• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Warhammer 40K: The Interex Valhalla

I have noticed a fairly common house rule seems to be allowing unrestricted origin paths (i.e. steps do not have to be adjacent). It seems to open up some backstory options but I'm not going to be heartbroken either way. Are we interested or should we stick closer to the official rules?

Eplov said:
I have noticed a fairly common house rule seems to be allowing unrestricted origin paths (i.e. steps do not have to be adjacent). It seems to open up some backstory options but I'm not going to be heartbroken either way. Are we interested or should we stick closer to the official rules?
He's fine with unrestricted Origin Paths. I made a character with that and it was fine. Although I may have lost said character's stats. Oh well, I'll rebuild him. WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!

FYI, he was an Arch-Militant. Just so you know what's already here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know. Are there any other roles taken? I'd prefer to avoid duplication.

Also, I'm relatively new to WH40K, where in the timeline are we in comparison to Horus Rising, the book I'm reading now to get some background.

I'm going to be a Navigator and I don't know about the exact time period but this roughly, 15000 years after the Horus Heresy? I'm not that well versed in the lore but I do know some of it.

Don't worry, boys. I know 40K pretty well.

I am also having some issues with my PDFs. They're not working, for some unknown reason. I'm trying to resolve this, but for now my character will not be up.

So, we have an Arch-Militant and a Navigator. We will need a Rogue Trader, so that'll either have to be a GMPC, @Eplov, or a fourth person. Or I can make some more characters to fill that.

Hmm, I hadn't really considered being the Rogue Trader since I had assumed it was taken but I will definitely give it some thought.

So far my interest seems to keep dragging me back to the Explorator. I'm interested in the RT but I don't think I know enough about the setting to make that work.

I, uh, got a little carried away in writing his Bio. But fuck it, I like it.

Now, I am considering making a Tau, but it's debatable on whether or not I can be stuffed to do that. Probably not. One character's enough.

Oh, I can't believe that I forgot to hit "Watch" on this thread!

Anyways, to answer a question @Eplov asked on the overview:

Our relationship with technology is more similar to the Tau than the Imperium, correct. The main difference between our microfaction and the Tau, though, is that ours is very individualistic (in contrast to the highly collectivist Tau). Some of this is continuation of Interex's old policies, as well as Apollo Torque re-envisioning society in his own image.

At the start, our goal will simply be to gain a stable foothold in the Koronus expanse-in fact, we might even start getting the lost worlds to join our cause. For great justice. Other goals will start popping up soon, too, but I wouldn't want to spoil it :)

Oh, shit. I missed the bit where we're our own minifaction. Oh, that's going to be sweet when that gets fully into the swing of it. I'm suddenly doubly hyped for this.

Yes, we'll be basically a minifaction of sorts. Apollo's from Interex, and is forming a new society loosely based on its ideals and his own. It's like the Tau, but individualistic (even pseudo-Objectivst) rather than collectivist. So basically it's like a slightly better Rapture in Spaaaaace.

So, if I were to run an Explorator how would he/she interact with machines? Also, would the tau droid controller alternate level be an option (or something similar) since we seem to have no issues with semi-sentient machines.

Eplov said:
So, if I were to run an Explorator how would he/she interact with machines? Also, would the tau droid controller alternate level be an option (or something similar) since we seem to have no issues with semi-sentient machines.
They might decide that, since on paper the Admech have some ideas that support learning ("Comperehension is the key to all things") they might view AIs as a lesser evil to forgoing that knowledge (though they might not trust them at least not right off the bat).

And using a Tau-like Drone Controller alternate level is perfectly fine. (In fact, I'll be doing that myself-but don't worry, my character's still mostly a charisma build, so I don't think we'll overlap too much).

Okay, Explorator incoming...

Oh, so I was looking at @Fezzes CS and noticed his BS of 55. Is that a reasonable proficiency to shoot for (*snicker*) at start? I would like to be on the same general level as everyone else.

