Waterdeep Dragon Heist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fosco gives Goldy a weighing look, then says gruffly, "I 'ave a...gift. A curse, most say. Nothin' I asked for and nothin' I ever wanted. But yea, I can see in the dark. Better than you, I'd wager 10 dragons." The corner of his lip turns up in a mischievous smile, as a questioning look crosses his face.

"Ten dragons? On such a silly thing? Do you know how many people's days could you make better with that much money?" She seems unusually caught up in this but finally calms down. "In any case, if you're willing to bet that much on it I'll have to take your word for it." She thinks for a while to come up with what else she could say. "I'm sorry I brought it up, it must become quite bothersome at times. I'm... gifted too, in a way, but it sure seems like a curse to some. Especially to those you'd never expect." She says this last part in a tone that's unusually serious for her.

Hokk stood outside the sewer entrance with Wrecker and Werner. Strange city, seems on the up and up though. The weapons drawn fighting makes it like home. I will have to search around for some temples after we get some coin. I have yet to pray and make an offering. I wonder what Werner is gazing at, and Hokk peers over the fellow half-orcs shoulder. As he is about to speak Garret pops up, they all get into the sewer, Hokk holds it open for his companions and closes it up behind them checking to make sure they weren't seen.

"Lead the way Garret, let's see what Floon's got into."

Sewer:

Regrouping underground, the group followed a putrid stream flowing along this sewer tunnel, which leads in two directions. In one direction, you see a tiny symbol drawn on the wall in yellow chalk: a palm-sized circle with ten equidistant spokes radiating out from its circumference. At each split in the path the group followed the yellow marks.

As Fosco stays at the front, a noise catches his attention -- a spherical, grapefruit-sized creature with a bulging central eye and four stumpy eyestalks floats around the next yellow mark on the wall.

Trying to go unnoticed, Fosco does not move his gaze from the creature but points backwards at the others and sends a Message: "Circular, floating creature up here. Not from this plane. Hasn't noticed us yet. Do we attack?"

However, that movement is just what gives him away. So much for not attacking, he thinks. I've REALLY got to work on not being seen so much.

Goldy is quick to react but has no idea what are they actually fighting. "What's going on?" she exclaims, conjuring a mote of fire in her hand. When her allies clear out from in front of her and she has a better visual at the creature, she unleashes the energy as a Fire Bolt, but it flies wide of the creature. "Right, sorry!" she answers to Werner, before advancing forward and echoing his shout of "Kill it with fire!" herself, finally singing the ugly creature. After the fight, she forges onwards to those who were in the middle of the scrapping, asking "Anybody hurt? What was that thing? It's so ugly!" She says the last part with mock disgust.

Walking down the sewers ugh it's so cramped in here and I'll have to make sure I scrub down after this. He hears Fosco's voice in his head as he sees him stop ahead.

Hokk charges towards the eye stalk getting next to it seeing flames and bolts go flying past. "Guess I didn't need to do much today. No damage to me."

Seeing the gazer but not yet recognizing it, Fosco pelts it with his trusty three magic missiles. They never fail. After Goldy's firebolt singes it, he sees it near death and pulls out his crossbow, a gift from his father. The bolt goes straight through the creature's big, central eye and pins it squarely to the wall behind it as the thing gives its final wriggles.

Fosco nods appreciatively and smiles at his handiwork. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say. Chuckling at his own joke, which was definitely invented by him and not Goldy, he takes a look at the old crossbow. Beauty. A good name.

The group suddenly stops moving forward and Garret bumps softly into the half-orc shield in front of him. He readies his bow but can't tell what the obstruction is. Without warning, he feels a surge of cold flow through him and he is weakened. What was that?!?

Then, chaos. Garret hears one if the half-orcs shout about killing something with fire. There's a lot of movement and spells are flying through the air of the narrow sewer. Finally, Garret sees it, a little tentacled ball of flesh with too many eyes. He takes a shot at it with his bow, but the bedlam and encroaching walls have thrown off his aim. He then sees a crossbow bolt pin it to the wall and the creature is still.

What WAS that thing? No normal sewer rat, that's for sure. There must be easier ways to earn 100 dragons. He glances around to make sure everyone is still standing. "Well, friends, shin-deep excrement and magic beam-hurling eyeball monsters. Not exactly like the adventure stories, eh?"

Goldy touches Wrecker's weapon, making it glow in a warm yellow light. "I hope you'll be able to see better this way." She says with a smile, before adding, half jokingly "Trust me, this isn't the worst thing I ever did for money. In any case, I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end."

"Why not head to the secret door?" As Hokk approaches it and test the handle it is unlocked. He sees another door immediately behind it. Checking for traps he spots another arrow slit which appears empty.

Trying to be quiet, he goes to open the next door and there is nothing behind it as well, but it opens into a larger room with a door across the way and another immediately to his left. Hokk waves his companions in and tries the dooron his left to find food scraps and a bedroll. Might be fresh.

Hokk sees the adjusted Xanathar's guild symbol and scratches his head a little as he points, "Any of you ever see that eye part in the Xanathar's symbol? But I suppose we should enter these big doors then. Might have to prep for battle."

