• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (D&D 5e Campaign)

findinmyself

chillin
Hey all!

My name's Jake, and I've been a DM for about a year now. I work with 4 different groups regularly, and I'm the DM for all of them. Stressful, but I find it really fun! I would say I have much more experience than what a normal year of playing this game would bring, since I play it so much as a DM. Guess what, I'm gonna DM something else now! Honestly, I've wanted to be an actual player for so long, but it's hard to find other DM's willing to do an online game. So, on the group hunt I go. And what better campaign to start a group off with than Waterdeep: Dragon Heist!

In case none of you are aware, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist is an official D&D 5th Edition campaign, set in their world of Faerun (Or the Forgotten Realms). It is, more specifically, as you could have guessed, set in Waterdeep, a large city in the Sword's Coast. I love this as both a campaign and a campaign setting, as the city has so much depth to it that it gives the DM to mess around with. It's an urban, super sleuth sort of campaign, but don't worry, there's a little bit for everyone. Hack'n'Slash? Go ahead, there are plenty of bad guys to fight. Story? There is so much going on in this campaign. Characters? My god, do you have to even ask?

In terms of gameplay, you will all start at Level 1 and slowly work your way up to Level 5. It's a slow burn in terms of progression, since there is so much stuff happening and there is a lot of side stuff going on.

I do have a few requirements of people, which sounds boring but I assure you it's for the good of the game:
  • At least some experience. I want the game to flow well, so a basic understanding of mechanics goes a long way.
  • Deep and rich characters. You don't have to make a 10 paragraph backstory, but I would like for you to go into the game with some level of understanding of what your character is and how their past has shaped their present.
  • Decent writing skills. For example: 'Orinn walks up to the door and opens it'. That is boring as hell. How about: 'Knowing anything could be behind this door, Orinn steels herself, wrapping her hand gingerly around the handle of the door and pulling it back slowly, ready for anything behind it.'. That's much better, eh?
  • Thinking smart. Waterdeep: Dragon Heist is complex, and will need some level of caution and rational thinking going into it. After all, nobody want's to die at level one.
Other than that, I'm a fairly lenient DM. I like allowing players to use homebrew, mess around with new and creative things, and think outside the box.

I would prefer for everyone to use D&DBeyond for their characters, since it's the most easy for me as a DM to organise. If you really have to, you can use a character sheet, but it would save me a little stress on my part. I have all of the necessary source-books that I am able to share with you all, because I have a subscription and also a lot of the books. So you don't need to worry about that.

I would like a party of approximately 4-6 players, maybe being lenient to having 7. I do not want to have a cramped group at all, but if lots of people are interested, I'm more than happy to include as many people as I could possibly handle!

If anyone is interested, drop a thingy below saying so! I'd love to know your player experience and literary talents. Cheers!

OMG this sounds like an absolutely golden opportunity! Just got one question, will this be session-based or play-by-post? I can't imagine it will be too frequent even if session based, given you are running 4 other RPs and all, but nonetheless it's pertinent to ask.

OMG this sounds like an absolutely golden opportunity! Just got one question, will this be session-based or play-by-post? I can't imagine it will be too frequent even if session based, given you are running 4 other RPs and all, but nonetheless it's pertinent to ask.
Thanks for the interest! I'll be running it play by post, since I am kind of busy, but I always have some gaps in my time to post consistently! Some other info I should have left is that I'm in GMT, living in England, so if people want more consistent posts to run for a longer time and some better pacing, keep that in mind. During the pandemic, I'll be really free, so we should be all good on that front.

Thanks for the interest! I'll be running it play by post, since I am kind of busy, but I always have some gaps in my time to post consistently! Some other info I should have left is that I'm in GMT, living in England, so if people want more consistent posts to run for a longer time and some better pacing, keep that in mind. During the pandemic, I'll be really free, so we should be all good on that front.
Well, that is just excellent! Absolutely count me in then!

By the way, I do have a homebrew druid subclass I'd like to playtest, mind if I run it by you so you can see whether it would be acceptable? I can chat through PMs or discord, whichever you'd prefer.

Hey! Love me some good old dnd. Just have a few questions before I can commit to a game!

Since it's play by post, how many answers are required everyday? If I am in another time zone (EDT), will this be a problem?

While I frequently play DnD, it would be my first time doing so in writing, so I'm a bit unsure what to expect here. Fast paced answers with only a few sentences every hours? Or a few paragraphs everyday?

As for my role, I can pretty much fill whatever is needed.

Hey! Love me some good old dnd. Just have a few questions before I can commit to a game!

Since it's play by post, how many answers are required everyday? If I am in another time zone (EDT), will this be a problem?

While I frequently play DnD, it would be my first time doing so in writing, so I'm a bit unsure what to expect here. Fast paced answers with only a few sentences every hours? Or a few paragraphs everyday?

As for my role, I can pretty much fill whatever is needed.
I won't be expecting more than a couple of posts a day if timezones are an issue. They shouldn't be too much at least in terms of us two, since they aren't terribly far away. In a dice roleplaying game, it can be a little harder to write massive paragraphs, which I understand. All that I ask for is a non-boring description of what your character is doing, as described above. You would normally declare what you were doing and roll for it. I'll go along with it most of the time, but if it's like 'i punch the guard, nat 20' that's where we stop for a second. Or something just impossible. And for a role, I do not care in the slightest what anyone takes! I pride myself on never asking for a good team comp, but instead for people doing what they think will be fun for roleplay.

Hello! If you’re still looking for players please let me know! This seems like an awesome and wonderful opportunity to play! I’d be looking to play as a bard or warlock!

I'm currently holding a Dragon Heist game as a GM, but I'd absolutely love to be on the other side, I never got the chance to. Now I have the book and I know all the storylines and have played through all the seasons bu Winter, would that be a problem for me joining?

Well that's actually kind of perfect, considering I was planning on running winter! As long as you don't metagame, I'd love to have you on. DM me so we can talk about potential characters and the like.

We do! That doesn't mean we're closed however, I have space for maybe one or two more. What this does mean is that we can actually begin to plan what's going to happen, and now I know there's enough interest to begin some preparation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back