Eplov said:
Oh, so I was looking at @Fezzes CS and noticed his BS of 55. Is that a reasonable proficiency to shoot for (*snicker*) at start? I would like to be on the same general level as everyone else.
I don't think there's a rule against it. My character's fellowship is almost that high.

Every character has 25 automatically in each category, with 100 points to distribute, so I think it'll be fine.

Explorator's get two free bionic implants so I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between a Ballistic Mechadendrite and a MIU Weapon Interface. It seems like the mechadendrite is more limiting while the MIU could potentially be swapped out for a different type of weapon down the road. Also, the MIU is a free action vs. the mechadendrite uses a reaction, of which you only get one per round. I'm not seeing the advantage of the more specialized mechadendrite when the one available to the non-enlightened is so much better. The only advantage I can see is the mechadendrite could be fired around a corner without exposing the Explorator, but it says it has no optical targeting facilities built in. Any help/guidance?

Eplov said:
Explorator's get two free bionic implants so I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between a Ballistic Mechadendrite and a MIU Weapon Interface. It seems like the mechadendrite is more limiting while the MIU could potentially be swapped out for a different type of weapon down the road. Also, the MIU is a free action vs. the mechadendrite uses a reaction, of which you only get one per round. I'm not seeing the advantage of the more specialized mechadendrite when the one available to the non-enlightened is so much better. The only advantage I can see is the mechadendrite could be fired around a corner without exposing the Explorator, but it says it has no optical targeting facilities built in. Any help/guidance?
I don't know much about how cybernetics work in this game. Let me look into it...

From what I've read online, indeed, the MIU is usually the better way to go. The two aren't mutually exclusive, either, from what I understand.

Eplov said:
To be fair, I got that by putting the max into BS, then getting a +5 from being a Stubjack, then another +5 from purchasing the Simple Characteristic Advance. So his theoretical limit for BS is 70, unless some outside factor increases it. And he does have a Fellowship of 11.

I figured you put some effort into getting that high of a BS, I was just trying to figure out what a good baseline for being combat effective would be. Can someone give me a bit of guidance on acquiring gear that isn't automatic with a particular career path?

Eplov said:
I figured you put some effort into getting that high of a BS, I was just trying to figure out what a good baseline for being combat effective would be. Can someone give me a bit of guidance on acquiring gear that isn't automatic with a particular career path?
If you want skills and equipment that don't necessarily come standard with your particular class, that's fine. What do you have in mind?

Well, I'm sort of in a mish-mash place. Since we're all heretical and such anyhow, I want to run the Explorator as an Arch-Heretek (from Hostile Acquisitions) in terms of skills and background knowledge but I'm concerned about loosing all of the Explorator goodness in the process. The books mentions taking missed skills as elite advances, but I'm concerned about paying double exp for most of my low level skills in the name of character concept. I'm thinking Arch Heretek style technology, which she cobbles together from her own knowledge and whatever she discovers. I may want to eventually dip into Acolyte of Abraxas if she finds some sort of juicy psychically charged xenos artifacts along the way.

Eplov said:
Well, I'm sort of in a mish-mash place. Since we're all heretical and such anyhow, I want to run the Explorator as an Arch-Heretek (from Hostile Acquisitions) in terms of skills and background knowledge but I'm concerned about loosing all of the Explorator goodness in the process. The books mentions taking missed skills as elite advances, but I'm concerned about paying double exp for most of my low level skills in the name of character concept. I'm thinking Arch Heretek style technology, which she cobbles together from her own knowledge and whatever she discovers. I may want to eventually dip into Acolyte of Abraxas if she finds some sort of juicy psychically charged xenos artifacts along the way.
Well, the Arch-Keretek replaces the second rank only, FYI.

I might use my GM powers to change some things if you like. There's also quite a bit of overlap from what I can gather between the Explorator's rank 2 and the Heretek.

I know there's a lot of overlap, I'm looking at the heretek is for RP reasons. She should be hated by the Adeptus Mechanicus for her self made goodies and heretical ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back