• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Warhammer 40k RP

Zachman3000

So... I'm aware that there's a risk when it comes to making a RP in the setting of Warhammer 40k due to the sheer scope of it. But I've been getting so many ideas for awhile that I figured it couldn't hurt to at least try to get one of them off the ground. Now, I've been working more with a starting point as opposed to an overarching plot.

What I have a this point is an idea where an Imperial Hive World is under siege by Tau forces. I figured this would be the simplest way to start, however I had the idea where the Hive World itself isn't the site of the conflict. Rather a neighboring Agricultural World would be the main site of fighting. The idea was to be that the two planets are owned by the same ruling class (for lack of a better phrase) and the two planets are reliant on one another. Of course this idea leads me to the temptation to involve politics somehow, but exactly how escapes me.

The main thing I was pondering at this point is whether or not to start with more than just the Imperial Guard and Tau, or start with just those two and include more down the road.

Its also worth mentioning that I was thinking about having the Agricultural World would be where the Imperial Guard and Tau would fight and would primarily be action based. While the Hive World (unless RP isn't split across different planets and if I do indeed start with more than one faction) would have a hidden Chaos Cult and a group from the Inquisition going toe to toe in the shadows... And maybe Eldar... As you can see, I mostly need help on figuring out how to start. I don't really plan on setting up an entire schedule for the plot. I mean, of course I do have a general idea of how to organize it, but I'd rather leave it up to progress on its own... And now that I'm starting to ramble on and on, I'll stop here for now.

Bump, I'm strapped for time right now, but I'll be posting alittle something about the two planets later on. This post was mostly meant to remind me to do that later.

Here's the post that I promised earlier!

Luminos - The planet Luminos is the jewel of the Apollo System. It is ruled by three noble houses, all of which vie for dominance against one another. All three contribute to the Planetary Defense Force, as well as the Imperial Guard regiment raised on the planet. The three Houses will often fight limited street wars against one another using their own private armies. Each House also specialize in a certain area of life on Luminos, House Velt has the most pull with the local Imperial Guard regiment due to providing the most men for it. House Rustung, is the most industrial of the Houses, owning most of the factories on the planet. House Qaddis, being the most devout of the three Houses contributes the most to the Ecclesiarchy. Most Sisters of Battle from this planet come from House Qaddis. While all three fight for dominance, they all balance one another out to one degree or another... Now that the planet is under siege the three Houses have overtly put their differences aside to contribute to the defense... Though in secret they still vie against one another. Even worse, there are whispers in the shadows that one of the Houses are colluding with the eldritch powers of Chaos... While no evidence has surfaced to condemn any of them, the Inquisition has turned their eyes to this world to seek out the taint of the Warp... Or perhaps something far worse...

Maatalous - One cannot speak about Luminos without speaking about the Agricultural World of Maatalous, the source of sustenance for Luminos. Though it is a separate planet, the three Houses of Luminos still rule over it... Though the political in fighting is usually less severe on the peaceful planet. This is due to the three Houses not seeing the planet as vital to their plans and theirs alone, after all, all those that live on Luminos profit from what it provides. While Luminos is nigh unassailable... At least from the outside... Maatalous is far from it, making it the Achilles'' Heel of the system. A fact the Tau know well... Whoever controls this planet has control of the fate of the system. If this planet were to fall, there would be no Imperial worlds close enough to send enough aid to Luminos before it fell.

So, the basically idea is that Maatalous would be the main warzone and any/all RPs on it would be more action oriented. And I was thinking to approach it by following a squad as opposed to a grand force. And I was thinking Luminos would have a RP more focused on a group of Inquisitors trying to root out any evil secret and the like. Or it could be Game of Thrones IN SPAAAAAAACE!!!!!!! And the two settings would be intertwined to some degree. The events on one planet having an affect on the other. Though again, I'm not sure if it'd be feasible to do a RP on both planets, or if it'd be better to do the whole story on one. And just because I said Imperial Guard and Tau, doesn't mean that I'm against another faction being used. The only ones I'm truly hesitant to include from the outset (at least overtly) are Chaos, Tyrranid, or Necrons. But if someone can come up with a good way to include them I'm all ears.

I don't see why not! Fair warning, as much as I love 40k, I will freely admit I'm not an expert on it. That's part of why I went for Imperial Guard and Tau, those are the two I have the most knowledge of. I'm still torn as to whether or not to focus on both, or just one. I'd honestly prefer to play a Guardsman fighting in the battle. But I want to do the whole shadow ploys and what not just as much. GAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! I'm starting to ramble again.

To answer your question: YES! But keep in mind, it might not necessarily be Chaos they find... Then it again it might be. WHO KNOWS!?!?!

By the way, I forgot to mention that the planet Luminos is named after the bioluminescent glow that comes from the mountain peaks.

@Zachman3000

It's alright I can safely say I'm well versed in Warhammer 40k lore (currently working through the newest Horus Heresy novels) and can certainly help out with lore stuff if needed!

A Guardsman would fit in in my opinion. If the planet contributed soldiers to the Imperial Guard (as of last edition the Imperial Guards name switched to Astra Militarum but both names can be used interchangeably) it probably has Regiments garrisoned on theworld or otherwise stationed there.