Last edited:
As Hokk opened the door a half-orc came running up and singed most of the party with fire, trying to get away, "You think it's going to be that easy?" Hokk said in Orcish. Wrecker charged in defeating one goblin.

With fury in his brow, ignoring the other enemies Hokk charged after the half orc, "You're mine!" As he swung and missed. Bolts flying, the half-orc tried to escape again but was cut down, "May the God's see mercy upon you in the after life."

Turning to his group Hokk sees Wrecker cut down the last goblin and it seems some other enemies disappeared. "Where did the creepy guys head off to?" Seeing his down companions and the downed human he goes to his group finding Garret looking the worst off. Hokk takes some time and gets his friends stabilized, looking at the new human on the ground, "You Floon? we were sent by Volo to come get you."

Last edited:
As they pass the spot the spherical creature was guarding, Fosco is told there are arrow slits in the walls. Instantly suspicious, he looks through them. Except he can't find the slits. Too embarrassed to admit his failure, he moves on instead of telling the others to look.

Unfortunately, Fosco chooses just the wrong spot to stand as the others open the hidden doors. Before he can even act he is pelted with flames from a half-orc's hands. He runs in the room aiming to shoot the caster. While he's running, he glares the other direction at another creature in the room...and suddenly a goblin's arrow hits him square in the chest and everything goes black.

Goldy followed the group pretty closely all along, all the while thinking if a fight breaks out, should I really be this close to them? And when they finally opened the double door, she instantly regretted her choice. Flames came roaring from an Orc's hands, singing the whole group. Sera promptly fainted from the heat and pain. She almost managed to steel her resolve to jump back into the fray before her allies stabilised her wounds.

At the mercy of torch light, Garret explores some of the sewer rooms with the rest of the group. I'm about over this sewer. What I wouldn't give for a ship and the open water. As the group opens up a set of double doors, Garret sees a flash of light and smells the faintest tinge of burnt flesh before... nothingness.

Sewer:

Hearing the chaos of the fight seem to finish, the human peered up at the group thanks to some of their light sources. Painfully he pushed himself to standing, though wobbly, and nearly ran a hand through his hair until he seemed to think better of it. Still attempting to adjust his now ragged and worn down clothes he tried to make himself presentable, "Yes, I am Floon ... it's an absolute pleasure to know Volo was thinking of me ..." He frowned at the downed party members, "Should ... should we leave? I don't think your friends look too good ...?"

Sewer:

Attempting to help shift the bodies as well, Floon wasn't exactly the strongest either. He frowned at the blood and muck covering his hands, shuddering before turning to the half-orc adressing him. Adjusting his clothes again he eventually gave up, took a deep breath and then replied, "I don't know! The bastards thought I was Lord Ranaer and wouldn't listen to me! They beat me and stabbed me -- and that thing," he shuddered again, "I think it was poking around in my mind ... it was very unpleasant. All they kept demanding was where the dragons were -- and something called a Stone of Galor? Golar? No ... Golorr, that's what I think it was."

Floon tapped his chin in thought before seeming to snap back, "Either way, I think I can officially call them the worst company I've yet to keep!"

While he speaks, in the other room a "Bloody hells!" can be heard and some movement.

"You and Ranaer seem to attract some good company, don't ya?" as Hokk smiles. His face turns blank quickly hearing the voices and grabs his greatsword. He pulls a handaxe off his belt pointing the handle to Floon, "you may need this, but I suspect that shortbow may be more your speed. Werner, Wrecker, I think we have some company."

Wrecker stands watch over the bodies of his allies. Upon hearing the sounds of movement, he sweeps up his massive hammer, readying it against intruders.

Sewer:

Floon held the handaxe awkwardly, "Uh -- but -- ... okay."

The double doors pushed open once more as a somewhat familiar face entered -- a scimitar in hand as he was joined by a dark-skinned dwarf. He pointed the blade at the group, "You bastards again! What te'fuck are ya doin' down here -- did you lot kill them?!"

Sewer:

The pair looked between Werner and his illusion, then back at the dead behind them, the scimitar drooped, "... ya know what? Not really. Them others dead, I can rise in th' ranks. You good Zemk?" The dwarf nodded. The man continued, "So ... yeah. You lot enjoy ..."

After seeing Werner act quick on his feet, Hokk nodded his head impressed, "impressive, I guess that's why you have the brains." Hokk paid attention around the halls listening for additional noise while Werner looked around.

Watching Werner pour vials of liquid down his parties throats. "Ya sure that's healing? And where did you learn all this stuff? Not many half-orcs doing much magic, but I guess it's all based off where you're from."

Seeing everyone start to awaken, "Glad you're all alive, I'm ready to get out of here as well. I just wanted to check out one more door I had my eye on." Hokk starts to backtrack their path opening one door listening for noises. Peering around the corner he sees a door. Pulling his head back, he closes the door, "Might be a little more to bite off than we can chew going that way." Hokk keeps eyes on Floon and his companions that were downed in battle for their venture back to the surface.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back