• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice War of Despair (Exalted 3e) - OOC

Ah, see, while I'd agree that Dragonblooded aren't super interesting.. Dynasts are, so playing in the Houses and with all the politics of the Realm is where the fun lies for me. Give me the naive Tepet sorceror-legionary who wants to save the Realm or the devote Mnemon who struggles with the needs of House vs. Order vs. Realm.
Infernals/Alchemicals are probably my favorites, then Lunars (the stewardship theme especially). Abyssals can be really cool (I've really enjoyed planning and running Abyssal games, and will try and do so once I get something I can run in Ex3 {but so far I've just created some necromancy, as I don't keep my motivation going long enough to want to tackle Charms beyond "color the Solars black"}), but I've been exposed to a lot of players who just want to go run Renegade off the bat so they can be Punisher-the-Solar in essence, which is not where I find the fun (so much Underworld stuff to do!). I like making Abyssal NPCs and plots way more than thinking "I want to play that as my character."
I'm waiting on Liminals and Exigents, but have not been particularly engaged so far. Sidereals (and their counters, from Nocturnals to the new Getimians) are a cool bundle of stuff.

As you can tell, I really enjoy characters in some larger context/scene/society. Solars can be that, but so often just the wandering adventurers (which is probably why my favorite Supernals are Lore and Bureaucracy), and I've played more than my share of D&D. (I'm not saying it's a bad way to play, I've just done it so much with the groups who only wanted to play D&D/Pathfinder.)

Ah, see, while I'd agree that Dragonblooded aren't super interesting.. Dynasts are, so playing in the Houses and with all the politics of the Realm is where the fun lies for me. Give me the naive Tepet sorceror-legionary who wants to save the Realm or the devote Mnemon who struggles with the needs of House vs. Order vs. Realm.
Infernals/Alchemicals are probably my favorites, then Lunars (the stewardship theme especially). Abyssals can be really cool (I've really enjoyed planning and running Abyssal games, and will try and do so once I get something I can run in Ex3 {but so far I've just created some necromancy, as I don't keep my motivation going long enough to want to tackle Charms beyond "color the Solars black"}), but I've been exposed to a lot of players who just want to go run Renegade off the bat so they can be Punisher-the-Solar in essence, which is not where I find the fun (so much Underworld stuff to do!). I like making Abyssal NPCs and plots way more than thinking "I want to play that as my character."
I'm waiting on Liminals and Exigents, but have not been particularly engaged so far. Sidereals (and their counters, from Nocturnals to the new Getimians) are a cool bundle of stuff.

As you can tell, I really enjoy characters in some larger context/scene/society. Solars can be that, but so often just the wandering adventurers (which is probably why my favorite Supernals are Lore and Bureaucracy), and I've played more than my share of D&D. (I'm not saying it's a bad way to play, I've just done it so much with the groups who only wanted to play D&D/Pathfinder.)

I agree, I like the intrigue and politics of a bigger group. It's what made me fall in love with Vampire. Admittedly its why I've stuck you lot with a crazy sorcerer whose parked himself in a castle. :P

Abyssals can be really cool (I've really enjoyed planning and running Abyssal games, and will try and do so once I get something I can run in Ex3 {but so far I've just created some necromancy, as I don't keep my motivation going long enough to want to tackle Charms beyond "color the Solars black"}), but I've been exposed to a lot of players who just want to go run Renegade off the bat so they can be Punisher-the-Solar in essence, which is not where I find the fun (so much Underworld stuff to do!). I like making Abyssal NPCs and plots way more than thinking "I want to play that as my character."

Yes! Maybe you can start some 2.5 stuff for the time being? I'm perfectly fine with Loyal Abyssals. One idea I had for the future evolution of the Abyssals is that a clique of them end up overthrowing the Deathlords and cutting a deal with the Creation born:

If the Void ultimately consumes all, then we can let Oblivion take its natural time. We'll take over the Underworld and keep the Neverborn penned up and you can have your living empires. Just remember, if you come down here, living or dead, we are the masters. We are the Kings of the Dead and the Labyrinth. So if we decide to use your ghosts as playtoys - tough deal - don't like it, then there's Lethe.

