Waterdeep Dragon Heist

Status
Not open for further replies.
CH. I: A Friend in Need

Abrahms

One Thousand Club
ChapterOne.jpg

Waterdeep | The Yawning Portal:

Waterdeep -- also known as the Crown of the North ... to some of you it is home, and for others an intended pit stop. Or at least it was, since friends and drinking partners have been gained in the meantime. Perhaps not true allies, you might not be willing to take a blade for them, but gods be damned you're quite willing to drink if they're offering to pay.

This evening finds you all within the famous Yawning Portal, perhaps deciding to splurge a little for the evening, and the very least to get away from the cold and damp of the spring. Misty rain blocks sight through the streets, but in here -- the warmth blocks it out, trading fog for smoke from the various lanterns spread through the massive tavern.

You sit around a sturdy wooden table lit by a brightly burning candle and littered with plates cleared of food and half-drained tankards. The sounds of gamblers yelling and drunken adventurers singing bawdy songs nearly drown out the off-key strumming of a young bard three tables over.

Then all the noise is eclipsed by a shout: "Ya pig! Like killin' me mates, does ya?"

Heads turn to catch sight of a seven-foot-tall half-orc hit by a wild, swinging punch from a male human whose shaved head is covered with eye-shaped tattoos. Four other humans stand behind him, ready to jump into the fray. The half-orc cracks her knuckles, roars, and leaps at the tattooed figure-but before you can see if blood is drawn, a crowd of spectators clusters around the brawl. What do you do?

Sweet Tymora! Dinner AND a show! Garret jumps off of his seat and runs towards the crowd. "Five dragons on the orc!" he shouts into the rabble, hoping someone will take him up on it. Using his size to his advantage, he tries pushing through the legs of the taller patrons to get a better look at the action.

Leaping to the top of his table, Wrecker shouts over the crowd: "Ey! Don't go startin' somethin' I got ta finish. You're far from the biggest customers Ah've 'ad to tangle with."

Seeing the other thugs going for their weapons, Garret notches an arrow and points it at the four potential interlopers. "Now now boys, everyone prefers to watch a fair fight. Let's let them finish their business uninterrupted, eh?"

Seeing as his shouted warning did little to dissuade the thugs from starting a brawl, Wrecker neatly steps off the table, "what'd I just try to warn ya', mate?", then strides into the melee and strikes one of the humans. Garret takes advantage of Wrecker's prowess and plugs the opponent with an arrow, ending his life. Then the troll climbs out of the well. Wrecker casts a longing eye to the where he was sitting at the start of the fight. His huge maul lies there, propped against the table. Then Durnan strikes it down and Wrecker launches back into melee, striking one of the Stirges, crushing in its head.

As the fight breaks out Hokk watches the half-orc grab hold of the tattooed man. Hokks drinking buddies are quick to react and assist the half-orc putting two thugs to sleep. Just as things are looking to be almost over a troll and 3 stirges come from the portal. Durnan jumps over the bar almost killing the troll in one quick series of blows. Seems we are in a little over our heads with this fight Hokk says to himself but getting angrier since his ale spilled.

The troll gets slayed and flamed, the remaining stirges getting splattered. "That didn't seem like the casual bar brawl," Hokk says turning to his companions. Turning to look at the half orc, "Nice to meet you, I'm Hokk. What was that about?"

When the anger turns into a brawl, Fosco is quick to put his hood up and slink into the shadows. He somewhat reluctantly looses a crossbow bolt at one of the humans threatening his friends, and later (less reluctantly) shoots a stirge after having his blood drawn by one. Noticing Durnan's fight with the troll, he smirks and nods approvingly. When the targets seem to be all eliminated he stays slightly behind Hokk, listening to his conversation with the half-orc. He says nothing.

Garret sees a ruffian pull his dagger only to be pummeled by Wrecker, at which point he looses his arrow and watches the man go down. Tsk tsk, shoulda listened. He sees another thug get shot from the crowd before there is a great commotion and a giant troll emerges from the bar's eponymous portal in the middle of the room. Garret watches Durnan put a hurting on the great beast before deciding to assist, shooting it with another arrow. The troll goes down and a streak a fire appears, setting the monster ablaze. Several flying creatures are taken care of and the battle seems to be over. Garret looks wide-eyed from Durnan to the sleeping gang members to the others in the room, "What was THAT?!?". A grin spreads across his face as he tidies himself up a bit and puts his bow away. Just when I was starting to get a little bored.

Yawning Portal:

As the scene calms down, Durnan works to hack the head off the troll to make sure its dead before motioning for the employees who hid to start trying to clean up the tavern. Seeing the group he motions towards them, "And get them a round of drinks on the house -- all the supposed adventurers around here and the lot of them ran off!"

The Half-orc woman turns at being addressed directly, frustration on her face at so many misses. She shrugs at Hokk's question, "Dunno, some Xanathar brats apparently thought I was a good target." She glances at Werner as he joins, "I could've handled myself, but I suppose I should thank you all for your aid. Name's Yagra Stonefist -- normally I can land my blows better, but at least things have calmed down now."

Hokk smiles, grabs the free ale, and scratches the back of his head in embarrassment, "I didn't hit much either don't worry about it. Is there anything we can help you with regarding the Xanathar brats?"

Still standing a little further back than the others, Fosco frowns a little. He speaks quietly but finds just the right spot for everyone to hear him. "Also, they mentioned you killin' their mates unless I heard wrong. Care to tell us why you did that? We're all together here in wanting to help, though I 'spect my methods might be a little...different from my friends here."

