Looking for Want To Get into Final Fantasy: Where Do I Start?

Msy

Sup, Guys!

I want to get into the Final Fantasy series however, the series is really long and has so many stories that I don't know where to start! Do I go all the way to the first game or start with the more recent ones?

Help a pal!

And I will try to buy the game, I should start with and, if I'm unable to do that, you can send me video links of a walk or playthrough of it. Either one works for me!

I would start with the most recent which would be Final Fantasy XV. It appears after this latest dlc they've wrapped the game up save for a novel and something else allegedly. It is a decent game, story is good could have been better, battle system is good.

You can pick up the royal edition which includes all the dlc save for the latest episode new at Gamestop for $19.99 plus tax. Depending on how you do you can try Final Fantasy X: Remastered. That's on PS4 too. I think it comes with the download version of Final Fantasy X2. The game is about $14 not too bad of a price. It is turn based, great story, awesome music. I like it better than X2.

You could easily download a final fantasy rom of all their playstation games. Get an emulator, pick one game before the FFX and try it for free.
Accessibility wise you should definitely try to go for FFVI as
1) you can easily get roms for it
2) it is available for mobile
3) it is like the best game of the series imo

You could really pick up with any game that looks interesting to you. You don't have to have played Final Fantasy VII to understand Final Fantasy VIII, for instance. Each has its own unique story (with the exception of sequels, like FFX-2).

But if I were to recommend one Final Fantasy game in particular? It'd be FFIX.

2130600_1.jpg

The story of Final Fantasy IX follows the thief Zidane, a member of the Tantalus Theater Troupe that sets out to kidnap the princess of Alexandria, Garnet Til Alexandros XVII. The war between kingdoms reveals an undercurrent plot that endangers the world of Gaia and Zidane and the friends he meets along the way become entangled in the quest to save it. (Taken from Final Fantasy Wiki)

final-fantasy-ix.jpg

This is an older game. It was made back in 2000 for the original Playstation. The graphics are a little rough compared to what we've got now, but amazingly good for the time and if you play it, you'll quickly get used to it and probably really enjoy the art style and beautiful cut scenes.

It's got an amazing ensemble of characters who each get their own backstory. The plot is incredible and the locations are vast and diverse. It's a turn-based fighting style that emphasizes strategy. Unlike many of the newer FF games, this one doesn't feature a lot of modern technology. Instead, it's more on the level of renaissance meets steam punk.

I just replayed it and bought it in the online Switch store. I believe it's also available through Steam if you're interested.

Final Fantasy is a great franchise though. I'm sure no matter which game you pick, you're going to have a fun time!

I have played these: Final Fantasy 5, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 10, and Final Fantasy 14.

FF5, which is accessible to a smartphone, is very fun. More fun than 8 and 10. FF8 is a masterpiece in its art, the visuals, the music, and the writing. FF8 will hook you in NOT for its "fun-ness" or "gameplay", but through its gem of a storyline. FF10 is terrible if you are spoiled by something like Skyrim where anything goes. However, just like FF8, it's a masterpiece in its art.

And then there's FF14, which is right up there with World of Warcraft in terms of greatness as an MMO.

Oh I should add... I tried FF15.

It's... It doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. I'm not kidding you, it's reminiscent of GTA. XD

It depends on what you want, really. If you want a classic jrpg experience you should go for one of the older ones. If you want a jrpg with good story you should go for the middle ones, like VII for example. If you want a jrpg with a more modern twist the latest ones are good to try. If you want an mmo, play XIV. The series has a lot to offer.

I recommend starting with VI, VII, X, or XV. VI and VII are widely regarded as the best from the series. Both have great stories, great characters, and VII has an amazing sequel in Crisis Core. X is a great entry to start with, it has a good story and fun cast. XV is the latest one, and though it gets a lot of hate for “not being FF” it’s still good. It has a good story, but the absolute highlight of the game (for me, at least) is the characters and their interactions.

Since the games are not connected except X and X-2 and XIII, XIII-2 and Lighting Returns, you can start with any.
It all depends how "modern" game you want to play.
1-6 have 2D Sprite graphics (although 3 and 4 were remade with 3D chibis for 3DS). 7 and onward are in 3D.
There is HD remake of X and X-2 and if you somehow have preference for platform, there are ports to PC, mobiles and Switch. (I think Switch ones are not all out yet but will be out soon)

The only game I *don't* recommend you to start with is FF2. It has nice story but it had somewhat of experimental battle mechanics that did not stay in the series as it was pretty bad. So starting with it will give wrong impression XD

I'd personally recommend FF IX or FF X, but I admit a bias since those are my favourites. I recently started playing FF XV as well. It's good and I'm really enjoying it, but it does deviate from the more traditional feeling of the series a lot in that it's in a more modern fantastical setting with cars, cell phones, etc. Avoid FF XIII at all costs. I did not like that one at all, thus didn't bother with the sequels.

Final Fantasy games I've played:
7 (very little), X, X-2, 12, 13, 15

So in my experience, I'd say start somewhere around 7. Though I played very little of it, I've heard nothing but good things about it! X was the first one I played, and tbh I fell in love with the gameplay and the characters. X-2 was hard to get used to, but I still enjoyed it (except for the having to get 100% for the best ending bs). 12 is fun; I love the characters. I got stuck somewhere in 13 and never picked it back up, and I feel as though 15 is... well, crap. It didn't feel like a FF game to me at all.

Overall, different people are gonna like different things, so my recommendation is to read the summaries and see which you think you might like best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back