My favorite class of Exalt has always been the Lunars. I just love them.

My favorite class of Exalt has always been the Lunars. I just love them.
I never would have imagined, with a member title like that.
I played a Changing Moon priest-courtier from Great Forks that, among other things, wanted to reclaim the priesthood from those No Moons. Lots of fun. He was in a Solar/Lunar game, which is something I also really like. (Solid Lunar games are solid, though, there's no doubt about it.)

Yes! Maybe you can start some 2.5 stuff for the time being? I'm perfectly fine with Loyal Abyssals. One idea I had for the future evolution of the Abyssals is that a clique of them end up overthrowing the Deathlords and cutting a deal with the Creation born:

If the Void ultimately consumes all, then we can let Oblivion take its natural time. We'll take over the Underworld and keep the Neverborn penned up and you can have your living empires. Just remember, if you come down here, living or dead, we are the masters. We are the Kings of the Dead and the Labyrinth. So if we decide to use your ghosts as playtoys - tough deal - don't like it, then there's Lethe.

I'll see what the community has produced in way of Abyssal adaptations into Ex3 since I last checked (which has been quite a while). Not that combat needs to be central, but the new systems are something I just enjoy much more than 2nd.
Also, I like your theme for them. I'm not saying that Abyssals have to be at the other end (murderhobos on an Exalted scale), but I just think there is a large spectrum of potential Abyssal play in the middle. "Renegade" or "Loyalist," are you serving Oblivion, the Neverborn, your Deathlord, yourself? Redemption is fine, as long as it's not an excuse of "let me do all this bad stuff Solars don't do, then become a better Solar, because I'm the One True Anti-hero" because that diminishes both Solars and Abyssals. (I promise this will be my last rant about the matter, at least for the rest of the week.;))

I'll see what the community has produced in way of Abyssal adaptations into Ex3 since I last checked (which has been quite a while). Not that combat needs to be central, but the new systems are something I just enjoy much more than 2nd.
Also, I like your theme for them. I'm not saying that Abyssals have to be at the other end (murderhobos on an Exalted scale), but I just think there is a large spectrum of potential Abyssal play in the middle. "Renegade" or "Loyalist," are you serving Oblivion, the Neverborn, your Deathlord, yourself? Redemption is fine, as long as it's not an excuse of "let me do all this bad stuff Solars don't do, then become a better Solar, because I'm the One True Anti-hero" because that diminishes both Solars and Abyssals. (I promise this will be my last rant about the matter, at least for the rest of the week.;))

Yeah, I'm willing to cover that spectrum.

And I just found this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YW1ptPYb-5CpDbq8P_zDQLhzkN8_IClH-f8Xf-lvbDc/edit#

WlfSamurai WlfSamurai

1. I am Lumen Magna, the Knight of Solerus! I come to slay undead and bring the light of the sun to all the land!
2. I'm a massive, 8' 10" giant of a man in full articulated plate, carrying a large shield and a reaver daiklaive. Underneath the armor, I'm light-skinned with auburn hair, hazel eyes, and a fairly sizable gut. In terms of build, incredibly stocky even at my large size.
3. I'm from a small village on the edge of the Scavenger Lands. It's so old that all but one of its members had no clue what it was called, and the one who did was so old he had gone senile and couldn't speak coherently.
4. Well, seeing as there's a massive sun painted onto my armor, I'm pretty sure I'm a Zenith Caste.
5. Killing undead is my name, and rescuing people is my game - wait that doesnt make sense...

Oh well. That's all you need to know about me!