Fosco grabs an available mug of ale from the bar. "If you want our help, I gotta know everything I can about this gang."

Garret happily grabs his free ale and finds a seat near the group. "I never mind getting rid of a few bullies," He leans back in his chair and takes a long swig. "But I guess it'd be nice to know why."

Yawning Portal:

Yagra studied the group for a few moments, "My history is my own, but ... if you're truly interested in dealing against the Xanathar Guild, keep your eyes and ears out for a man named Davil."

Noise can be heard as an older looking man pushes through the various patrons ambling around the room and commenting on the dead -- he speaks, "So brave! So brave indeed! Truly, a credit to adventurers everywhere!" He paused, "You are adventurers, right? I could use your help, let's find a table to talk, shall we?" He seems to finally realize Yagra is standing there, "Oh, my dear! Am I interrupting?"

Shaking her head, she replies, "Not at all, chronicler, I was just about to find a less chaotic bar for the night. Be well." Bowing her head towards the party she grabbed her things and exited.

The older man clasps his hand and looks each of you over with a grin, "Shall we?"

Moving to a table where he happily sits, waiting for you all to join him, the figure who approached you strokes his mustache, adjusts his floppy hat, and tightens his scarf. "Volothamp Geddarm, chronicler, wizard, and celebrity, at your service. I trust you've noted the violence in our fair city these past tendays. I haven't seen so much blood since my last visit to Baldur's Gate! But now I fear I have misplaced a friend amid this odious malevolence."

Looking slightly embarrassed as he continued, "My friend's name is Floon Blagmaar. He's got more beauty than brains, and I worry he took a bad way home a couple nights ago and was kidnapped-or worse. If you agree to track him down with all due haste, I can offer you ten dragons apiece now, and I can give you each ten times that when you find Floon. May I prevail upon you in my hour of need?"

"I'm not-" Wrecker stops, rubs the back of his neck and then smiles. 100 dragons apiece? That would get him far, and the forge had been slow lately. Malrakir had been explaining the easy money to be made if one could get a quest. And one had just walked up to him. "I'm in."

Fosco just hides a laugh at the name "Floon Blagmaar," then licks his lips and says "I'll take the dragons." He was taking a risk, assuming this was an honest man. He didn't want to end up on the wrong side of the law here.

Garret scratches his head for a couple of seconds, doing the math. "I'm not one to say 'no' to easy gold, but that's a lot of coin for a 'friend'. Who is this Floon and why is he so important to you?" Something's a little fishy here. "Do you know who might want to take or hurt him?"

Hokk starts to connect some dots in Waterdeep, he steps to the side of the enamored Werner, "And do you also know if he was working for or had any debts to Xanathar's or Zhentarim's gangs? From what I've heard and seen they seem to be the two big trouble makers in Waterdeep."

Yawning Portal:

At Werner's words, Volo grins, "Ah! A fan, always a pleasure to meet one."

Volo strokes his mustache as he thinks for a moment to answer the group's questions. "Floon is a long time friend of mine, and when I have moments of ... writer's blocks, he tends to help me get through them, usually by drinking. He may have irritated a few by acting as though he's noble, given the way he dresses, but I don't think he'd be involved in gangs! The lad's only got his looks to live off of, gangs and guilds would be too much for him." Taking a drink from his mug he continued, "Floon is quite a handsome man, in ... I'd say his early thirties, with wavy red-blond hair. He enjoys wearing princely garb, and was doing so when I last saw him two nights ago."

"Do you know where he was coming from?" Wrecker is already pondering places in the city where snatching someone that looked like a noble would be possible without getting the full force of the guard called down on you.

"Or where he was going to?" Fosco adds right after. "Or if there was anyone who may have held a grudge on 'im, or the like. Might help findin' whoever it is took 'im."

"Those would seem a good place to start." Gold is gold, and worst case I've got ten dragons. Garret takes another long sip from his mug. "Also, any other favorite haunts of his would probably be helpful." Maybe he's just passed out in a corner somewhere. Ugh, nothing's ever that easy.

Yawning Portal:

Smiling as he took another swig from his mug, the older man set the drink down before speaking again, working through responses, "Well ... we met up at the Skewered Dragon -- a tavern not far from here in the Dock Ward. We drank ... gambled a bit ... then sadly I needed to head home to the comfort of my bed. Floon stuck around for a bit -- he seemed to be enjoying himself, and the lad doesn't tend to keep a schedule." He looked across the group, "I believe that answers you all?" His gaze landed on Werner at his question, "Well ... I'd rather not get the Watch involved when for all I know Floon's just been busy entertaining someone. Rather spend a few dragons on some brave and capable adventurers than cause an uproar just in case I'm wrong, you understand?"

"Hey, the Dragon! I love that joint!" A dangerous place for a well-dressed dandy flashing money around. "I say we head over, maybe have another pint, and ask around as to who saw what and when." Garret polishes off his mug and sets it on a nearby table. He gives a casual salute towards the barkeep. "Durnan, as always, thank you for the amazing ambiance."

Yawning Portal:

Durnan was busy cleaning his blade, glancing up as he was addressed directly. He shrugged, "You'd think wouldn't you? And yet people keep findin' monsters and treasures. Usually they don't come out of the pit, but nothin' tends to be set in stone around here."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back