Waterdeep Dragon Heist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hokk overhearing the conversation pauses sweeping up, "I've always been find of cats. What colors were they!?" Processing the rest of the conversation in his head he changes tone, "I'd be more than happy to help out as well, don't think I've ever dealt with a scarecrow before. Are they strong?"

Goldy stood thinking for a moment before speaking up. "Well they didn't tell me anything of the sort, but since the people living out there asked for help..." She then added, "They don't just ask for help when it's about wolves or a bear."

Trollskull Manor:

After a few hours out and around the town for various reasons, it seems the group has once again convened as Fosco and Garret return, slightly grungy and dusty from their wandering in clothes meant for sitting and riding. As the door opened to their arrival, Lif reappeared, clasping his transparent hands: "Oh nice -- everyone's back! It ... really makes me happy to see people wanderin' around in here and not just looting, you know?" He sniffed faintly, "It's the little things ..."

Garret smiles at the ghost. "You know what, Lif? It's nice to feel welcome." He looks around, absent-mindedly wiping some dust off his newly acquired clothes. "Looks like some cleaning got done. Well done, friends. Anything interesting happening here?"

"Yes, in fact! I got a job from the Emerald Enclave. They told me to get help, it's about a scarecrow running amok on the farms." She pauses for a moment before adding, "To be honest, I'll have to tell you in front that the Enclave is only playing me. However, they told me the farmers would more than likely have some form of reward too. You guys can get my share from that, too." She says, looking at his friends with a hopeful smile.

Hokk smiles at what Werner proposed, it would be good to get in on a positive side for once with both this group and the city. Putting down the broom he walks towards the group, "I agree, I think helping out the city can work in our favor. No need for payment... Yet." As he chuckles to himself.

Turning his head to Garret, "How was the play?"

"Didn't stay long. Then we talked to a horse..." He trails off and is quiet a second, then waves his hand and smiles at the half-orc. "Doesn't matter. Long story short, it may be another source of work for us." Garret removes his pack and starts digging around for his normal clothes. "Enchanted scarecrow, eh? Well, Imma change and then let's get to it." He looks out the window at the darkening sky. "Or maybe tomorrow?"

Last edited:
Undercliff:

Preparing themselves to head out in the evening, Lif offering a parting wave, the group traveled through the city streets as the sun began to set. Passing through the gates it was always strange to suddenly see so much expansive land, not crowded by buildings, carriages and people.

Splitting up, Werner began investigating the area, looking for signs of unnatural things while Goldy led an expedition from farm to farm asking about strange happenings and killed livestock, remembering what Melannor had told her earlier.

Figuring out that most of the farms had been hit so far, there was still one that had yet to be touched, and the poor owner had been sitting on their porch day and night, ready to try and fight off whatever might be coming. Being approached by the party, at first the man pointed his pitchfork at them, convinced they were part of the attack in his haze, but with some calm words and convincing, they traded off watching the land.

The sun fully set now, faint torchlights lined the streets, flames lit up along the walls of the city ... the muted sounds of the countryside are almost too much to bear compared to the constant noise of the city where rarely was everyone actually asleep. Before the group of you start to doze off as well, the activities of the day wearing you out ... there's a sound in the grass, a squeal of livestock and trampling of hooves. Rising to your feet, those of you with darkvision catch glimpses of thin long-limbed creatures out in the fields -- one with a sack on its head, another a pumpkin, and one merely wears a blanket like a cloak. Screeching seems to come from them as they continue to chase after terrified cows, slicing through the air with unnatural looking claws!

As the screeching, scarecrow-like creatures charge, Fosco pushes out a magic missile at one injured by Hokk before hiding behind a cracked wall while muttering "Damn things are too tough. Since when do missiles not kill a man?" However, by the time he has finished loading Beauty and turns back toward the action, he finds all the things dead! Perhaps his companions were more efficient than him...he'll have to keep his eyes on the fighting next time. Getting over his annoyance, he moves toward the bodies to examine and search them.

Hokk sits in the old barn after wandering around the farms all night. Settling in he hears something in the distance and it closes on him. Going into a rage, Hokk screams, "you'll regret the day you met us!" As he slashes down upon one scarecrow with Otje's help. Surprisingly still standing he cuts into it once more and looks for his next enemy but they have all fallen.

"Everyone ok? Do you know if that was it Goldy?" Hokk goes to look at the scarecrow he fought to see what it was made of, having never seen a scarecrow attack before.

Just as Garret is starting to enjoy the camp out, there is a flurry of activity and his friends have attacked the invading monsters. I need to be more alert. Finally gaining his bearings, he finds himself next to one of the scarecrows and tries to stab it with his shortsword. The blade goes in, Garret even feels he got the drop on the beast, but the creature barely reacts and Garret feels his attempt was mostly in vain. What is this thing? I may be out of my league here. Juking a bit to ensure the creature doesn't retaliate, the halfling runs into the half-collapsed barn in an attempt to re-strategize. Before he gets the chance, it seems his more arcane-oriented teammates have taken care of the abominations.

He laughs heartily, poking at one of the dead monsters with the toe of his shoe. "Well done, friends! Nothing a little fire won't solve, eh?"

"Here we go!" Shouts Sera as she sees their quarry coming, conjuring a bolt of crackling, radiant light. She hurls it like a spear at one of the scarecrow-like creatures. The bolt strikes in true, illuminating the target. "Strike it while it's glowing!" She says to her companions, retreating behind cover while doing so.