I'm going to put up the character sheet as soon as I get his intimacies worked out and I figure out how best to format it.
Your character reminds me Fuji from Rurouni Kenshin for some reason :D
hqdefault.jpg

Oh, UnassumingBoxCat UnassumingBoxCat , I'm not sure if you purchased 1 dot in the Merit Language, to buy Low Realm, on top of your native language (either Riverspeak for the Scavenger Lands or maybe Forest-tongue if he's from farther East, or even some tribal language {in which case, get 3 free tribal languages too!}). If Low Realm is his native language (which might be true if he's from nearer to Lookshy or some Realm area, although that makes being a walking "Anathema" neon sign more dangerous, especially to his cult), then I think you have another bonus point to spend somewhere.
8pts for 2 Primary Attributes (4 points each)
3 points for 3 Favored/Caste Abilities (1 point each)
3 points for 3 Merits (1 point each)
8+3+3=14 points
+1 possible for Language Merit, if Low Realm is not his native, so which would bring him to 15 bonus points.

Also, while there's nothing wrong with having two specialties in the same thing, it's important to know that they won't stack (if, say, you're using Melee mounted and using a sword).
I think your Withering attack with your Reaver Daiklave should be 13 (4Dex+5Melee+1Specialty+3Accuracy for Medium Artifact weapon).
Decisive attack with the same weapon would be 10 (4Dex+5Melee+1Specialty)
Parry is 6 ([4Dex+5Melee+1Sword Specialty]/2 then +1 for Defense bonus from medium artifact weapon) It won't be higher while mounted.
Hey, your Evasion of 0 still means they could botch!

Resolve is 4 ([4 Wits+3 Integrity]/2, round up)
Guile is 2 ([1 Manipulation + 2 Wits]/2, round up(

Raparth Raparth

I fixed some things, made some changes as were necessary.
-His Supernal ability is now Resistance
-Removed and added some Charms to work around the changed Supernal
-Swapped his Melee (While Mounted) specialty for a Resistance (While Armored) specialty
-Bonus Points: Thats pretty much how they're split up
-Language: His native language isn't spoken by anyone outside his village, so he's picked up a basic understanding of spoken Low Realm so he isn't completely lost.
-Combat Stats: I didn't include his specialties in his stats, mainly because its up to the GM as to where they apply, so I wanted to avoid throwing it in there as a base (I also would probably confuse myself with it and add the specialty twice)

Thank you for your introductions. Let’s get this underway.

I’m working on a map to give you a general idea of how large scale the spread of the undead host is, just so you know. It's not finished yet.

To start, I want to discuss the current situation and then talk about options. From there, you’ll decide where you are and what you’re doing. We’ll open a scene in each location and play.

You are all part of a Circle. You don’t have to be in the same spot or even start together. I just want you all to have some relationship to each other.

Let’s dive in. This is pure information so you can make an educated decision about what you want to do and where you want to be.

The Scavenger Lands

It’s been six months of war. The Scavenger Lands are in shambles. There are pockets of resistance and strongholds all over, but they’ve been cut off from uniting in a meaningful way. The major city-states have managed to defend some area around themselves. The constant battle at their doorstep is wearing them thin, however.

Sijan fell before the invasion. The city was an easy target and served as transport for much of the undead host into Creation. Many Liminals were killed or run out. There isn’t much left of the city itself.

Great Forks have held their own. Their powerful military keeps a strong defensive perimeter. There is also a spiritual perimeter. Something or someone has created some kind of barrier that the undead cannot cross. Most likely the triumvirate or another God. That barrier has weakened in the last six months and weakens everyday.

Lookshy has faired the best. Even before the invasion, they were self-sustaining and had one of the biggest caches of First Age artifacts, as you know. They are elite soldiers behind an expertly designed defensive fortification. They’ve kept the undead at their walls with ease. Despite this, their supplies have run thin. And space within is crowded with refugees that had fled the undead front as it slowly made its way across the Scavenger Lands. The Juggernaut and Mask of Winters sit only a few miles from Lookshy, waiting for something.

Thorns, of course, was the epicenter for most of the undead operations. The Juggernaut traveled from there over months to get to Lookshy. There is still a lot of necromantic activity there. The legions of dead are reinforced from many key locations. Thorns has become one of the most important. The Shadowland at there was changed in some way. It was somehow engineered with Essence for some purpose.

Jiara was completely destroyed early on in the War. The Dragon-Blooded there fought to the last. It was a short, bloody, ugly conflict that ended with the annihilation of the city and its people.

