Waterdeep Dragon Heist

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a fine morning here in Waterdeep, the air is fresh accompanied by the sound of people preparing their shop. Theodoric sips a light roasted coffee from his tankard, it tastes bitter with a hint of raspberry.
He then comes out to the balcony of his small room he rented for the last few months. Theodor then reaches for a cigar and light it with a successive strikes with the flint and steel. He draws smoke from it, taste the chocolate hint and exhale it. He just finish a case last week, some home robbery gone wrong. The culprit now hangs in the galley after killing those poor old couple. A lot of blood and blood trails make it easy for him to track the killer. Theodor sips again from his tankard, and the coffee enhances the flavor of the cigar, He’s been thinking about the fight he had with the robber.
Suddenly, a loud explosion fills the air. He turns and look as fire and smoke rises from the the source just a few block from his residence.
“What the f***!”
He quickly extinguishes his cigar and drinks the last sip of his coffee. He then goes inside his room, wore his coat, grab his trusty steel, go downstair and there he goes into a yet another case waiting for him to be solved.

On an early morning walk, Sariel is venturing through the city, wearing a bright red cloak, you would think one would stand out, but not in a city like waterdeep. Her left hand always stayed at the ready on her left side, within only a couple of seconds she could have her bow drawn and an arrow prepared, it made her feel comforted. A gust of wind blew past her, pulling her hood down revealing her mid length silver hair, just as an explosion came from just around the corner, rocking her. Oh hells, this early in the morning and the city’s already alive

The wood elf drew her bow , notching an arrow in it as she had a hundred times before, and cautiously ran to the corner, peering around and looking for signs of casualty or an instigator

Thankfully the streets is a bit empty and Theodor managed to dash along the various alleyways unhindered. It’s still early in the morning after all, the only people around is the early bird shopkeepers. Every last one of them turn their head towards the source of the explosion.

As he rushes toward the crime scene, his black hair, cut short on the side, swept back by the wind, revealing his stern obsidian eyes. He grips the sheath of his shortsword on his hip, one of many weapons that hangs on his person. Two of which are handaxes, tactfully placed on each of his thighs for easy reach, and the last is an ornate curved blade that hangs neatly on his lower back.

Theodoric is a well built man with above average height he wears a dark grey coat with a red lapel and liner, when the wind blows the right way you can see a glint of steel chainmail hidden behind the thick fabric.

As he goes nearer and nearer towards the scene of the crime, Theodor realized that he’s heading toward Trollskull alley. He remembers one day a man ask him to investigate a manor there, he said it was haunted. Alas, Theodor never get a chance to actually goes inside the building, there were more pressing cases he had on his hands than a stroll inside a haunted house.

As he turns the last corner he stops at the edge of the road, catching his breath. He then tried to assess the situation before he enter the crime scene.

Last edited:
Hokk comes outside seeing no immediate threats he puts his greatsword away. Running to the people on the ground he notices a human with a familiar black snake tattoo.

Moving to each downed body looking for visible clues, he kicks a pouch on one of the downed gnomes as he passes, and it opens to show several gems. Not sure of what to do Hokk whistles to Garret pointing down by his feet. Examining the gnome more intently, he sees the boots are muddy looking oddly familiar to how his were after they were in the sewers. Definitely something to keep note of.

Seeing the destruction of the building and the amount of burnt corpses, triggers a bit of trauma in Theodor’s mind. He keep trying to assess the source of the explosion, he first believe it to be from those bombs of alchemical creation, but he found no residue of substances thats usually found in those explosives. So he wander if this is a product of magic instead, but the information still not enough for him to draw conclusion.

Garret responds to Hokk's whistle, walking slowly while taking in the scene and gingerly stepping around the bodies. Seeing where the big man was pointing, he takes note of the strange tattoo, the gems, and the muddy shoes.
"Sewers and gangs, sounds a little too familiar." He glances around again. "These poor people..."

He taps Hokk on the arm, his face changing from sympathy to concern. "You know, it's probably too late now," He looks down the surrounding streets. "But it might be a little suspicious, us on the scene of ANOTHER mass casualty."

Once out in the street, Goldy slows down as she assess the grim situation. A slight flinch runs through her visage, although she instinctively tries her best to hide it. Seeing her friends stand atop some corpses, she joins up with them.

"Anything of... note?" asks the young sorceress, stumbling halfway through the sentence as she notices the pouch with the gemstone. "Ooh, shiny!" She whispers to herself. She tries her best to reach for it as inconspicuously as she could, but she immediately notices that basically everyone has caught her in the act.

She tries to play it off as she was just taking a closer look, as if to appraise the gemstone or try to figure out its origin or its function before she puts it back as closely to how she found it as she could.

