankful, he decided to step in and stick up for her. She was such a gentle soul, one who deserved everything and didn't deserve to be hated for being slightly different. In the conversation that is growing between them, he knows that he would want to be with her, years from her. Be in her space, either as a friend or more. He'll be fine with being her friend, being her friend is amazing. He wouldn't mind experiencing it all his life, he wouldn't mind if she was in his life for the rest of it. He wanted her to be. No matter.

"That's because his mother is the best mother to him." He said with a soft smile. "Not a lot of people take chances on new things like places, pets, or anything. But you decided to take a chance on a pig, and you saved him from who knows what." He tells her shaking his head. Dakota didn't know the effect that she had. The way she brought people together and gave them the chance to be something more.

Everyone just wanted a chance to be something more.

"Maybe listen to the squeals? He's just trying to protect you." Chester told her as he chuckled to himself. "But love makes us do crazy things or so I've heard. Maybe you saw the good in them that no one could see. A good that you want to show the world that they could be. " He told her as he smiled at her. He wanted to reassure her that he didn't think of her any differently. He knew how people could seem, and he wanted to believe that maybe this time would be the time it would work but it wasn't ever the time. "Don't blame yourself for believing the best in people. Everyone wants to be good, but it's their choice to be good or not. " He reassures her as he goes to take her hand and squeeze it softly before pulling away. Not wanting to overstep his boundaries.

"Coffee stains, sometimes even ripped pages." He shakes his head "I repair it all, it's one of the reasons that my boss loves me. " Chester tells her as he looks at her. His boss didn't think of anything of him until he started to repair the books that came in the shop damaged. Then he had the freedom to do anything he chose to do, as long as the money kept pouring in. Which it did, slowly but it did. "And I will thank you every time you do."

He looks down as she questions the fact that he doesn't have any friends. Chester was quite shy growing up, and it soon became hard for him to speak to anyone. "I was in and out so many foster homes, that I just...didn't see the reason nor did I ability to even try honestly. " He told her softly as he looked down. "You are?" He asks softly "I'm quite boring once you truly get to know me." He tells her honestly.

He'll just be happy with reading a book in quietness. He doesn't think that's who Dakota would want to be happy to be friends with.

Dakota Oaks
Mood: Earnest | Location: Coffee Shop |

“I try my best. Toddles does all the work, though.” Dakota opened up the gallery app on her phone and slid it over to Chester, scrolling through the album dedicated to Toddles’s exploits. Most of them were just him looking at the camera or sleeping on the couch, but she treasured every single one. Her pet pig was everything to her—probably not as much as Mitchel, but it sure felt like that sometimes. “I’m not a saint or anything—bacon is delicious—but he was just too cute not to save, you know?”

Dakota nodded. “Trust me, after these last few times, I’ve been trying my best to listen to him more. It helps that he’s starting squealing louder whenever he senses trouble. He’s a smart one, learning how to navigate my silliness.” She couldn’t help but laugh at Chester’s assessment of her past boyfriends. “No offense, but you’re far too kind to me. I tend to go more for looks than anything, which so far has been my downfall. I like the idea, but I’m not sure how much ‘good’ I saw in them besides a pretty face.” Another sip of coffee. It was probably the first time in a while she’d been able to talk about her exes and not feel the pang of heartache that usually accompanied such thoughts. Interesting.

Leaning her chin on her hand, trying not to grin overly much at him squeezing her hand, she tilted her head. “Oh, come on, that can’t be the only reason. I’m sure there are other qualities your boss appreciates in such a hard worker.” She smiled, closing her eyes and humming. “It’s the least we can do. After growing up with museum curators, we learn how to take care of our stuff and others’.”

Though the explanation made her grimace a bit, she also nodded. “Yeah… that’s understandable. I’m not sure I would’ve made many friends either in that situation.” Reaching out to take his hand and squeeze it again, she looked him in the eye. “I am. Even if you are boring, you can’t be more boring than my brother. He’s the mayor of Boring.”

“Seriously, Chester, I want to be your friend. We don’t need to go fight dragons or whatever, that’s for other people. Even if you just want to sit and read, I’m okay with it. I’ve got my own hobbies I can do, too.” She grinned widely at him, trying to convey her genuine interest in his friendship. Not that she was much for faking anything in that vein. And besides, who was she to pass up such a great guy like Chester as a friend?

full
full
full
full

Chester shook his head as he scrolls through the photo album on her phone. "The way I see it, Toodles did the work but you gave him a chance to be himself." He tells her as he glances up "Being a pig is hard work, but it's easier with an understanding owner like yourself Dakota." He adds as he slides the phone back to her. Smiling at the feeling of warmth in his chest "You still saved him and I agree bacon is delicious but you chose him and not the bacon, don't sell yourself short. " He tells her as he shrugs.

"He is a smart one. I hope he likes me." Chester tells her as he looks away. "i don't got that much luck with animals, my only exposure is a cat that was mean and hated children. Much like her owner. " He adds with a chuckle as he takes a sip of his tea. Chester then laughs softly as she tells him a blunt truth on why she dated those men. "Look everyone has their taste. I can't fault you on that, but to anyone else, I would use the I see their potetinal, might save you judgemental stares. "

"No that is the only reason, I fix it all."
He answered with a soft smile. "Doesn't matter what it is, I'm a fixer. I figure it out, I kind of became a handyman while working there, which is weird for me. He asks me to fix everything he thinks needs fixing." He hums to himself as he takes another sip. "I like it, and it's quiet. Plus I get to see people find love in stories like I do, it's amazing. One day I want to own my own bookstore and create that magic for others.." He rambles on with a bright eyes. The brighest that they have ever been. Shaking his head "Sorry, I get ramblingly, when talking about my dreams."

Chester's dream was the only thing at times holding him down growing up.

"Thanks, it's fine. I'm out of the system now." He squeezes her hand back softy taking in the kindness she was showing him. "Kids thought I was a nerd, and others thought I was just a flithy orphan so I made my friends with my books. The stories, Harry Potter, The Great Expectations. All of those stories became the friends I need, I was never lonely truly. " He tells her with a smile. "Mayor of boring? I must be the runner up then " Chester tells her as he looks at her.

...We can fight dragons..I'll fight dragons with you." He adds softly looking away hiding his face, which was teary up at her reassurance that she wanted to be his friend. "I want...I want to read with you....or play with your pig..." He tells her shyly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back