Nexus is locked in a bloody guerrilla ground war. It's sprawling metropolitan landscape has created territories that ebb and flow with defeat. Mercenaries, soldiers, peasants, and even a few Exalts fight street battles against the innumerable undead forces. The Guild abandoned Nexus months ago.

The southeastern forests surrounding Ma-Ha-Suchi's territory mark some of the bloodiest battlegrounds. The old Lunar and his people hold the undead back from spreading south, but they continue to pay dearly for it.

The Realm

The undead invasion was the spark that was needed for the Scarlet Dynasty to fall completely apart. The Realm is in full civil war. What started as a conflict over military resources and strategy has turned into open war for the Throne. Most of the Realm's Legions have been recalled to the Blessed Isle.

Other Rumors/News

The Bull in the North has taken most of the northern territories with the folding of the Realm forces. Word is that he's digging-in by building defenses and strongholds to protect his people when the undead reach that far.

You

Now. Tell us what your thinking. Let's discuss. What are some questions? I'll answer honestly, but won't know everything. I want to know where you're going to start.

So you have expectations, I will "zoom" in and out of battles to allow for large scale conflicts and small one-on-one fights. I also will be moving time forward and back in different intervals. Sometimes we'll have a conflict roll to pass a large period of time. Sometimes we'll focus on every swing of the sword.

Ozric Vold has probably been at his keep summoning demons and elementals to bolster his defenses. Trying to keep what dead wander into his territory at bay while plotting ways to try to hinder them.

He'd have offered shelter to the Circle and admitted his intentions without shame, but is determined to pursue the war no matter what even if he doesn't become King or Emperor of the Riverlands. More so he's taking in refugees while plotting to influence them into taking up his banner.

I was thinking Arcanum Keep would be located centrally due to his being an occult merchant and scavenger lord.
full

This position is open to debate as I could see him being deeper into the Hundred Kingdoms area as well.

Wukang was at Nexus joining fight on the streets and sometimes assassinates leaders of undead army. One question about Nexus? Where is Emisssary during invasion? And if he is missing how long has he been missing?

Cleon I think right now is in the vicinity of the Keep. Probably had used Tiger Warrior and League of Iron Prep to turn the Voldsword and any refugees into an additional guard force.

Currently, there's a question of strategy - one thing that strikes me is that this is the Riverlands, and all three main holdouts plus the Keep and Thorns are all roughly accessible by sea/river. And you can't successfully prosecute a port siege when the other side controls the waters.

So maybe if we figured out some war machines, a flotilla to mount them, and probably water elemental support...

Raparth Raparth
-Combat Stats: I didn't include his specialties in his stats, mainly because its up to the GM as to where they apply, so I wanted to avoid throwing it in there as a base (I also would probably confuse myself with it and add the specialty twice)

The GM certainly always makes the final decision, but when you're figuring out what your Parry is with a sword, and your Melee specialty is in swords, it will [normally] always apply. Since specialties are added in before the division-by-two step, in the case of your Parry, it doesn't help you (although it will once you get a Dex of 5). Your Parry is only a base of 6, with or without your specialty. (4+5)/2, round up, +1=6 Parry

full

This position is open to debate as I could see him being deeper into the Hundred Kingdoms area as well.
The "Hundred Kingdoms" is the area north of Vaneha (and maybe northeast of Great Forks). It's certainly east of Nexus. Your dot is in the heart of the western Scavenger Lands. Certainly Wlfsamurai could put it somewhere else, but that's where it is according to the corebook (so that's all I know right now).

As for where we are now... I was thinking that Hadria had taken an expedition to towards the Hundred Kingdoms to establish a trade route that was new (this was also the trip on which she Exalted). She is ready/willing to help the Circle. Her immediate goals would be creating links between the various surviving forces, but she would always make sure it was subtly clear how much of an advantage a restored and united series of Saltspires (the manses themselves) would be for their war with the Dead.

Last edited:
Before we start I want to ask one thing. Join battle is essentially an awareness roll and subject to any awareness boosting charm is this correct?

Before we start I want to ask one thing. Join battle is essentially an awareness roll and subject to any awareness boosting charm is this correct?
It is Wits + Awareness, then you add in three extra dice.