Goldy then says a quick prayer, focusing divine energy on Garret, Hokk and Wrecker. "Bring down these MONSTROSITIES!" Her allies then quickly finish mopping up their enemies while she focused on her inner font of power to regain a first level spell. "What even were those things?"

Last edited:
Hokk nods in agreement, "I agree, hopefully they can let us know if this is it, or if they believe there's more. Those were quite the beasts though, I've never seen a scarecrow do this before." The half-orc scratches his head in slight confusion.

Garret picks up the pumpkin head and studies it briefly. "Agreed. Hopefully, that was it." He holds the gourd above his head and makes a low, moaning noise. "Am I scarier now?" He chuckles and puts the pumpkin under his arm. "It can be proof or a nice pie. We'll leave it up to him."

Undercliff:

Gathering bits of the burned or slashed scarecrows, the group headed off through the fields towards one of the farmers they had spoken to -- the one whose fields they had camped in. Knocking on his door the man answered, looking as though he had barely gotten any sleep, and weakly held a pitchfork at the group once more until bleary eyes slowly came into focus.

Glancing down at the scarecrow, his tired mind tried to piece things together, "... is that what was messin' about in our fields, killin' the livestock ...?"

"One of 'em! We must have killed five or six of the damned possessed things." He looks the farmer dead in the eye. "You're lucky we came along. I'm just glad we could help out a salt-of-the-earth fellow such as yourself." Garret smirks ever-so-slightly and holds out his hands. "You want your pumpkin back?"

"I couldn't count them on one hand! And they had really sharp claws, not like they are now! It was... Scary!" Goldy chimes in to solidify Garret's account. "But we burned them really good! I hope they won't return, but if they do, that's what I recommend!" She finally takes a breath before adding, "Well, aside from calling us of course"

Undercliff:

The tired farmer flinched backwards at the offered pumpkin, "Ah ... no, nah, I think ya can keep that." Rubbing under his tired eyes he nodded to the others, "I'll uh... keep that in mind. Stay here a moment fer me?"

Closing the door slightly, the group could hear the farmer move through the house, a few drawers and cabinets open and shut before he returned, a small coin pouch in his hands. "Few of us had socked some coin away, maybe hire someone out t'clear out the fields from whatever was attackin' us. Since ya cleared it out, figure the rewards yours." Holding it for someone to collect he continued, "You lot hungry at all? I got some spare jerky, some corn, squash if ya want, extra gift fer fightin' so many o' those things fer me."

Garret ignores the coin pouch, but he perks up at the sound of food. I am not taking some poor farmer's life savings- that sounds like a quick trip to Tymora's ire. "Jerky, you say? I'd happily take a bit of that, if you don't mind too much." He licks his lips and beams his biggest, friendliest smile.

Trollskull Manor:

Collecting both the gold and some food, the sun has set by the time the group returns to the gates, managing to squeeze back in before they're shut for the night. Moving down the streets there's almost a strange sense of relief at returning to the Manor, as grungy and damaged as it is.

Entering inside, small things here and there start to rattle or shake until you all hear the familiar voice of Lif speaking from the air, "Oh! You're back -- you actually returned ...!" An image of the half-elf came into view as he looked over the food they carried with them, "Oh wow ... those look nice and fresh. Could make a pretty good meal from that stuff. You know, it'd be worth getting some connections with the farmers down the line if you guys are serious about getting the Manor going again ..."

The ghost blinked a few times before chuckling, "Apologies -- as late as it is, you all probably just want to rest. I ... attempted to help clean while you were gone, but I couldn't manage very much."

Hokk smiles as they walk back into the Manor. After seeing things he is isn't sure are real it feels good to be back somewhere he's at least somewhat comfortable. Taking a seat he looks around and says, "We had thought the same thing so hopefully we have gained some favor. And we can always appreciate the help Lif!" Hokk looks to try and see some of what Lif had done in their absence.

But realizing the time he yawns, "So... Uh, what's the sleeping arrangements?"

Garret shoves the last bite of jerky into his mouth, chewing happily. "Thanks, Lif, I know you tried." He lets out a mighty yawn, looking towards the ceiling. "I seem to recall a bedroom attached to the tower. I'll take that if nobody objects. I was always a fan of the crow's nest." He face dims as he is quiet a moment, but his smile quickly returns. "I like to keep an eye on things." He winks at the others and heads for the stairs.

"Don't worry Lif, it's the thought that counts!" says Sera happily. "I should probably return to the enclave, but it's so late! I'll go tomorrow morning." With that said, Goldy thinks for a moment before simply shrugging and setting her bedroll up where she was standing.

Trollskull Manor:

Each one finding their way to sleep throughout the tavern, claiming rooms or areas for themselves, eventually the sun rises once more, the small creaks and groans of the manor joining the birdsong from outside.

As the group joins together, Lif appears once more, "Good morning!" the specter calls cheerfully. "Uhm ... anything I can help with today? Most of you were gone all day yesterday ..."

"Sorry for that..." Says Sera with genuine sympathy. "Anyway, we got some money yesterday, and I was thinking if we all agree on it, we should spend it on the manor! Whatever we may choose though, I'll have to check in on the Emerald Enclave again. Can you guys give me the... remains... of one of those things?" She shudders in mock disgust on the mention of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back