"It could've gone a long way for the tavern..." She mumbles mostly to herself, her voice trailing off.

The wood elf sheathed her bow and approached the tragic scene. She shifted her way to the front of the crowd just in time to see the sorceress’ move but took no mind of it. She whispered to herself “If only it wasn’t too late for them, I’m sorry I couldn’t be here sooner my lady” and watched the scene, waiting for the guards to appear in hopes she could ascertain more information on the situation

Hearing the name Vincent Trench, Theodor’s mind wanders, “Trench still snooping around someone’s spouse huh, I always prefer murder than family drama. It’s always more simple.”
He focuses back on the lady and the supposed puppet. “What can you tell more about the puppet, Mrs. Hornraven? Is it made of metal or wood? Do you know any puppet maker here on Waterdeep, that made something like that? Because I’m sorry madam, I never know or encounter an animated puppet like you just described.

Garret's heart breaks as the boy speaks to him and he recalls the halfling bodies in the carnage. He takes the necklace from the boy's outstretched hand and pats him delicately on the head. "You've done well to bring me this. Now run home to your family so they know you're safe. Do not stop for anything."

Garret looks down at the necklace just long enough to be terrified by the realization of what he holds. Shoving the string of beads into his pocket, he glances around at the people near the scene and opts for the familiar.

He strolls over to Hokk and pokes the half-orc in the side, indicating for him to look down at the necklace barely hanging out of his pocket. "We got a problem big guy. Fireball necklace. Fireball murder, I'm guessing. What should we do with it?"

Hokk looks down to see the necklace, trying to be calm yet annoyed, "we shouldn't be taking things from the scene we could get in serious trouble! Maybe we should tell one of the guard, or that guy investigating, he seems like he might be pretty official."

Hokk turns looking around the crime scene guaging if he could somehow turn this tragedy into an opportune event for the future of the bar, maybe a reenactment once this is all done with?

"The guards, yes, of course..." Garret pushes the necklace back down into his pocket and turns away from the half-orc. He sees several guards picking over the devastation as well as several unknown people. Seeing Goldy talking to one of the locals, Garret heads in her direction.

Last edited:
Goldy thinks for a moment on what her friend has told her, coming to a conclusion after a few seconds. "I'm... conflicted. This thing happened too close to home and I would like to see this through, but I'm not sure the guard would let us help them. Even though in my experience, they would need it sorely. It sounds really important, the thing you saw. And the guard might not let us follow that lead if they know of it as well. I think it best if I talk this through with my companions." She says, motioning for them to follow.

"Guys, my friend Fala here has a good lead on what might have happened here, should we tell the guard or should we follow it ourselves? They might not let us help..." She whispers to her friends.

The elven woman moved her way through the area, trying to get a look for more suspicious figures in hopes that she could help with the investigation, while nobody caught her eye, she did take note of the guards and the people around her

Fosco, hearing Hokk and Goldy discuss going to the guards, interjects in a hushed tone, speaking quickly. "No! No, we can't go to the guards with this. We're holdin' the damned murder weapon. If yer goin' to the guards I'll be nowhere near ye. I refuse to be a suspect."

Garret nods along to Fosco, cradling the necklace in his hand deep within his pocket. "I don't see any reason to bother the guards. Let's let them do their thing in peace. In fact.." he glances around the devastating scene and the people it has attracted, "Maybe we should just get out of everyone's way."

He looks up at Goldy, pondering her words. "A lead, eh? Let's see what we can find. Maybe earn ourselves a little goodwill in the city." He peers around once more at the destruction and the bodies and the guards. "Also, I wouldn't mind not being here anymore."

Last edited:
Hokk coming around to the plan, "well if we don't want to go to the guard, there seems to be other investigating. Maybe one of them knows something to give us a lead?"

Garret's hand closes around the necklace as the inspectors begin talking to the group. "Recent new owners. No idea who he was, unfortunately. Think he was the target?"

Looking at the shorter inspector, Garret deflates a bit and runs his fingers over the beads in his pocket one more time. He pulls the necklace out, extending his hand to the man and putting on his best indignant face. "By the way, a child was walking around with this. A child!" Shaking his head solemnly, he goes on. "He said someone dropped it in the barrel over there, but he didn't see who." Garret points over to the barrel and then sweeps his eyes back over the scene. "Terrible thing, this. I hope you find the guy."

Hokk nods as Garret speaks agreeing with all of his statements. Giving a slight smile as they give the detective and inspector the item they have. "Yes, it is a shame this happens now, we are trying to make the Manor up and coming again. This is going to scare away perspective customers!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back