I had heard that about them, I primarily still use Imperial Guard because I have an easier time wrapping my tongue around it (even after doing well in my Latin class) And you do have a point there, though keep in mind I had two planets set up for the thing. Whether or not both planets are equally used in said RP is still up in the air.

Well shit, if it isn't a 40k RP interest check. Count me in, I promise to not to be too much of a heretic scum.

In this case the Guardsmen would come from both worlds, but mostly the Hive World. However, the Tau are trying to take the Agri-World in order to 'starve out' the Hive World. So (at least in the beginning) most of the intense battling would be on the Agri-World and the Hive World was going to involve the Inquisition seeking out whatever the dark secret hidden there. Daimo, keep in mind that I'm reluctant to have Chaos front and center at the outset, mostly because they seem better suited as the major plot twist. But feel free to use a Chaos based character at any point, just don't expect a full blown Chaos warband at the git-go.

Zachman3000 said:
In this case the Guardsmen would come from both worlds, but mostly the Hive World. However, the Tau are trying to take the Agri-World in order to 'starve out' the Hive World. So (at least in the beginning) most of the intense battling would be on the Agri-World and the Hive World was going to involve the Inquisition seeking out whatever the dark secret hidden there. Daimo, keep in mind that I'm reluctant to have Chaos front and center at the outset, mostly because they seem better suited as the major plot twist. But feel free to use a Chaos based character at any point, just don't expect a full blown Chaos warband at the git-go.
Lol, I just mentioned being a heretic, because I refuse to play guard or spess mehrines when I play the 40k miniatures game.

Same here, Space Marines to the rescue.

49402_a1b84a29401d8b0f749bbff57c001478.jpg

Alright, I'm still working out a starting point for the whole thing, and the general direction I'd be interesting in starting off towards (I enjoy letting the plot develop mostly by itself with a few guided moments). But I do know I'd rather keep the Space Marines limited towards the beginning, mostly to keep things going abit.

Alright, I've decided that the overt participants in the beginning will include Imperial Guard and Tau (in a more overt fashion) Both primarily focused on the Agri-World for the most part. Space Marines (in a more limited fashion so as to not overwhelm the Tau) and their free to go back and forth between the two worlds as they see fit. The Inquisition (same basic situation as the Space Marines)

I'm not sure which regiment to use for the IG (I have made one up, but I understand that might not be a popular approach) No idea what Chapter to use, or Sept.

The Chaos/Eldar/Dark Eldar are something I'd like to use, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to use them. Or if it would even work out well.

Could just use vanilla Cadian style Guard and give it a random name like the Luminos 5th Rifles or whatever. Of course if there is actual fighting over a planet there would probably be more than one Regiment present.

Chapter I imagine would probably be a squad strength so probably not even a Strike Cruiser would be present but a smaller Astartes ship to ferry this unit when away from its parent Company. As for a specific chapter we could go Black Templars as they are numerous and all over the place being Fleet based.

Dark Eldar being raiders could be a side show. Eldar likewise work behind the scenes and only engage in overt force when necassary due to their limited numbers.

Chaos depends on what you mean by Chaos. Chaos Space Marines? Chaos Demons? Chaos Cultists? Lost and the Damned? Chaos cultists would be easiest, maybe a Guard Regiment goes rogue or goes to chaos to add something to the plot. Chaos Space Marines despite being prevalent in fluff would be a rarity as they typically don't bother unless shits really going down or they need some specific thing.

But that's all my two cents from reading the fluff.

If it wouldn't be over stepping would you mind if I headed the Inquisitorial faction present? I have a Lady Inquisitor character in mind to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind if you run the Inquisitorial bit of it all. In fact it might be best seeing as I don't know much about it beyond the historical basis of it.

That's mostly what I was going for with the Guard, I did have a original one in mind. But its mostly an aesthetic thing as opposed to a completely new group. Also, that's more or less what I had in mind for the Space Marines numerically, Black Templars sound as good as any for the faction... But it might be best to see who plans on playing as the Space Marines and let them decide on which Chapter. Basically I just don't want entire companies from every chapter to show up. Also, at this point in time I was thinking about the battle having started relatively recently and only the IG regiments raised on Luminos being present. But that's still up in the air.

I was thinking about the Eldar being behind the scenes and all, but I wasn't sure how much to include them. And the Dark Eldar might just end up being mentioned at this rate.

As for Chaos, I was thinking more along the lines of cultist. Sorta the secret evil lurking in one of the three Houses as they try to dominate politically.

Keep in mind, at this point all I'm really focusing on is a good starting point for the plot, I prefer to let the plot itself work out naturally. And because I plan on playing a Guardsman, I'm thinking more about them and the Tau.

The plan for the start is to have the fighting and battling be on the Agri-World between the IG and the Tau (who are attempting to cut off the flow of resources to the Hive World) and the Hive World would have more of a mystery thing going at the first and they'd both be intertwined.

Can I have a Space Marine char?

In the way of having had, a dropship of Space Marines arrive, but the Tau shot it down - leaving only one Space Marine alive; with a simple bolter.

That good?

That sounds pretty good, basically no super, overpowered, unstoppable juggernaught of a Space Marine. But feel free to have a badass Space Marine.

If this helps at all, the battle at the outset is just one of territorial expansion on the part of the Tau. If can grow from there of course, but at first it wouldn't be a 'fate of the galaxy' type of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back