• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice War of Despair (Exalted 3e) - OOC

Question relevant for my next action: I know abominations have 11 soak but is it all natural or some of it armored soak? If some of it armored soak how much of it?

@UnassumingBoxCat
Also, Great Light (he's like a shark... but with the name "Lumen Magna"... or is that just a title too?) is the lucky one who finds his Lunar mate first. Fun to be had! (I personally love Solar/Lunar games and can't wait for Lunars to be out so I can go back to playing Luna's Chosen.)
I'm a huge Lunars fan. I can't wait for that book.

Question relevant for my next action: I know abominations have 11 soak but is it all natural or some of it armored soak? If some of it armored soak how much of it?
It's all natural, baby. 600 lbs. of all "natural" rotting flesh for your attacking pleasure.

Here is a mechanics question with regards to a couple of my Charms. Is it possible to combine the effects of my Trance of Unhesitating Speed and Nova Arrow Attack to be able to fire multiple explosive arrows in one action as a massive Decisive Attack?

Here is a mechanics question with regards to a couple of my Charms. Is it possible to combine the effects of my Trance of Unhesitating Speed and Nova Arrow Attack to be able to fire multiple explosive arrows in one action as a massive Decisive Attack?
I haven't seen any Dev clarification on it yet, and obviously it's up to WlfSamurai, but from my reading, I'd say no. NAA makes it clear it is a non-standard decisive attacks, and those (in other cases) seem to be very separate from Charms that boost standard <insert type> attacks.

Also, even if you COULD, since you have to split initiative on attacks for ToUS and NAA uses Initiative for damage, it wouldn't be a gain of damage.

Wait, no, sorry, easy rule: They're both Simple type Charms. So nope.

Since both are simple charms it means they take one action themselves thus you can't combine them together for one attack. You might be able to flurry them in same tick however but it is highly unlikely.

Since both are simple charms it means they take one action themselves thus you can't combine them together for one attack. You might be able to flurry them in same tick however but it is highly unlikely.
Exalted 3rd Edition Page 252 said:
Simple—A simple Charm counts as a combat action in and of itself, and obeys the normal timing rules of combat actions: it can only be used on the character’s turn. Simple Charms cannot be placed in a flurry, and as a result, a character can only use one simple Charm per round. Simple Charms generally create actions using their governing Ability, unless otherwise indicated.

Battle groups are interesting. You basically always want to do withering attacks against them. Strange.

Battle groups are interesting. You basically always want to do withering attacks against them. Strange.
Often true. Although, if you have a bunch of Initiative from something else, decisive can be really effective. (Plus, BGs have more soak, but not more hardness, than their average member.)

Exalted page 209 said:
Decisive attacks directed against a battle group also resolve normally, save that they, too, are applied to its Magnitude, and inflict one additional level of automatic damage per four damage dice rolled (round up).
Doing the auto damage (and just from rolled dice, not even successful dice) is handy... and makes things like Death of Obsidian Butterflies (or Nova Arrow Attack) even better.

Now, if you're just starting combat with just you and an enemy BG, you're going to be using withering almost exclusively, because you can't really gain enough Initiative from them to pull off a good decisive attack. (Charms, of course, can alter that.)

Often true. Although, if you have a bunch of Initiative from something else, decisive can be really effective. (Plus, BGs have more soak, but not more hardness, than their average member.)

Doing the auto damage (and just from rolled dice, not even successful dice) is handy... and makes things like Death of Obsidian Butterflies (or Nova Arrow Attack) even better.

Now, if you're just starting combat with just you and an enemy BG, you're going to be using withering almost exclusively, because you can't really gain enough Initiative from them to pull off a good decisive attack. (Charms, of course, can alter that.)
Oh yes! Good call. I forgot about that. I wonder what the break down on value is, though. Because the decisive attacks can have such large pools.

Couple of housekeeping items. I think from now on, due to the nature of the medium, if you're writing a description at all, just take a two-point stunt.

Also, from now on, if it's a mundane enemy or a battle group, I'll be posting their applicable defense value and soak so you can apply them and roll damage yourself.

It's going to be pretty complicated, if there is a rule. It's not just post-soak weapon damage vs. your Initiative, it's also how much defense they have (since withering benefits from threshold successes, but decisive does not). That and weapon accuracy doesn't help with decisive attacks.

Things to consider: enemy soak, enemy defense, your weapon accuracy, your weapon damage, your initiative
... and that's all before caring about Charms.

You lose your weapon accuracy when you go decisive, so you weigh that along with the difference in your post-soak withering damage vs. your initiative, and you would like your initiative for decisive attacks to be 4n+1 (i.e. 1, 5, 9, 13,...) to maximize your benefit from going decisive. 4n+2 would be okay, 4n+3 would be wasteful, and 4n (which is the same as 4n+4) is a crime.

I have no idea how to handle the stats for Sasha's battle group. I do know that its a Size 3 (125 men) Elite group, but beyond that, I don't know how many dice to roll.

Sherwood Sherwood A couple things I noticed: Nova Arrow Attack uses your Initiative (max 10) as an attack roll. Your initiative is 4 (having just reset). It'll be 4 dice to attack.

Also (although WlfSamurai WlfSamurai will have the weigh in), I don't think Fiery Arrow Attack can boost Nova Arrow Attack. Fluff reason: it's a bomb, it's already on fire. Crunch reason: NAA is not a normal decisive attack, it doesn't have a target (that you do more damage by hitting with fire or catching on fire with the arrow) as it targets a range band, and adding one auto-success (or more) on hitting everyone in a band is a lot of gain for 2 motes. I could be wrong about this interpretation. Just throwing it out there as a consideration.

As for your BG, +3 to attack/damage/soak/magnitude track from Size, +2 to command and defense from Drill. I'm guessing your group gets the "Battle-Ready Troops/Medium Infantry" stats, which are:

Essence: 1; Willpower: 4; Join Battle: 6 dice
Health Levels: -0/-1x2/-2x2/-4/Incap.
Actions: Senses: 4 dice; Threaten: 4 dice
Appearance 2, Resolve 2, Guile 1
Combat
Attack (Chopping sword): 7 dice (Damage 12,
minimum 2)
Attack (Long spear): 5 dice (Damage 14)
Attack (Shield bash): 6 dice (Damage 12)
Combat Movement: 4 dice
Evasion 2, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 8/0 (Reinforced buff jacket)

So, as a BG, a spear attack would be 8 to hit, then will do 17 damage.

Her initiative was up to (I believe) 14, but the attack does a max of 10d10 damage. Without the extra success from the one Charm, she still has five successes off of her roll to do some damage to the zombies. I keep on trying to find a combination of Charms that I can add to Nova Arrow to boost its effectiveness, but so far, I'm not finding one. Even so, the kaboom arrow is pretty dang good on its own.

Also, thanks for the stats of the battle group. I'll add that to my character sheet so I can quickly find it again.

It's listed as 4 right now at least on the post right before yours. A point to note is that you don't get initiative from withering a battle group (besides the +1 for a successful withering attack).

Base is three, then there is the +1 for being a Dawn in full amina effect.

I do really appreciate the help from everyone. I am honestly not trying to be difficult here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back