Short answer: Some.
Long answer: Anything that works reflexively to increase either the direct dice-pool (like the Excellency) or gives all your dice a boost (like Sensory Acuity Prana) would help. In general, I would only count on Charms that explicitly state they can be used for Join Battle, like: Awakening Eye, Eyeless Harbinger Awareness, Inner Eye Focus, or Knowing Beyond Silence.
Lots of the other Awareness Charms give very specific boosts that may just situationally help Join Battle, if ever.

Thanks for fielding all the mechanics questions, guys.

Wukang was at Nexus joining fight on the streets and sometimes assassinates leaders of undead army. One question about Nexus? Where is Emisssary during invasion? And if he is missing how long has he been missing?
Great question. Missing is a strong word. Absent, I think is better. He hasn't raised a hand. The Council early on attempted to mount a mercenary force to fight against the horde of undead, but they eventually were outlasted.

Ozric Vold has probably been at his keep summoning demons and elementals to bolster his defenses. Trying to keep what dead wander into his territory at bay while plotting ways to try to hinder them.

He'd have offered shelter to the Circle and admitted his intentions without shame, but is determined to pursue the war no matter what even if he doesn't become King or Emperor of the Riverlands. More so he's taking in refugees while plotting to influence them into taking up his banner.

I was thinking Arcanum Keep would be located centrally due to his being an occult merchant and scavenger lord.
full

The "Hundred Kingdoms" is the area north of Vaneha (and maybe northeast of Great Forks). It's certainly east of Nexus. Your dot is in the heart of the western Scavenger Lands. Certainly Wlfsamurai could put it somewhere else, but that's where it is according to the corebook (so that's all I know right now).
No, I won't place it anywhere. It's up to you where you want to place it. I want to be sure we focus the story where you want to play. The undead haven't crossed the river yet to the Hundred Kingdoms, though there is unrest there. I didn't mention it in my situation report. It was late and I forgot that and Rathess. I'll make a separate post to add those.

The Hundred Kingdoms are in chaos. Some from taking refugees. Others from squabbling over limited military resources. Still others have chaos being stirred up by riots or religious extremist revolt. The call for a united effort against the coming war was been made, but seemingly fell on deaf ears.

While they spread west and north, the dead have elite units heading deep into the east. For Rathess.

All of this is malleable. It's all up for discussion.

Sorry, just to clarify, I'm totally fine with either our focus or the castle or what-have-you being anywhere... I was just trying to point out that the Hundred Kingdoms, as an area, is not where Crocodile Crocodile has the red dot on his map (and he's said Ozric's castle is in the Hundred Kingdoms).

Exalted Third Edition page 91 said:
As one heads farther east, the polities of the western Scavenger Lands give way to the morass of principalities called the Hundred Kingdoms.
To hold off the jungle tribes that raid from the Far East, Vanehan laborers expand and extend the Great Palisade, a wall of sharpened boles running for hundreds of miles along the realm’s eastern edge. Keeping the tribes at bay allows Vaneha’s warriors to focus their efforts on a more profitable opponent: the Hundred Kingdoms. Vaneha’s people have invaded that region many times before, even ruled it in the past as a conquering power. Now the Sword Prince raises the Imperial Daiklave to direct the clans northward once more.
"Farther east" being from Nexus (and Great Forks, also described in the previous sections).

Sorry, just to clarify, I'm totally fine with either our focus or the castle or what-have-you being anywhere... I was just trying to point out that the Hundred Kingdoms, as an area, is not where Crocodile Crocodile has the red dot on his map (and he's said Ozric's castle is in the Hundred Kingdoms).

"Farther east" being from Nexus (and Great Forks, also described in the previous sections).
Cool. Makes sense. I always forget the Hundred Kingdoms are on the north side of the river.

I would love to dive into Rathess. I love that setting.

When a Storyteller is that enthusiastic, it is never a good thing for the players.

Hmmm, I suppose the keep could be put further east to be more in the Hundred Kingdoms zone since they've kinda shifted it. I just don't know where Ozric would set down his claim best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back